“Excellent resort, beach is average” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus

Save Saved
You added Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus to your Saves list
Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playa Bayahibe, Bayahibe, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #1 of 12 hotels in Bayahibe
Buenos Aires, Argentina
“Excellent resort, beach is average”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

This all inclusive is very good. Service and food are excellent. My complain is that it is ridiculous that they charge US$ 2 per day for the safe, one can eat and drink 24 hs a day and the safe is not included!!. Going to the beach to an all inclusive means carring very little money, and most people do not need a safe except for their passports, so I think that increasing the rate by US$ 0,20 and giving it free the hotel would make more money. Also there is free wifi only at the lobby, but this may be an advantage to unwind during the day.
The beach is good but not great. I thought that the place would not be so crowded, get up early to occupy a place with shade otherwise they all become unavailable. There are other resorts at both sides so is not very nice for a long walk on the beach. The sea is very good for swiming, or any water sport. Snorkeling is so so, not natural corals, some cement spheres were put at sea to attract small fishes so there is something to see, but not much. Diving is very good, similar to other places in the caribean, the staff at the hotel diving centre is very professional. We dived at Reef park and is 5 minutes boat ride from the hotel deck.
Hotel is great but I ve been at nicer beaches at the caribean

Room Tip: If you stay at # 1 you will hear the Theatre noise (or music) until 10:30 pm Besided this is the sa...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
IberostarHotelsRD, Quality Manager Iberostar República Dominicana at Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus, responded to this review, January 9, 2014
Dear guest,
We would like to thank you for having chosen Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus for your holiday, and for having taken the time to post a review about your experience among us.
In the name of the Hotel Manager, Mr. Amando Pozo, we want to express you how glad we are to read that your positive lines referring the beauty of our hotel, the friendliness of our staff, and the variety of our international cuisine. In Iberostar we aim to provide the best service to our friendly staff.
We are looking forward to welcome you back. Please do not hesitate to contact us before your arrival.

3,646 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (268)
  • Polish first
Newmarket, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

I booked this trip on a Tuesday in November and left on the Thursday so got a pretty good deal. We were told by my travel agent that the ride from Airport to Resort is about 2 hrs. To our surprise, the ride was actually less than 1 hour. Apparently they have a new highway that is in good shape. Our plane was full, however when we arrived to Punta Cana, we found that there were only 5 people going to the Caribbean side of the Island....most went to Punta Cana. We were the only ones that went to this resort, while 2 went to one near us and the other guy went to one in Santa Domingo. That should have been our first clue that this resort does not attract many Canadians/Americans...or people that speak English. That was our challenge throughout the week....to find guests that spoke English. I travelled with my brother and we both like to talk to other guests.....which was very difficult! That is the only negative about the resort. I can handle the staff with limited English, but must say that I really missed chatting it up with the other vacationers. I have never experienced this in all my travels and because of this, would not return to this resort. I would stick with the Punta Cana resorts which I know is more English speaking.

Now for the Resort itself. BEAUTIFUL! The grounds are spectacular with ample greenery, ponds and walk-ways and very well maintained. Its not a large resort, which I like, but has a great layout which you can walk around in about 15 minutes. The weather was absolutely perfect...it only rained at night.

Rooms: We were there at the end of the rainy season, therefore the room smelled very musty. It was very clean, nice bathroom with a large shower, spacious with 2 double beds and a walk-out to a patio which overlooked the grounds. A/C worked perfectly. Awesome scenery of the impecable grounds so it was quiet. There are rooms that overlook the ocean and pool. If you want quiet, building #5 is great. We had a problem with the In-room safe and they fixed it right away. Towels always plentiful, nice towel art by maids.

Pools: There are plenty of pools, but one really big one in the centre of the resort with a swim up bar. They have lots of activities around this bar. Nice feature of pool is the gradual walk-in and platforms along sides to sun in. The Hot Tub in the centre is not Hot but the same temp of the pool. Lots of Sun Loungers around the pool with plenty of shade. The pool is quite impressive and both my brother and I agree that it is one of the nicest we have seen while abroad.

Beach: There are two sides to the Beach which has a Lighthouse Bar separating the two sides. You can only swim in the right side beach. It did take some skill to get in and out as there are some rocks and it drops off rather quickly in some areas. Once you are in, it is sandy with a few rocks. I didnt wear watershoes and was ok. However, you can walk down the beach to the left, past several resorts and just before another boardwalk, there is a beautiful full sandy beach to swim in, no rocks to be found! There was no one swimming here as it appeared that they were going to build another resort. We swam here and had the entire area to ourselves, separated by a rope to another resort. All the beaches are public so you can walk along the beaches in both directions. They offer bar service at the beach which is a nice touch, however just as nice to get up and go for a walk to the Lighthouse for a drink.
Negative: Saving of the loungers. It appears that people start putting their towels out the night before and early morning. The first morning we went to beach was around 10 am. The only spot to be found was to the far left by the boardwalk, at the back. There were plenty of towels....not a lot of people on them. I am not one to "Save" loungers...most people did not arrive to their designated spots for several hours-very annoying!!! On our second last day, I wanted a good spot as got tired of all the savers all week. I could not believe that so many were already "reserved". I still was not able to get a front view of the beach but back about 4 rows. The resort really should address this issue.
Oh yes, another great feature is that they have a towel hut which is open all day and you could change your towel as many times as you would like. I only changed if went from beach to pool to get rid of the sand, but still, many resorts offer you one towel a day and you have to get them early.

Food: We ate at 3 of the specialty restraurants...I believe there are 5. We enjoyed the French(I had Lobster), the Japanese (great atmosphere) and the Steakhouse was our least fav. The buffets always offered a great selection as well for Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner.

Activities: We love Volleyball so had our fill of this game. We played for several hours a day and had a laugh about trying to converse with the other guests. The staff got the guests up, dancing, playing games, exercising in the water, and offered archery etc. Lots to do if you wanted, or just lie back and relax was ok too.

Excursions: We went ZipLining (ok, its not like El Savador or Jamaica, but it was ok). We took a day trip to Catalina Island, which we really enjoyed. One comment if you are going to snorkel there. There is a rock ridge where they take you and many people got banged/scratched up. They offered Banana Boat rides, Tube rides which were fun. Lobster for lunch here....yum! I was approached by a photographer and was leaded around the beach for pictures, which they in turn sold you. I had to stop him after 30 minutes, but he really did get some nice shots which I purchased. We then were taken to Casa de Campo...awesome scenery...worth the trip for sure!

Staff were wonderful, very accomodating and friendly. Always greated with a smile and handshake.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,
On behalf of Mr. Amando Pozo, hotel Manager, we thank for writing a comment on Tripadvisor about your experience and for choosing Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus for your holidays.
We are very pleased to acknowledge your positive lines referring the beauty and cleanness of our hotel, the variety of our entertainment activities, our international cuisine and the friendliness of our staff. In Iberostar those aspects have been part of our guiding principles to ensure pleasant stays to our valuable costumers.
Out teams in Iberostar at Punta Cana will be pleased to welcome you; please feel free to contact us before your arrival.
Kindest regards,
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

A few friends and I traveled to this resort in November. We had done a lot of research and read many reviews, and thought this resort would suit our needs. Overall we couldn't have been happier with our choice, all the positive reviews here are for a reason. The facilities were great, from the lobby to the rooms. Everything was kept clean and tidy as well throughout the resort.

The food selection was great from the buffet to snack bars. The A La Carte restaurants were also very good, we particularly enjoyed the Japanese restaurant. It was nice that there is food available 24 hours a day as well since some of us arrived late at night and were hungry.

The pools and beach were also great. We enjoyed spending time at the pool bar and snorkeling at the beach. The artificial reef they had created was a nice touch for snorkeling.

Overall great experience. All the staff we dealt with were very friendly and helpful. From the bartenders, to the waiters in the lobbies and restaurants to the animation team. Overall a great experience, will definitely consider returning. This is my second Iberostar that I've stayed at, and am impressed with the quality.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
IberostarHotelsRD, Quality Manager Iberostar República Dominicana at Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus, responded to this review, January 8, 2014
Dear guest,
In the name of Hotel Manager, Mr. Amando Pozo, we would like to thank you for having chosen Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus for your holiday and for taking the time to post a review about your stay among us.
We would like to express how glad we are to read that our friendly staff and our international cuisine met your expectations based on the reviews posted by other “Stars” on Internet and have ensured you and your friends a “great experience” as you stated in your publication. In Iberostar Hotels and Resorts we aim to ensure unforgettable holidays to our valuable costumers.
We are looking forward to welcome you back; please feel free to contact us before your arrival.
Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

Very well maintained property, nice food, responsible staff ... It is for the first time at Caribbean that I found out local people to be really punctual and proud of what they doing.

Arguably the beaches at Cuba are better but at least at the Dominican Republic you can swim this time of year - it is nice and warm. And surely enough the service is far better than at IBEROSTAR Ensenachos we visited a year ago.

I gave this hotel 4/5 while it definitely deserves 5/5 - for one reason only. One day, my wife found out that her bathrobe disappeared; it was hanging in the bathroom and must have been taken by one of maids by mistake. We asked customer service to try and locate the item which went missing. Sadly, nobody bothered to follow up.

Many thanks to the guy from HOLA Tours who took care of us. He managed to squeeze us into Santo Domingo tour on a late notice and was very nice and helpful. BTW this tour was amazing; Colonial Town of Santo Domingo is a must see.

If you are interested in buying souvenirs for your friends and extended family, I suggest you do it either at Santo Domingo (cheapest option, even in generally expensive Colonial Town where you are given an hour or so to walk on your own) or at one of the stores in the lobby. Punta Cana airport is a ripoff ... And please don't buy anything from vendors at the beach.

Room Tip: Building 4 is generally considered the best one as soon as it is the closest to the beach
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,
We thank you for posting a review about your stay at Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus, and for choosing our hotel as your holiday’s destination.
On behalf of Mr. Amando Pozo, hotel Manager, we want to express how satisfied we are to acknowledge that the excellent service of our friendly staff, our beautiful premises and our varied gastronomy have ensured you a first unforgettable experience in the Caribbean as we aim in Iberostar Hotels and Resorts.
We are looking forward to welcome you back once again; please feel free to contact us before your arrival.
With kindest regards,
Brooklyn, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

My wife and I have stayed at an Iberostar resort previously (Jamaica) and enjoyed ourselves. The Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus is in keeping with Iberostar’s strong reputation as a relaxing getaway. Overall, we very much enjoyed ourselves, but here are some quick thoughts.
Pros:
The grounds were beautiful. Ducks, peacocks and flamingos roamed the grounds and everything was kept in pristine condition.
Beach and Pool: We typically spent half of our day by the pool and half by the beach. Both are fantastic, although it can be difficult to find a seat on the beach unless you get there at the crack of dawn.
Staff: Every encounter that we had was pleasant and personal and they went out of their way to ensure that the accommodations were to our liking. They even found out that it was my birthday and arranged for champagne to be sent to my room and a cake to be brought out during dinner.
Food: It is important to realize that the food is not necessarily fine dining. If you keep in mind that the food is for the masses, you will enjoy it. If you are expecting a 4 star experience, you will be disappointed.

Cons:
Nightlife: There are not many options at the hotel for nightlife. There is a lobby bar, a disco and a live show each night. The live shows rarely interested us and the disco was mostly for teenagers. That left the lobby bar as the best option each night.
Trip from the airport: We flew into santo domingo as part of our package and the drive to the resort was about 2 hours. I would definitely suggest flying into Punta Cana.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
IberostarHotelsRD, Quality Manager Iberostar República Dominicana at Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus, responded to this review, January 3, 2014
Dear guest,
In the name of Hotel Manager, Mr. Amando Pozo, and his team, we thank you for having chosen Iberostar Hotels and Resorts once again for your vacations, and also for taking the time to post a review about your stay at Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus.
We would like to express how pleased we are to read that the friendliness of our staff and the variety of our gastronomy met your expectations based on your visit to our hotels in Jamaica. As you have experienced once again, in Iberostar we want our guests to enjoy unforgettable holidays.
We are waiting for your next visit to any of our more than one hundred hotels worldwide. Please do not hesitate to contact us to help you enjoy your next stay with us.
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014

great stay at ihd. good food,great staff in all departments from reception,barmen,waitressesand gardeners.every where very clean,staff look as though enjoy their work,unlike some hotels visited.we will definately be back for the 9th time.excellent.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Iberostar

Dear guest,
In the name of Mr. Amando Pozo, Hotel Manager, we thank you for taking time to write a review about your eighth stay with us and for your loyalty when choosing Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus as your holiday’s destination.
We would like to express you how honored we are to read that our friendly staff among many other reason has ensured you eight unforgettable holidays as we aim in Iberostar Hotels and Resorts.
We are waiting for your return. Do not forget to contact us before your next visit.
Yours Sincerely,
Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014

Beautiful gardens. Well maintained. Even though there were many people u never felt overwhelmed as the layout of the resort was such that there were many places to sit and relax away from people or if u wanted to be surrounded by people u could. If u wanted chaise on beach u had to be there by 7am. Food was good. Lots of selection. Rooms could use bit of upgrading. We were on ground floor and sometimes u could hear people upstairs walking around

Room Tip: We liked our building by the ocean
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,
We thank you for taking time to write some comments about your experience at Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus. In the name of the Hotel Manager, Mr. Amando Pozo, we also thank you for choosing our hotel for your holidays.
We are very pleased to read your motivating lines referring the beauty, cleanness and maintenance of our grounds in especial our gardens. In Iberostar one of our guiding principles is to upkeep our grounds.
We are looking forward to welcome you back. Please feel free to contact us before your arrival.
With kindest regards,

Been to Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus? Share your experiences!