“Wedding at the Palace...Our Stay Was MUCH BETTER THAN EXPECTED!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Viva Wyndham Dominicus Palace

You added Viva Wyndham Dominicus Palace to your Saves list
Viva Wyndham Dominicus Palace
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Bayahibe, Dominican Republic   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #9 of 12 Hotels in Bayahibe
Illinois
“Wedding at the Palace...Our Stay Was MUCH BETTER THAN EXPECTED!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2010

My husband, 20 family members and I all stayed at the palace in January. From the other reviews we were a little worried; however we had a great time. I'm going to be very honest and detailed. We traveled with 11 Chileans and 9 Americans. I am American and my husband is Chilean. Those who spoke Spanish had an easier time than those who spoke English. However, pretty all the Americans had a great time at the hotel and were able to manage. My mother was impressed that if she spoke to anyone who did not speak English they would immediately get her someone who spoke English. The staff speaks mostly Spanish and Italian. The hotel is perfect for younger or unpertentious travelers! I saw lots of families as well who all seemed happy. There actually is a night life! If you want to meet lots of Americans and are unwilling to mingle with Italians and Spanish speakers than maybe you will not like this hotel. We however LOVED IT we danced at the pool each night where everyone gathers and drinks. We had a great time each night. After the pool party we would all head to the pizzeria or disco. Some nights we just hung out on the beach. The hotel is connected to the Dominicus Beach therefore the resort is very wide. I loved this fact because there was a lot of beach! The staff was very friendly especially the Guests Services who helped us plan our wedding and coordinate dinners for 22 people. Our wedding coordinator Barbara and her staff Rosanna and Eduardo were great and friendly. We loved the lobby bar Marcus and Raul were incredibly accommodating and helpful. The lobby bar and the VIP area are the only bars with nice alcohol. All the other bars serve mostly Dominican vodka, rum and whisky. However the drinks were still fine. We had a wedding there at he Viva Cafe and it was BEAUTIFUL!!! They did a fabulous job on our cake and the decorations. The ceremony was at sunset and perfect. I actually cried the whole time and I'm not really a crier; however it simply was breath taking.
Comparason to the OASIS CANOA:
Wyndham:
We really enjoyed the greenery at Wyndham! The grounds were what you look for in a tropical resort. The beach was wide and full of palms for shade and soft sand. There were some rocks at the viva cafe and the roca grill. The hotel is not a five star but the grounds have an organic look they are more natural which we enjoyed. The hotel was vibrant with lots of colors and life; exactly what you look for in a tropical paradise. The beach was great. We went on a private catamaran cruise and were able to see all the other resorts and the Wyndham definitely has the most beach space. However you don’t feel like the hotel is too big because it’s just stretched along the beach. The rooms were kept very clean. The staff was constantly painting, gardening, and improving. I liked our room we had a couch a bar area refrigerator chairs and every room had a balcony. The food could be improved at the restaurants, but the buffet was great. I was always able to find something at the buffet for me. The food for the wedding at the Viva Café was great. I also liked the Mexican and Italian restaurants. I think that the only improvements necessary would be better food at some of the restaurants. The pizzeria was a life saver at night. We used it as a pub there was beer and pizza…. and lots of people got their fix after a night of drinking there. The hotel has no pretentions. You have the space to do what you want. The atmosphere was fun and relaxing. Remember that you get what you pay for. This is not a five star Manhattan place! This is a cheap three something star place with something for everyone. Overall the hotel was great!! My husband and I are already talking about returning.
OASIS:
Grass was short and manicured. The style was reminiscent of a spa/oriental clean look. I personally hated the grounds at the OASIS. We felt everything was too open with not enough flowers and greenery. I did not get a tropical feel from the place but more of a quiet garden spa. The buildings are all white. I realized that a cleanish, quiet white place was not what I’m looking for. Pros: pool was great and it had a swim up bar. The food was a little better than Wyndham. It was nicer in certain aspects than the Wyndham in that I think it is newer. It had a sports bar with soccer games. It is definitely a hotel for older quieter people. The room was a suite by the beach but I was disappointed with the bedding. I did not get the middle blanket and the pillows were bags half full of feathers. The room was not as nice as Wyndham’s it had whicker furniture that was nice but the floors and bed were not to par. It had a more diverse crowd: French, German, Italian, Hispanic, Czech, Americans are some of the nationalities I found. Cons: the beach IS ON TOP OF ROCK OR CORAL!!! I scraped my leg playing volleyball the cement was right there. When I went into the water I fell off a rocky ledge in three different areas. The hotel is long but has a skinny beach. It lacked personality. I felt as though I could be in the US. It was very white. I’m only bringing up OASIS on my Wyndham review to give folks a comparison or help anyone decide between the two. I definitely prefer the Wyndham to the Oasis and recommend it! We all had a great time and the grounds and staff were great!!! I also want to thank the Wyndham Staff for making my wedding day so beautiful and caring so much about our stay!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family
VivaDominicusPalace, Guest Service at Viva Wyndham Dominicus Palace, responded to this review, February 3, 2010
Dear customer,

On behalf of viva Wyndham Dominicus Palace we thank you for having chosen our hotel for to celebrate your wedding together with your friends, also thank you for your feedback about your experience with us.

We feel much honored with your compliments and comments and very happy because we could meet your expectations. These comments help us to make better what we make good and keep us improving what is wrong.

We look forward to serving you once again in the near future.

Yours faithfully,

Victor Mercedes

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
Punta Cana, Dominican Republic
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2010

i stayed 1 night at bayahibe and looked for a place for dinner. after a short research we arrived at el rancho. we had a excellent service. the waitresses were very nice and pleasant. we also had the chance to meet the owner. he was sat just next to us on another table with friends and as my partner doesnt speak any language except french i had to tell her the italian menu which was translated to me by the waitress in spanish and then translated to my partner in french. he thought we had a problem as we lasted a bit long to order dut to what i just explained. he didnt introduce himself as the owner but try to understand what was wrong. nothing was wrong. at the end he invited us to a chupito. the pizzas were very good, chupitos too!!! the place is great. many italians customers. the only point i would change is may be translate the menu in one more language.

• Stayed January 2010
NY, NY
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2010

Overall, the resort was OK. But there are some things that we didn't like that might not matter as much to other people.
1. Our room seemed a bit old and run-down.
2. The night we arrived, the bathroom sink drain was clogged and the TV remote wasn't working. They fixed both the next morning.
3. We called 3 times for an iron but didn't receive it until we ask again at the front desk, the next day.
4. There are 2 buffet restaurants where you can walk in and eat during their service hrs. There are also specialty restaurants at the resort that require a reservation. You have to book it the day before at the guest service desk which opens at 8 AM. You have to get there before 8 AM because there's a long line after that and you run the risk of them being booked up. Our first night there, we tried to make a reservation but they were already all booked. A bit inconvenient.
5. There was a cart of dirty linen and garbage left outside our door, all 5 nights that we stayed there. We asked the front desk, several times, to have someone remove it but nothing happened.
6. We were leaving early 1 morning for an excursion and thought getting room service would be a good way to just eat and go. You had to put in your request at the front desk. The next morning, no room service. So we rushed down to the buffet to scarf down our breakfast and make it to the pickup point for our trip.

Even though these seem like minor things, we felt disappointed each time something went wrong. So it dampened our opinion.
But overall, we made the most of our trip and enjoyed ourselves. We used the water sports equipment that was provided. We saw a few live shows that were performed. And we went to the night club a few nights for dancing.
The wait staff were really nice to us since my boyfriend spoke to them in Spanish.
Be aware that La Romana attracts a lot of European tourists. Maybe 90% of the other tourists were Italian. We didn't meet any other visitors who spoke English.

We definitely would NOT recommend this resort to others.
Hopefully these comments help.

Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Dear customer,

Thank you for having chosen our hotel for your vacation and for your feedback.

We do offer our sincere apologies for the inconveniences you might have experienced. Your comments are very important and valuable for us because as you say they will help us to improve our service.

We hope that these regrettable facts will not prevent you to visit us again in the future.

Toronto
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2009

I have noticed no mention of roaches?
Well, if you sit for a while on the lobby seats, you might notice a few.. incredibly large and disgusting.

Apart from the roaches horrible entertainment! And mostly in Italian.

The overall atmosphere at the resort is very very different from other resorts in Dominican. And reading the comments below – I have to agree that they seem to prefer certain European Clientele.

Nice beach, ok snorkeling and scuba.

Horrible personnel - will not do anything without a tip. They expect you to pay so fill your pockets with larger bills. Dominican hotel personnel should learn from Cuban hotel personnel. By showing a bit of class, they might make more in tips!

Overall, not worth going there. I found Punta Cana and Puerto Plata resorts much classier and cleaner with a more pleasant atmosphere.

Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
VivaDominicusPalace, Guest Service at Viva Wyndham Dominicus Palace, responded to this review, February 1, 2010
Dear Customer,

Thanks for your valuable comments about the recent stay you had at Viva Wyndham Dominicus Palace, we apologize for any inconvenience you might have experienced and for not having met your expectations, Feedbacks like this help pass to improve our service and contribute to our mission of to make our customers happen a happy holiday.

We hope you give us the opportunity to serve you again in order to make you regain the confidence in our product.

Fort Collins, CO
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2009

This hotel has absolutly no customer service. My room did not have a working shower. I went to the front desk to compalin and the woman there first acted like I didn't know how to oeprate a shower. After assuringher I did she sent up a repair man. He told me that it was indeed broken and that he could not fix it until the next day and that he was going to have to take out the tile and the wall to reach the plumbing. I went to the desk and ask for a new room. The very rude desk clerk just said "No". She said if I had to take a shower that I could go actoss this very large poprety and take one in another place and then return tomy room. I asked for the manager and he was not ont he property. The next day no one showed up to fix the shower. i again went to the desk and compalined rather loudly this time and I was finally told that they would see what they could do and to pack my belongings and come back at 3:00PM. (I now have not had a shower in 24 hours) I returned at 3 and they told me they would move me. They moved me to a new room but there were no towels. I compalined and asked for towels. iwas told to go get the ones from my old room. By now everything in my old room was covered with tile dust. i told the desk this and they told me to shake them out. i again told them that this wouldnot be acceptable. They finally sent up towels. But they did not send a beach towel. I again called and asked for a beach towel. They told me again to go get the dirty one from my former room. Again I rfefused to use a towel covered in dust.

This is the type of treatment form the desk staff. The manager was never in. i asked for him several times and was always told he had just stepped out.

I will say the restaurant staff, maid staff and grounds keeperes were very poliet and tried to make the stay as nice as possible. However, it was ruined by the rude desk staff.

This is a beautiful location and resort. But the response to problems was unacceptable. I have stayed at many hotles all over the world and this was the worst experience I have ever had with the desk staff.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
Dear guest,

We want to thank you for having chosen our resort to spend your holiday. But at the same time, we feel deeply sorry to know about such a bad experience you’ve been through during your recent stay in our property. We sincerely apologize to you, and be aware that we will seriously take care of those complains, in order to improve our service and keep other customers away from similar situation. Once again, we apologize and hope that those inconveniences will not take away your confidence in our product.

Best regards,

Patrick Seriphin
Southampton, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2009

Well we arrived at the airport at La Romana.....we breezed through and found everyone to be efficient and friendly. When you leave passport control....the heat hits you though as there was no aircon in that part of the airport.
When we arrived at the hotel (about 40 mins later as we were the last drop) we were the first group of AI holiday makers from the UK to stay at that hotel and we were asked for vouchers which we did not have - a First Choice error! The hotel did everything that they could to resolve the issue but I did have to gurantee everyones rooms on my gold card until it was sorted. But they were very helpful all the same.
We were given punch and t-shirts on arrival.........very nice too!! We had booked a sea facing room and were a little walk from the main reception but the room was bright, airy, spotlessly clean (and I am uber fussy about these things) so when I say spotless, I mean it. My only criticism was that there was no bath mat and I slid and knocked myself out, but the onsite doctor treated me at the infirmary for a bump on my forehead and I did not have to pay a cent! I knocked the bath tap clean off too, and wasn't billed for that either!!
The shows were amazing each night - Michael Jackson was amazing!! The animacion team kept us busy with all manner of things including merengue lessons! The pool was amazing too - clean and well kept.
We did trips to Santo Domingo - well worth it! Quad biking thru the sugar cane, horse back riding, trips to the banana plantation. Reasonably priced they were too!
The food was scrummy. Everything from Italian - Indian - Tradtional Fayre - there were 5+ restaurants so you were spoit for choice.
The beach was white sand and clear turquoise - it's carribean side too so no wind!
It did rain periodically but it was welcomed and the staff brushed it away before it would wet your feet - we found this crazy but we loved that they took so much care.
We say bright red crabs on the paths - only tiny, but you don't see it everyday.
You really couldn't wish for a better resort.
PS: two of the children we were with suffered with photodermatitis whilst we were away. The sun was strong and the sunblock we'd taken was applied frequently enough - lesson learned! The doctor administered jabs to deal with the allergic reaction and was fantastic with the kids!

• Stayed June 2006, traveled with family
Dear customer,

We want to thank for having chosen our resort for your recent stay in Bayahibe, and having dedicated a part of your precious time to give us your feed back about your vacation in our property. We really appreciate your comments and feel so happy that we’ve filled all your expectations, and hope to have the opportunity in the future to offer you once again our service.

Best regards,

Patrick Seriphin
Brooklyn, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2009

This hotel is geared towards Italian clientele. All the activities are in Italian and no attemp is made to cater to English speaking audience. Having said that, if you are looking for clean rooms, pretty gardens, good food and gorgeous beach time wth family then this may just be the place to go. Sunsets are phenomenal, beach is beatiful and clean and food is above average.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
VivaDominicusPalace, Guest Service at Viva Wyndham Dominicus Palace, responded to this review, December 9, 2009
Dear Customer:

It is a pleasure for us to thank you for having chosen us for your vacation and for having written your feedback about your recent stay in our hotel Viva Wyndham Dominicus Beach, we will follow the comment of (the activities only in Italian) your information is very constructive and will help us to pursue continuous improvement.

We hope that this inconvenient will not prevent you from visiting us once again.

Victor Mercedes

Been to Viva Wyndham Dominicus Palace? Share your experiences!