“Waste of 4 hours” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Mayan Palace Riviera Maya

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Playa Paraiso
Mayan Palace Riviera Maya
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   Km 48 carretera Federal, Playa Paraiso, Playa del Carmen 77710 , Mexico   |
Ranked #10 of 10 hotels in Playa Paraiso
Oshawa
“Waste of 4 hours”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2004

Just returned from a trip to Cancun and the second last day of our vacation we were approached at Plaza Isla for a free trip to Chiteut ixta (can't remember how to spell it but you know where I mean). We told the sales rep "a large white women from Brooklyn New York", that we already went there, we really did....... and she said well then I will give you your money back. Well this caught our attention because we were talking $150.00 US so we listened and asked questions for a few minutes and learned that we could have a free lunch with drinks after a free taxi ride to Mayan Palace and that they were not going to try to sell us anything!! Bull...........we figured this anyway but the money was in the back of our minds and we had no intention of purchasing "vacation ownership" or anything like it. She promised us it would only take an hour and a half so we went. Oh MY God! The place took my breath away as it would anyone, however the salesmen (plural) kept us there for 3 hours trying to negotiate a "timeshare" deal. He went from $23,000 down to $100.00 and also included a trade-in deal for a cruise.
I was so fed up by the end of this that we finally got our $150.00 and a free ride back to our 2 1/2 * resort in Cancun and got super drunk on at our inexpensive all-inclusive vacation. It did not take much free cervaza to get me going. I will never listen to a speel like that again. And and NO we did not get anything to eat or drink except ice water.

1,986 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (312)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2004

Only moments into our trip to Cancun, my son and I were snookered into an offer for FREE tickets to the Mayan ruins, and the next day we dutifully arrived outside of our hotel (we were at the wonderful Royal Sunset) and ushered by cab 55 miles from the hotel strip in Cancun. The person who put us in the cab told us that it was a mere stone's throw, 20 minutes down the road. It was an hour. We got to the middle of nowhere -- and this was our first whole day on the island -- and the lies continued. No breakfast as promised. We had to pay $20 for FREE tickets and then the offensive sell. We went through five people -- told all of them that I was not interested and they didn't care.
Finally, a lovely guy (I felt bad that his job is so awful) worked up some numbers even though I kept saying that I was not interested. And close to 90,000 US dollars, he quoted. I had my first laugh of the day.
Then, he did some more math and got down to $11,000. (Who are they kidding?) The place was gorgeous but very unfinished and very empty.
Hey, if the product is so nice, why the lies and the more lies??? Then, they dropped us off at a national waterpark (that we had paid our $20 for) and we had to find our own way back later. One cab and one long long long local bus ride. A woman and her family in the cab with us (after this fiasco) said that she thought that they were offering her a free visit to a real PALACE. Boy, was she pissed! STAY AWAY from all of them at the Mayan Palace.

Conrad, Montana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2004

I travel quite a little and found the resort excellent. the Care by the employees was perfect, the reservation staff was perfect, I did not get involved with the timeshare people and they never bothered us..I would reccomend the resort highly.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2004

We purchased a time share at the Mayan Palace last year. We just returned from a two week vacation there. We were very disappointed. You must eat in their restaurants because there is nothing close by. While there are in fact, 4 restaurants they are not all open at the same time. If you want the breakfast buffet be prepared to spend $17 US for breakfast. When we toured the resort we were walked past the pool, shown the beautiful beach but were never told that beyond the sand are rocks, impossible for swimming. The drinks are $6 US each, you even have to pay for water. Nothing is included with your time share other than the bed you sleep in. The grounds were not very pretty, still under construction. We were told when we bought that the resort would be finished by now, however it will be 2006 before it is finished. We arranged to be picked up at the airport by the resort shuttle, it never showed up. If anyone wants to buy a time share cheap call me!

• Stayed March 2004
Cleveland, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2004

Just read the review stating that the resort is about 18 month from completion! Who are they kidding. We were there in September 2002 and they were 12 - 18 months from completion; something doesn't add up.
They wanted $39,000 to be paid over 5 years for the "Vacation Club" they will tell you it is not a "time share", IT IS A VACATION CLUB!!!
If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, it is a ... and don't forget the annual fee. It is not all inclusive and doesn't include airfare. All inclusives 5 star (apples) with airfare for two cost me less than $1600 for 7 days. I spend less than $4500 for two vacations toatling 3 weeks every year (no food shopping, cooking, no bar bill, resturant bill etc). Save your time and money.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2004

I wish I had read the reviews here before I went to Mexico. We just got back from the Mayan Rivieria, (29 March 2004) and the Cancun Mayan Palace is still not finished, and their sales reps are still up to the same tricks.

We were tricked into attending the presentation by a guy at the ferry dock in Playa del Carmen. I asked him several times what they were selling and he told me repeatedly that they were not selling anything - they just wanted us to look at the resort so we would come back in the future or recommend it to our friends and family; it wouldn't take more than 90 minutes; we would get a free breakfast. Apart from the free breakfast, it was all lies. Even breakfast wasn't 'free' since we were asked to leave a tip for the waiter!

Breakfast took about 45 minutes, the tour took over an hour, and then the high pressure sales pitch started. By the time we finally got out of there, we had been there over 5 hours and had seen 4 sales reps - although they all had different titles. Jorge/George was the salesman; Mark was supposed to be a manager, and another one said he was a representative of the hotel owners, not the sales management company.
He was taking a survey, but he then started making a sales pitch too.

In the minibus that took us back to our hotel, we compared notes with the three other couples sharing the ride. Everyone had been given a different story, and a different starting price, tailored to our circumstances. The reps told people whatever they thought would make the sale. When we asked for a written guarantee of the promises they made, they were quite offended.

The plans we had the day were ruined and a whole day of our vacation wasted. One poor woman in the minibus was in tears because she had been harassed so much. Whatever they offer you, it isn't worth it. So if anyone in a yellow Mayan Palace polo shirt tries to talk to you on the street in Playa del Carmen, just keep on going. Don't worry about being rude - they don't.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2004

Just returned from a week and agree 100% with the previous review. The hotel is clean the staff friendly but it is literally in the middle of nowhere and is a concrete jungle and with the future construction planned will be even more so. It was so inconvienent at night to go into playa forget Cancun who wants to drive 35 minutes for a meal on vacation? The amenities now are very limited and I am furious with RCI for awarding a gold crown rating at this point. There was no place on site to buy tennis balls let alone rent/use equipment as most other resorts have- no tennis pro either on call. NO SWIMMABLe beach whatsoever and i agree that it will never be a good beach. Yes you can walk 15 minutes in the heat to an area but that even feels dangerous when you are swimming. There is no supervised kids club for the under 12 group. my son was really looking for a room like the other resorts we have visited with age appropriate activities although they do allow all ages to participate in the regular stuff. The buildings are architecturally ugly and you feel like you are in a conference center when dining in the glass building. On the positve side, the food was excellent and the drinks as well. Again, the babysitters they arrannge get 15 US dollars an hour which is crazy even by NY standards. Would I go back- Never- in my opinion the only way they are going to sell rooms is if they make it all inclusiove and add 4 more restaurnts otherwise your whole trip is spent travelling.

Been to Mayan Palace Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!