“Amazing animation staff” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Catalonia Gran Dominicus

You added Catalonia Gran Dominicus to your Saves list
Catalonia Gran Dominicus
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Bayahibe Playa, Bayahibe, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Bayahibe
Certificate of Excellence 2014
New York City, New York
“Amazing animation staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2014

Well I can say that we knew certain people that make us enjoy our stay at the resort specially from the animation staff: YAMALIS and the other staff Beba, Yuli, Joan, Jay Jay, Wally, Ambioris, and from the bar: in the morning shift
Jenny she is amazing, Yhorlennys, Niurka, Dorka, Sophys, Maira from the
buffet at Taino. We enjoyed our stay in there we have fun, the beach the view from the Macoris rooms is nice.

• Stayed August 2014
grandominicus, Resident Manager at Catalonia Gran Dominicus, responded to this review, August 17, 2014
Dear Juan,

We cannot make any kind of objection to your wonderful and kind review. And we do not find the appropriate words to express our gratitude for it. Thank you especially for those words referred to our entertainment and restaurant-bar Staff. We hope to see you soon in your in Catalonia Gran Dominicus. Best regards from Dominican Republic.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2014

First of all I would like to give a big thank you to Catalonia Resorts true star Yamalis. She is the definition of a true hard worker with a great personality. She is very humble and made sure the majority of the guest staying at the resort were very entertained and made most of the night enjoyable. She deserves all the best.

The other amazing staff listed from the animation team, bar service, and buffet: Beba, Joan, Ambioris, Wally, Jay Jay, Jenny, Yhorlennys, Niurka, Dorka, Sophy, Maira; were all very friendly and remembered our names and we shared short sweet converstions that enlightened our day.

Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
South Dakota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed at this resort July 31-Aug 10. I looked at several resorts before deciding on this one, and believe I got the best value for my money. That being said, I have been to other locations in the Carribbean, and was not as impressed with the Dominican Republic as a whole.

The Transfer: From Punta Cana is an hour or little over. Used Island Sun transfer and they were on time and very professional.

The reception desk: Easy check in and had no problems. English is our primary language.
I do speak some Spanish, and used it more on this vacation than any other.

The room: We got a nice cool, clean room with a king bed. However, we did request room change from ground to second floor. We were right beside an alley way that was constantly being traveled by workers, guests and whoever else. the room change wasnt as nice as the first. there was an octagon-shaped window to the outside hall that did not lock. i was drying my hands on a towel under the window when it just fell open one night. The wood from the frame around the glass fell on my back and dug so deep it left pieces of wood in my skin. My boyfriend had to pull them out and clean my cuts with alcohol. Not pleasant. And it would have been alot worse had it fell on my head. there were also little bugs crawling all over the TV table. they were ant-like. The bedding however, was clean and fresh. Housekeeping did a good job with towels and bedding and water in fridge.

Food: Average. I could usually find something whether in the main buffet or pizzaria. The workers in the dining hall did a good job and are always running their tails off. Hello to Ramon and Darlene. :) The food is not seasoned very much. We had stomach issues one day, and my best guess is that it was from the fruit--maybe being rinsed with tap water??

Beach: Beach was fun for swimming and body surfing. We were there when the tropical storm passed by Puerto Rico, and we had great waves to play in for a couple days that were big enough to be fun, not so big to be dangerous. Always plenty of chairs, and I have the best tan i have had in 3 or 4 years. Beach is not good for jogging. Too sloped.

My main complaint about this resort is that there are NO ocean view rooms. The layout, in my opinion is completely wrong. The common areas (restaurants, disco. shops, auditorium) are all in the front. these places are vacant during the day, and they have the ocean front spots. It is a waste. At night when they are open, it is too dark to even see the ocean, so really, no one gets to enjoy the great view of the ocean unless they are physically laying on the beach. I will not stay here again based on that fact alone. The gardens are beautiful, but I can't hear the ocean at night when i go to bed. Wasteful.

Drinks: Icy rum drinks. Bring a mug and you will be set. very good.

Outside vendors: I like the outside vendors coming on certain nights. I like to shop and appreciate the fact that they come to me. They have nice things and i only found one who would not negotiate a realistic price. He wanted $40 for a beach towel. HaHa. I had to let him keep it. The huts down the beach are also good for shopping and we got some nice gifts to bring home.

Excursions: We went ziplining near Higuey. Booked with Cheap Carribbean because our Island Sun rep never did show up at the resort. The ziplining was one of the best experiences I have had on an excursion. It is a little over an hour drive in open air bus. you see the country and the tour guide is very knowledgable and has a great personality. I saw some people show up in flip flops. you will be flying through the air and climbing to get to the next line. Need i say more.

We chose this Dominican Republic because my boyfriend was returning "home". He was adopted as a child and brought to the US. This was his first trip back since then. I want to say that our experience with the people working at this resort was touching. We have some beautiful pictures taken by the photography staff, and i want to thank them for letting us have so much fun. I felt security was quite good here and they work hard to make sure you have a "safe" experience. Spa was good. We had massage on the beach. my only complaint is that is not private enough to avoid noise from activities staff on the beach and people in the huts jabbering on their cell phone while you are trying to relax. Maybe a "Quiet Please" sign on the massage hut would help with that.

Restaurants: Italian--dont waste your time. Rodeo steakhouse, dont mention the word "rare" and you will be fine, (unless you like your steak cool and bloody). I asked for medium, and mine was cooked perfectly. Mexican was the best, they just dont give a large enough portion.

Because of our personal circumstance, im sure we will be back in the area again someday, but i would probably try another resort then. I got what i was looking for mostly. Clean, Safe, great beach to play in and not too crowded. But i will go somewhere else next time where I can open my eyes in the morning and see the ocean and have entertainment that is more geared towards adults. Thank you to all those who work so hard to make the resort a nice place to be. Maybe someday when they re-configure the grounds, they can give me a call for suggestions. :)

P.S. Drop the privilege status. People are coming a long way to stay there, you should treat them ALL well to that extent.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Zena,

Thank you very much for your nice and extremely long and detailed review about all the hotel services (food, rooms, drinks, tematic restaurants…) . We are very happy to know that you enjoyed our resort that much. Thank you very much again for your time and kindness.
Best regards from Paradise!
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2014

Our family took a trip to Dominican from August 1 to August 10th and we absolutely loved it! When we first got into the hotel, the reception desk was extremely welcoming and quickly got us settled into our rooms. We ended up dropping everything off and went to the beach right away. The beach, I have to tell you, is the best that I've ever seen. We've traveled a lot to various hotels in many different countries but the beach beats all the others. It was clean, spacious, and sandy. What shocked all of us was that the entrance into the water was not rocky; everything was sand! We ended up walking down the actual because to see the other hotels and even the 5 star hotel next door didn't have nearly as nice of a beach as ours! We also loved the staff, specifically concierge Kristina. I couldn't believe how welcoming, enthusiastic, and helpful she was. Everything we asked for, she made possible within seconds! We've received some good service in the past, but she was above and beyond any of those. When you go to this hotel, drop by her office, even if it is to just say hi. She'll make your vacation even better than you though possible and you'll definitely want to be back again and again.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Dallas, Texas, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2014

I'm a pretty forgiving traveler. But I have to say, My wife's and my visit to this property was an absolute disaster. The worst vacation experience ever. After traveling for 8 hours, we arrived at the property where we stood in line for nearly an hour to check in. When we finally go to the front, we were told they were overbooked and didn't have a room for us. So they sent us to the property next door, which was nothing -- absolutely nothing -- like what we had paid for. The vacation was a disaster. After we returned, our travel agency got us a voucher for another stay. I have since reached out to the property several times to ask some questions about the voucher and they have completely ignored me. No response whatsoever. I will never visit this resort again and I will advise anyone going to DR to stay away.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Miami, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2014

We first arrived to Catalonia and were offered an upgrade from our Privilege Room purchased to a Honeymoon Suite. For what I was able to capture the only difference on the honeymoon rooms is that they included a Jacuzzi tub instead of just the shower but that made the shower smaller. I would suggest you stick to your privilege room unless the Jacuzzi is a most for you. The pool is nice especially if traveling with kids since it has a beach like entrance and different areas with different deeps for everyone. The resort was at full capacity for what we were told, but still didn't feel crowded. Most of the tourists were Italians and French Speaker. The resort was quiet and very pleasant. The beach area is very nice, clear water and white sands. The buffet food was good with tons of choices, the quality may not be top notch, but then again you are a 3 start hotel. We upgraded to privilege from home and we didn't regret it. We had the option of also eating (all daily meals) at the Terrace which is a restaurant overlooking the beach (Beautiful view) and was only available to privilege. Also available to privilege was an area of the beach with cabanas and the beach seemed to have less people on that side. Me and my fiancé traveled together and would visit again any date. The resort was mainly filled with families and couples and was very quiet and pleasant. The service at all of the restaurants and front desk was excellent. Everyone was very friendly and eager to help. The kids club seemed to be nice as well. We meet an Spanish couple with two kids that were very happy about the kids club. The entertainment was moderate, nice for families and maybe a couple just looking to have a drink and dance a bit before ending their night. Not the place to go if you are looking for a wild part. As for a room close to the pool and beach and you will be close to the restaurants and recreational activities all day. Otherwise you will be spending a lot of time walking between your room and the pool/beach area. Overall a very nice and pleasant stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a room close to the pool/beach area, otherwise you will be spending a look of time walking...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,

Thank you very much indeed for your kind review. I hope it will help our potential guests to make sure that they are doing the right decision in the moment of making a reservation in our hotel. That is why we feel very grateful with you.
We look forward to seeing you son in the Caribbean.
Best regards from Catalonia Gran Dominicus.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2014 via mobile

Pros: Beach location, nice servers
Cons: Food, customer service at the front desk, pushy concierge people

We had paid for upgraded rooms and honestly there was nothing special about our rooms (waste of $). Concierge people were so pushy that they even "LIED" to us saying that we had to go to this MANDATORY class. Disappointed in the costume service. No one should ever lie to sell anything. Our flight was suppose to leave a bit later, and we called to see if we could check out atleast an hour later, even asked for 15 minutes and their answer was "IMPOSSIBLE."

• Stayed August 2014

Been to Catalonia Gran Dominicus? Share your experiences!