“Fantastic resort and great service” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Iberostar Paraiso Lindo

You added Iberostar Paraiso Lindo to your Saves list
Iberostar Paraiso Lindo
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carrt Chetumal - Pto Juarez km. 309, Playa Paraiso, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
Montreal
“Fantastic resort and great service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2010

We were there on our Honeymoon. Nothing but good things to say. It is my 6th or 7th all-inclusive (Cuba, Dominican, Mexico) and it was by far the nicest one I've stayed at so far. Very elegant setup, spread out between multiple affiliated/linked Iberostar resorts. Walkways over pools of water, well thought out design for guests' convenience and for keeping it clean. Super nice.

We let them know it was our honeymoon and they re-assigned us to what they thought was a nicer room. I don't know what the original room was like, but the one we got was sizeable, very clean and comfortable, and had a really cozy balcony overlooking the wave pool. When we went in, there were honeymooner t-shirts on the counter (which we didn't wear...but nice touch) as well as a bottle of champagne on ice.

To avoid writing a huge review, I'll just sum up the points I liked most...
-The buffet was varied enough and the food was good. There was an alternate smaller buffet that opened later and closed later (for the slowpokes and late sleepers). You could also go to the linked resorts' buffets, but we didn't.
-There were more a la carte restos (with no booking limit) than we could do in a week, and we enjoyed all of the ones that we tried. The ones we tried also all had mini-buffets in them and when I found that I was still hungry after 1 main dish...they brought me another plate of the same :) (I'm a big eater). Honorable mention to the Steak House, it was fantastic. Other resorts a la cartes usually found me in the buffet later. Not this time :)
- The pools were large, the swimup bar and lazy river were nice, and the wave pool was a blast.
- Very short walk to the beach and its on a gorgeous stretch of it.
- Tested out the room service several times at all hours. Service was pretty quick, though it was not a huge menu....still at 3am....a pizza, chicken wrap & dessert works just fine. There is also a 24hour hamburger place on the other side of the resort, attached to a mini-shopping center and ice-cream parlor.
-Room's mini-bar was included and restocked constantly.
-Our room was made up about 3 times per day. We would take a nap, head out...come back...and it would be made up...again and again. Everyday was like that. Perfect.
-The staff were freindly and the majority were very efficient and dilligent. We were surprised (pleasantly) to continually see staff cleaning and maintaining everything from the flowerpots, to the odd tile...to scrubbing the fountains and pools....it is a very big resort...and whenever we turned a corner....someone was cleaning something.
-24 hour conscierge service, 1 per building complex...for making/changing resto reservations and helping out with anything you need. They sit at a desk all night and every housing building had one. Very convenient.
-Nice tennis courts and golf course (though I didn't use them)
-Archery area, ping pong tables, etc
-The nightly shows were quite nice. A large cut above the ones I've seen in the Cuban and Dominican resorts. Quite a few "prizes" given out nightly for friendly entertainment games and for the daily activity participants (we won 4 t-shirts, and a 30minute massage in the SPA over our stay).
-The resort was very family oriented. Way more families than "singles". Lots and lots of younger kids around, but we still found it quiet and relaxing the whole time. It was very large and so had lots of room and chairs/huts so that everyone had their own space. I wouldn't suggest the resport for singles, or "party" type groups. They would probably be better off hitting Cancun. It is definitely geared more for families and relaxation (which was perfect for us). I heard from the staff that it gets quite packed during peak season, but it was just right during our stay. There were a few nights where there were not many guests out and about, but there were enough to meet people if you wanted to....yet not so many that you could avoid doing so if you preferred "couple/quiet" time. We were there from Sept 30 to Oct 8.

Off-resort...
-Close and cheap to Playa del Carmer (via shuttle). very nice place to spend the day, great beach, nice little restos and shops.
-Not worth paying the ferry to go over to Cozumel unless you just want to take a ferry or are planning on doing a water excursion while in Cozumel (for the famous reef). If you are just going to check it out....it was pretty much exactly the same as the Playa del Carmen tourist area, but a little seedier if you strayed from the beaten path. Just more restos and shops.
-We also wanted to check out Chitzen Itza...and while the signup folks told everyone it was a 2.5 hour trip from the hotel...it was actually 4 there and 3 back. I'm glad I went (even though tourists are constantly approached by peddlers while touring the ruins), but its worth noting that it is a longer than advertised trip. A bonus is the Ikil Cenote natural well you can swim in on the return trip. Gorgeous, and not as cold as they tease it is. If you are not up for the long trip, Tulum will give a similar taste, is cheaper, and much closer.

Anyway, it was a great resort and I wouldn't hesitate to reccomend it to anyone (unless they were specifically looking for a singles or party resort). I would personally come back to this resort if I visit Riviera Maya again, and I usually prefer trying new places. Other resorts would be hard pressed to beat it. Not sure I'd take a chance on a new one when I found this one was up to or above my expectations in all aspects.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (749)
Denver
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2010

We booked this hotel based on good beach, we were not disapointed beach was wonderful, nice sand, clear water. The waves were pretty big though. We were lucky we had pretty decent weather it only rained a few times in the am, and then it was sunny during the day. But at night during this time of the year it gets very cold so do bring a sweater.

Thanks to my friends they made this trip so much more fun, they surprised us in the lobby, even thought they told us they were not joining us on this trip. But they surprised us with tequila in lobby when we arived. We were 3 couples all with small babies. This is perfect place to take babies, so many families with small children, and babies. The staff goes way out of their way to help you, the service was great everywhere we went I cannot complain about that. People keep saying beds are hard, its not true our beds were just fine we had no problem and slept just fine. Rooms are your average all inclusive resort rooms. Nothing special. Maid did good job cleaning we left tip every day. We also tips all of our waiters and bar man all the time. They all knew us and were very helpful. So over all good resort, great location fast from airoport, people keep saying on here resort is huge, its not that big, I liked the size. I like walking and with stroler it made it nice baby went right to sleep during the walks and she enjoyed looking around at the scenery, so its perfect size hotel. Spa on the beach was great, awsome masage on the beach for my birthday!

Here are the minuses: the only kind beds they had awailable were on third floor for 3 couples with babies. NO ELEVATORS!!!! First time I have been to a hotel with no elevator. We had to carry our strollers up and down all day!!! The next minus was the food, yes it was fresh you can always eat something, but it was all average food, no exotic fruits, its all the same thing every day no variety, they diont change anything in buffets as far as variety of food, its alawyas same thing every day. The only thing they charge is a few salads and soup. WE made reservations every day for dinner, the best once are french, and seafood. BUt even dinner restaurants are all average. I wish they would change out their food selection more, need more variety. WE were there for 9 days and got sick of eating same food every day. Of course its nice not to cook though :)

BUt I do recomend this hotel, its great location, great beach, nice property, wonderfull staff and service. Next time we will go in APril when weather is better and we plan on going to the grand or a palace of some kind.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
Saint Louis, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2010

I thought the Iberostar Playa Paraiso Lindo was fantastic all around. We stayed from the 25th of October until the 5th of November. I have a few complaints that I will save for the end of my review.

It was my first trip to Mexico and my first experience with an all-inclusive resort, so I have no other point of reference. Although, we wanted for nothing. A few times we were hungry late at night, or early in the morning (our flight left very early on our last day) and room service was available for those off-times when the restaurants were closed. Room service has a limited menu. Like only 12 items. I do not recommend the caesar salad or the wraps, but the fruit plate, tacos, and apple pie were great.

As far as the food at the regular restaurants and buffets go, they were very good, though after the first week we grew weary of all the food. The steakhouse was good, and we also liked the Mexican, Italian, and Japanese restaurants. We got sick after we ate at La Marina, the seafood restaurant. And the Brazilian restaurant was just average. The buffets were good, and we preferred the beach buffet. The selection was smaller, but fresher because of it. Breakfast was nice--waffles, pancakes, lots of different breads and pastries. Everyday was a little different, but after a week, we noticed the rotation. Lunch at the beach buffet was great. Always a huge selection of tacos, burgers, fruit. We especially like the fries, the burgers and pizza, the chorizo tacos, the tuna salad in little tomato cups, the ice cream and desserts. Some of the fellow quests were very rude; they would cut right in front of you, come close to knocking you over if you were inadvertently in their way, touch the food without utensils, let their kids run wild, and not leave tips ever.

The latter part was hard to witness as the service was overall spectacular. If you asked for anything, it happened and swiftly. The diaspora between those who are quests there and those who work there was quite sad to me. Please do not forget to bring a couple hundred in singles with you so that you can tip these kind and helpful people. If you leave the resort for any reason (a guided tour, the daily hotel shuttle to Playa Del Carmen, your shuttle to and from the airport) and don't have your eyes closed, you get a slight idea of what I am getting at here. The local population does not live like you will live while you are on the resort, or like you will live when you return home. I rarely saw anyone else tipping at the buffets, bars, restaurants, or ice cream stands. It is so appreciated that, despite these boards saying this over and over again, it bears repeating. Please tip!

On your first day, try to schedule with your concierge where you would like to eat in the evenings. Toward the end of our stay, it started getting a lot more crowded, and the restaurant reservations were getting harder to come by. (Our concierge, Belin, was so helpful!) Trust me, you do not want to have to eat at the dinner buffet every night. You will get sick of the same food all the time. The little taco and burger restaurants at the shopping center were fantastic. (Try the chorizo tacos and the number 3 tacos with the avocado spread at the taqueria!) Sometimes we would just go there for a quick bite. Don't forget to save room for the creperia/ice cream shop that is in the shopping center too. The mango ice cream was the best I have ever had.

I did not think the beds were bad at all. I saw a lot of complaints about how hard they were before I left for my trip, but we quite like a firmer bed. I thought the room was awesome! The bathroom was great--just a little tricky/dangerous getting in and out of the tub. And the floors are all tile and very slippery. Sometimes we would lay a towel on the floor so we wouldn't slip. There was a little drying rack on the balcony. We would rinse out our suits, hang them outside before we went to dinner, and bring them inside to hang on the chairs either after dinner or early in the morning. I found this system worked fine to dry our suits to wear again. We had a ground floor room, and I was happy for this as the walkways throughout the property were so slippery! I fell once. Hard. And I was glad to not have to go up and down tiled stairs. We were in building 54 and despite having a ground floor room, I found it quite private and quiet. I especially liked the black-out curtains so we could sleep in!

We always had plenty of towels and toiletries. I would leave a few dollars each day on the table for the housekeeper. We do not have kids, but we would get so excited everyday to see the towel "animal" they would do. A few nights they did turn-down service for us, which was a nice treat to come back to after dinner. The mini-fridge was well-stocked. One day we had a run on orange soda, called the concierge and within two minutes(!), someone was knocking on our door with more orange soda. That was so nice and unexpected.

I liked the pool, though we spent most of our time on the beach. There are rocks kind of in the middle of the length of the Iberostar waterfront. It was really easy to avoid them by going around. Everyday we were there the waves were pretty high. We enjoyed it, but little ones would have to be careful. There were lifeguards on duty, though I was not sure how vigilant they actually were. I would not want to test them, if you know what I mean. Toward the end of our stay, chairs were harder to find, but not impossible. The beach has a little cafe with hot dogs, burgers, DIY nachos, and those yummy fries. It was so convenient to just grab a quick snack there and not have to go all the way back to the room and change. The bartenders on the beach were really friendly. The vendors on the beach were very polite and not pushy. We would spend hours on the beach without a care. It was the best part of the stay.

One day we decided to take the ferry (in Playa Del Carmen) to Cozumel. There is a shuttle for $4 from the resort to Playa, and then about an eight block walk down famous 5th Avenue to the ferries. We knew if we went to the Iberostar Cozumel, we could use their beach, towels, and restaurants. It was a fun day. The taxi ride from the ferry to the Iberostar was a little high (about $25 both ways,) but once there, we didn't have to worry about spending any more money, except tips. Their beach was crazy rocky, but there is a long dock, and you can get in the water at the end of the dock. This hotel was a very different feel than the Lindo. It was a more European crowd, a little older, and for snorkeling fans. It was really neat to get in the water on the dock and see so many fish, but a bummer if we had been there the whole two weeks, because it was a much smaller resort and super isolated from downtown Cozumel. It is about 18 kilometers south of all the action there, hence the expensive cab rides. But it was a fun day trip that didn't cost as much as the tours. Just flashed our bracelets from the Lindo, signed our names on a list in the lobby, and headed out to the beach. The pool is tiny in comparison to the Lindo, and the buffet we ate at had an extremely limited selection in comparison as well.

The souvenir stores in the resort were not too expensive, though we did go to the Walmart in Playa Del Carmen to get the bulk of our souvenirs. The sunscreens for sale at the resort were about $30 USD, so do not forget to bring plenty! We went to the Jungle Spa in Puerto Morelos on two separate days and I cannot recommend that experience enough. It is a better massage than you will get at the resort, and a much better value. And another day trip we took was to Tulum to see the Mayan ruins. But we really enjoyed the days when we just stayed put on the resort and were lazy on the beach. There is plenty to do on site, and it can get expensive to take the guided tours.

One of my few complaints is the lack of internet available. Huge tip: Go to the Maya lobby and it is free! I was told by three different employees three different prices for a per diem price at the Lindo; the range was between $6 and $16 USD for all day, but that is only in the lobby of the Lindo. I did not like that there was a different price depending on who you asked, and that you could not use it in your hotel room. But luckily I discovered the free internet on my second day by going to the Maya. It is a bit of a walk, but so was everything else. Bring comfortable shoes, and be very careful everywhere in flip flops since every surface is super slippery. There is a lot of walking, but I did not think it was that bad. The first two days we were a little lost and had to rely on our map. But we eventually got the lay of the land. We noticed golf carts and a train if you needed a ride, but the wait for them was longer than just walking, so we did not use those too often.

My main complaint was a pretty serious distraction during our stay. The Star Friends are a group of young, college students (male and female) who work on the resorts to improve their language skills. Watch your man, ladies! I hate to say it, but I was extremely disappointed in a few of these young ladies. It was not all of the young ladies, but a few of them, who would openly flirt with my fiance. Right in front of me! Or, worse, when I would get up at lunch to get a plate of food, or use the restroom, I would come back to them seated at our table. In. My. Chair! They would flirt in front of me with my partner and not even acknowledge me. Like I wasn't even there. Often they would go out of their way to walk by us to smile at him, and scowl at me! I was deeply offended by their behavior and not sure who on staff to discuss this issue with. I regret not complaining to the hotel about this behavior, because it only intensified as our time there went on. By the last day I was almost in tears about it! I let it go but I shouldn't have. I definitely wanted to share that here. The Star friends are everywhere, everyday. They facilitate all the pool and beach activities, and they run the theater show every night. The behavior of a few of the Star Friends almost ruined the entire stay, and I would be loath to return in the future because of it, despite the rest of the resort being spot on. Yes, these women were that bad and that aggressive!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Surrey, BC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2010

This resort is one of the best I have ever stayed at. Everything from the food to entertainment was first class. My wife and I took our 19,23,25 year old kids along with another family with a 13 and 19 year old. There was something for everyone to do all the time. We had so much fun at the resort we only took one day for excursions. No problem getting into a la cart restaurants and several to choose from too. Buffets had wide variety of food to choose from. 24 hour room service was a bonus! Service all around was great and the rooms were clean and spacious. Highly recommend to anyone.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
Port Ewen, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2010

we got back from Iberostar Lindo In Mexico last night. We had a wonderful time. The service was excellant. The food was delicious, the entertainment was great. The Iberostar starfriends do a an extremely good job in keeping the guests entertained and are always so full of energy. Paulina, Ana and the entire cast of starfriends do a great job. Keep up the good work. We hope to see you again.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
Calgary
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2010

We stayed at the Iberostar Lindo from Oct 29-Nov 5 2010 and we loved it! The buffet food was excellent and we had no problem getting reservations for the "La Carte" restaruants for every night we were there!
The room was amazing and the maids were outsatnding. Location is great and they have a shuttle service to Playa del Carmen that works great and cost about 4 dollar/trip/person. We will be staying there again and again!
They have full facilities including a great gym and tennis courts.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2010

Stayed with my husband for 6 nights November 4th-11th. Really nice place to stay.
Didn't spend any time at the pool area as the water is cold for me there, Went to the beach instead.
Had lots of fun in the water there.If not the rocks I would be 100% happy.
Food is tasty, went to 5 difeerent restaurants, sea food and french was the best.In my opinion lobby buffet is hard to beat!
Beds are hard, so the first thing we did was ordered foam mattress.
Room service is very good, no complains.
Booked 2 tours, both all day long, one was crowded, so we did many stops at different hotels and got back to the hotel late.
Used WIFI in the lobby for an hour - about $8 (not high speed Internet).
Ice cream bar was a plus, on the way to the room we stopped for a treat.
Made many pictures with animals, walked around the resort.
I would like to come back with an upgrade to Maya.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Iberostar Tucan Hotel
Iberostar Tucan Hotel
#44 of 201 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 stars 5,007 reviews

Been to Iberostar Paraiso Lindo? Share your experiences!