“All about the kids....so clean and kind staff!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Iberostar Paraiso Lindo

You added Iberostar Paraiso Lindo to your Saves list
Iberostar Paraiso Lindo
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carrt Chetumal - Pto Juarez km. 309, Playa Paraiso, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
NB
“All about the kids....so clean and kind staff!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2009

We have just returned from 7 sunny days at the Lindo. We hired a great private nanny named LAURA, worth requesting. All the restaurants were so kind to children and the resort was outstanding. My only comments would be....it is ALL true what you read about the walking....the place is huge and if you don't like to walk, DON'T go. I would have brought a stoller for our 4 yr old had I've known. We were in building 60, the closest to the beach but it's still not on the beach. The food was great but as someone said, not a 5 star in NYC. The staff were great, always pleasant, and working to keep the place clean. We've been to the Beaches resorts and this was far more child friendly. The surf is rough so with the kids, stick to the wonderful pools and lazy river. If you are travelling without kids, stay at the Iberostar Grand, it was over the top. With kids, don't bother paying for the Maya, just pay for the Lindo, it is essentailly the same and not worth the xtra $$s.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (757)
canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2009

Ive stayed at Iberostars before and ive been to this one about 3 times! well what does that tell you, that its a great place!!

THE STAFF

the staff here at iberostar is amazing. they are evry friendly!
the staff is always ready to serve and help you.
they will do anything to make your stay more enjoyable!

THE ROOMS

the rooms are very clean. they are a decient size. you get and an amzing view from every room. the beds are comfty. the mini fridge is always filled and the bathroom is clean.

PROPERTY

BEAUTIFUL!! just beautiful!! Its clean and the its just so pretty. the iberostar offers a troller which you can pick up at a hut located outside your building

• Stayed March 2007, traveled with family
New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2009

This is our second Iberostar resort, so we basically knew what to expect in terms of service, food, room and grounds. This resort excels in the grounds and service department. After explaining that we did not want to hear resort traffic (golf carts, landscaping trucks, cleaning vehicles, garbage trucks.), we were assigned to Bldg. 50, the building closest to the beach. Room 5031, a terrible choice if you don't want to hear all of the above. This corner of the building sits directly upon a cul-de-sac next to the laundry facility, back door to a restaurant, and gathering place for incoming workers. It was noisy and smelled of car exhaust. We had to wonder why the front desk thought this was a quiet room. The next morning we asked for a room change and in less than 20 minutes we were in a wonderful third floor room in Building 53. I would stay away from Building 50. Although it is closest to the beach, there is no beach access or view from this building.

We visited the Steak, Gourmet, Italian and International restaurants. Do not go to the International Restaurant. Food was terrible. All others were very good, with the Gourmet Restaurant not to be missed. The night-time buffet was OK, nothing exceptional. Breakfast and lunch buffets were good, plenty from which to pick. Drinks all very good and plentiful. They have a large variety of red wines and were given the opportunity (when we asked) to taste test several before deciding on one. They will leave the bottle at your table.

The pools were great, swim up bar nicely crowded and friendly, and the lazy river was great. This is a nice family resort, but as a retired couple, we completely enjoyed every aspect. The beach was good for swimming. Rocks in a few places directly in front of the resort, but lots of good beach for swimming. Walking the beach was another matter. Not much beach to walk before you run into rocks and beach garbage. I would not recommend this resort if you really enjoy beach walking.

One tip, bring a hair dyer and hair conditioner. No conditioner provided, and the dryers are nothing more than a lukewarm breeze.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Edmonton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2009

My extended family have now been to Mayan three years in a row. It is winter in Canada so a great time to get away. The nine members of my famiy are aged from 1 1/2 to 74 years old. This resort had enough activity and relaxation for every member of the family.

Staying at the Paraiso Lindo allowed us to use facilities at every resort but the Grand. I had a tour of the Maya and the rooms are very nice with an extra seating area. As I do not stay in my room except for siest and for sleeping, I made the correct choice.

The lodging buildings stretch from near the beach flowing inland to the lobby area. The lodging near the lobby is very close to the theatre and the nightly shows definitely would disturb any early sleepers. My room was in this building but I was always at the events so I only noticed the sound when I went to the room during the show. Our room on the third floor felt that we were in the jungle canopy and our deck was very private.

The rooms were cleaned daily, a little later than Iiked. My sister-in-law with small children asked for cleaning earlier so not to interfere with kid's nap time and they accommodated this every day.

The meals: This is the first all inclusive to allow for every night in the ala carte restaurants. Very nice idea as there were many choices to visit.

The first night we ate at the buffet and the service was good. The food presentation was good with small portions presented and replenished regularly. My family especially likes the cook to order pasta with choice of pasta, sauce and extras.

The Japanese dinner was excellent with the chef as the entertainment. Portions were a little small for my fourteen year old son but with a request he was offered more shrimp than he could handle. Service was great and the atmosphere is very relaxing. The menu items cooked in the back kitchen missed with my family, very poor flavours and they wished they had the food from the show.

The Cajun dinner was my favourite, the service was excellent. We started with a beverage but I wanted to have something a little different and the server was very courteous and rattled off many beverage opportunties. The appetizer area has many choices and the Calamari was fresh and crispy. I love spicy hot food but DO NOT let this scare you. The server is aware that few people want spicy food. I had the Cajun Grouper (fish) and this was my best meal of the trip. Dessert was offered and my family liked every itme but I do not indulge.

The Seafood dinner was the next night. Steak and Lobster but not how I woulld expect it to be presented but good presentation. The beef tenderloin was very slightly overcooked but still very tender (the maitre d' noticed and was very willing to replace with another piece of beef but I declined as I was enjoying myself and my guests). The lobster is two one inch cross slices of the tail. Very large portions considering the crab bisque and the appetizer buffet.

Breakfasts were another great experience, we ate the restaurant closest to the beach most days. Fresh Americano coffee or Cappucinos and lots of fresh fruit. The omelettes were made to order and every thing was excellent for all ages. We arrived a little early to get a table on the little deck so we coould enjoy the outdoors. Inside seating was not bad at the windows fold back out of the way with a bistro feel. The best breakfast buffet was at the Maya as the omelettes were cooked in individual pans and this lady just knew how to add the care and attention to make it perfect.

Activities: we were in the pools everyday and the ocean most every day.
Beach activities - The reef does not protect the shore from the crashing waves so we had ``red flag`` days and were limited to the area between the lifeguard towers. The guards are very atttentive to keeping guests in the safe areas. There are many rocks in the unsupervised areas as my brother-in-law found out. He heard the whistles of the guards and realized he was out of the safe area but he still rubbed up against a few sharp rocks and created a few small cuts. We were prepared with out own first aid supplies and we had no issues.
My son liked the rifle and archery competition; he won for the kids event and was invited to the nightly theatre event to claim his prize. The beach area is so beautiful that I walked the area at least twice a day. There is a full walkup bar and snack buffet at the beach which keeps the walks short. Beach volleyball was my event and I played twice a day; a little competitive but why play if you do not want to do your best to win.

The nightly entertainment consists of the early peiod for the children; my nieces loved the chance to get on-stage and have fun. The Star Friends, the resort`s entertainment ambassadors, keep the daily and theatre events going. The shows were varied but always musical and dancing in nature. Just relax and experience the events, I always came away happy.

The drinks are what you want. I asked the bartender and he says he would make the drink with as much alcohol as the guest wants but no one wants to see a drunk guest a noon so the drinks are a little lighter during the day but just ask and hr will deliver. I loooove Margaritas, okay tequila, so I was in my glory. The bars open at 10:00 am in the lobbies and yes they made what ever i wanted.

If walking is an issue, then prepare yourself. The resort for myself is grouped nicely with short walks to get to the next experience. The floors and pool decks were very slippery when wet.

Look for the ice cream bar, what a refreshing treat for the hot days.

I have already started looking for my next opportunity to return.

London, Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2009

Well, we are back from a week at the Lindo, we were there Feb 16-23rd and as I’m reading reviews that have been posted while we were gone, I have to think, no way were these people at the same place we were! So here’s a long one and it’s all good!

Check in and check out a breeze…. We did ask for adjoining rooms as my mother was travelling with us and the best they could do was two rooms on same floor, same side, with one room between us – it was totally fine! And they were very apologetic! Resort was either at full capacity or very close to it but that didn’t cause any problems at all, in fact, it helped keep the “fun” atmosphere going.
Rooms….. clean, spacious and the mini bar was well stocked. I see some posts about a mouldy smell, we found that as soon as we turned on the fan for the AC and let it run, the smell cleared up and did not return the whole week, so no problems there. Our fridge wasn’t working the first night we arrived and someone came to fix it within 10 minutes of our call. The staff and crew here are fabulous. There is a concierge for each building and they are there very long hours. Make your dinner reservations for the a la cartes with them as soon as you arrive. Small tips also go a long way, we made the effort to leave little notes in spanish for the maids with a small tip ($1-2USD) and when we did this, we’d get tons of extra bottles of water, beer, pop and some great towel art that the kids loved!
The grounds…. Beautiful! Pools are all wonderful. Our kids (10 and 12) loved the wave pool, lazy river, main pool and the waves at the beach. No complaints about the water temperature here, I mean, really, when it’s about 30C, you want the pool to be cool when you go in! The red flag was up all week so we were unable to get out on the hobie cats or banana boat, but my son & husband rented a jetski and had a blast. We also did a snorkelling tour through the hotel and it was amazing. The boat ride was only about 7-8 minutes out but you felt like you were in the middle of the ocean and the fish at the reef were absolutely amazing! We also went into Playa del Carmen for one morning – just by taxi.
Shows and entertainment. We were truly impressed with the quality of the shows that the staff put on every night. We’ve been to many all-inclusives where the entertainment is usually pretty lame. But here, first you’re in a great outdoor but covered theatre area, with sound and light system and a show with a theme each night. The Star Friends crew are awesome and they try so hard to keep the fun going!
Food….. never heard a single complaint from anyone about getting sick or not liking what was available. We ate at the breakfast buffet each morning, snacked at the beach grill or buffet at lunch, and did a la cartes for each dinner. Being at the Lindo allowed us to eat at restaurants at the Beach, Del Mar and Maya resorts too. The steakhouse at the Maya was very good, the Mexican at the Maya was also very very good (best service there in fact, not rushed at all). We also did the Japanese at the Beach/Del Mar and the Cajun at the Lindo. Cajun was our favourite and we ate there twice. Travelling with kids makes dinner time pretty challenging as they can be pretty finicky…. But don’t be afraid to ask the waitstaff if the menu item can be made without certain ingredients! My son asked for the Jambalaya without muscles and they were very accommodating, and, being an all-inclusive, we sometimes ordered one extra dish for the table to share in case anyone got something they didn’t like! Turns out we ended up eating an extra plate :) And... the wine was all imported from Spain too.... so good wine with dinner every night!
If I had to say one negative thing, the only one I can think of is that we did have to get up early to get chairs poolside… everyone reserves seats (yeah, yeah, yeah, even though you’re not supposed to) so it does make it challenging! We heard one family who got themselves a 2 am wake up call so they could go out, reserve chairs and then go back to bed! NOT US! But if you’re not up by 7 am, all the good spots are gone!

So overall, if you’ve booked at the Lindo, don’t worry, you can’t go wrong. We would definitely go back and are missing it already!

Manitoba
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2009

We just returned from a week vacation from Feb 14-21 at the Lindo. This was our first hot vacation and it completely blew us away! The Lindo is a beautiful resort with lots to do for a variety of ages of travellers. My husband and I went by ourselves but would definitely take our children to this resort.

Location - nice distance from Cancun and central location made not such a long trip to Playa Del Carmen and other excursion areas.

Grounds - immaculate, constantly staff cleaning and pruning and beautiful trees and plants and colors to look at. We were in building 52 and really liked the location. It was an easy walk to the main areas of the hotel as well as the beach area and pool.

Food - if you can't find something to eat here you are way to picky. there is plenty of selection and anything from fruit to cultural dishes to try something new. there are multiple buffets, we really liked breakfast at the pool restaurant and the Pagoda buffet was also good. The beach has a snack bar that satisfies a midday day treat! We ate at the Seafood, Steakhouse and Japanese speciatly restaurants. They were all very good and the overall dining experience at the japanese restaurant was amazing.

Rooms - very cleanly and the maids always had towel art for us when we came back. they are a bit dated but for as much time as you spend in them they are very adequate and the balconies have great views of the grounds to enjoy.
Staff - these people work very hard for their money. We had great service at any venues we went to and if you took the time to speak with the staff they were very friendly and grateful for your interest in them.

Entertainment - we took in a couple of the Star friends shows. they are not broadway productions but they add to the aura of the whole experience and they work very hard to make their shows interactive and entertaining.

We truly enjoyed ourselves right from the get go and would highly recommend this resort for anyone who wants to ensure a great holiday! We will definitely be going back!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Rochester, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2009

We just returned from a phenomenal week at the Lindo! I really can’t think of anything negative to say about this amazing place! We were there with our two kids, ages 5 and 2, and it was a perfect place for a family vacation. The week we were there was the February break week for U.S. schools, so there were a lot of children and the place was humming with activity all the time, yet it never felt crowded (except if you arrived at the pool or beach between 10 am and 2 pm and expected to get a shady seat!).

The resort is absolutely gorgeous, and immaculately maintained. Every place you look, you see another lovely view (kudos to the architects!) - the pools, walkways, gardens, everything is lush and beautiful. In our week I believe we saw a total of three insects: one tiny ant on our balcony, one tiny spider, and one mosquito. I certainly expected to see more bugs in a tropical place where everything is outdoors! There is a huge maintenance crew constantly cleaning the walkways, the pools, even sweeping sand off the boardwalks at the beach and raking up the little bit of seaweed that washes up. They also do a great job cleaning the rooms every day and the towel art is a lot of fun!

I emailed the hotel a week in advance to request a room in building 53 or 54 and received a response that they would forward our request to the front desk but couldn’t guarantee room requests. When we arrived, they were going to put us in building 55, so we asked if we could have a different room, and they said we could have a room in building 53 if we were willing to wait 15-20 minutes. They were perfectly nice about this. We did wait for building 53 and I was very glad. Building 53 is great for families as it’s right in the center of the resort, not too close to the theater (which is an open-air structure, so it really is true that building 55 is noisy while the entertainment is going on – also, one of the main routes to the lobby/restaurant area is right through building 55, right past people’s rooms, so I imagine that makes things pretty noisy as well). Our room was near the stairs, so we heard a little noise the first night, but just closing an internal door between the bedroom and bath/minibar sections of our room eliminated outside noise completely. We were on the second floor, and didn’t hear any noise from above us; we loved being on the second floor and found the gentle stairs were not an issue for us or the kids at all. Our room was extremely clean and not huge, but spacious enough, with a huge balcony that gave us a lovely spot to sit in the evenings after the kids were in bed!

The beach was breezy, and the red flags were up all week, supposedly meaning “no swimming,” but there were people in the water all the time. We really enjoyed the waves; they were less than what we’d swum in on the ocean side of Cape Cod. My 5-year-old loved playing in the waves and would have been disappointed if the water had been calmer! We just stayed close to him and never had any problem – we couldn’t convince him to get out of the water!

The pools are beautiful and offer many different attractions. My kids loved the wave pool and lazy river. The wave pool was nice even without the waves running since it’s zero-entry, and it’s fun to watch the kids (and more than a few adults!) come from all directions when the whistle goes to signal the waves are starting. Families tended to congregate around this area, making it a really nice laid-back atmosphere (one of the bars is right at the edge of the wave pool as well!). Other parts of the pool had louder music, dance lessons, sports – anything you could want! The lazy river is very gentle, but lovely and relaxing.

We also enjoyed going over to the Del Mar/Beach side a few times. We liked the breakfast area over there better (it’s a beautiful open-air restaurant, and we thought it was a lot prettier than the buffet area on the Lindo side) so we ate over there a lot. The pools are really pretty over there and offer lots of secluded little spots. We also enjoyed strolling through the gardens and looking at the animals. We really liked having the full run of the resort (except for the Grand, of course), so we were glad to have been in the Lindo, although I’m sure we would have been happy with the Beach or Del Mar as well, especially if we didn’t have young kids. I liked the architecture of the Lindo lobby/bar/restaurant area much better than that of the Maya, which felt like the Las Vegas version of Mexico to me. The walkways over the water at the Lindo were so pretty, and were elegant without feeling fussy. It was just a gorgeous atmosphere.

As for the food, I wouldn’t say it was memorable in either a good or bad way; there was plenty of food, lots of choices, and we found lots to like. The buffets were huge and I don’t see how anyone could not find something to eat there. We ate dinner at the buffet three times and enjoyed it just fine; we liked the relaxed atmosphere and not having to get there at a certain time, and there were many, many choices for grown-ups and kids. We also ate at the Cajun, Italian and Mexican restaurants and liked all of them. We had absolutely no issues with sickness or anything like that; we did try to stick with bottled water (they provide lots of it in your room), although I forgot and drank the water from the glass at dinner once and we all had ice in our drinks. We ate everything, drank a variety of drinks, and none of us was the least bit sick, nor did we hear of anyone else getting sick, so please, don’t be worried about the food or water! I wouldn't be surprised if people on here who complain about illness brought something from home with them, picked up a stomach bug on the plane, or were eating/drinking/in the sun too much; after all, not every stomach problem is food poisoning, especially with the number of stomach bugs going around this time of year... I do feel bad for people whose vacations were ruined by illness, but I don't think it's any more likely to happen here than anywhere else - or at home, for that matter. In a resort that accommodates several thousand people, a few people are bound to be sick at any one time.

There is so much to do in the resort that we were tempted never to leave, but we were really glad to have booked a tour with Edventures in advance; we had an amazing day with them! It was a great way to experience what the Riviera Maya offers outside the resorts and was a perfect combination with our time at the Lindo. We got to do more at a better price than if we had booked tours through the resort, and we had great personal service.

I would wholeheartedly recommend this resort to anyone, especially families. Please don’t let the bad experiences of a very small number of people dissuade you; it really is incredible, and you will love it!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa Paraiso
Iberostar Tucan Hotel
Iberostar Tucan Hotel
#46 of 201 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 stars 5,086 reviews

Been to Iberostar Paraiso Lindo? Share your experiences!