Positive: This is a lovely private, low key, exclusive resort......less than a 100 rooms, beautiful grounds, natural setting..... blends in with the native landscape. None of that Disneyland/ Las Vegas/ Palm Springs/Hawaii over the top luxury theme-park look which I hate. And no golf course, just natural vegetation which for me is a plus.
Very nice Mexican staff, highly professional..... the first-name use did not bother me as it did another reviewer, and my family loved the complimentary treats delivered on the beach.....fruit, gaspacho and ice cream offered by the beach waiters. In fact they could have come more often!
Great place to unwind and relax, and I am happy to report there are many nice families with kids over Christmas and New Year, but the resort was always quiet, respectful and laid back.
The beach is beautiful, lots of sand, warm water.....just the right amount of waves so you could bodysurf, but never dangerous, providing you can swim reasonably well.
Downside: a fair amount of wind, so you get the sand blowing in your face when your lying on the beach.....think Lawrence of Arabia or operation desert storm. We were there for 11 days, and only a few days without wind which were truly glorious.
Sun goes down quite early and the beach is oriented so that by 3 pm, there is no more sun on the beach.
Other negative:.(maybe becuase of the wind).....there's a fair amount of plastic and rubbish, that occasionally shows up in the sea or on the beach, which takes away from the feeling of being in Paradise.
BIGGEST NEGATIVE: the hotel has fabulous queen-size sunbeds, but needs a policy for these!
We were a family of 4 who stayed for 11 days with 2 rooms.....which does not come cheap in a place like this.......nevertheless, we would arrive to the beach early in the morning and find that all the sunbeds had already been "reserved".......Guests would leave their sandals or a magazines on top, and then show up (may-be) around 2 pm......
This is inexcusable for a small, luxury hotel of this category and really marred an otherwise relaxing vacation.
Restaurant: Breakfast which is complimentary is the best meal.....A special mention to the Mexican lady who makes fresh corn tortillas every morning....this adds a very personal touch to the hotel....the Quesadillas are out of this world.
The outdoor restaurant patio is lovely but otherwise the food is ok, and very expenisve.....
- Also Known As:
- Maroma Resort And Spa By Orient-Express Hotel
- Maroma Resort And Spa By Orient-Express Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Maroma Resort
- Maroma Resort Spa
- Maroma Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Maroma Resort And Spa By Orient-Express Playa Paraiso, Riviera Maya, Mexico
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to Maroma Resort and Spa, an award-winning luxury beach resort hotel on the Riviera Maya, Mexico. Experience the magic and the beauty of profound well-being in an eternal paradise located in a breathtaking corner of the Yucatan jungle on the Riviera Maya. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Splendia, Venere, Amex, EasyToBook, Olotels, Priceline, Tingo, Hotels.com and HotelsClick so you can book your Maroma Resort and Spa by Orient-Express reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.