“Consistenly great value over the last ten years” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Mayan Palace Riviera Maya

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Playa Paraiso
Mayan Palace Riviera Maya
Km 48 carretera Federal, Playa Paraiso, Playa del Carmen 77710 , Mexico   |
Ranked #10 of 10 hotels in Playa Paraiso
calgary
“Consistenly great value over the last ten years”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

Most reviews inform you about the state of affairs based on recent travel experiences. In this case, based on my experiences over the last ten years during the Xmas season, I can tell you that this hotel continues keeping a great value proposition while giving you the flexibility of choosing your day-to-day and culinary experiences outside the facility (yes, it is one of the few non-inclusive resorts in the area). Yet when you decide to eat within, many great options at competitive prices. The ambience is right for families and couples alike and my only suggestion is to run the inner train shuttle a bit more often.

Room Tip: Pick the blocks nearby the swimming pool areas. Lower floors are better, no elevators.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family

1,960 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (307)
Mexico City, Mexico
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Cons: There is no view of the ocean from any rooms. There are no balconies to hang out on. There are no hot tubs. The food in the steak restaurant is marginal at best. There is only one tiny spot in the ocean that you can go in without tough shoes on. The rest is very rocky and painful on the feet. The one area you can go in is shallow, so you can't swim. No one is allowed to pick you up on the property, so you have to get to the main entrance to meet folks. The shuttle service is confusing and slow. Wifi is ridiculously expensive - 70 pesos/hour (about 5 dollars).

Pros: It was nice to have a small kitchen for meals, so we didn't have to eat out a lot. The rooms were very clean. The service was very good. The pool is huge and amazing.

We would not elect to stay here again since we really want a room with a view and a place to swim in the ocean. The other cons, we could deal with.

Room Tip: Insist on a lower number building - the higher the number the further you have to walk to the pool/r...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Atlanta, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

This place is nothing but a sales pitch. Avoid. If you plan to rent a car, watch out. The property does its networking through car rental companies. Hertz, shame on you. We arrived in Cancun and asked for a map. We were directed to a person that started a sales pitch that was nothing short of harassment.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Midwest, USA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

My husband and I just spent 7 nights at the Mayan Palace in Riveria Maya. We did not take the kids, so it was just the two of us. Here's my list.

PROS:

Beautiful, huge pool

Amazing weather while we were there

Overall clean resort (not our room, see below)

(some) nice staff

CONS:

Room Service: took two hours and they argued with me telling me they were only 10 minutes late and not an hour and ten minutes late-what??

SO EXPENSIVE!-we should have brought $3,000 for the two of us to eat. We basically starved and bought peanut butter and bread to eat. We did eat the breakfast buffet twice (not great) and we also ate at the green break (terrible food and cost two people $60 for lunch). Obivously the only way to go to Mexico is to book an all-inclusive package. I can't imagine trying to feed a family.

Location-the resort is not close to anything. If we wanted to try and eat somewhere that didn't cost a million dollars, it would have cost us a fortune in taxi fare to even get anywhere.

Room-We had a studio on the ground floor with no kitchenette. I called to see if they might have a toaster or coffee pot and I was transferred 3 times and then hung up on...TWICE. So much for a toasted peanut butter sandwich.

Cleanliness: The room stunk. The bed was so uncomfortable that my husband could barely stand upright the first 1/2 of each day. I wished desperately I had brought sanitizing wipes or maybe a candle. It was gross. The room is so humid that our bathing suits and towels never dried. The resort will not let you hang your items on the balcony. The resort in itself is very clean and nice. I was incredibly disappointed that our room was not the same.

Constant Sales Pitch: Not only were we bothered at the airport about the timeshare presentation, we were bothered at check-in and then every single day after that. It was incredibly annoying and affected out trip greatly. They would start calling at 8:30am and call multiple times throughout the day and evening. We refused each time and we ended up being forced to be downright rude to the staff in order to get them to leave us alone about it! I am shocked that someone would go through this on their vacation and ever return to this place!

Room Location: We were in building 7, which is close to the lobby but really far from anything else including the pool, grocery, etc. I wished we had a room in bulding 1 or 2.

Tours: We did take a (pre-paid) 13 hour tour to Chichen Itza and various other places but I barely remember it because I was so weak from not being able to afford to eat.

Wildlife: The lizards are cool. The wild cats and dogs everywhere are not. A cat meowed loudly outside of our room all night for the first two nights of our stay. If we left our balcony door open, the cat would come right in, so we had to be on constant guard.

Hostage: Try to check-in or check-out and you are met with someone who wants to chat about where you are from and how you are enjoying your stay and 15 other questions to...kill time? It may sound mean but we were highly annoyed with the lack of any form of speed of service. Check out was a total pain! They won't let you leave until you stand there and fill out a survey on a computer screen where they take 20 minutes to explain everything to try and get you to put high marks on everything. I felt like we were being held hostage for an additional 5-15minutes every time we needed something. We almost missed our shuttle to the airport!

We will not be returning, nor will we ever recommended this place to anyone.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Orange Park
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

Ok let’s first start by saying I got my room for 4nights thru a deal with living social. At the time of booking my trip I had the option to upgrade to a suite at the mayan palace or grand mayan for a flat rate- I didn't do it :( So our trip for those nights ended up being in the grand mayan master room. The beds are ridiculously hard. They did give you the egg foam padding if you asked- that are well worn. The pillows worked for me- I make my pillows make an upside down u around me anyway. With all that said I slept great actually- might have been all that tequila I had been consuming!!! The master room gets an ok rating because it's bigger than your average size hotel room, BUT for what they charge regular ($495/night- USD) It’s sooo not worth it! No frige, microwave, the tub was gross- had to call housekeeping to come and clean it. The hotel is stupid expensive!! The 2nd day we were there we went to the restaurant by the pool and where they do activities, ordered a total of 4 mimosas and paid 480 pesos! That's too much Jesus!!! We rented a car for the week for ~$95 usd for the week- ended up getting it for $33 after we went and listened to a speal about RCI hotels (breakfast, all the tequila you can drink!! and lunch- cuz we actually signed up for their vacation club) so, it was well worth it. So, needless to say we ate EVERY meal off the resort! Actually we only came back to the resort to sleep- terrible I know! The pool was gorgeous, but never got in it. Everytime we went in the morning to go get our towels for playa del carmen we would say "we're coming back early today to enjoy this pool", but never made it back with enough energy to do so. Check in was easy. There was a lady who came to us quickly after we left the front desk to give us a map of the grounds and try to sign us up for a "90min" free breakfast... We told her to give us a moment to unwind and unpack and we would call down- we never did. She called the day before we left and we told her we had plans and she was cool- absolutely no pressure!! That's all I have to say about the hotel

Playa del carmen: GO!!! Messages, drinks, great food (el fogon- the kabobs and margaritas!! on 30th ave; los aguachiles- everything, off of av constiuentes and 5th ave; some other places that served you right on the beach, but can't remember the name), shopping, beaches, drinks!!!!!

Money exchange- Don't exchange in US. You get more for your money in Mexico. I know for a fact there isn't a commission if you change it in the airport in Mexico. The best rate I saw was at a place in playa for 12+ change to 1 USD. My rate in Dallas/Ft. Worth was 11.15 to $1 USD. The hotel was a little better (11.80 to 1) with no commission. I would definitely exchange to pesos though, it makes it easier. Speak with your bank first before you use your atm/debit card because there might be a 3% fee charged to you in Mexico and another charge your bank may charge.

Walmart- GO!!! if you aren't staying at an all inclusive.

Beware: everyone wants to sell you something- another vacation, tours etc- the answer to this is say no or that you have a car and they'll leave you alone. The money is in the tours b/c they provide transportation, food, the activity and a guide. BUT if you have a car the entrance fee to a lot of these things are super cheap and guides are very affordable too.

Driving around is super easy!! It's a straight shot to every where. For playa del carmen if your coming from cancun or riviera maya go to playa del carmen center ave and make a left and drive down.

Room Tip: Stayed in building 5 which is a slow-quick walk to the pool and a quick walk to self parking.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Denver, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

Beds are terrible, supposedly you can ask for an egg create topper
Pillows are bricks
It's a 5min walk to the beach/pool area from most rooms
Beware of the Chechen Negro tree - I got a huge chemical burn on my hand
You will be harassed about timeshares for the first 2 days
Staff was wonderful
Food was average
Beach is not for swimming, very rocky
Prices are high (go into town and buy your own snacks, drinks)
Take off the wristband when you go into town
Take the bus into town - all you have to do is stand on the side of the highway and stick your hand up when they flash the lights at you - it's 30 pesos
If your brave eat the real local food (not on 5th street in Playa del Carmen) - don't really have to be that brave if you choose well.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

Resort is amazing we stayed before at another Mayan and they all tend to be just out of this world 5 stars in my book. Grounds , lots of Pools , everything perfect, just no beach to get in the ocean and enjoy the Caribbean waters (took water shoes but were not able to use because the floor of ocean at the mayan is basically a mountain of coral with 2-3 foot slippery holes that no shoes in world can work). They have large golf carts/shuttles to take you around the resort and i know some folks complained but i think most we waited was like 3 minutes and if you don't have 3 minutes on a vacation then ....plus kids loved it and us being shuttled around specially after a few coronas . We rented a car because we wanted see around a bit. Resort is right of main road 307 that goes near coastline across from cancun all the way to Playa Carmen and Tulum. Resort is About 30 minutes drive from Cancun and 30 minutes from Playa Carmen right in middle. Prices are ok were kind of cheap also so we went Walmart bought some food to make but only ended up eating the morning cereals and milk and coffees. Rest we went out either on site restaurants or outside resort in Playa Carmen. Prices in resort I mean 13-17 dollars a portion, 3 dollars a coke no refills what do you want , same in Playa Carmen unless you can convince your wife (i could not) to take chance at city taco stands and risk the ...Montezuma Revenge afterwords :). It was just fun be out not inside making mac and cheese and spaghetti kind against purpose of vacation to relax and pamper yourself. So in summary being that i stayed in hotels and resorts all over the world from europe to us, the resort is amazing but depends what your style is when you vacation and what you are looking for and what makes your needs feel met when you to to a beach type destination. For us the only thing missing was ability to go on beach and get in water, rest was perfect , sitting by the pool instead of by the beach just wasn't our style we have a pool at home in Arizona and why travel hundreds of miles to sit by one somewhere else. So as a result we ended up driving every day to Playa de Carmen and further in Tulum where the beaches are out of a dream there sand not a rock and crystal waters. Can you find a resort that is as amazing as the Mayan and with the perfect beach guess .. keep looking. Would i come back? yes we would but still would go out daily to get some ocean bit inconvenient. As far as the rental if you are fairly comfortable driving foreign countries which i am and done it many time rent car if not don't. Hope this helps someone

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Been to Mayan Palace Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!