“We did'nt want to leave!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Iberostar Paraiso Lindo

You added Iberostar Paraiso Lindo to your Saves list
Iberostar Paraiso Lindo
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carrt Chetumal - Pto Juarez km. 309, Playa Paraiso, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Montreal
“We did'nt want to leave!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2011

The Iberostar Paraiso Lindo had all we need for the whole family. The lazy river and the wave pool were very popular, as well as the night shows (both for kids and adults). The staff was very nice, the sight was very clean, the gardens beautiful and the rooms quiet.

The food was good and there was juice made from fresh fruits everywhere (buffet, restaurants, pool bar).

The beach was beautiful and wide, but frequently had red flags (forbidden to swim), wich was a little frustrating. In some areas, you need swimming shoes to walk around. For Scuba diving, forget it, the waves are too big. Gardens are beautiful.

The sight is big and you can go to the other Iberostars nearby to try other restaurants, show, pool and activities. There is a lot of activities for everybody, but you can always find quiets places to relax. For little kids, bring a stroller to explore all around, the grounds are hudge.

If you want to go to a nice and quiet place outside the resort, try Xel-Ha, it is beautiful and not crowded as Chichen Itza. You can swim all day with colorful fishes, explore caves, walk in the forest, jump from a cliff into the water,... at your own rythm.

We would go back again to this resort without hesitation!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (700)
nova scotia Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2011

Went to Iberostar with hubby and young teen son in March 2010. At first we had reservations in Paraiso but I decided to upgrade to Lindo so that we could take advantage of all pools and restaurants. I thought my son would feel "deprived" if he couldn't do the lazy river (it is rather fun.... I have to say...).

The whole resort is really spectacular - we walked it all - tried out all the buffet restaurants. Actually we preferred the open air buffets to the closed air conditioned ones at Lindo/Maya. I also loved the little buffets close to the beach of the Paraiso section where you can get lovely breakfasts and be by the pool.

The pools are amazing - particularly the one of the Paraiso side - quieter, amazing vegetation along the side of the meandering long pool. I also liked the lobbies on the Paraiso side better. Actually when I think of it .....if I were just going as an adult with other adults who are nature lovers....I think I would choose the Paraiso side. The beach was good but not my favorite beach - it was rather wavy and windy the week we were there....I prefer calmer beach water. However, they have a great sort of board walk area where you can walk across the long beach without walking on the sand if you prefer.

The real stars of this resort are the flora and fauna - again particularly on the Paraiso side.

We also went to Paraiso Tucan near Playa del Carmen, where you can get a free day pass if you are staying at the Lindo. We actually enjoyed that greatly - much smaller than the Lindo complex - but wonderful jungle and the pool and beach are close to each other. They had just fixed up the beach when we were there and the beach was great. I might consider going to that resort sometime - wth adults.

I can't comment on the shows since - with the walking and swimming we did all day I was pretty pooped out by 10 PM. I really loved walking around this resort - including the lobbies of all four hotels and walking through the courtyards of the Lindo and Maya buildings - beautiful courtyards.

It never seemed crowded when we were there (mid March 2010) - never had trouble getting any a la carte reservations we wanted. I wasn't crazy about the a la carte restaurants since most of them were inside - with no windows. However, the Mexican restaurant- by the Lindo pool was more open as was the Italian.

This year I am going to the Barcelo Palace with my sister (just two adults this time!). I like to check out different resorts and look forward to the snorkeling there. But I'm pretty sure the grounds will not compare the Iberostar.

Yes.....this really is a spectacular resort

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
Yardley, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2011

We were talked into vacationing at the Iberostar Lindo by our travel agent because we could not get flights to Jamaica. It turned out to be the best thing to ever happen. We have 3 children 17,13 and 9. There were plenty of activities to keep each of them busy and meeting friends. The food was outstanding and the service could not have been better. We all looked forward to the towel animals left by housekeeping each day. The atmosphere was very relaxed. We attended the New Year's Eve Gala and the party in the theater leading up to midnight. We had a blast. The shows were very professional and included lots of guests in the pre-show put on by The Star Friends. The Star Friends were extremely energetic and friendly. I don't know if they ever sleep. Our family especially loved Ana who ran the archery and air gun tournaments. The beach was clean, the pools were beautiful and the snacks, ice cream and drinks were plenty. We are already trying to plan our next trip back.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Rhode Island, USA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2011

My husband and I stayed at this resort Nov 14 - Nov 19, 2010, we are no stangers to All Inclusive vacations. We travel to the Carribean often but have not been to Cancun/Maya for quite some time. We decided to take a quick last minute break before busy time at our jobs began. Flight from The Northeast to Cancun was on time and non eventful, we arranged for USA Transfers to transport to and from hotel, was quick and polite. The checkin at Lindo was fine, all employees were extremly polite and eager to please. We hit the gym on the first two days for a workout and a run on the treadmills, equipment was good, gym was clean. I should mention we pretty much watch what we eat and continue to workout on our vacations, we aren't eat around the clock type of all inclusive patrons.
Our first meal was at the Mexican Buffet since we didn't arrange for a reservation for the first night. Food was actually okay, we had taco's, burrito's, salsa, etc..this hit the spot probably because we were traveling most of the afternoon .... it gets worse from here though. First breakfast buffet the next day was below average for an all inclusive resort.... eggs, waffles, pancakes, your standard buffet breakfast food but with very little taste. We decided to hit the beach and have lunch at the restaurant on the beach.. Not sure what they were serving but from where we come from hamburgers are made from beef, one bite sent us up to the resort back to the buffet, same selection from previous 2 meals, just more lunch type foods, bland, tasteless. We looked forward to our sit down dinner that night but was disappointed once again. We couldn't get a thing we ordered or put on our plates to taste like anything. It got to the point where my husband was making his own guacamole and salsa with what he could gather from the buffet. I'm not sure if it was the beach food, the buffet or the dinner that night (Steak House, suppose to be 5 star, really????) that made me sick but boy was I sick! Days 3-5 were spent either by the pool very close to a bathroom or in bed. I had to go to the pharmacy on Day 3 for prescription strength Amodium - the Pepto and Tums that I packed didn't touch whatever this was. I quickly learned from the gentleman that plans the excursions that I wasn't the only one with stomach troubles that week. This put a damper on our plans as we prearranged an all day excursion at Xcaret on Day 4 for snorkling, we had to move it to our last full day in Maya, Day 5 and it poured buckets of rain that day. After 2 days of plain tea, a banana and 10 bottles of water I was able to eat a small lunch at Xcaret (included in the excursion) and the food was SPECTACULAR. We were disappointed in our trip to Lindo mostly due to the food, it was borderline inedible, seriously. My husband is finishing up his culinary internship and we put a lot of thought into our meals and dining experience is a very important part of our vacation, these reviews have to be written by people that settle for terribly bland food or the head chef for the resort was on vacation the week we were there, that's all we can make of these above average reviews. I'll be sure to think twice before picking a resort based on Trip Advisor reviews next time.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Winnipeg, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2011

We stayed here Jan 1 -8th with our 17month old boy and 6 other family members.

We've stayed at the El Senador in Cayo Coco Cuba (now KH Krystal I believe) Sandals Varadero, Sunscape Casa Del Mar La Romana (now Dreams) Barcelo Palace Punta Cana, Royal Solaris Cancun and Thailand (but not all inclusive). So these are the places I have to compare the Iberostar Lindo to.

First the good, this place is the most beautiful place we've been to with incredible stone work, granite and marble tile every where. It's has the wow factor. Everything is very clean, the maids did a good job and the concierge service at each building is a great idea and they do a great job. The beach is as beautiful as you'd expect in the mayan riviera. Over all, we had a good vacation.

The bad (more like - things to consider):

The pool area is very crowded with IMO way to many palapas. I was up before 6 am everyday (thanks to the boy) and would go to the beach to reserve spots (yes if you want the best spots you need to be there BEFORE 7am!) The pool area however would start being reserved before I even got up! All the best spots there would be gone before 6am so I have no idea when these people would be reserving them. The problem is if you don't get a front row, you will have nothing but shade ALL DAY at the pool. I would say 80% of the seating provides no sun at all - seriously, the palapas are all touching one another and provide a total canopy. So if you like shade you'll love it. I go the the caribbean for sun.

This place is MASSIVE, I thought the Barcelo complex in Punta Cana was huge, this place is way bigger. So you will be walking and walking no matter what building you're in. The beach is huge as well and there are way more people on the beach then any place we've been to so if you want to just relax - good luck, it's very busy. If you like a crowded beach you'll really like it.

Kids (like us) they are everywhere, so if you are a couple or don't want a ton of kids and babies running around, crying and screaming this may not be the place for you. If you have kids then it's good because if your kid(s) are crying or misbehaving you won't feel like you need to get up and leave the reastaurants because like I said there are a ton of other families with the same situation.

The ugly:

Service issues. This was by far the biggest surprise for me. The reviews make it sound like this place has unparalleled service. Now don't get me wrong, 90% of the service was good and with a smile. The surprising part for us was the other 10%, many of the staff in the buffets have this sour look of there face and if you asked for something would actually roll there eyes or start to mumble something under their breath. I felt like I was at home where you expect cranky jaded service. One guy at the beach grill actuall got mad at me when I asked for a freashly cooked burger rather than the cold dried out ones in the serving area. I told him no, I'd like a fresh one please, he then digs through the fresher one and gives me the oldest ones there. This isn't that big of a deal but it's not want I was expecting here. Now for the worst part. The snack bar buffet that is closest the the beach closes at 4:30 for supper. If you need everyone OUT by 4:30 then you should close it ar 3:30 - 4:00'ish. We made the terrible mistake of going in at 4:15. After being avoided like the plague I finally asked a waitor for a high chair for the baby. He does'nt even acknowledge my request, just turns and walks away, so now I'm thinking did this guy hear me and is getting a chair or did he just leave. My wife goes and gets some food as I'm standing there with the baby waiting, the waitor comes back and drops the chair in a throwing sliding motion towards me and again doesn't even make eye contact just instantly walks away. He couldn't possibly make me feel more like a pain in his backside. Wife comes back and now I go to get food. There is no cuttlery, I grab a plate and I'm not kidding you, they litterally are pulling the heating bins and trays of food away from me as I'm going to reach for items. I couldn't believe it, I'm standing there like an idiot holding my plate as they take the food from me and are very carefull not to make eye contact with me. This caused me to do something I've never even remotely considered at an all inclusive, I went and complained to our concierge. He was sympathetic and said he would let his manager know. I never heard anything from the manger. I do have the say this was on the 2nd day and we didn't have another problem after.

The food, some of it was the worst we've had anywhere, and some it was very good. I guess when you pay for a higher end place like this you expect it to be a little better. It was middle of the pack at best. Drinks, good, but again nothing special, middle of the pack.

All in all this place is beautifull, I was just a little disappointed because it is on the higher price end of resorts and over all I would take any of the other resorts we've been to over this one.

If you've booked already, don't worry, it's a very nice place, just maybe temper your expectations just a little. I was very excited and was expecting it to be the best place we've been to as it was the most money. It wasn't.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
alberta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2011

I stayed at the Lindo Dec 21-28 2010 with my husband, 11 year old son and parents. I was curious before going what the difference between the Lindo and Maya was so if you had this question too please read on!
The Iberostar is divided into (in order of ascending cost) the Del Mar, Beach, Lindo, Maya and Paraiso. The higher you are on the food chain the more amenities you have. Guests of the DM and B cannot access the beach bar and snack bar or the wave pool/lazy river of the L&M. L&M guests can go to ALL the restaurants and pools of the resorts below them but no-one can go to the Paraiso except P guests. L&M buildings share the pool/wave pool/lazy river and beach with bar and snack bar. The L&M guests also have unlimited a la carte meals. Other than differences in the rooms between L&M there is no difference between the resorts and I cannot comment if the room upgrade would be worth the extra $. I was very satisfied with my Lindo room, we had a choice between a king and sofa bed or two full beds. We stayed in building 55 on the third floor.
Here are my thoughts on things that might interest you:
A LA CARTES: reserve your meals as soon as you get to the hotel in order to get what you want. We went to the Japanese, Cajun, Mediterranean and Brazilian restaurants. They only take limited seating and the Japanese is very popular. By reserving the first night I got into the Japanese restaurant on my last night there. My parents are very picky eaters and they liked them all. The Cajun restaurant is not spicy or authentic but still tasty. My favorite was the Japanese restaurant, they put on a great show and the food was great.
BUFFETS: There are two for breakfast, the best is the one in the lobby that has fresh made deep fried doughnuts. For lunch you can go to the pool side buffets: the Maya one has good Mexican tacos and the Lindo one does not have any Mexican food. There is also a beach BBQ for lunch which has paella twice a week which is made on the beach and yummy.
BEACH: great sand, no fish for snorkeling, surf is great for boogie boarding. You can rent a BB for $15/day or buy one for $28. We bought one and gave it away at the end of the trip, the guys loved it. There are signs saying you cannot reserve the chairs but if you didn't you would not get one. My husband had to get up at 6 am to get us a spot on the beach under a palapa.
COTIS: the walkway to the beach is running the gauntlet of the cotis, small rodent like mammals that really want to be fed. DO NOT FEED THEM! They can get quite aggressive if they see you have food.
POOL: The activity pool has the warmest water, otherwise the pools are colder than I like. The wave pool runs 15 minutes every hour starting at 11 am and the lazy river is also fun. My mom doesn't swim and she found the lazy river very safe and enjoyable.
SHOPPING: there is a complex in the resort that has leather, women's clothing, jewellery and typical souvenirs. If you are a shopaholic you need to go to Playa del Carmen for the deals and the atmosphere.
MEXICAN CULTURE: this is the one area I was disappointed in. Other places I have stayed at had mariachi bands and more Mexican food in the buffet. You would not know you were in Mexico from the food served or entertainment provided. Even the staff were not speaking Spanish, they wanted to use their English more.
PESOS/USD: The exchange rate given was 12:1. Pesos were easier to deal with but you could still get away with just taking US cash.
TIPPING: People did not tip a lot when I was there. I am used to tipping generously at the a la cartes and I was the only one doing this here. Tipping my maid gave me great service for the week, tipping the bartenders did not give me stronger drinks and was not greeted with enthusiasm. Service in the buffets was better than some places but worse than others I have been to.
In conclusion, I loved this resort! It had good food, a great beach, good service, and my son loved the wave pool/lazy river. I have been to six resorts now in this area and this is the first one I would not hesitate to go back to.

Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Alberta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2011

This was our third trip to this area. This time, as well as taking our 12 & 13 year old children, my parents who are in their late 60's also came. After reading other reviews, my main concerns were horrible beds and a resort too massive to get around in. After being there for two weeks over Christmas, these issues were non existent! The beds were fine, none of us found them to be too hard at all. As for the resort being too large... seriously... how lazy are you people?!? We were in building 51 (perfect location) and we could walk to the buffet in about 5 minutes. My mom could do it in 10 minutes and needs a knee replacement. So it is not a bad walk at all. We were also very close to the beach which was huge and had tons of chairs for everyone. You still have the odd moron that saves their seat with a towel, but whatever. There are plenty there as well as by the pool. We never had any trouble finding a place either in the sun or the shade. Yes, the pools are cold, but it feels pretty good after baking in the sun. We only ate at the buffet. We have never been a fan of a la cartes (just who we are). Even after two weeks there was always something to eat. The food was the usual resort type fair, and was always hot and kept clean. (although people with small children who let them go and get their own food, need to clean up the mess they always leave behind) I am a very picky eater and so is my daughter and neither of us starved. The chef, Isaac, even came out and talked to us a few times. He's the sweetest guy ever. Wanted to know if we had any concerns or food allergies. If you are going as a young couple or a group of friends that want to party, this is NOT the place for you. There were really just families there and tons of kids. Some people may find them annoying, but honestly, they aren't my problem so I didn't give them a second thought. People also complained in previous reviews about the weird hair dryer. Yes, it looks weird.. does it dry your hair? Yes it does, so what's the problem? We also had to take our daughter to the hospital in Cancun due to an ear infection. The clinic at the resort was excellent. The dr saw us right away and set up an appointment with a specialist in Cancun that day. She called a cab for us and assured us he would wait with us at the hospital and bring us back as well. When we returned we were barely in the room when we got a call from the hotel asking if everything was alright and if we needed anything. Long story short, the resort was gorgeous, trees and animals everywhere, and I can't wait to go back next year. I miss the fresh donuts for breakfast, they were the best!!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family

Been to Iberostar Paraiso Lindo? Share your experiences!