“SURVIVOR, GILLIGAN'S ISLAND OR THE GOOD, THE BAD AND THE UGLY” 2 of 5 stars

3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Bayahibe, Dominican Republic   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #9 of 12 Hotels in Bayahibe
missy923
“SURVIVOR, GILLIGAN'S ISLAND OR THE GOOD, THE BAD AND THE UGLY”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

Let me start off by saying, I categorize me and my spouse as budget travelers. We have booked Marriotts, Barcelos and cruised with Carnival. I wanted to say that, so no one gets the impression that we expect a Four Seasons experience from a Holiday Inn. I never stayed at a Wyndam resort and after reading reviews of this specific hotel, there were either really good experiences or really bad, so we decided that it was a matter of expectation and considering we are budget travelers, we can always make the most of it and enjoy a beautiful Caribbean experience. I like to start off positively: THE GOOD: The bed was comfortable. The buffets. Yes, the food at the buffets was quite good. I think they offered a nice selection, especially at lunch. And dinner had a nightly theme. It was all quite tasty. The wait staff, especially Bienvenido and Alberto gave 5 star services. The breakfast buffet offered Bloody Marys, Mimosa, and eggs cooked to order which were a nice touch for a buffet. The Beach’s dinner buffet was very nice, actually better than the Palace. Welcome drinks, make your own crepes for dessert made it feel special. The all around atmosphere at the Beach section was better than the Palace. The ocean was a crystal clear turquoise blue and the beach was clean. Plenty of lounge chairs and shelter from the sun. The pool. The pool was very clean, and just cool enough to be refreshing. The bar, nice drinks and strong enough if you requested an alcoholic beverage. The restaurant, Viva Café nice service and a pretty atmosphere. The ocean was rough and the presentation/atmosphere at the buffets was cafeteria like but THAT’s Okay. THE BAD: The staff, although empathetic and sympathetic struggled with English. Even concierge. The room. Not what was pictured on the Cheap Caribbean website. Ocean Front does NOT mean Ocean view. The dresser offered two small drawers (broken, stained and chipped) for clothing. The top of the formica dresser had white caulking stains and was chipped. Television not as stated, it has cable not satellite, 80 channels 4 were in English and those had “snow”. No internet connection, unless you pay for it, and the “free wifi” in the lobby only, was sporadic and dial-up slow. The shower was a hand held device with little water pressure. Sand on the mat (not a rug) between the beds when we arrived. The room was cold and stark. Stained bed coverings. Resort location is not “set back” like the other resorts, it’s in the heart of a dicey area of town. Hotel looks like a gated condo complex. Fish/Water pond is swamp like. The grounds are dry and patches of dead grass everywhere. No elevators. Mini-fridge, upon arrival you are awarded three bottles of soda, which are not replenished. You are allotted two water bottles a day. If you want to make coffee, you are not brushing your teeth. The bathroom fixtures were dirty. Must call for towels. The food portions at the restaurants, tapas size. The Mexican Restaurant’s menu was one page. And the food inedible. I asked for a Margarita and the waiter looked at me like I was crazy. Beer, wine (red or white) and soda that’s it. When we ordered an appetizer each he gave us the impression that we were asking for lobster and champagne. Do not expect beef. Your choices are chicken, pork and cheap cuts of fish cod and the like. The snack bars were hideous not even the fresh fruit was edible. I never saw red hot dogs before. Upon arrival, concierge makes “appointments” for you on the first full day of your vacation, ground transportation for when you leave and a one on one "tour "of the premises by concierge. We need appointments for that? What they really are sales pitches for excursions and Viva’s vacation club. During the “tour” they sit you down at some point and they want to know your income and credit card you’ll be using.. On the hotel premises is a private condo complex where pets are allowed, so I awoke to dogs barking as well. There is no bocce ball, afternoon tea, welcome drink, billiards. No game room, except ONE ping pong table. Out of 10 restaurants we were only allowed to book two (three were available). The reason for that, is explained in the ugly. And even all of THAT IS OKAY. THE UGLY: What I have not read as of yet on Trip Advisor nor is it stated on either Wyndam’s website, or Cheap Caribbean’s (which I was surprised and disappointed about), is the hotel is in a state of repair, notice I didn’t say renovation? Renovation is different because during a renovation areas are cordoned off to alleve as much inconvenience as possible. There were hazards everywhere wooden handrails being varnished, which would be okay if the stairs weren’t wet and broken. The wood bridge over the water pond had planks being replaced, and you don’t realize this until planks are being thrown down right in front of you, what separates you from this is yellow tape that I thought for sure was crime scene tape. The adjoining property is being resurfaced so you awaken to saws and hammering at 8:00 a.m. The location of the hotel is bad. As you walk along the breezeways merchants from across the street holler up to you to “come on over”. With the exception of El Palico, Viva Café, and Mexicana all other restaurants are not available due to the “Renovation”. But what is NOT OKAY IS: On day one of our stay we were without flushing toilets, no TV signal, and running water. I will compromise on most things but when it comes to hygiene, no apologies, nothing is negotiable. If I wanted to go camping, I would’ve stayed in the states, and saved over 2000 USD. The representative from Olympic tours tried to get us a room change, after being gone for 10 minutes she came back with a manager who stated it was a general problem that he was aware of and “they were working on it” but, “if it is your room, we will move you asap” so what you are REALLY saying is you don’t know what’s going on, and we may be without running water and flushing toilets for a week. How about moving us to a different room just in case? What about staff? What are they using? Didn’t this hotel just get through a stomach virus epidemic? Now I know why. I immediately went back to our room called Cheap Caribbean and asked for another hotel. To which they could not oblige me. HOWEVER amazingly enough, after a phone call from my CC rep everything began working, had a TV signal, running water etc. Later we were approached by Concierge, who said, she is sending someone to fix the TV so we can get “hundreds of channels” but we need to be in the room at the time. Wait you don’t know that it was a general problem, you are THE hotel representative? So, now, I was being lied to. It was all done with a big smile; I guess they are told if you are going to lie, do it pleasantly. Also during our “tour” we were told that VIP guests get priority reservations at the restaurants. If you reserve a table, and the restaurant becomes full, chances are, you will be bumped for a VIP member. They are offered rooms that have bathtubs and “other amenities not available to others”. They get a discounted rate as well. So we, full priced customers, get screwed. We understand, you get what you pay for, but, you shouldn’t be punished for it either. Cannot recommend this hotel at this time.

Room Tip: Ocean front does not mean ocean view. Palm trees obstruct it all. Far away from the restaurants and...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
New York, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

I just got back from the Dominican Republic with my boyfriend my cousin and his girl. We had a lovely time in this resort the staff was very friendly and the food was excellent we have no complaints. The only thing I didn't like was when we first got there the room smelled a little muggy but it was gone the next day maybe because it rained really hard the first day we got there. The beach is beautiful clear blue water I wish I can go back!! We purchased the transportation from Olympus tours it was excellent they picked us up and took us back when we were living the drivers were very friendly we had Lenny picking us up he was hysterical and very informative. And fanny our Olympus tour guide was very good and friendly.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

We have been to this hotel twice already,and we booked for next year one month already.Last time we whent we asked to have the same room but was occupied alredy, but after one night they changed us to the same room that I wanted.They wore very helpful with us.We arrived at the airport La Romana the bus was waiting for us,they picked us up and 20 minutes we wore there.As we whent in to chck in the hostess was waiting for us with a glass of champain.The staff was very good,any place we whent we wore treathed wery good,that's why we are going back for 1 month.I would recommend this hotel to any body,money well spent.

Room Tip: The best rooms are ocean view, and the one close to the reception area.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
VivaDominicusPalace, Guest Relations Manager at Viva Wyndham Dominicus Palace, responded to this review, October 7, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you very much for apprise us with your comments regarding your recent stay in our property, we are more than glad to read all of your positive comments and also glad to know that we are reaching our goal which is the total satisfaction of each one of our visitor.

We hope to have the chance of being your selection once again for your future vacations.

Best regards

Allentown, Pennsylvania, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

Only complain is the receptionist Luis, HORRIBLE customer service. After that hurdle was crossed, our stay was great! Room was pristine. Service top notch! The BEST part of our stay was the staff... From the bellboy, waiters and cleaning people. Such warm, loving staff! Welcoming. Respectful. Made us feel right at home. I would go back to this facility for the people! Beaches=Breathtaking!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Visitor,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know your comments about your recent stay in our hotel. We are happy to know that you spend a great time in our facilities and also that we were at the height of your expectations.

Here in Viva Wyndham Resorts we are expecting your return to once again offer you our best attentions.

Best Regards,

New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

I was excited to repeat my past experience at this resort but the moment I enter was a disaster. First the reservation I made was for a king size bed with ocean view, when we enter the room we saw 2 queen size beds. We returned to reservation, we spoke with Alejandro that told to sleep in one bed and not to use the other one. Just that answered made us upset. We explain to him that our reservation request was for a king size not two beds that was a romantic vacation. He told that Viva Resort is a family resort and the resort does not have enough bed to accommodate couples that we will need to stay with the room we were assigned. We complain for several minutes with him regarding the reservation. We told him that we reserved a superior king size with ocean view, he told us needed to make a special request if we really wanted a king size bed in our reservation. That excuse really upset us more. Why we will need to make an especial request when the reservation is for a king size bed? Then he decides to change us to another room after telling us there was no vacancy in the hotel. When we went to the room decide to take a shower I almost felt because the ceiling of the bathroom was leaking. Return again to reservation told Alejandro about the leak and also the refrigerator was empty only with a bottle of water, he told the hotel don’t supply anything for the refrigerator, also no coffee maker. I told him from past experience that was not true. He just told us he been working for more than six years and always been like that. The next day at 8:45 my door was locked but the cleaning lady did not care and knock our door several times really hard just to deliver the coffee maker. We found that really rude if we have the do not disturb sign and the door was lock, why she felt the need to wake me up just to deliver something so early? Ok, she woke us up early on my first day, we decided to go to the beach, no problem enjoy the time there. The animation was okay but the guys were more attentive to the single women and trying to have a relationship than making everybody have fun. Also the way some of the animations guys behave in front of the children were too vulgar and with sexual innuendo that discussed me. We later returned to the room past 4 in the afternoon to find that no one clean the room. I call customer service then a person was sent to clean the room, the refrigerator never was filled. The people that worked there are not friendly at all, never say a simple hello or good morning. When you are sitting by the pool the retrieve the glass you are drinking without even asking you if you need to replace it. The only good service I had was at Viva Cafe, Martin our waiter made our dinner the most splendid night. The food at Yuca was ok but not much variation. We paid for 4 nights 9/13-9/16/13 but I was so disappointed with the service that I decided to cut short and leave the day before. I prefer to paid another night at another hotel that to stay another minute in a place that we did not felt welcome at any time. I feel that Viva Dominicus Palace needed more the money than me to start training their staff . The reason I went there was that in my previous trip I had a great time this time I realize they upgrade the room but forgot to teach their staff hospitality the first lesson in the hotel business. I have travel to plenty of resorts but the customer service here is the worst, unless the only cater to Italians and the rest are not welcome. But sincerely I do not recommend this resort after the service we received. Viva Dominicus Palace needs to train better their staff in how to treat their guests. I am not asking for special favor but the point of going to a resort is to feel happy and be pamper not to be doing everything because you staff don’t feel the need to treat the guest with hospitality.

Room Tip: The room are good and I prefer Oceanview from the second floor up. But the cleaning and customer ser...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
VivaDominicusPalace, General Manager at Viva Wyndham Dominicus Palace, responded to this review, October 2, 2013
Dear Guest

We deeply regret not having fulfilled your expectations as a guest with our services, facilities and accommodations. Also we want to let you know that each one of your comments has been taken seriously by our general direction in order to avoid situations like this may happen again.

We really hope that you will give us the opportunity to recover your trust in our products by visiting us again, so that, you could appreciate that your comments were very helpful for us to improve our services.

Regards

SW Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

We arrived at 5pm our check in was quick and courteous, we booked a standard room but were upgraded for no additional charge to a large ocean view room. The room was spotless and we couldn't wait to see the beach.
The following day at hotel services desk we booked 3 a la carte restaurants, we booked the italian restaurant, the mexican restaurant and the grill cafe for our final evening. All meals were beautifully presented and variety was adequate and service was great. The food is not gourmet but a step above the buffet. We especially loved the grill cafe for its waterfront dining and romantic atmosphere.
The buffet breakfast offered a variety of breads, fruit and an omelette station. Some of the foods that needed to be kept hot were left uncovered and therefore dried out, like the pancakes and french toast. Lunches at the buffet offered a variety of choices that are typical for a buffet lunch including a panini press to make your own sandwiches and a pasta station with different sauces. The dinner buffet again was average, every night was a theme night. Soups, salads pasta stations, carving stations, fruits, vegetables and the usual deserts. Don't plan on bringing any food to your room since no food is allowed out of the buffet area.
The grounds are beautifully kept with a variety of tropical plants, to use the pool at the Palace one had to either jump in or use the metal ladders. It was only 3-4 feet deep making it a little difficult to swim. The whirlpool next to the pool was a kid favorite spot so it was difficult to just relax in there. There is a children's splash pool on the other side of the pool but we never saw any kids in that one. The grill by the pool offers hamburgers, hotdogs, french fries and pasta salad. The bar offers a variety of tropical drinks but nothing with real fruit and served with subpar liquor. Their cappuccino station is great, usually had one in the evening on our balcony.
The beach is the best part of the resort. Lots of palm trees for shade, plenty of lounge chairs for everyone and to top it off you can snorkel right off the beach. There are plenty of tropical fish to keep anyone entertained for hours. The water is calm and clear and great for swimming.
And now comes the bad.We went to a show in the evening that was advertised as a Las Vegas style show and were very disappointed. It was more like a slapstick comedy show in italian and not speaking italian we did not understand the show since it was mostly all dialog sprinkled with animation in between. We left the resort on Sunday after spending 8 days only at the resort. On Monday morning my husband and I had severe intestinal issues which required us to go to our doctor for treatment with antibiotics. We did not leave the resort nor did we engage in any tours so all our meals up to the time the symptoms appeared were at the resort. we also were very careful to only drink and brush our teeth with bottled water. It is 7 days now since our visit and we are just now starting to feel better. We are experienced travelers, especially all-inclusives and we are very careful within reason what we try to eat or drink. Although the hotel appears clean and everyone is constantly cleaning food and drink areas there is a bacteria and/or a virus infecting the resort. Even though we had a great time, our experience was tainted by the illness. That is why we only gave it 2 stars and will not be returning to this resort.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Bangkok, Thailand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

we stayed in this hotel for the 4th time, but for the first time in the Palace. and I must admit that the quality is not comparable at the Beach. good animation. a separated club fot Italian people, but everybody is welcome for all the games and activities. Champagne for free at the lobby-bar from 11AM. exotic garden and fauna. in our 3-weeks stay we hadn't the need for a theme restaurant. there was enough choice at the buffet.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
VivaDominicusPalace, Guest Relations Manager at Viva Wyndham Dominicus Palace, responded to this review, September 20, 2013
Dear Guest

Thanks for bringing to our attention your comments regarding your recent stay in our property. It is a pleasure for us to know that you spent a great vacation with our service.

We hope to have the opportunity for the 5 time to offer you our best attentions.

Regards

Customer Care

Been to Viva Wyndham Dominicus Palace? Share your experiences!