“Great vacation spot” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Mayan Palace Riviera Maya

You added Mayan Palace Riviera Maya to your Saves list
Mayan Palace Riviera Maya
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   Km 48 carretera Federal, Playa Paraiso, Playa del Carmen 77710 , Mexico   |
Ranked #10 of 10 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
“Great vacation spot”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

My husband and I spent a week at the Mayan Palace and we had a great time. The resort is beautiful and the staff does a great job of keeping it clean. The entire staff is extremely friendly and helpful, they really made us feel welcome. We didn't have a single issue from check- in to check- out.
Pros-
-The pool is HUGE and very clean- the best pool I've seen at any resort.
- I can't say enough about the staff- they are so friendly, fun and helpful. The activities staff kept us laughing and went out of their way to make sure we were enjoying ourselves.
- The golf course was nice and not too crowded.
- The buildings are all maintained very well.

Cons-
- I wish there were more restaurants, maybe more variety?
- The food and drinks are expensive. You do get a lot of food, but without a fridge in the room, it doesn't do any good to save left-overs. We ended up throwing away a lot of food.
- Both Playa del Carmen and Cancun are a ways away, so you have to take a little ride to get to anything outside the resort. ($$ and time)
- I must agree, the beds are hard, but nothing unbearable.

** we read a lot of complaints about the pushy time-share people. We only had one guy approach us after check in, and we told him that we'd call him if we were interested ( which we didn't) and we were never bothered again.

If you are looking to get away for a relaxing vacation, The Mayan Palace Resorts are great.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (350)
calgary
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

Most reviews inform you about the state of affairs based on recent travel experiences. In this case, based on my experiences over the last ten years during the Xmas season, I can tell you that this hotel continues keeping a great value proposition while giving you the flexibility of choosing your day-to-day and culinary experiences outside the facility (yes, it is one of the few non-inclusive resorts in the area). Yet when you decide to eat within, many great options at competitive prices. The ambience is right for families and couples alike and my only suggestion is to run the inner train shuttle a bit more often.

Room Tip: Pick the blocks nearby the swimming pool areas. Lower floors are better, no elevators.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Mexico City, Mexico
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Cons: There is no view of the ocean from any rooms. There are no balconies to hang out on. There are no hot tubs. The food in the steak restaurant is marginal at best. There is only one tiny spot in the ocean that you can go in without tough shoes on. The rest is very rocky and painful on the feet. The one area you can go in is shallow, so you can't swim. No one is allowed to pick you up on the property, so you have to get to the main entrance to meet folks. The shuttle service is confusing and slow. Wifi is ridiculously expensive - 70 pesos/hour (about 5 dollars).

Pros: It was nice to have a small kitchen for meals, so we didn't have to eat out a lot. The rooms were very clean. The service was very good. The pool is huge and amazing.

We would not elect to stay here again since we really want a room with a view and a place to swim in the ocean. The other cons, we could deal with.

Room Tip: Insist on a lower number building - the higher the number the further you have to walk to the pool/r...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Atlanta, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

This place is nothing but a sales pitch. Avoid. If you plan to rent a car, watch out. The property does its networking through car rental companies. Hertz, shame on you. We arrived in Cancun and asked for a map. We were directed to a person that started a sales pitch that was nothing short of harassment.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Midwest, USA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

My husband and I just spent 7 nights at the Mayan Palace in Riveria Maya. We did not take the kids, so it was just the two of us. Here's my list.

PROS:

Beautiful, huge pool

Amazing weather while we were there

Overall clean resort (not our room, see below)

(some) nice staff

CONS:

Room Service: took two hours and they argued with me telling me they were only 10 minutes late and not an hour and ten minutes late-what??

SO EXPENSIVE!-we should have brought $3,000 for the two of us to eat. We basically starved and bought peanut butter and bread to eat. We did eat the breakfast buffet twice (not great) and we also ate at the green break (terrible food and cost two people $60 for lunch). Obivously the only way to go to Mexico is to book an all-inclusive package. I can't imagine trying to feed a family.

Location-the resort is not close to anything. If we wanted to try and eat somewhere that didn't cost a million dollars, it would have cost us a fortune in taxi fare to even get anywhere.

Room-We had a studio on the ground floor with no kitchenette. I called to see if they might have a toaster or coffee pot and I was transferred 3 times and then hung up on...TWICE. So much for a toasted peanut butter sandwich.

Cleanliness: The room stunk. The bed was so uncomfortable that my husband could barely stand upright the first 1/2 of each day. I wished desperately I had brought sanitizing wipes or maybe a candle. It was gross. The room is so humid that our bathing suits and towels never dried. The resort will not let you hang your items on the balcony. The resort in itself is very clean and nice. I was incredibly disappointed that our room was not the same.

Constant Sales Pitch: Not only were we bothered at the airport about the timeshare presentation, we were bothered at check-in and then every single day after that. It was incredibly annoying and affected out trip greatly. They would start calling at 8:30am and call multiple times throughout the day and evening. We refused each time and we ended up being forced to be downright rude to the staff in order to get them to leave us alone about it! I am shocked that someone would go through this on their vacation and ever return to this place!

Room Location: We were in building 7, which is close to the lobby but really far from anything else including the pool, grocery, etc. I wished we had a room in bulding 1 or 2.

Tours: We did take a (pre-paid) 13 hour tour to Chichen Itza and various other places but I barely remember it because I was so weak from not being able to afford to eat.

Wildlife: The lizards are cool. The wild cats and dogs everywhere are not. A cat meowed loudly outside of our room all night for the first two nights of our stay. If we left our balcony door open, the cat would come right in, so we had to be on constant guard.

Hostage: Try to check-in or check-out and you are met with someone who wants to chat about where you are from and how you are enjoying your stay and 15 other questions to...kill time? It may sound mean but we were highly annoyed with the lack of any form of speed of service. Check out was a total pain! They won't let you leave until you stand there and fill out a survey on a computer screen where they take 20 minutes to explain everything to try and get you to put high marks on everything. I felt like we were being held hostage for an additional 5-15minutes every time we needed something. We almost missed our shuttle to the airport!

We will not be returning, nor will we ever recommended this place to anyone.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Orange Park
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

Ok let’s first start by saying I got my room for 4nights thru a deal with living social. At the time of booking my trip I had the option to upgrade to a suite at the mayan palace or grand mayan for a flat rate- I didn't do it :( So our trip for those nights ended up being in the grand mayan master room. The beds are ridiculously hard. They did give you the egg foam padding if you asked- that are well worn. The pillows worked for me- I make my pillows make an upside down u around me anyway. With all that said I slept great actually- might have been all that tequila I had been consuming!!! The master room gets an ok rating because it's bigger than your average size hotel room, BUT for what they charge regular ($495/night- USD) It’s sooo not worth it! No frige, microwave, the tub was gross- had to call housekeeping to come and clean it. The hotel is stupid expensive!! The 2nd day we were there we went to the restaurant by the pool and where they do activities, ordered a total of 4 mimosas and paid 480 pesos! That's too much Jesus!!! We rented a car for the week for ~$95 usd for the week- ended up getting it for $33 after we went and listened to a speal about RCI hotels (breakfast, all the tequila you can drink!! and lunch- cuz we actually signed up for their vacation club) so, it was well worth it. So, needless to say we ate EVERY meal off the resort! Actually we only came back to the resort to sleep- terrible I know! The pool was gorgeous, but never got in it. Everytime we went in the morning to go get our towels for playa del carmen we would say "we're coming back early today to enjoy this pool", but never made it back with enough energy to do so. Check in was easy. There was a lady who came to us quickly after we left the front desk to give us a map of the grounds and try to sign us up for a "90min" free breakfast... We told her to give us a moment to unwind and unpack and we would call down- we never did. She called the day before we left and we told her we had plans and she was cool- absolutely no pressure!! That's all I have to say about the hotel

Playa del carmen: GO!!! Messages, drinks, great food (el fogon- the kabobs and margaritas!! on 30th ave; los aguachiles- everything, off of av constiuentes and 5th ave; some other places that served you right on the beach, but can't remember the name), shopping, beaches, drinks!!!!!

Money exchange- Don't exchange in US. You get more for your money in Mexico. I know for a fact there isn't a commission if you change it in the airport in Mexico. The best rate I saw was at a place in playa for 12+ change to 1 USD. My rate in Dallas/Ft. Worth was 11.15 to $1 USD. The hotel was a little better (11.80 to 1) with no commission. I would definitely exchange to pesos though, it makes it easier. Speak with your bank first before you use your atm/debit card because there might be a 3% fee charged to you in Mexico and another charge your bank may charge.

Walmart- GO!!! if you aren't staying at an all inclusive.

Beware: everyone wants to sell you something- another vacation, tours etc- the answer to this is say no or that you have a car and they'll leave you alone. The money is in the tours b/c they provide transportation, food, the activity and a guide. BUT if you have a car the entrance fee to a lot of these things are super cheap and guides are very affordable too.

Driving around is super easy!! It's a straight shot to every where. For playa del carmen if your coming from cancun or riviera maya go to playa del carmen center ave and make a left and drive down.

Room Tip: Stayed in building 5 which is a slow-quick walk to the pool and a quick walk to self parking.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Denver, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

Beds are terrible, supposedly you can ask for an egg create topper
Pillows are bricks
It's a 5min walk to the beach/pool area from most rooms
Beware of the Chechen Negro tree - I got a huge chemical burn on my hand
You will be harassed about timeshares for the first 2 days
Staff was wonderful
Food was average
Beach is not for swimming, very rocky
Prices are high (go into town and buy your own snacks, drinks)
Take off the wristband when you go into town
Take the bus into town - all you have to do is stand on the side of the highway and stick your hand up when they flash the lights at you - it's 30 pesos
If your brave eat the real local food (not on 5th street in Playa del Carmen) - don't really have to be that brave if you choose well.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Mayan Palace Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!