“Resort is very nice with a few exceptions..” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Iberostar Paraiso Beach

You added Iberostar Paraiso Beach to your Saves list
Iberostar Paraiso Beach
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carrt. Chetumal - Pto. Juarez km. 309, Playa Paraiso, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
Edmonton, Canada
“Resort is very nice with a few exceptions..”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

My boyfriend and I just got back from Mexico about a week ago, and were staying here for 2 weeks and I thought I should give this place a review.

Hotel: It was very well kept and maintained. Staff worked endlessly keeping the pools, floors, and everywhere else spotless. I've read a few comments and complaints in regards to the distance from the rooms to the beach, etc., and honestly, it's not that bad. If it was minus 30 degrees, then I'll understand, but complaining about walking 10-15 mins to the beach or pool in plus 30? I think the walk is a good way to burn off those food and drinks. The cleaning lady came to our room everyday, and I thought she did a pretty good job. At times she would forget to bring extra towels, or toilet paper so we'll just call for some. There is room service, so you can call for it between a certain period of time, and they'll bring it right to you.
Our room was situated in the 4000s and were between 2 theatres. Sometimes music and instruments would be blaring from there all day long, making it difficult to rest, which was kind of annoying. The A/C in the room was a bit of a problem, because sometimes it would get so cold (and we're from Canada so that should say something), that I had to ask for another blanket. The A/C is centrally controlled, so you can't adjust it yourself so you have to call a number and get someone to adjust it. However, they usually say no because they want to keep everything the same. Also, there were tiny bugs that kept coming out from nowhere, so I'm not too sure if that should be raised as a concern..

Staff: The staff overall were very polite and respectful, especially the waiters. The thing that really got to us was that so many people did not tip! I understand that it's a resort and everything is all-inclusive, but that should actually make hotel guests want to tip more as these staff are literally working for nothing.

On another note, the concierge and people at reception were useless. We wanted to try different restaurants and go to different clubs outside the resort, but nobody at the resort knew where to go, and refused to find out more information for us. I actually searched up the numbers beforehand, and they would not call the restaurants and make reservations for us. They told us we had to use the payphone that was around the corner and call them. First of all, it's ridiculous that we had to pay to call locally, and second of all, the payphones weren't even working! Finally, we had to walk to the sister hotel, Del Mar, and someone there helped us call and made reservations for us. We had to go through the same frustrations with the manager, receptionists and concierge (they shouldn't be called that) whenever we wanted to inquire about taxis, clubs, events, or anything outside the resort. Some of them would look at us as if they didn't understand, even though my boyfriend spoke Spanish to them. We finally gave up and decided to just head to Playa del Carmen and find the places ourselves.

Food: Overall, the food at the buffet was good. You can't expect supreme quality with buffet food, so I was actually impressed with some of the offerings that they had. There was a breakfast buffet, lunch buffet and dinner buffet. I found a lot of the items to be really salty and greasy, but there are also plenty of fruits and veggies. The desserts were really, really good, so my boyfriend and I loaded up on them. There are snack bars on the beach, and another restaurant near the pool, so just explore the place when you get there. Oh, and make a point to try out the taco place and icecream/creperie shop at the shopping plaza nearby (it's all-inclusive as well). We went to a couple of the restaurants where you had to make reservations at the front desk. We tried the Mediterranean (food was really salty, buffet was kind of bland), Japanese (you'll like it if you like teppanyaki style, but I like more of the sashimi and sushi rolls, so it was okay for me), Brazilian (this was really good. There were different cuts of meat, and all them were very good) and French (the place looked nice, but the food not so much. Food was cold when it should have been warm and the food tasted kind of rubbery).

Entertainment: My boyfriend and I left the resort a lot, so we didn't have as much time experiencing the entertainment here. However, the night shows at the theatre are really good. They had this Mayan show on Friday, and it was surprisingly good. There are a lot of beach activities (zumba, yoga, archery, soccer, volleyball,etc) during the day, so be sure to check up on that if you're planning on staying on the resort a lot.

Beach and pool: The beach was really nice, with a lot of lounge chairs and cabanas. I thought the beach was kept very clean, considering the amount of people that were there. Pools were also clean and nice looking. There's a pool bar, and also a nearby icecream bar.

So all in all, we would definitely return back to this resort, I just hope their receptionists and concierge will be more helpful and knowledgeable. Hopefully this long review helped some of you!

Room Tip: Rooms near the beach are much quieter. Rooms near the restaurants are near the theatres, so noise ca...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Paraiso Beach, responded to this review, September 11, 2013
Dear Guests,

On behalf of the direction of Iberostar Paraiso Beach, we would like to thank you for sharing your comments with us on Trip Advisor how your vacations went at our Complex.

We appreciate you took the time to share your comments with us since it provides us important information for our improvement. We are glad to know that your stay was pleasant and you enjoyed the beauty of our grounds and the service from our Staff.

We regret to know that you had some issues with collecting information of different restaurants or clubs outside the Hotel and also the lack of assistance to make any reservation outside the Hotel possible. We have forwarded your comments to the management and the Public Relations office to take the necessary measures and avoid these incidents.

We have forwarded your feedback regarding the Buffets and specialty restaurants to the Chef and his Staff, they work hard every day to meet guests’ expectations and offer amazing service and food quality always, and they will take your comments into account for their improvement.

It would be our pleasure to welcome you back in the near future and enjoy again our warm hospitality; the Staff would look forward to your next visit to Riviera Maya.

Iberostar Mexico

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (433)
BROOKLYN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

I had the best time. I had been working very hard this summer and NEEDED a vacation. We wanted an all-inclusive and was scared but hopeful. This place demolished every reservation I had. My children, husband, sister and brother went this August 18 through 25, 2013. The entrance and lobby greeted us with splendor. The food was good and plentiful. The entertainment staff was on point. Edu, Monse, Yeya and the rest of the crew kept the excitement going all day long. I loved when I broke my finger, that Edu came to check on me. Book your restaurants early because they are hard to get into. Surprisingly, the Mexican restaurant was the worst for us. Go figure. The staff and bartenders were so accommodating. We tried to get to Freddy's area at the buffet each night for dinner and Marciano's area in the morning. They remembers your drinks and what you like and don't like. The men loved the bartender Roger. He was so accommodating and helpful. My children's room had some issues, but the staff was very accommodating and came promptly to fix or replace the problems. They never got the shower fixed, but I think the hotel may have needed to do more extensive work and need them to be out of the room. We were all together and wanted to stay that way. My family takes one big vacation a year and we usually don't return to the same place because there are so many new places to see. However, we are working on our return visit here. Maybe even next year. Definitely the year after.

Kitchener, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

This was the first trip as a family for myself, my Mom, my brother his girlfriend and his 3 teenaged children. Overall for us as a family it was great everyone came back to Canada alive! The resort was beautiful full of amazing animals including flamingos parrots swans and these cute coati's that just wondered around the resort. The food was great! My 13 year old nephew realized he LOVES lobster.

Checking in was a hassle as they did not have rooms for us so we had to upgrade to get what we wanted, to be in the same building.

The employees were very nice and went out of their way for you.

The pool was fantastic and the beach had a lot going on with a bbq beach volleyball and an awesome bar. It was a little too crowded though.

The rooms were huge with very comfortable beds, my only complaint was the shower was built for someone 5 feet tall lol There was even room service which is great at the end of the night.

I have been to many resorts and this is quite nice but in my travels have learned I prefer a smaller resort which this is not. We had rooms that was in the second to last building by the pool GREAT. Everything else was at the other end of the resort. We could also use 3 other resorts but geez it would have taken an hour to get to them it seemed.

All in all we had a great time and would recommend this resort as long as you are ready for some long walks.

Dear Guests,

On behalf of the Iberostar Paraiso Beach Management we would like to thank you for choosing Iberostar for your vacation.

We appreciate you decided to stay at our Hotel for your vacations and we are pleased that your stay was great. We have congratulated our Staff and the people in charge of every department that collaborated to deliver happiness and an unforgettable experience.

We are more than glad to know that you enjoyed a great time at the Resort with all your family even that you prefer smaller Resorts. We have shared your comments to the Front Desk manager to inform them your feedback from the check in.

It would be a pleasure for us to welcome you back in the near future.

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Everything was very good and I have no complaints or suggestions whatsoever, except perhaps, the Internet.

The internet is not available in the rooms; it is only available at the lobby. The lobby is not actually a 1st floor or a room or hall of some kind. It is a pavilion (with the roof, but no walls), so it is not and cannot be air conditioned. It is hot in there and there is always music, so if you plan to concentrate on something important, there is no chance. The lobby was about 10 min walk from our building, so checking email took us about half an hour twice a day. Sometimes the connection was ok, but sometimes it was quite slow, with pages not opening and videos not downloading. It is not free. The plan with up to 24 hours online during 7 days cost me $16. It tracks the devices and limits to one device at a time. With my family we walked to the lobby together and then took turns to check our email, facebook, etc. We wasted quite some time waiting for each other and walking to and from the wi-fi area. That is ok if you are informed and do not come with higher expectations. I had, so I was greatly disappointed. I actually was planning to work in the Internet for 3-4 hours a day. If you need a reliable internet connection, go elsewhere or consider cell phone data roaming.

Let me note that it was the only thing which was out of line with the luxury of the resourt. Everything else (location, the beach, pools, restaurants, the service and the gym) met or exceeded our expectations. Overall, it is a great place to spend a vacation.

Review collected in partnership with Iberostar

Dear Guests,

First of all we would like to thank you for choosing Iberostar for your vacations and also for sharing your comments with us.

It is great to know that the facilities, grounds, pools and services were fantastic and we exceeded your expectations. The Staff works hard every day to deliver unforgettable vacations and great experiences to our guests.

We apologize for the inconveniences the internet may have caused, we are already working to provide a better signal and also we are installing antennas to provide wireless service at the pools, rooms and the common areas.

It would be a pleasure for us to welcome you back in the near future so that you can enjoy again our grounds and services.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

We went to this resort in August 2013 and the weather was hot,humid and rainy. We had a few days of sun and it was nice. The resort and the people are very nice, the only thing if you don't like to walk don't go because from lobby to beach it's about a 10 min walk for us it was ok because we like walking. The food,drinks are very good. The room clean and a king size bed. The entertainment was to late for us 9:45pm.

Room Tip: we had the room 3351 king size bed and very quiet and far from the Lobby but closed to the beach.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Paraiso Beach, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
Dear Guests,

On behalf of the Staff and management we would like to thank you for taking the time to share your comments regarding your experience at Iberostar.

It is great to know that your stay was enjoyable and you had a great time with us at Iberostar. We regret to know that the weather was not the best and you had some days of rain, however is good to know that you enjoyed your vacation with us and this was not a big issue for you.

We are glad that you highlighted that the Staff was always nice and accommodating, the drinks and food were very good and the room was perfect. We regret to know that the shows were too late for you; we have already forwarded your feedback to the Animation manager for his consideration.

It would be a pleasure to welcome you back in the near future; if this is the case please do not hesitate to contact us prior to your arrival.

Ottawa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

I booked this trip with my sister and a friend. We had two rooms. The check in process takes almost an hour - what a pain to have to stand there for that amount of time when you want to start your holiday. We were in block 31. Close to the pools and beach. But far from the lobby and restaurants. There were golf carts to take us there and back so it wasn't much of a problem. It was a pain when we wanted to have drinks while getting ready for dinner but we would call a cart.
Food: You are only allowed 3 a la cartes. They enforce that. We even tried paying at the door. We were put on the waiting list and got an extra reservation that way. We also mentioned to Francisco that we hated buffet so he gave us another reservation. He is a great person to deal with. He was very friendly and understanding. The buffet food was OK but it was too hot to sit there. We went to the Mexican restaurant twice, the beef kababb was great. The Italian restaurant was good. We also tried the gourmet restaurant for Steak and Lobster, it was delicious. The Japaneses restaurant was fun - but make sure you are sitting at a table with people who are interested in the show. We had lunch on the beach, it was good. Except for the Coatis. Breakfast was great. There is never a shortage of food at this resort. We needed to skip a few meals because of the abundance of food. The room is stocked with beer and soft drinks.
Room:
The room had AC. The shower was a little awkward but nothing to complain about. The room was quiet and clean. That is all that matters.
Service:
The service at this resort was great. We never had a problem. Everyone was extremely friendly to us, even the guy who works at the check in counter who lied and tried extorting money from us.
There is a bartender who works in the cigar lounge at the resort next to the Parasio (I have his name written down at home and will update later) who was beyond amazing.
We went to see a few shows. They are quite large as they are for a few of the Iberostar resorts. We went to the Disco one evening, it was fun. You will love it if you are into Star Trek/Wars. There is a little dinner close to it that makes great burgers and fries all night. Great place to go after drinks!
The drinks were good, I found that if we went to the cigar lounges they had a better selection of liquor.
the pool was nice but it was dirty on the last few days. We saw stuff floating around that could have been picked up. the line at the pool bars isn't bad at all. the pool was a great temperature. There is a great Ice cream bar between the two pools, a great treat to cool down!

The only complaint I have and it is nothing that the hotel can do is the animals. They have peacocks roaming in the lobby bar. They ask you not to feed them but tourist think it's funny to feed their popcorn to them. Then they don't leave you alone. It's also very unhealthy for the peacocks. There are animals that are called Coatis by the beach and by the bushes around the pool. They seem to be half raccoon and half rat. Very ugly. They are quite bold. I would suggest you not keep food on or near your sun lounger. They aren't scared of much and will do anything to get the food in your bag, or near your chair. I would suggest not sitting against the bushes.

It was a great trip overall. Would I go back? Not to this resort because there are so many other places to try out. I went with girls in our 30's and we found that there were a lot of kids there when we were looking to relax.

I would also suggest that you are aware of a scam when you go into Playa Del Carman, the vendors will come up to you and say "you remember me, I served you a drink yesterday at the pool bar!". It's a scam to get you into their shot. They all claim to work at the Iberostar. They know the bracelet with the stars on it. Don't be fooled.

I enjoy visiting Mexico, this was my 7th trip there, I always enjoy it. Until next time!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Dear guests,

We appreciate the time you took to share with us and Trip Advisor your opinion regarding your recent stay at Iberostar Paraiso Beach.

The Chef and his Staff would be more than glad to see that you highlighted the great food served at all the specialty restaurants you visited. Thank you also for your kind words about our lovely employees. They are a great asset to us.

We regret to know that the wildlife was an issue during your stay, Iberostar takes good care of all of them and since it is a protected area we try to invite the guests to do it also. Unfortunately, as you mentioned, some guests keep feeding the animals and this gives them confidence. We will do our best to enforce this rule in a more effective way.

It would be a pleasure to welcome you back to Iberostar again in the near future, either at our resort or any of our Iberostar sister resorts.

Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

Family of 19 stay 4 days at the Inberostar Paraiso Beach and 3 days at the Iberostar Paraiso Maya. We did not like the Iberostar Beach do to its lack of services ,entertainment and food selection. We did enjoy staying at the Maya section. Rooms were larger , better quality foods selection , and better services. The beach and pools at the Iberostar was excellent. We will not return to this resort due to lack of activities and entertainment .

Review collected in partnership with Iberostar

Dear guests,

First of all we would like to thank you for choosing Iberostar for your recent stay.

We regret to know that your stay at Iberostar Paraiso Beach was not as expected and you found the entertainment, services and food selection to be insufficient. We have already forwarded your comments and feedback to the Staff and the people in charge of every department to take into account, since this is not the feeling we want our guests to leave with.

As per the services, Lindo, Maya and Grand are hotels of a different category (Premium Gold and Grand Collection); this is where the difference lays between the rooms, food selection and specialty restaurants and services in general; we invite you to visit our website to see all the different hotels and categories available in Mexico.

We hope you give us the opportunity again to welcome you back in the near future at any of our Iberostar hotels.

Iberostar Mexico

Been to Iberostar Paraiso Beach? Share your experiences!