“Our christmas family trip to iberostar parisaiso beach resort,Mexico” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Iberostar Paraiso Beach

Save Saved
You added Iberostar Paraiso Beach to your Saves list
Iberostar Paraiso Beach
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carrt. Chetumal - Pto. Juarez km. 309, Playa Paraiso, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Ranked #7 of 10 hotels in Playa Paraiso
Saskatchewan, canada
“Our christmas family trip to iberostar parisaiso beach resort,Mexico”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2009

We stayed at the iberostar beach resort over christmas. We went with our entire family children aged 2,4,12,16 and 17 and was much enjoyed. tThe resort was spectacular. Service was excellent and very,very clean. The staff could not have been more helpful and always had smiles on their faces. We would recommend this resort to any one who was thinking of a trip this way. It would be enjoyable for any ages as it is so large that even quiet get away is very possible, enjoy and relax it is great

Charmaine
Saskatchewan,Canada

2,475 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (347)
Calgary
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2009

We were upgraded to the Paraiso Beach from Paraiso Del Mar, and while the resort itself, the pool areas, and the beaches were beautiful, the food was so-so.

Gorgeous beach, lots of sand, kept very clean, a few rocks in the water, but not too bad (you could get around them), and TONS of lounge chairs. That was the one thing I appreciated compared to the Riu Tequila, where I stayed last year. We never had to fight for a lounge chair whether it be on the beach or by the pool. Lots and lots of space, which was great, so you didn't feel like you were overcrowded.

The pool area was beautiful too. Again, tons of lounge chairs, immaculate condition, and lots and lots of areas to swim in.

The food? Ugh... they definitely need to work on this one. The breakfast buffet was ok, lunch was ok (very similar to the Riu), but dinner?? They definitely needed some improvement on that. Not a huge selection, and what was there wasn't very appealing. (Ie: they had hot dogs as one of the options. Not gourmet sausages...I'm talking Oscar Meyer hot dogs) Their vegetables were swimming in butter and soggy, and a lot of things were just very, very bland.

We only tried one of the a la carte restaurants (we went to the Mexican one) and it was better than the buffet for sure.

The grounds are *amazing*. Absolutely gorgeous landscaping, lots of plants and flowers, lots of grass, etc. Just beautifully kept. They also had guinea fowl, swans, peacocks, and other exotic birds running around free on the property, which I thought was really nice.

When you walk around the main area of the resort where the lobby/restaurants are, the walkways are all up on a marble 'platform', and you are surrounded by water and fountains. The water looked a bit green and all, but it was still nice at night. Some ponds had koi, which was nice.

We also attended a wedding at this resort and they did an excellent job. It was very nice.

I would definitely recommend this resort, but don't expect really amazing food.

Stayed January 2009
niagara
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2009

Just returned yesterday from this resort. All in all, the vacation was good. I was somewhat disappointed with the food and noted that they used cheap mixes for the alcohol. I make better margaritas at home. The service was great. The rooms were very nice. The a la carte dining was very good but the buffet was on the bland side with very little in the way of variety. Guacamole was very bland. They seemed to be very shy on the spicing of the food. I enjoyed the birds and the grounds were amazing. The beach was nice and the ocean was warm.

• Liked — rooms and cleanliness
  • Disliked — alcoholic beverages and food at the buffet
  • Stayed January 2009
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2009

My husband and I visted the Iberostar for 1 week on 19th December as part of pur honeymoon and loved it.
We had some general concerns as a result of reading past reviews from this site before we left, but they were unfounded on arrival.
The hotel is large, however the 'long' walks that everyone kept talking about were not long at all. They were much appreciated after eating buffet and restaurant meals and it was enjoyable walking through the impeccably maintained grounds.
The pool was on the cool side but realistically if the sun is not shining 24/7 due to cloud cover how can it be expected to be tropical at this time of year?
The food in the buffets was always varied with different meats and fish served each night. There was a permanent Mexican food counter each night, but then this is Mexico!!
The speciality restaurants were fantastic. We visited the Brazilian restaurant and Japanese. The Brazilian was a lot of meat in one meal which I would not recommend for vegetarians. All the meat was well cooked and very tasty. The Japanese was by far the best. The experience of having food cooked by theTeppanyaki chef was excellent. The food was cooked infront of you and was fresh and very enjoyable.
The hotel staff were incredibly helpful and friendly, we could not fault them, Despite being there a short time the staff were keen to get to know you and remembered you from day to day a big feat considering we went at one of the busiest times of year.
The grounds of the hotel were stunning and very well maintained. In the evening the area was well lit with beautiful lights that gave the hotel a welcoming atmosphere.
The entertainment staff put on some very good shows to involve both children in the childrens disco every night and adults with an amazing magician and also film and special themed nights. These were rehearsed and thought about rather than chucked together as we have experienced in other hotels. Definitely worth a viewing.
Overall we were very impressed with the hotel and Iberostar chain as a whole as this was our first experience of the chain. We would gladly recommend this hotel to people based on its good food, cleanliness, impeccable grounds and most of all it outstanding staff.

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Nothing. Everyone/Everything was great.
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Winnipeg
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2009

Wow! What a fantastic vacation. We just landed back in Canada 7 hours ago (at minus 30 degrees) and I feel compelled to post my review immediately. Let me start by saying this is my first trip to Mexico so I'll admit I have nothing to compare it to. However, I made good use of everyone else's reviews so I thought I'd pay it forward! We spent a week at the Paraiso and it was everything everyone said it would be. My husband and I are in our early forties with a 5 and 8 year old. There were 17 of us travelling , all family, including 8 grandkids ranging from 5- 19 years old. Let me break it down:

FOOD - yes there is tons and tons of food to choose from. Yes, you will get sick of the buffet but you can't say you don't have choices. My favorites were all the freshly squeezed juices in the morning (like banana). The coconut ice cream is great. Lots of fish at all meals if you like that stuff. Try as many different things as you can - you just never know what you're going to end up loving. We would often walk to the mall in the early evening for ice cream. However, they have the same stuff poolside.For lunch at the buffets by the pool, you need to time it right or you can end up in line for a long time (made even worse when you have young kids and have to go through the line twice, once for them and then again for yourself). We managed to get reservations for all 17 of us for the Mediterranean restaurant and the Brazilian. The Brazilian was pretty good. The meat was tasty but pretty dry. It was a very nice dinner though. The Mediterranean was all fish - no pasta. I'm not overly fond of fish, The waiter suggested the Grouper was the mildest of the choices and it was indeed delicious. Two of us also went to the Gourmet Restaraunt. That was by far the best. They serve you all your food (yay!, no buffet), but you have no choice of entrees. It's a set menu. It was fantastic. Others in our group went to the Tropical and they loved it as well. As others have mentioned before, it's difficult to get reservations at the a la cartes (you stand in line forever) yet when you're dining there, the place is less that half full?? The drinks are watered down so don't hesitate to ask for doubles if you like them a little stronger.

TOWEL GAME - yes it's in full force at the pool and the beach. You might as well play too or you're not going to get the spot you want. I was always up early to enjoy the day so I would save our favorite seats at the end of the pool. However, there are still all kinds of empty chairs - they might not be exactly where you want to sit though.

KIDS - I would recommend taking those UV Ray protection shirts for the kids. I couldn't keep mine out of the pool and keeping them covered in sunscreen was a battle. We went and bought shirts and that solved the problem. Be sure to bring a face stick as they're going to get red! We brought our own lifejackets for the kids. They came in handy at the pool. Boogie boards are great in the waves. They have them for sale there if you don't want to lug your own. My kids also had lots of fun with their goggles in the pool - but bring your own good ones from home.

STAFF - the staff are fantastic. They are extremely friendly and they work their butts off (6 long days a week). The Star Friends (the entertainers) can be seen poolside at 9am and then still performing at the shows in the evening after 10:30pm. If you're a dancer, you need to seek out Joseph (one of the Star Friends). He's a killer dancer. You will recognize him as the one breaking into spontaneous dancing at anytime (poolside, on stage, wherever). Try to catch some of the shows. They put a lot of work into them. However please be courteous if you're going to attend and don't talk loudly and obnoxiously through the whole thing. Go to the lounge in the lobby instead.The waiters are great. They get to know you and recognize you when they see you at other parts of the resort.

ROOMS - rooms are great and the in-room safe is handy. We tipped the maids $2 per day and always had a stocked fridge and towel animals! We did have some small bugs on the floor of our room so we had to keep our bags off the floor. There is not a lot of place to put clothes away when you're a family of 4!

GROUNDS - the place is immaculate. Absolutely beautiful. We wandered through all the resorts on the complex and we all agreed that the Pariaso lobby and pool setup are the best of the bunch. If you have mobiliy problems, the size of the resort may be an issue. None of us had any problems. After reading reviews and hearing about all the walking, I figured I was in for a lot of whining from the kids. However, not an issue at all. It's not nearly as far as everyone had made it out to be. We covered the resort from beach to lobby several times a day. HINTS - be sure to bring lots of American $1 bills for tipping. You''ll really go through them. There is a necklace vendor on the del Mar side of the pool who has a great selection of very affordable items. He also has shark tooth necklaces for the boys in your party!

EXCURSIONS - we went snorkeling for a 1/2 day through Paradise Reef tours. It was $56 for adults and slightly less for the kids. They pick you up at the resort and it's only 10mins away by bus. They take you out to the reef by Catamaran (very slowly so don't worry about being seasick) You snorkel in 2 spots and if the wind is right, they have a sail swing you can try - it's so much fun. This was a great trip for my kids too. They didn't snorkel but we swam around in the super clear water at Maroma. Some our group did the Tulum tour with the ziplining, cycling and cenote snorkelling. It was through Alltournative and they had fun. The bikes are a liability waiting to happen though. The other place we went was Xel-ha. It was worth the trip but frustrating at times. Our kids were whiny about snorkelling and as the life jackets didn't fit all that well, they didn't even want to paddle around, The rope swing is wimpy unless you're 5. The lazy river is far far far too lazy. However it's still cool as there is so much mangled growth overhead. I'd get on the river and get off at the bridge where you can jump off the cliff - you will have had enough by then. The traffic south of the resort is crazy. There are military checkpoints, construction and millions of tour buses. At the end of a long day in the sun, the last thing that is fun is sitting in bumper to bumper traffic. Are you going to love this place? YOU BET. Don't wait until the last day to join in the activities by the pool or at the theatre.
GET INVOLVED!

• Liked — everything
  • Disliked — trying to make reservations at the a la carte restaurants
Grafton, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2009

This was our first family vacation in 25 years, so we were hoping for the best......and that is what we got!! The resort was beautiful! Every negative thing I had read about the resort proved to be unfounded.
We found the food to be good, the grounds immaculate, the staff was outstanding. Everyone you encountered always had a smile on their face and a warm greeting!
Our Lomas travel rep in the lobby was awesome. Because this was our first (and hopefully not last) big vacation, I wanted things to be near perfect. He never made me feel like I was asking for too much.
We had a family of five and got adjoining rooms, on the ground level. Lovely towel art in both rooms every morning. Again, the staff goes above and beyond to please.
We met many wonderful people who were on there third or fourth return trip to the Paraiso Beach. Can't wait to be a return guest!!
Feel free to e-mail me if you have any questions my3obies@yahoo.com

• Liked — Friendly, accomodating staff
  • Disliked — Having to leave :(
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2008

Family of 4 - 2 adults, plus 19 yr old and 17 1/2 yr old)
Dec 17-24 inclusive

We were referred to this resort by a friend/travel agent. His family had been here a few years ago, and loved it. When I invest this much money, I like to KNOW what I am getting. No surprises. It was everything we were promised. The white lights everywhere when we arrived (in the evening) impressed not only us, but everyone on our shuttle who were destined for other resorts!! Immaculate grounds. Immaculate rooms - although I had to ask front desk to get the maid doing 'animals' in the kids' room too! (Note: even though our trip was booked in February 2008..they could not offer us our two rooms in the same building - as the other available room did not have separate beds. We were only two buildings apart, and the girls are young adults - so not a big deal. But WHY!!) Buffet meals were what we expected. You get what you pay for...and as all inclusives go, we were more than satisfied. We mixed it up...buffets, palapa down by beach for breakfast, lunches sometimes over at the shopping centre, and our 3 a la carte restaurants. We did Brazilian, Mexican and Japanese. We booked these all at our first opportunity...9 am. We were able to get into the three we felt the girls would like. All were good and impressive. The buffet offerings, even for appetizers and desserts, at the a la carte restaurants do get tiring, but I understand the rationale. My Red Snapper at the Mexican was excellent.

Beach was clean. My husband and I walked every morning at 7 (with our cafe con leches in hand!) and usually got to the sea shells before they were all cleaned up by the beach crew. The weather was super every day...but red flags. So we did not feel comfortable using non-motorized water stuff with the waves. We saw someone out on a kayak once. But wave jumping was a blast!

The walking was not onerous...allowed us to work off booze and food!! It was never too much for us, but those with any mobility issues would have to wait for the train. We only caught it twice during our visit...and only because it was right there. We never did sit and wait for it. I would think if you had to rely on it all the time, much time would be wasted. Better to chose a resort that doesn't require walking. Walking the paths to and from the beach, pool, or lobby was leisurely and many Kodak moments.

Service was exemplary. Staff were attentive. No complaints here. We were never at the same bar frequently enough to develop rapport. Nor were we ever at dinner at a consistent time and sitting in same place...so we always saw new people. We tipped 20 pesos ($2 US) all the time...daily to maid, each bar visit to bartender, to drivers, more to guides, etc...but don't believe it influenced any service we received.

We booked three trips. 'Fat Cat' Catamaran trip - AWESOME!! Seeing that sea turtle was the highlight!! Mayan Encounter with Alltournative - awesome, as it was a nice mix of activities and everyone loved the zip line and cenote. Then we girls did horseback riding on the beach...a dream come true. Too bad it wasn't sunnier and I wasn't a better rider!!

We would definitely go back. And the girls are hooked!! My husband and I may try the Grand Paraiso - just because! But baring that, a return to Paraiso Beach would not be out of the qustion.

• Liked — A beach long enough to walk
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Iberostar Paraiso Beach? Share your experiences!