“Great Value and Fantastic Family Resort!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Iberostar Paraiso Beach

Save Saved
You added Iberostar Paraiso Beach to your Saves list
Iberostar Paraiso Beach
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carrt. Chetumal - Pto. Juarez km. 309, Playa Paraiso, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Ranked #7 of 10 hotels in Playa Paraiso
West Kelowna, Canada
“Great Value and Fantastic Family Resort!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2011

My family recently visited the Iberostar Paraiso Beach from February 25 - March 12th 2011. Our group of 13 people included myself, my husband and our 3 children, my sister, her husband and their 2 children, my parent and my great aunt and uncle, and the ages of our group ranged from 5 - 80. Our family had a fantastic time at this resort and we would definitely recommend it to others. I have highlighted my favorite things about this resort below.

Kids Club - Our kids loved the Kids Club. Lily and Vivian were fantastic ad they do the most amazing face painting! Kids are still talking about the sand castle competition!

Dive Centre - My husband is an experienced diver and was impressed with the Dressel Divers Centre that ran out of the resort. When we got their we realized that our 10-year-old son could do his Open Waters Certification while we were there so both he and his 12-year-old cousin did it together. It was a fantastic experience for both of them and Marco and Alex were great instructors!

Beach - We actually picked this resort for the beach and we were not dissapointed. It was fantastic and we spent many hours with the kids playing in the waves and the sand. I really really loved the beach!

Staff - The staff was fantastic......really fantastic. They were always pleasant, always eager to help, and they really went above and beyond to make our vacation fantastic. I can't say enough about the staff!

Rooms - The rooms were very clean and there was an actual bathtub in the bathroom. We loved the towel animals that the cleaner made each morning! The little bar fridge in the room was also handy to have and restocked everyday. We fit the 5 of us in the room no problem. We also found the beds very comfortable.

Pool Area - The huge pool was so fantastic and the kids really loved swimming in it. The temperature was really nice and not too cold! The pools bars were great and the ice cream bar was also great - try the coconut ice cream-it's amazing! We did have get out there pretty early to get good spots by the pool, but the staff was really good about bringing chairs for people when they all seemed to be taken.

Food - We thought the food was really good and there was a great range from simple selections for the picky eater to ethnic selections for the more adventurous in our group. The food was not out of this world, but it was really really good for the price of the resort and we did not tire of it in our two weeks there. We also went to the Gourmet, Mexican, Italian and Mediterranian Restaurants. I think I liked the Mexican best, but the others were all very good as well. The mediterranian is definitely for seafood lovers!

Gym - The gym was well-equipped and very clean and the staff were very friendly.

Shows - We watched several shows in the evening and we really enjoyed all of them.

Grounds - The ground were really beautiful and amazingly well kept! I have never seen people washing the sidewalk before! If there is anything negative to be said it would be that the resort if really really big and there is a lot of walking to be done...we didn't mind because of all the eating we were doing though. I thought that my 5-year-old might complain about all of th walking, but he never did once and I think that had to do with all of the wildlife and beautifl plants to look at.

Overall - This really was a fantastic family resort and a great value! we have been to this part of Mexico before and stayed at a different resort. The Iberostar Paraiso Beach was definitely a much better resort than the one we stayed at last time and I would definitely recommend it. I also hope that we are lucky enough to be able to back there again someday to make more family memories in paradise!

Tips- There is a $100 charge if you lose your hotel bracelet, but if it starts to get warn you can just go to the front desk and get a new one at no charge.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family

2,500 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (350)
Peoria, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2011

Just got back from our second stay at this hotel. It is still just as great as ever. Be prepared to walk. It is a big place and takes a lot of walking. Rooms: Clean and have the basic neccesaties. The rooms show some age but are clean and everything worked. TV (which is not why I go on vacation) is old and only a couple channels in English. Fridge stocked with beer, water and soda. Sign says only restocked every other day, but I never noticed being out of anything. Nice patios that look over the very well kept grounds. They are well kept starting at 7am =(. First day weed eater outside the window. Food: Ok, here is my speciality, I love to eat. Buffet is a buffet. You can always find something out of the mass of food, and it does change everyday. They feature different types of food on different days and keep the staples. Sit down restaurants: Gormet, should be gorGROSS. Not sure how to describe it. I was all set for this special tastebud altering food. I got old pea soup, rubber lobster and went to the buffet and had sushi. Mexican, Really good food, a little confucsing beacuse everything is called a taco. We had flat steak which was really really good. Steak house, my top pick on this trip. Perfect salad selection and some of the best steak I have had in a long time. Cooked steak to perfection. We did the Japanese last year and it was incredible! Now the downside. If you want a sit down, good luck getting what you want unless you eat at 9:30. Kind of dissappointing since none of the restaurants were anywhere close to full when we were there. POOLS: yes pools. It is really one gint pool kinda but different sections. We stayed near the quiet pool, nice area to drink and relax. Carlos the bartender kept us in cold drinks and great conversation. If you want one of the limited seats by the pool have to get there before 5am. Despite the signs all the chairs have stuff on them by 5:30am. Beach: Wonderful activtity full beach. Always something going on, but you can also be alone and relax. Lots of chairs and we never really had trouble finding one. Beach has a dive shop onsite. We did one dive with them. A little like a cattle drive and treated like a student rather then a diver. Went to Cozumel with Papa Hogs and had the experience of a lifetime. Worth the trip there. ENTERTAINMENT: anyone that has been there would understand 1,2,3, shoompaa. The star friends team does a show every night. We didn't miss any. I would just say VEGAS style and professionalism. One last thing: the mall has a "soda shop" for late night burgers. They are to die for.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
Kelowna
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2011

I have stayed at many 5 Star Resorts and this is not one of them. Should be rated as only a 3 star. The food was good but not much selection and where was the seafood, in the sea I guess as it was not on the buffet. The rooms were fine, buy again not a 5 star. My biggest complaint is you have to set your alarm to get up at 6:00 am to get a chair around the pool or at the beach. Excuse me I'm on holidays who wants to get up at 6:00 am. When I spoke to someone about the chairs and my other concerns they did not seem to care. I told the them that this hotel should not have a 5 star rating and I was told the other hotels have better service. I usualy think when I see other reviews that are not great the person has just had a bad day, but guess what this is a very nice 3 star but is no way a 5 star. If you have never been to any other place and have someone who is willing to get up at 6:00 am to get chairs (I'm not kidding) and like boring food. They alway had deep fried food, hamburgers, hotdogs, french fries. This is the place for someone who does not know what a 5 star resort is!!!

• Stayed March 2011
Manitoba, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2011

March 5 - 12 2011
We could not find one thing wrong with this resort. We stayed in the "Beach" section of the resort. Food was great and plentiful. Resort and rooms were clean and well taken care of. Star Friends were infectious and do a wonderful job even after a very long day, we normally don't get involved in any of the activities, but the star Friends were fun to be around. Loved all the animals roaming the grounds. Also loved the fact that you didn't need to leave the beach all day if you didn't want to, beach snack bar, bar and restrooms all within a short distance. Beds, just as comfortable, if not more, than at home. It was a week of paradise away from our Manitoban Winter. Would definitely go back again. Negative reviews must come from negative people.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Kenosha, WI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2011

The most beautiful place I have ever stayed at. Been to Hawaii, Jamaica and the old Cancun. Just be sure to wear non slip sandles. I fell 3 times in a week, due to the floors being cleaned and slick. The signs were posted but I still went down. There is a lot of wild life on the property. Noisy birds, flamigos, cats and some other creatures I do not know. Almost like a fox with a long nose and log tails. Make sure you like veggies and fresh fruits. All excellent. Not a meat and potato place. If you like pico de gallo and avacados, they have by far the best. If you order rum and coke, you will get dark rum and coke. If you would like bacardi and coke, order bacardi and coke. Bring singles with as your drinks and wait staff will be all over you as they mostly are already. These people work hard at six days a week and always have a smile on their faces. Will go back in a heart beat. I am so rested and got a lot of vitamin D. (sunshine)

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2011 via mobile

I'm a teenager, well 13 so not really. I went to this resort last week and had an amazing time! I had been to an Iberostar resort once before in Jamaica, and I definately enjoyed more. I don't understand how people had such negative comments! Either they have WAY too high expectations, or they're uptight adults who don't know fun when it hits them on the nose.
I loved that it was big, there was lots to do and it was fun to walk around and look at the animals.
The forest/vegetation whatever was so cool! Honestly it was one of the best parts of the resort. There were tons of amazing animals that you'd never see in Canada.
It was very clean, there was always somebody cleaning somewhere and they did a good job.
The food is warm, and they do change up their spread each night. The resterants are always open at reasonable times. There are lots of waiters who take your plates and empty glasses. Food is refilled right away: twice I found that something I wanted was missing, and they restocked it in less that 15 seconds after I got there.
We had no bug or ant issue. At all.
I personally loved that everything was open and had no windows or doors. It was cool how the birds could fly in.
The weather was pretty good. We had sun everyday except our second day, where there was a thunderstorm, but that wasn't a setback whatsoever. Weather is weather, you can't change it.
The beach was great. There was a bar and a grill and nice bathrooms. The water was really warm and the waves were great for bodysurfing.
The pool was clean and warm, not cold. The pool bars were great and the ice-cream bar was amazing. I swear, their coconut ice-cream was the best I have EVER tasted.
We went to the Meddeteranian(?) à la carte and it was okay, but the buffets were much better. I tried squid (ew) because they didn't write squid on the card, they wrote something that started with a C.
All the excursions looked great, even though I didn't get to go on one because my parents just wanted to enjoy the resort.. whatever.
There was a few minor things that I didn't like, but they still didn't make a difference with how much I LOVED the trip:
The lifeguard on the beach kept blowing his whistle at people who got close to the rocks.
There were red flags up on the beach everyday even if the water wasn't that bad. I don't think they own anything other than red flags...
And, everything else I enjoyed! No, I loved!
We checked in at the Beach, but got put in the del Mar section. That was okay though, I didn't mind at all.
It really doesn't take 15 minutes to get from the beach to the lobby, unless you have a walker. We timed it, and it took our family 7 minutes. We aren't particularly fast walkers either!
Wow, I just noticed I didn't use a lot of exclamation and stuff in this... Oh well! Me, my parents, and my sister all enjoyed this trip very much! In fact, we read some of the negative comments before we left and while we were there kinda made fun of the stupid ones like "the beds were hard" My bed was no harder than my bed at home! Oh, and I forgot, the staff were very nice and always acknowledged us when we walked by.
DONT LISTEN TO OTHER PEOPLES NEGATIVE COMMENTS... THEY'RE LYING OR SOMETHING :)
I just know that we all LOVED IT;)

• Stayed March 2011
Saint Paul, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2011

Just got back from one week stay at Iberostar Paraiso Beach. Never posted a review before but this place deserves to be singled out and told myself I would post a review when I got back. We would go back here in a heartbeat! This place is just gorgeous. The resort is huge! 5 Iberostar hotels on the property (Del Mar, Lindo, Maya, and Grand Hotel are the others) so you can walk around and not feel like you are in a compound. The property is gated so you can rest assure it is safe even walking at night (BTW - very pretty and serene walking at night). The grounds are immaculate. I can confirm previous postings attesting to the cleanliness of the facilities - they are constantly cleaning, cleaning, cleaning, and then cleaning some more. Even the walking paths! My wife and I were very impressed with the quality of the food, especially since we are big cruise ship aficionados and the food is one of the things that keeps us going back on cruises. The buffet food quality was very good. We ate in 4 of the specialty restaurants - Brazilian and Gourmet were outstanding, Mexican very good, Mediterranean OK. The service was exceptional at each. Lounge areas do stock premium brand liquors - I was pleased to be able to sip on a 15 year old rum with my cigar. Oh, by the way, they have a nice cigar lounge and also had a gentleman rolling hand made cigars in the lobby of Del Mar most evenings. I smoked a couple and thought they were very nice cigars indeed. Red flags on the beach every day of our trip, but the pool areas are so beautiful you'll want to be there anyway. Got up at 6am daily to get our prime location. The staff, and I mean everyone, is friendly and the service is definitely there. Again, can't say enough how beautiful this resort is and how much we enjoyed our stay!! We will definitely vacation here again.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Iberostar Paraiso Beach? Share your experiences!