“Great Beach Snorkeling - Get ready for Euro swimsuits...” 4 of 5 stars

3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Bayahibe, Dominican Republic   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #9 of 12 Hotels in Bayahibe
New York City, New York
“Great Beach Snorkeling - Get ready for Euro swimsuits...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

Who here is from Italy? Crowd: big applause
Who here is from America? Crowd: 7 people clapping...

Yes, this place is not overrun with Americans, or English-as-a-first-language people in general, and there are plenty of men wearing euro-style swimsuits. Inline with places in Europe, don't expect the most comfortable beds or sheets that are basically standard at every Holiday Inn (or better) in the United States.

However, it is a great place, and in my opinion, and great value, and on the best part of the DR. Also, it is very lively 24-hrs. The Italians (young and old) drink, talk, and dance till the wee-hours in the bar in front of the theatre.

The beach had excellent beach snorkeling, and easy access to the national parks of the area. The water is crystal clear, not like the blue murkiness of Punta Cana. Thus, Bayahibe area is much better for beach snorkeling.

I would recommend to stay at the Palace to experience all this resort has to offer...

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
VivaDominicusPalace, Guest Relations Manager at Viva Wyndham Dominicus Palace, responded to this review, September 20, 2013
Dear Guest

Thanks for bringing to our attention your positive comments regarding your recently stay in our facilities, we are glad to read your comments and know that you spent a great vacation with our service.

We hope to be your selection in the near future to spend a second vacation into the Caribbean.

Customer Care

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
Delaware
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

Okay, let's call a spade a spade. When you've stumbled onto an all inclusive package with a direct flight from JFK for five nights, and you're paying $700 you better trust your instincts.....or at the very least adjust your expectations. I had made the aforementioned expectation adjustment, and yet I was still shocked. Call it wide eyed optimism, call it naivete, call it whatever you want, but a dollar is a dollar, and one thing is for sure, if you are an American, your dollar is worth less here. What I mean by that, is that this resort hates Americans. Before I get ahead of myself and fall into a downward, ranting spiral of race relations let me back up and start from the beginning:

Check In: When we arrived at the hotel, we were of course early, and of course they would not let us check in early. They told us to just leave our bags and come back in like 4 hours. I looked at the front desk people like they were crazy, they didn't tell us that someone would put them in a back room, or someone would be watching them, or even give us a ticket to hold to match up to when we came back to claim the bags. They literally just had us leave our suitcases in the middle of the lobby floor for anyone to steal. I knew immediately that this was not going to be like my usual trips. For some background, I have been to DR 3 times..Jamaica, Playa, Costa Rica, and Aruba, so I know what to expect usually. I also had read all of the reviews on here to prep myself, so I truly did understand that the hotel was 3.5 stars, and that it was owned by Italians, and might be more on the European, less luxurious side. That being said, you can still be nice to your customers, that doesn't cost extra. I tried to explain that I wasn't comfortable leaving my bag, but they just ignored us and went about their day. Yes, there are people there who wear those buttons proclaiming "I speak English" but it didn't matter, they were all rude to us, English speaking and non-English speaking. Oh, and I speak a little Spanish, as well as my travelling partner, so we weren't totally ill-equipped.

Rooms: Finally, after the four hour moratorium on room check-in had elapsed, we went back to check in, and hopefully find our luggage. They were there, and we were feeling a little bit better....until we got to our room. There are no elevators here to get to your rooms, so you have to lug your bags up and down the stairs, which is a little awkward, and highly annoying. Okay, so we get into the room. We had a room that was as far away from the beach as you could get. In fact, we were right at the front parking lot of the resort....lovely. The room, the room, oh the room. The ceiling in our room happened to be like 27 feet tall but the ceiling in the bathroom was so short that when I put a towel on my head my arms hit the ceiling. The bathroom was super old and run down, and the toilet seat had a slight spring to the seat, where you weren't sure if at any given moment it might fly off the hinges. The rooms are sparse, and I am being generous when I say that. For example, there is no clock in the room...anywhere. This isn't Las Vegas, we are paying for all inclusive, you can give us a damn alarm clock. There is only one trash can, and it's in the bathroom, very inconvenient for two girls. The beds are ridiculous. One night as we were laying down I turned to my friend and said, 'hey, did you know that these beds are on SLABS of concrete?' Alas, the beds are actually just on slabs of concrete built into the floor. You only get like one and a half pillows, and if you think you're getting a blanket, even a thin one, think again. They supply one sheet on the bed, and I'm pretty sure it was a 5 count thread. We had to call down (twice) to get blankets, and when they FINALLY arrived they were covered in strange stains that were highly suspicious. They only allot two towels to the room, so we called for more towels, and received them promptly 17 hours later. And finally, to top it all off in the room was the television remote. Now, when I'm on vacation, at night when I'm sleepy from all the sun, swimming, etc...I like to relax and watch my TV. However, even this, the resort doesn't make easy for you. The TV remote is TETHERED to the wall. No, you didn't read that wrong, it is truly tethered to the wall, and tethered by the wrong end, so when you try to turn it the right way to point and click, you have to twist it, and hold it steady in place, and if for a moment you let your guard down, and forget that, oh yeah, I'm holding a tethered remote control, it will snap out of your hand and fly back against the wall. This was the first time I felt like I had an idea of what jail might be like.....everything nailed down from TV remote, to bed box springs.

Beach/Pool: The beach is actually really gorgeous and the grounds are huge so you can walk forever, and there is so much beach space to spread out. The pools are super crowded and small, and do not have swim up bars. In fact, not only do they not have swim up bars, but I got in trouble for bringing a plastic cup in the pool, and was chastised about not being able to drink in the pool. Oh, right, I forgot that this was jail, and not an all inclusive resort....silly me.

Food: Food was terrible, there is no way else to put it. They would only let us book 2 restaurants, and two of them were closed, so that left us with three choices. We only ended up going to one, and it was bad. The food was small, and dry. The buffet was not great either. Let me just say this one thing, and I'll move on, because I griped about it for days. WHERE IS THE BACON??? When we go on vacations, we want to eat the things we don't normally eat everyday, we want to be gluttonous, and over-indulgent. It was kind of like that TV show, 'Where in the world is Carmen San Diego', but replace that with bacon. Well, it is hidden next to the omelette station, but you have to specifically ask the omelette guy for some of it, and its super fatty, and actually, I'm pretty sure it wasn't bacon, but some other cut of pork. The food was just not good, I ate french fries everyday and pickles. That sustained me until I got home. The staff who waits on you in the buffet are completely inattentive, and if you ask for a really, really complicate order (insert sarcasm here) such as seltzer water with ice, beware what you will get back. And drink it slowly, because they may never come back to refill. On the last night we were there the waiter got that order right, and he also refilled our glasses when he saw we were like halfway through. I was so overcome with appreciation, I could have wept right there. I gave him all the money I had on me at the time which was only like 10 bucks, but he was shocked that I tipped him like that. He was the only staff member who was attentive or nice. That was the night that I wanted to just grab some food at the buffet and take it back to the room because I was not feeling well at all. We called the front desk to see if we would be able to do this (remember, this is an all inclusive and I have already paid for the food, and the front desk said no. We asked several more times and told him I wasn't feeling well, and he said, and I quote: "Only in an extreme emergency can we allow you to do that".) Oh right, this is jail, I keep forgetting that.

Miscellaneous: Beware, they charge you 2 dollars a day for the safe....yup 2 bucks. So of course, ours broke on day two or three, and we had to call to get it fixed. One thing to note that everyone should know is that Dominican time is way different than American time. 10 minutes Dominican is 30-45 American. Don't say I didn't warn you. So three phone calls, and three '10 minutes' later, it was an hour and half we were waiting for security. They could not fix the safe. The guy had this little gadget that he kept trying to stick in the safe, and it wasn't working, and after over an hour, I believe it was closer to two hours my friend finally looked at the machine, and the error message was in English, and the guy couldn't read English. So my friend had to figure out what was wrong with the calibration, and help fix the safe. Seriously? At this point, I hope I have sufficiently scared anyone else from ever staying here, because everything I have stated is true. So when we went to check out, they tried to charge us the 2 dollars for that day of the safe. My friends dug in, and geared up for the argument. They said we still had to pay, we refused, they insisted, we continued to refuse, and it was like watching High Noon, or an old western. I know it's only 2 bucks, but it was the principal of the matter. They finally had to get a supervisors approval, and begrudgingly agreed to take off the two dollars.

So in summary, wait, does this review really need a summary? Nope. Go elsewhere, anywhere, Rwanda, Sierra Leone, Siberia, North Korea, anywhere but here. I guess at the end of the day these are first world problems, but I stick by my story, and you were all warned. The rest is up to you.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Bountiful, Utah
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

I will never stay in their places again! We got sick. They ran out of water, in a country you can't drink the water!! We could not get enough water, when they had it. We had ants in the room that bit us at night. No tissues in the bathroom. Run don't stop here. We were there when most people got sick and they said it was the flu. Really? Their excuse. They took our time and lied to us what they were doing. We stayed 7/29/2013-8/6-2013. Can't tell you how bad it was!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
VivaDominicusPalace, Guest Relations Manager at Viva Wyndham Dominicus Palace, responded to this review, August 30, 2013
Dear Guest,

We have received and reviewed your comments, which are of great importance for us. We inform you that according to the public health standards and quality , our facilities meet all the requirements .
We confirm that all gastroenteritis cases reported in the hotel at the end of July are viral and once all the measures were taken, we have returned to total normality.

Thank you for taking the time to share with us your point of view.

Manassas, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

Having stayed at multiple all-inclusives we have come to know what to expect. This resort was on-par with the rest and nothing special but definitely nothing to be turned away from. Located in La Romana, we flew into Santo Domingo and took the two hour ride to the resort (fun trip!). The Palace does not have a grand of entrance as the beach resort, but it was accommodating. Staff was efficient and although I speak spanish, the rest of the family does not and we had no problems with communication, staff was always on hand that spoke a variety of languages. We were in 37 building which was a great location from beach to pool and food! The food was very average, edible but nothing too special. We ate at the italian which was ok as was the viva cafe... the only real disappointment from food was the snack bar in which Juan never had enough food out and the pizza was dry. The room was standard for Dominican with colors and art... flat TV and glass shower were a plus. Drinks were in our fridge in our room and a short walk to the bar could help if you needed any more. Every night, we went to the beach resort for the show.... much more entertaining than the place show and had english! The actual beach was clean and had plenty of chairs! Palm trees added to the atmosphere! There was a great snorkeling reef right off our beach and we were able to see tons of fish (pretty cool!). Shopping was in the resort and at fair prices.... we also ventured off campus to shop the local stores which virtually had the same items usually at higher prices! Overall great resort and we would probably return!

Room Tip: closer to beach... we liked building 37 because it was very central but not too close to the pool an...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
VivaDominicusPalace, Guest Relations Manager at Viva Wyndham Dominicus Palace, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you very much for apprise us with your comments regarding your recent stay in our property, we are more than glad to read all of your positive comments and also glad to know that we are reaching our goal which is the total satisfaction of each one of our visitor.

We hope to have the chance of being your selection once again for your future vacations.

Atlanta, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

Family of 3 went on a last minute 6 day vacation.

Our room (completely bare bones!!) was next to the restaurant with very loud exhaust fan and not great odors...they begrudgingly changed our room. On first glance it was in a better location and a bit better appointed. Learned that evening that the sewage smells outside the room were horrid - gagging in fact.

From what we could tell we were one of only three families from the States. Many Europeans, South Americans. It was tough not speaking Spanish.

Day four son became very ill - high fever, extreme diarrhea. Early morning of day five husband extremely ill (found him on the bathroom floor moaning and sweating in pain) fever, extreme abdominal pain, extreme diarrhea, nausea. Went to the doctor where we found others in the same condition. It was recommended that we go to the hospital to seek care. We choose not to and husband was treated w/medications that did relieve the symptoms temporarily - dramamine helped the nausea and basically knocked him out. We were determined to leave that next day - we had to get off that property - by medical plane if necessary. As we left the property the next day, three young women were being loaded into an ambulance. Not kidding - people were sick! Spoke to others (Canadians, Germans) who described the same illness in the days previous. We were told by a staff member that when he arrived (from another island, same day we arrived) that 1/2 of the staff was sick. Could have been the food, water...who knows.

If the story is not enough to deter you, please consider these additional observations:

Staff NOT friendly
Food not good
Towels - roughest I've ever handled
Entertainment - seen much better at high school performances
Drinks - served in small (!!) bathroom sized plastic dixie cups
Bugs - never seen so many bees in one location

Room Tip: Please choose a different resort and the Dominicus is the exact same property as the Palace - walk f...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
VivaDominicusPalace, Guest Relations Manager at Viva Wyndham Dominicus Palace, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share with us your point of view.

Wichita, Kansas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

We are very seasoned travelers and have been to many Islands and resorts across the Caribbean.
Here are some of our comments regarding Wyndham Dominicus Palace and Beach from last May 2013.
Arrival on American Airlines in La Romana. Once we got to baggage claim our luggage was already on a bellman cart. I suspect that they hold passengers so this can be staged and you are immediately tipping. It’s not a problem and they need it but we feel better when we can do it in a sincere manner rather than a forced manner and overall this gives an unwelcome feeling. But again we understand they have to make a living. Don’t forget that there is a Dominican Republic Tourist tax that is paid per person upon arrival when clearing customs. It’s handy to have cash available for this.
Arrival at resort the transfer driver will stage so bellman gets the luggage out of the Van so be ready to tip at airport, transfer driver and bellman. These guys all work together and have each other’s back. We were then greeted by a hostess who would be our point of contact for the week. We asked about making dinner reservations at restaurants and she said we would do that tomorrow. After checking in (and paying for a safety deposit) box she was to escort us to our room, half way there she pointed us in a general direction and we never saw her again. So much for the hostess the rest of the week! If nothing else she could have simply checked on us on day one to make sure we were happy campers. We walked the long way to our room and those dinner reservations we handled on our own. Bellman brought our luggage and we advised him that our room patio door did not lock. He said he would report right away. We ran into him a couple of hours later and reminded him and he seemed surprised no one came to fix yet. Told the front desk also 1x and it never got fixed the entire week. We used the safety deposit box for money and passports and jewelry (don’t bring). We used padlocks on a suitcase for laptops and a few other items. We had never felt this unsafe about our belongings in any past resort.
TV remote is chained down which was odd. Maid service was ok but I don’t feel the room or sheets were very clean. We tipped a couple of bucks each day and left notes for cokes and water but it was hit and miss. Asked repeatedly for towels for (4) guests but no matter what we never got more than for (3) of us. We had clean sheets at least one day but I had to get them changed because it looked like there was snot all over them. Seriously? I can’t make this up. I found a room service supervisor and showed her and all I got was a “we will change them” no apology or expression of concern. This is what gives me concern about the overall care towards cleanliness of everything.
Facilities and grounds are nice and well kept. If only the maid service were as meticulous as the groundkeepers.
Main buffet is a “busses welcome” type buffet. After a couple of times we were done and eating there daily got very old and boring and there is no view (the same is available with a view at the Beach Resort).
We did make sit down restaurant reservations several nights but they limit how many reservations you can make as well as the number of guests they allow in each sit down restaurant each night. The restaurants are nice but they only fill a few tables and say they are full. They are NOT full but just don’t staff right and/or are doing something to control staff/food costs. The Italian restaurant was the worst food we have ever eaten anywhere or anytime and we are not picky and are world travelers without any trouble. They also give you specific times to come but as with few reservations as they make it should not matter. It’s not a guest friendly process and really an unwelcome inconvenience on our tropical vacation.
Sit down restaurants state that there is a dress code, it even says that on the reservation slip. It’s not enforced and every night I was the idiot dressed up while other men would wear t-shirts or tanks, shorts and flip flops. Either have a dress code or do not!
There is a grill poolside (open during the day only) which is nice but not the cleanest as some of it is self-service. Lot’s of hands going into the condiments, cake and French fries. It would be great if they changed up the menu a little too.
The entertainment staff was a lot nicer to the many South Americans and Europeans than North Americans at the resort. All their announcements were in Spanish or Portugese with a few English words thrown in. We did not mind at all but with a large group of English speaking guests figure out how to include them. It is as if they did not like us and avoided us. They did not speak very much English but they knew it just refused to speak it. At the nearby La Romana airport I only saw Delta, American Airlines and Spirit so I think this staff needs a reality check on who is there and who is among their guests. My kids ages 8 and 13 they were disappointed as they are usually very connected with the entertainment staffs at other resorts and we have gone back to resorts because of the entertainment staff – that will not be the case here. I also caught the entertainment staff mocking a lady from Canada that was brought it to lead a couple of daily Pool Aerobics classes the week were there. That was very unprofessional.
The Sports Staff and Entertainment Staff and other guests did not like that my 13-year old son wanted to play beach volleyball as they become very competitive and it’s mostly male adults. They seemed very frustrated with many of his plays and expressed that openly. He did not let it bother him and he made some good plays too. They did not make him feel included and often would take his opportunities to make a play away from him. At poolside Bingo the kids were told several times that no more Bingo cards were available while other guests had several cards. When asking for a volleyball we were times told several times that it was “locked up”. Then get the key and unlock it – guests want to play volleyball on their schedule not your resort schedule!! Why is it locked up at all????
Overall this resort is average, the grounds are nice, the beach is good (but no bar service), the pool is okay but gets loud at times, the drinks are fair and small, the staff is ok – nothing special. It is our experience that all staff is much nicer and outgoing and up for a conversation at all other resorts we have been to in the past and there are many from Sandals/Beaches to some equal to Wyndham. The DR is prettier than some other islands but we find the people on other islands nicer. DR is big so maybe this was limited to this area or even this resort. This was our 1st trip to the DR so we don’t know. At bars sometimes we would wait forever while other guests would walk up and be served right away – perhaps it’s cultural. They are very task oriented. The task is to provide me with a drink the purpose I would think is to take care of a guest make sure they are having a great time and express interest in them and get to know them. Had they done that I would have tipped a lot more. Perhaps they want the tip and then will do that but that is not how it works. Tips are for a job well done not a pay me so I will be nice to you.
The shows all at the Beach Resort were entertaining and some were too long but our high schools put on better shows. And, the Wyndham does nothing to promote any DR culture in any of their daily programs. Instead of a show how about a big narrated slide show that shows off all that the DR has to offer. How about some DR music or bring in local artists – a resort organized walking tour of the area around the resort. There are Ping Pong tables but rarely used. Supposedly you need to rent the paddles/balls during the day or it requires a ridiculous deposit. If you go here bring your own paddls/balls if you want to play Ping Pong.
We had a nice time because we love a nice beach and ocean. Waves never rough but good enough to have fun in. Lot’s of fish was great, we brought string, hooks/weights and small sticks to fish with and had a lot of fun (no fishing from the dock) but the snorkeling is not that great on the beach. Catch and release. A small towel is nice as some of the fish have very sharp bones in their fins and have teeth. They are super slimy and you need a way to hold on to them. Next time I will bring small piers too . We used unfinished hot dogs from the grill that we did not eat as bait. There is a public beach next door. As soon as you approach they will begin small talk with you and then direct you to buying a tour, renting a jet ski or purchase stuff from them in their souvenir shop. We know how it’s done so we play the game. One guy was stacking up stuff as we were looking and he was going to give use one “nice” price a package deal. It was going to be $85 for what we would pay no more than $20 for. I offered him $30 and that I would go get the money from my room he said no. I came back with $8 and only took a small purse worth $2 from him for my daughter.
The best thing you can do while here is to book at least one full day excursion with Seavis Tours. Book it directly with Seavis before you go. You can walk from the resort 3 minutes to their office just outside the Wyndham. We did the tour that included Saona Island and it was fantastic. Do a tour early in your stay because chances are you will want to do a 2nd trip with them and they do not offer all trips every day. And, if you go on the Saona Island tour do yourself a favor and upgrade your lunch to lobster!! You will be glad you did and it’s a bargain at the extra $10. Bring a few extra bucks for souvenirs and tips. Look them up on their website, facebook and TripAdvisor. Tell them Rogier and Jennifer the Dutch guy from Wichita, Kansas in the US sent you!
There is only free wireless in the main lobby and it is super slow and unstable. We heard from guests state that the paid is not much better. Oh, and that lobby has nothing to do with a palace!
We also highly recommend that you become familiar with where the First Aid office is when you arrive. Go see it and know where it is. If you need it in an emergency that is not the time to figure it out! It is hidden and difficult to find and not well marked and not indicated on the directional signs around the resort. We needed help and when we asked for directions no one seemed to speak English. Even in the nurses office once we found it English was not well spoken.

There are a lot of little things this resort can do to make it a much better guest experience including a printed 1-page bulletin each day with things happening around the resort, the weather, drink specials, feature a staff member, etc….
We have travelled all over and often to the Caribbean and Mexico. We never have problems but all four of us had stomach aches and related bathroom issues. Bring your medicine so that you can address this problem. We befriended one other couple and they had the same problem. We never drank the tap water and even used bottled water to brush our teeth.
Everyone’s experience will differ based on other experiences that they have had traveling and otherwise. You will not make mistake by going to this resort however, no matter how good the promotion or if kids stay and eat free - if you can afford to spend a little more do it even if it means a better resort for a shorter stay. We will not recommend this resort but will not advise against it either.
Wherever you go – safe travels!

Room Tip: Recommend you get a room in quiet area facing the beach. There can be lots of people noise so reque...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Jacksonville, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

As you all know, my wife and I are Wyndham, Worldmark owners, so this resort came to us literally as a STEAL!! $245 per room for the week, ocean front, "VIP Status" included since we were owners, all inclusive fee was $450 per person, so we invited my sister in law and her husband to have their own room right next door to our suite (same prices for them).

first impression: Dominican Republic is a third world country. now, we've traveled to other 3rd world countries before including parts of Mexico, the Phillippines, etc., so we're not as culture shocked as some other Americans who have not encountered that type of environment. that being said, this resort is tucked completely away from the 3rd worldness of DR. unless you leave the resort, you couldn't even tell what the economic climate is in the rest of the country. that being said, it is very EASY to forget the physical environment you are in and feel too comfortable especially with the WATER.

TIP ALERT: almost all of us on the trip did get sick because of different environmental factors including the water at the resort that is NOT filtered out of the sinks. meaning...brush your teeth with bottled water, only drink agua purificado (purified water), be careful of any food prepared with non filtered water; eg, lettuce washed in the sink, etc. also, please notice, as this is an all inclusive resort with unlimited alcoholic drinks, these cups are washed under the sink and if not completely dried, there are water elements from the tap that are being mixed into your 'mixed drink'. the one person in our group who did NOT drink too much alcohol did not get sick at all on our trip. depending on your type of vacation, this is a good or a bad thing (not drinking too much alcohol).

now, if you wind up doing an excursion away from the resort which i really do recommend highly, i would definitely recommend, not only booking the excursion on site with Mr Angel (awesome individual), but i also recommend bringing your own bottled water, and be EXTRA aware of where the food is prepared, if you wind up eating outside the resort. my wife had a mango that was washed and cut with "native water" and she was literally sick that night and was put out of commission all of the next day. other people from the resort on that excursion who ate of the same mango were put out of commission also and were sent to the hospital.

barring any encounter with the local water, the food at the resort buffets were 'acceptable'. after reading other people's reviews regarding the food provided, i can see why other guests can have a bad impression, but i think a lot has to do with the environment once again. you're basically being served a twist on the local food available in that country or area. naturally, it's going to be very 'ethnic'. we're not very picky when it comes to food, and are always willing to try new stuff, so it was very fine for us. some of it was definitely questionable, but we simply stayed away from it. one more thing regarding the buffets (FOR THE HOTEL MANAGEMENT), we realize that this is a tropical environment and that the weather is always perfect; HOWEVER, we really recommend an eating environment that is air conditioned and better shielded from the environment. here are two cases:

1. in the large buffet on the Dominicus Beach side (theater and shops side), we noticed that birds were able to enter into the buffet area and freely peck and eat from the fruit section and possibly other areas we didn't observe first hand. this is not healthy.
2. many of the food that are set out in that warm environment does have a potential of going bad simply because of the exposure to the very warm climate, and since the buffet areas are not air conditioned or controlled, there is more of a potential for much of that raw seafood (ceviche), mayonnaise based food, cheeses, etc. to go bad and make people sick.

TIP ALERT: if you are a Wyndham owner, and you are a VIP guest (because of your Wyndham ownership), then definitely book your dinners at each one of the resorts exclusive restaurants with the ownership reps. For the Beach side, you will book with Victor, if you're on the Palace side, you can book with Rafael. you will GET the VIP treatment and advice and discounts that we owners are so very used to. you MUST book dinner reservations at any one of the restaurants for dinner or else you will not be able to get in. each restaurant is free except for Atlantis which is (higher end) $20 per person or $35 with lobster per person. there are many to chose from that have different "themes": Mexican, Italian, Asian, on the water at the beach, American, etc. all are very good, and again, all part of the all inclusive unless you are NOT a VIP/member. there are some of these restaurants that are $10 per person if you are not a VIP visitor. i will say that dinner at the restaurants are a very welcoming and refreshing environment in comparison to the buffets.

TIP ALERT: since this is all inclusive, if you feel like you want to order every single thing on the menu, please feel free to do so at no extra cost!

now onto the room and amenities. once again, keep in mind that this is a third world country, and most of the guests who stay here are living more grandiose in their hotel room than any of the workers hope and aspire to live in. that being said, the view from the Palace ocean view is spectacular. the room itself is average by resort standards, but it is fine enough. the bed and pillows are not the most comfortable, but like i said, it's fine enough.

the amenities are outstanding, however. all of the non motorized sports like kayaking, paddle boarding, catamaran sailing, wind surfing, snorkeling, on the property are all FREE!! unlimited use!! there was always something going on since it was an all inclusive resort with entertainment, dancing, and everything you would expect in a remote resort. the staff really does go out of their way to make sure you're either entertained, or are relaxing to the MOST capacity possible. also, we didnt bring our kids on this trip, but there is a kids club as well where you drop your kids off and the staff hangs and does various activities with them.

overall, this was one of our best vacations yet! always something to do, even if it is just lounging in the sun. the views are THE MOST SPECTACULAR views of any place we've seen on earth (and we've been everywhere from Cabo, to Cancun, to Hawaii, to Southern Cali, Miami, etc.) - see the pictures i added. we definitely want to return to this resort, but this time with our pre teen and teen kids since there is so many activities for them. the only negative i can really say is just the fact that you have to be careful with the water that made us sick. other than that, if you're careful and diligent, you are guaranteed a wonderful time!

TIP ALERT: to make the best vacation ever and get the best service, TIP TIP TIP, even if it's just a dollar at the bar, or 2 dollars for your server, or 5 dollars at the water activities or restaurants. somehow the staff does intermingle and they recognize you as a tipper. they will ultimately GO OUT OF THEIR WAY to make sure you're taken cared of; this is a philosophy we take everywhere we go. lastly, please keep in mind that this is a Spanish speaking country. although some of the staff does speak English, the fact that i am fluent in Spanish makes the trip WAAAY more enjoyable when you're able to communicate what you need, and be able to socialize on a PERSONAL level with the people around you. otherwise, if the staff members are insecure about their English, it may come off as being rude as i've read in some of the reviews here; when in reality, maybe the staff you're talking to literally and simply just doesn't understand what you're asking for.

that being said, i hope my review helps...

Room Tip: ask for an ocean view. (tipping guarantees you)
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Customer Care

Been to Viva Wyndham Dominicus Palace? Share your experiences!