“Excellent Resort If You Follow These Instructions” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Mayan Palace Riviera Maya

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Playa Paraiso
Mayan Palace Riviera Maya
Km 48 carretera Federal, Playa Paraiso, Playa del Carmen 77710 , Mexico   |
Ranked #10 of 10 hotels in Playa Paraiso
Staten Island, New York
“Excellent Resort If You Follow These Instructions”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

First off most of the negative reviews are about the timeshare experience so I completely gave the timeshare presentation the cold shoulder. When you first go to check in there will be a guy who will escort you to the check in desk. After you check in he will try to catch you on your way back out where the bell hop has your luggage and sell you on a time share tour. Run away from that guy as fast as possible. If you are booked in buildings 1-8 take the exit on your left. If you are booked in any building above 8 you will have to walk right past him out the main entrance. The time share guy actually chased us out of the lobby and finally gave up after another 50 feet. After that I never heard from them again. The rest of the trip was amazing. Buildings 1-8 really is where you want to be. I was in building 8 which is right next to the lobby and it was never more than a 5 minute walk to the pool for me. The pool is HUGE. Somebody working in the Cancun airport said it is the largest pool in Riviera Maya. The beach is scenic and beautiful if you like to sit out and relax in the sun or under a tree but don't expect to swim in it at all. It is way too rocky. You can expect to pay around 10-20 or more per entree in any restaurant there or you can do the breakfast or dinner buffet. Breakfast buffet was 180 pesos in one restaurant and 280 in another restaurant. I recommend doing the expensive breakfast buffet at least once. The view and assortment was incredible. Dinner buffet was 370 pesos. If you want a yummy sweet treat you HAVE to try the Pastel De Elote at Fridas Restaurant. It's the best. You do have to pay for the gym. If you ask for the price at check in they will tell you 10 per day. If you go straight to the gym and pay there you can get a deal for $28 for 5 days. If you're the type who likes to purchase drinks poolside you might as well rent a Cabana/Palapa. All you have to do to rent a Palapa is spend $30 on either food or drink at the pool. Make sure you don't get ripped off by taxis by checking the price list which is written down on a slab of stone next to the taxi stand. Definitely DO NOT take the YELLOW TAXI SERVICE at the airport. They charged us $80 to take us to the resort from the airport. I believe Mayan Palace has a shuttle service to pick you up from the airport but unfortunately did not look into it. Check user photos for a picture of the grounds map. I will upload it shortly Hope this helps your trip!

Room Tip: Get a room in building 1-8
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

1,960 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (307)
Palmdale, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

Took my 18 year old son on this trip to send him off to the military on a good note. Some friends went with us, which made it that much better. We stayed in the Grand Mayan area of the resort. The two bedroom suite was awesome. It was perfect for us. The boys stayed in the living room on two sofa beds and each of the couples had a bedroom. This is not an all inclusive resort. First time for us traveling to Cancun without all inclusive. It actually worked out great. All the charges go to the room and are itemized on your room receipt, which is available at any time at the front desk. The pools are amazing the staff is very nice, but be careful with the waiters and the charges. Check your receipts every time. We had a bit of a problem at the end after we checked out. It all worked out, but I did make the waiter feel bad for his attempt at a shady deal.

Our taxi driver "Cartas" owns his own cab and will take care of you and have a great deal if there is a group looking to visit surrounding areas. We went to Tulum, Chichenitza, and a Cenote after. We paid out own entry fees, but without having to be on a tour schedule was a great benefit. Cartas waited for us and gave us tips on how long to stay to make sure to maximize the tour. You can get a tour guide at the ruins if you want and at your expense. We didn't and just enjoyed seeing them and taking pictures. If your are going there soon call him up at 984 807 2456 cell. You can also send him an e-mail at rusbel-v-c@live.com

Overall the resort was great. It was a bit in the slower side during the end of October, but the weather was great at 85 degrees daily.

Room Tip: A cab to Playa is 200 pesos for four people and 450 for more than six in a larger van. We used the...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

My husband and I spent a week at the Mayan Palace and we had a great time. The resort is beautiful and the staff does a great job of keeping it clean. The entire staff is extremely friendly and helpful, they really made us feel welcome. We didn't have a single issue from check- in to check- out.
Pros-
-The pool is HUGE and very clean- the best pool I've seen at any resort.
- I can't say enough about the staff- they are so friendly, fun and helpful. The activities staff kept us laughing and went out of their way to make sure we were enjoying ourselves.
- The golf course was nice and not too crowded.
- The buildings are all maintained very well.

Cons-
- I wish there were more restaurants, maybe more variety?
- The food and drinks are expensive. You do get a lot of food, but without a fridge in the room, it doesn't do any good to save left-overs. We ended up throwing away a lot of food.
- Both Playa del Carmen and Cancun are a ways away, so you have to take a little ride to get to anything outside the resort. ($$ and time)
- I must agree, the beds are hard, but nothing unbearable.

** we read a lot of complaints about the pushy time-share people. We only had one guy approach us after check in, and we told him that we'd call him if we were interested ( which we didn't) and we were never bothered again.

If you are looking to get away for a relaxing vacation, The Mayan Palace Resorts are great.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
calgary
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

Most reviews inform you about the state of affairs based on recent travel experiences. In this case, based on my experiences over the last ten years during the Xmas season, I can tell you that this hotel continues keeping a great value proposition while giving you the flexibility of choosing your day-to-day and culinary experiences outside the facility (yes, it is one of the few non-inclusive resorts in the area). Yet when you decide to eat within, many great options at competitive prices. The ambience is right for families and couples alike and my only suggestion is to run the inner train shuttle a bit more often.

Room Tip: Pick the blocks nearby the swimming pool areas. Lower floors are better, no elevators.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Mexico City, Mexico
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Cons: There is no view of the ocean from any rooms. There are no balconies to hang out on. There are no hot tubs. The food in the steak restaurant is marginal at best. There is only one tiny spot in the ocean that you can go in without tough shoes on. The rest is very rocky and painful on the feet. The one area you can go in is shallow, so you can't swim. No one is allowed to pick you up on the property, so you have to get to the main entrance to meet folks. The shuttle service is confusing and slow. Wifi is ridiculously expensive - 70 pesos/hour (about 5 dollars).

Pros: It was nice to have a small kitchen for meals, so we didn't have to eat out a lot. The rooms were very clean. The service was very good. The pool is huge and amazing.

We would not elect to stay here again since we really want a room with a view and a place to swim in the ocean. The other cons, we could deal with.

Room Tip: Insist on a lower number building - the higher the number the further you have to walk to the pool/r...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Atlanta, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

This place is nothing but a sales pitch. Avoid. If you plan to rent a car, watch out. The property does its networking through car rental companies. Hertz, shame on you. We arrived in Cancun and asked for a map. We were directed to a person that started a sales pitch that was nothing short of harassment.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Midwest, USA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

My husband and I just spent 7 nights at the Mayan Palace in Riveria Maya. We did not take the kids, so it was just the two of us. Here's my list.

PROS:

Beautiful, huge pool

Amazing weather while we were there

Overall clean resort (not our room, see below)

(some) nice staff

CONS:

Room Service: took two hours and they argued with me telling me they were only 10 minutes late and not an hour and ten minutes late-what??

SO EXPENSIVE!-we should have brought $3,000 for the two of us to eat. We basically starved and bought peanut butter and bread to eat. We did eat the breakfast buffet twice (not great) and we also ate at the green break (terrible food and cost two people $60 for lunch). Obivously the only way to go to Mexico is to book an all-inclusive package. I can't imagine trying to feed a family.

Location-the resort is not close to anything. If we wanted to try and eat somewhere that didn't cost a million dollars, it would have cost us a fortune in taxi fare to even get anywhere.

Room-We had a studio on the ground floor with no kitchenette. I called to see if they might have a toaster or coffee pot and I was transferred 3 times and then hung up on...TWICE. So much for a toasted peanut butter sandwich.

Cleanliness: The room stunk. The bed was so uncomfortable that my husband could barely stand upright the first 1/2 of each day. I wished desperately I had brought sanitizing wipes or maybe a candle. It was gross. The room is so humid that our bathing suits and towels never dried. The resort will not let you hang your items on the balcony. The resort in itself is very clean and nice. I was incredibly disappointed that our room was not the same.

Constant Sales Pitch: Not only were we bothered at the airport about the timeshare presentation, we were bothered at check-in and then every single day after that. It was incredibly annoying and affected out trip greatly. They would start calling at 8:30am and call multiple times throughout the day and evening. We refused each time and we ended up being forced to be downright rude to the staff in order to get them to leave us alone about it! I am shocked that someone would go through this on their vacation and ever return to this place!

Room Location: We were in building 7, which is close to the lobby but really far from anything else including the pool, grocery, etc. I wished we had a room in bulding 1 or 2.

Tours: We did take a (pre-paid) 13 hour tour to Chichen Itza and various other places but I barely remember it because I was so weak from not being able to afford to eat.

Wildlife: The lizards are cool. The wild cats and dogs everywhere are not. A cat meowed loudly outside of our room all night for the first two nights of our stay. If we left our balcony door open, the cat would come right in, so we had to be on constant guard.

Hostage: Try to check-in or check-out and you are met with someone who wants to chat about where you are from and how you are enjoying your stay and 15 other questions to...kill time? It may sound mean but we were highly annoyed with the lack of any form of speed of service. Check out was a total pain! They won't let you leave until you stand there and fill out a survey on a computer screen where they take 20 minutes to explain everything to try and get you to put high marks on everything. I felt like we were being held hostage for an additional 5-15minutes every time we needed something. We almost missed our shuttle to the airport!

We will not be returning, nor will we ever recommended this place to anyone.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Mayan Palace Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!