“Worst service ever” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 12 Hotels in Bayahibe
New York City, New York
“Worst service ever”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

I was excited to repeat my past experience at this resort but the moment I enter was a disaster. First the reservation I made was for a king size bed with ocean view, when we enter the room we saw 2 queen size beds. We returned to reservation, we spoke with Alejandro that told to sleep in one bed and not to use the other one. Just that answered made us upset. We explain to him that our reservation request was for a king size not two beds that was a romantic vacation. He told that Viva Resort is a family resort and the resort does not have enough bed to accommodate couples that we will need to stay with the room we were assigned. We complain for several minutes with him regarding the reservation. We told him that we reserved a superior king size with ocean view, he told us needed to make a special request if we really wanted a king size bed in our reservation. That excuse really upset us more. Why we will need to make an especial request when the reservation is for a king size bed? Then he decides to change us to another room after telling us there was no vacancy in the hotel. When we went to the room decide to take a shower I almost felt because the ceiling of the bathroom was leaking. Return again to reservation told Alejandro about the leak and also the refrigerator was empty only with a bottle of water, he told the hotel don’t supply anything for the refrigerator, also no coffee maker. I told him from past experience that was not true. He just told us he been working for more than six years and always been like that. The next day at 8:45 my door was locked but the cleaning lady did not care and knock our door several times really hard just to deliver the coffee maker. We found that really rude if we have the do not disturb sign and the door was lock, why she felt the need to wake me up just to deliver something so early? Ok, she woke us up early on my first day, we decided to go to the beach, no problem enjoy the time there. The animation was okay but the guys were more attentive to the single women and trying to have a relationship than making everybody have fun. Also the way some of the animations guys behave in front of the children were too vulgar and with sexual innuendo that discussed me. We later returned to the room past 4 in the afternoon to find that no one clean the room. I call customer service then a person was sent to clean the room, the refrigerator never was filled. The people that worked there are not friendly at all, never say a simple hello or good morning. When you are sitting by the pool the retrieve the glass you are drinking without even asking you if you need to replace it. The only good service I had was at Viva Cafe, Martin our waiter made our dinner the most splendid night. The food at Yuca was ok but not much variation. We paid for 4 nights 9/13-9/16/13 but I was so disappointed with the service that I decided to cut short and leave the day before. I prefer to paid another night at another hotel that to stay another minute in a place that we did not felt welcome at any time. I feel that Viva Dominicus Palace needed more the money than me to start training their staff . The reason I went there was that in my previous trip I had a great time this time I realize they upgrade the room but forgot to teach their staff hospitality the first lesson in the hotel business. I have travel to plenty of resorts but the customer service here is the worst, unless the only cater to Italians and the rest are not welcome. But sincerely I do not recommend this resort after the service we received. Viva Dominicus Palace needs to train better their staff in how to treat their guests. I am not asking for special favor but the point of going to a resort is to feel happy and be pamper not to be doing everything because you staff don’t feel the need to treat the guest with hospitality.

Room Tip: The room are good and I prefer Oceanview from the second floor up. But the cleaning and customer ser...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
VivaDominicusPalace, General Manager at Viva Wyndham Dominicus Palace, responded to this review, October 2, 2013
Dear Guest

We deeply regret not having fulfilled your expectations as a guest with our services, facilities and accommodations. Also we want to let you know that each one of your comments has been taken seriously by our general direction in order to avoid situations like this may happen again.

We really hope that you will give us the opportunity to recover your trust in our products by visiting us again, so that, you could appreciate that your comments were very helpful for us to improve our services.

Regards

Customer Care

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
SW Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

We arrived at 5pm our check in was quick and courteous, we booked a standard room but were upgraded for no additional charge to a large ocean view room. The room was spotless and we couldn't wait to see the beach.
The following day at hotel services desk we booked 3 a la carte restaurants, we booked the italian restaurant, the mexican restaurant and the grill cafe for our final evening. All meals were beautifully presented and variety was adequate and service was great. The food is not gourmet but a step above the buffet. We especially loved the grill cafe for its waterfront dining and romantic atmosphere.
The buffet breakfast offered a variety of breads, fruit and an omelette station. Some of the foods that needed to be kept hot were left uncovered and therefore dried out, like the pancakes and french toast. Lunches at the buffet offered a variety of choices that are typical for a buffet lunch including a panini press to make your own sandwiches and a pasta station with different sauces. The dinner buffet again was average, every night was a theme night. Soups, salads pasta stations, carving stations, fruits, vegetables and the usual deserts. Don't plan on bringing any food to your room since no food is allowed out of the buffet area.
The grounds are beautifully kept with a variety of tropical plants, to use the pool at the Palace one had to either jump in or use the metal ladders. It was only 3-4 feet deep making it a little difficult to swim. The whirlpool next to the pool was a kid favorite spot so it was difficult to just relax in there. There is a children's splash pool on the other side of the pool but we never saw any kids in that one. The grill by the pool offers hamburgers, hotdogs, french fries and pasta salad. The bar offers a variety of tropical drinks but nothing with real fruit and served with subpar liquor. Their cappuccino station is great, usually had one in the evening on our balcony.
The beach is the best part of the resort. Lots of palm trees for shade, plenty of lounge chairs for everyone and to top it off you can snorkel right off the beach. There are plenty of tropical fish to keep anyone entertained for hours. The water is calm and clear and great for swimming.
And now comes the bad.We went to a show in the evening that was advertised as a Las Vegas style show and were very disappointed. It was more like a slapstick comedy show in italian and not speaking italian we did not understand the show since it was mostly all dialog sprinkled with animation in between. We left the resort on Sunday after spending 8 days only at the resort. On Monday morning my husband and I had severe intestinal issues which required us to go to our doctor for treatment with antibiotics. We did not leave the resort nor did we engage in any tours so all our meals up to the time the symptoms appeared were at the resort. we also were very careful to only drink and brush our teeth with bottled water. It is 7 days now since our visit and we are just now starting to feel better. We are experienced travelers, especially all-inclusives and we are very careful within reason what we try to eat or drink. Although the hotel appears clean and everyone is constantly cleaning food and drink areas there is a bacteria and/or a virus infecting the resort. Even though we had a great time, our experience was tainted by the illness. That is why we only gave it 2 stars and will not be returning to this resort.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Bangkok, Thailand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

we stayed in this hotel for the 4th time, but for the first time in the Palace. and I must admit that the quality is not comparable at the Beach. good animation. a separated club fot Italian people, but everybody is welcome for all the games and activities. Champagne for free at the lobby-bar from 11AM. exotic garden and fauna. in our 3-weeks stay we hadn't the need for a theme restaurant. there was enough choice at the buffet.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
VivaDominicusPalace, Guest Relations Manager at Viva Wyndham Dominicus Palace, responded to this review, September 20, 2013
Dear Guest

Thanks for bringing to our attention your comments regarding your recent stay in our property. It is a pleasure for us to know that you spent a great vacation with our service.

We hope to have the opportunity for the 5 time to offer you our best attentions.

Regards

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

Who here is from Italy? Crowd: big applause
Who here is from America? Crowd: 7 people clapping...

Yes, this place is not overrun with Americans, or English-as-a-first-language people in general, and there are plenty of men wearing euro-style swimsuits. Inline with places in Europe, don't expect the most comfortable beds or sheets that are basically standard at every Holiday Inn (or better) in the United States.

However, it is a great place, and in my opinion, and great value, and on the best part of the DR. Also, it is very lively 24-hrs. The Italians (young and old) drink, talk, and dance till the wee-hours in the bar in front of the theatre.

The beach had excellent beach snorkeling, and easy access to the national parks of the area. The water is crystal clear, not like the blue murkiness of Punta Cana. Thus, Bayahibe area is much better for beach snorkeling.

I would recommend to stay at the Palace to experience all this resort has to offer...

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest

Thanks for bringing to our attention your positive comments regarding your recently stay in our facilities, we are glad to read your comments and know that you spent a great vacation with our service.

We hope to be your selection in the near future to spend a second vacation into the Caribbean.

Delaware
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

Okay, let's call a spade a spade. When you've stumbled onto an all inclusive package with a direct flight from JFK for five nights, and you're paying $700 you better trust your instincts.....or at the very least adjust your expectations. I had made the aforementioned expectation adjustment, and yet I was still shocked. Call it wide eyed optimism, call it naivete, call it whatever you want, but a dollar is a dollar, and one thing is for sure, if you are an American, your dollar is worth less here. What I mean by that, is that this resort hates Americans. Before I get ahead of myself and fall into a downward, ranting spiral of race relations let me back up and start from the beginning:

Check In: When we arrived at the hotel, we were of course early, and of course they would not let us check in early. They told us to just leave our bags and come back in like 4 hours. I looked at the front desk people like they were crazy, they didn't tell us that someone would put them in a back room, or someone would be watching them, or even give us a ticket to hold to match up to when we came back to claim the bags. They literally just had us leave our suitcases in the middle of the lobby floor for anyone to steal. I knew immediately that this was not going to be like my usual trips. For some background, I have been to DR 3 times..Jamaica, Playa, Costa Rica, and Aruba, so I know what to expect usually. I also had read all of the reviews on here to prep myself, so I truly did understand that the hotel was 3.5 stars, and that it was owned by Italians, and might be more on the European, less luxurious side. That being said, you can still be nice to your customers, that doesn't cost extra. I tried to explain that I wasn't comfortable leaving my bag, but they just ignored us and went about their day. Yes, there are people there who wear those buttons proclaiming "I speak English" but it didn't matter, they were all rude to us, English speaking and non-English speaking. Oh, and I speak a little Spanish, as well as my travelling partner, so we weren't totally ill-equipped.

Rooms: Finally, after the four hour moratorium on room check-in had elapsed, we went back to check in, and hopefully find our luggage. They were there, and we were feeling a little bit better....until we got to our room. There are no elevators here to get to your rooms, so you have to lug your bags up and down the stairs, which is a little awkward, and highly annoying. Okay, so we get into the room. We had a room that was as far away from the beach as you could get. In fact, we were right at the front parking lot of the resort....lovely. The room, the room, oh the room. The ceiling in our room happened to be like 27 feet tall but the ceiling in the bathroom was so short that when I put a towel on my head my arms hit the ceiling. The bathroom was super old and run down, and the toilet seat had a slight spring to the seat, where you weren't sure if at any given moment it might fly off the hinges. The rooms are sparse, and I am being generous when I say that. For example, there is no clock in the room...anywhere. This isn't Las Vegas, we are paying for all inclusive, you can give us a damn alarm clock. There is only one trash can, and it's in the bathroom, very inconvenient for two girls. The beds are ridiculous. One night as we were laying down I turned to my friend and said, 'hey, did you know that these beds are on SLABS of concrete?' Alas, the beds are actually just on slabs of concrete built into the floor. You only get like one and a half pillows, and if you think you're getting a blanket, even a thin one, think again. They supply one sheet on the bed, and I'm pretty sure it was a 5 count thread. We had to call down (twice) to get blankets, and when they FINALLY arrived they were covered in strange stains that were highly suspicious. They only allot two towels to the room, so we called for more towels, and received them promptly 17 hours later. And finally, to top it all off in the room was the television remote. Now, when I'm on vacation, at night when I'm sleepy from all the sun, swimming, etc...I like to relax and watch my TV. However, even this, the resort doesn't make easy for you. The TV remote is TETHERED to the wall. No, you didn't read that wrong, it is truly tethered to the wall, and tethered by the wrong end, so when you try to turn it the right way to point and click, you have to twist it, and hold it steady in place, and if for a moment you let your guard down, and forget that, oh yeah, I'm holding a tethered remote control, it will snap out of your hand and fly back against the wall. This was the first time I felt like I had an idea of what jail might be like.....everything nailed down from TV remote, to bed box springs.

Beach/Pool: The beach is actually really gorgeous and the grounds are huge so you can walk forever, and there is so much beach space to spread out. The pools are super crowded and small, and do not have swim up bars. In fact, not only do they not have swim up bars, but I got in trouble for bringing a plastic cup in the pool, and was chastised about not being able to drink in the pool. Oh, right, I forgot that this was jail, and not an all inclusive resort....silly me.

Food: Food was terrible, there is no way else to put it. They would only let us book 2 restaurants, and two of them were closed, so that left us with three choices. We only ended up going to one, and it was bad. The food was small, and dry. The buffet was not great either. Let me just say this one thing, and I'll move on, because I griped about it for days. WHERE IS THE BACON??? When we go on vacations, we want to eat the things we don't normally eat everyday, we want to be gluttonous, and over-indulgent. It was kind of like that TV show, 'Where in the world is Carmen San Diego', but replace that with bacon. Well, it is hidden next to the omelette station, but you have to specifically ask the omelette guy for some of it, and its super fatty, and actually, I'm pretty sure it wasn't bacon, but some other cut of pork. The food was just not good, I ate french fries everyday and pickles. That sustained me until I got home. The staff who waits on you in the buffet are completely inattentive, and if you ask for a really, really complicate order (insert sarcasm here) such as seltzer water with ice, beware what you will get back. And drink it slowly, because they may never come back to refill. On the last night we were there the waiter got that order right, and he also refilled our glasses when he saw we were like halfway through. I was so overcome with appreciation, I could have wept right there. I gave him all the money I had on me at the time which was only like 10 bucks, but he was shocked that I tipped him like that. He was the only staff member who was attentive or nice. That was the night that I wanted to just grab some food at the buffet and take it back to the room because I was not feeling well at all. We called the front desk to see if we would be able to do this (remember, this is an all inclusive and I have already paid for the food, and the front desk said no. We asked several more times and told him I wasn't feeling well, and he said, and I quote: "Only in an extreme emergency can we allow you to do that".) Oh right, this is jail, I keep forgetting that.

Miscellaneous: Beware, they charge you 2 dollars a day for the safe....yup 2 bucks. So of course, ours broke on day two or three, and we had to call to get it fixed. One thing to note that everyone should know is that Dominican time is way different than American time. 10 minutes Dominican is 30-45 American. Don't say I didn't warn you. So three phone calls, and three '10 minutes' later, it was an hour and half we were waiting for security. They could not fix the safe. The guy had this little gadget that he kept trying to stick in the safe, and it wasn't working, and after over an hour, I believe it was closer to two hours my friend finally looked at the machine, and the error message was in English, and the guy couldn't read English. So my friend had to figure out what was wrong with the calibration, and help fix the safe. Seriously? At this point, I hope I have sufficiently scared anyone else from ever staying here, because everything I have stated is true. So when we went to check out, they tried to charge us the 2 dollars for that day of the safe. My friends dug in, and geared up for the argument. They said we still had to pay, we refused, they insisted, we continued to refuse, and it was like watching High Noon, or an old western. I know it's only 2 bucks, but it was the principal of the matter. They finally had to get a supervisors approval, and begrudgingly agreed to take off the two dollars.

So in summary, wait, does this review really need a summary? Nope. Go elsewhere, anywhere, Rwanda, Sierra Leone, Siberia, North Korea, anywhere but here. I guess at the end of the day these are first world problems, but I stick by my story, and you were all warned. The rest is up to you.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Bountiful, Utah
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

I will never stay in their places again! We got sick. They ran out of water, in a country you can't drink the water!! We could not get enough water, when they had it. We had ants in the room that bit us at night. No tissues in the bathroom. Run don't stop here. We were there when most people got sick and they said it was the flu. Really? Their excuse. They took our time and lied to us what they were doing. We stayed 7/29/2013-8/6-2013. Can't tell you how bad it was!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
VivaDominicusPalace, Guest Relations Manager at Viva Wyndham Dominicus Palace, responded to this review, August 30, 2013
Dear Guest,

We have received and reviewed your comments, which are of great importance for us. We inform you that according to the public health standards and quality , our facilities meet all the requirements .
We confirm that all gastroenteritis cases reported in the hotel at the end of July are viral and once all the measures were taken, we have returned to total normality.

Thank you for taking the time to share with us your point of view.

Manassas, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

Having stayed at multiple all-inclusives we have come to know what to expect. This resort was on-par with the rest and nothing special but definitely nothing to be turned away from. Located in La Romana, we flew into Santo Domingo and took the two hour ride to the resort (fun trip!). The Palace does not have a grand of entrance as the beach resort, but it was accommodating. Staff was efficient and although I speak spanish, the rest of the family does not and we had no problems with communication, staff was always on hand that spoke a variety of languages. We were in 37 building which was a great location from beach to pool and food! The food was very average, edible but nothing too special. We ate at the italian which was ok as was the viva cafe... the only real disappointment from food was the snack bar in which Juan never had enough food out and the pizza was dry. The room was standard for Dominican with colors and art... flat TV and glass shower were a plus. Drinks were in our fridge in our room and a short walk to the bar could help if you needed any more. Every night, we went to the beach resort for the show.... much more entertaining than the place show and had english! The actual beach was clean and had plenty of chairs! Palm trees added to the atmosphere! There was a great snorkeling reef right off our beach and we were able to see tons of fish (pretty cool!). Shopping was in the resort and at fair prices.... we also ventured off campus to shop the local stores which virtually had the same items usually at higher prices! Overall great resort and we would probably return!

Room Tip: closer to beach... we liked building 37 because it was very central but not too close to the pool an...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
VivaDominicusPalace, Guest Relations Manager at Viva Wyndham Dominicus Palace, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you very much for apprise us with your comments regarding your recent stay in our property, we are more than glad to read all of your positive comments and also glad to know that we are reaching our goal which is the total satisfaction of each one of our visitor.

We hope to have the chance of being your selection once again for your future vacations.

Customer Care

Been to Viva Wyndham Dominicus Palace? Share your experiences!