“great birthday trip” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus

You added Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus to your Saves list
Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playa Bayahibe, Bayahibe, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Bayahibe
“great birthday trip”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

We stayed from July 27th through August 2, 2013. We went as a couple with no children so I cannot comment on the childrens programs. Our room was the standard and was plenty big enough for two and would easily have accommodated a third person. Our frig malfunctioned and was replaced. We asked for and received beverages of our choice in our room frig instead of the usual sugared sodas. Plenty of beer, water, and Coke Light (their version of Diet Coke). The bed was a bit firm for me but I had no problem sleeping. The sheets and towels were in no way four star hotel quality. Sheets were not comfortable and towels were hard and nonabsorbent. Not great for sunburned skin! I slept on top of the blanket and was fine. Lighting in the bathroom was not good if you need to apply makeup. Air conditioner had no way to adjust it and was less cool than I would have liked but we slept fine for the most part. The room was clean, spacious, and pleasant. The cleaning staff always left little surprises, like towels in figures, and flowers. It was a nice touch. We did not use the safe and had no issues .Shower was spacious and the water pressure was Ok, not great but adequate. Nice balcony and place to relax and also to hang your wet clothes/suits. Beautiful view of the gardens/grounds. All rooms were convenient to the pool, beach, and restaurants. No elevators, so if you have issues with stairs be sure to ask for a first floor room. The food was good with lots of variety at the buffet. The presentation of the food was excellent. No long lines and pleasant service. Many made to order items available. Several "themed" nights were good and offered different choices. We mostly had made to order eggs or omelets in morning with fresh fruit and coffee but many other choices available. Lunch was available at the buffet or at the beach. We often ate at the beach and on several days they did a barbeque on the beach or made paella in an open pit. These were awesome lunches! Dinners had plenty of variety. We went to the "Colonial" restaurant which they called French or gourmet. It didn't seem to be French or gourmet but was very good. I had lobster with risotto. The appetizer was grilled eggplant and zucchini and was awesome. We enjoyed this dinner. The Geisha restaurant was a Japanese steakhouse type set up. they gave you sushi and vegetable tempura as an appetizer, then you could order from the grill that was cooked in front of you. The veggies were wonderful as well as the fried rice. I had shrimp and chicken with my meal and it was great but I was stuffed! My boyfriend had steak and shrimp and it was very good as well. Steak not overdone. I had no room for the dessert although it looked great. We really enjoyed the Geisha the most. The Mexican restaurant had a great appetizer bar which had everything that I would have wanted for a meal. I had ordered steak skewers. I tasted it but it wasn't near as good as the food on the appetizer bar so I went back for more fajitas instead. We didn't eat at the Steak house but we spoke to a couple that did and they said their steak was the best that they ever had. The drinks are all included and the servers are generous if you ask for extra shots, especially if you give them a tip. the Lobby bar has all the top shelf alcohol. the beach and pool bar had mostly the lower shelf but the pina coladas and "banana Mommas" were great! all the servers were very friendly and accommodating to whatever you wanted. There were two beach bars. One next to the lunch and snack area and the other was the "lighthouse" bar on the water. both had the same variety and the "smoothie" drinks. The pool was beautiful and had plenty of seats with thatched roofs over them to keep you from burning up in the sun. There was a hot tub in the island, a swim up bar, and plenty of activities going on there all day. The beach was beautiful and also had the thatched roofs over the chairs. We had no problem getting spots at the beach. I would recommend beach shoes however because there are rocks. If you are paying attention, you can see them because the water is so clear but I still managed to trip over one and cut my leg! The water was warm and mostly calm. It was great! Snorkeling, kayaking, and small sailboats available for an hour a day. We did not use these however. Beware of the "sellers" on the beach. They have these little shacks where they sell cheap merchandise and try to sell if for high prices. They great you with a free necklace or bracelet and then ask you to come to their shop and pressure you to buy something. We didn't. unfortunately the resort allowed these sellers onto the main property on Tuesday evening. They were at every entrance and walkway to the lobby and restaurants so you could not avoid them! this was very annoying and I was surprised that the resort allowed it. I heard several guests tell them to leave them alone. We did too! They were very aggressive. I would highly suggest to the management that they stop this practice! We went to several of the evening shows and these young people did a great job with their performances. They were very energetic and entertaining. We never made it to the "disco" Nemos, as it didn't open till 11pm and by then we were done! Too much sun, food, and drink by then! Overall, the property was beautiful& well maintained. the ponds on site could use some algae treatment to get rid of the green color and the algae smell. The beautiful birds, ducks, peacocks, flamingoes, and fish didn't seem to mind however. The staff was great for the most part. Most were very helpful and friendly. We especially enjoyed Spanish lessons from Nicolas at poolside. Rodolfo Santana, the guest services director, was fantastic and made sure our every need was met. He even invited us to a special dinner on the beach. We booked two excursions while there. The first was to Casa De Campos, Rio de Chavon, and Villa de Chavon. We paid too much for what we were told would be a private tour with an English speaking guide. The guy insisted on cash only, which should have tipped us off. The "guide" turned up in a beat up old taxi van that sounded like it would explode any second. He spoke No English at all. He appeared to be a cab driver on his day off making a bit of cash on the side. We were relieved to make it back to the hotel that day! We did get some nice pictures but we appeared to be the only ones at these sites. Obviously not a real popular "tour". The next day however we went with Sky Tours on an all day trip. We started on a boat and went snorkeling. Then went to a small sandbar where we saw and touched starfish. There were drinks with rum and juice all day. A photographer was on the trip and took lots of great pictures. We then went to another sandbar where we sat in the ocean and drank rum drinks from fresh pineapples! Then we ate the pineapples. More pictures! Then we went to Catalina island and saw where Pirates of the Caribbean was filmed and drank coconut juice from freshly cut coconuts, with a splash of rum! Then they took us to a beautiful island for a great lunch on the beach. We had our own personal cabanas and had a couple of hours to swim and explore. Massages were also available here for $10 extra. A boat was a bar, which was all included. We reloaded the boats and were taken to a catamaran and this was our trip back on a party boat with music and more drinks. It was fantastic and I highly recommend this tour. Well worth the price! Use lots of sunscreen! We used 50 , applied it hourly, and still burned! We had tans too as we are from Florida, so be smart! Overall we had a great time and for the price this resort was well worth it. Beaches is right next door but I heard it wasn't as nice and is more expensive. I had a great birthday here and with the few criticisms I highly recommend the Iberostar at Bayhibe. We met another couple who had been to The Iberostars at Bavaro and Punta Cana and they felt the the other ones were a bit nicer. (Liam from previous review) I saw a review today that suggested you had to fly into Santa Domingo. We flew from Miami to La Romana airport, got a cab there for $35. and it was a short 20 minute ride to the resort. No problem. Well I hope this was helpful, although long, it addressed all the things that I wanted to know before I went! If you go, I don't think you will be disappointed. As Larry at the pool says every day be "Happy happy" One last point, the all inclusive states that tips are included, BUT these people work hard, for long hours, and are not well off. They very much appreciated tips and I highly recommend that you at least tip your room maid, and your favorite waiters or waitresses, or any other staff that goes above and beyond for you. Take a lot of one dollar bills, as getting change there was almost impossible. I read a review before I went and was prepared with small bills in cash. Buenos Dias!

Room Tip: We were initially in building number one which was close to evening entertainment which went on till...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
IberostarHotelsRD, Quality Manager Iberostar República Dominicana at Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus, responded to this review, August 9, 2013
Dear guest,
We would like to thank you for having chosen Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus as your destination for your birthday celebration and for having taken the time to post a review about your experience.
In the name of the Hotel Manager, Mr. Amando Pozo, we want to express you how pleased we are when we read that you enjoyed an excellent stay in our premises and appreciate your positive comments about the beauty of our hotel facilities and premises, the friendliness of our staff, and the exquisite gastronomic experience and the variety of our daily and nightly entertainment. One of our guiding principles in Iberostar is to provide the best service to our valuable costumers. We have congratulated Nicolás and Rodolfo whose service made a difference during your visit. Likewise, we welcome your suggestions about our room and it has been delivered to the corresponding departments.
We are looking forward to welcome you back again. Please feel free to contact us before your arrival, so we can ensure you another memorable experience.
With regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (304)
  • Polish first
Massapequa Park, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

Just got back from Iberostar Haciendas.We would not go back. There was not enough to do. No nightlife. The show was all in Spanish as well as the lack of English speaking staff. My husband wanted a gingerale and was brought a Gin and tonic. The food was repetitive especially for breakfast and lunch with not changing the variety of foods offered. This is supposed to be a family resort and no one in sight can you get chicken nuggets except for room service. We arrived and were booked in Section 6 3rd floor far away from pool and beach. They moved us the next door but that was after much convincing for me to do. Once moved to section 4 floor level much better however took 36hours to have a light bulb fixed, the AC turned off in our room during the night and took several hours to fix. There was no activities for kids at that pool with the exception of one day having a water slide which was put onto the deep side not good since my kids did not swim and would have ended up in the deep side. I myself was bored at night also The lounge where the show was was incredibly hot and show was not good. A big disappointment for us. May be good for some but not for us. The food in the restaurants was not too good. The worst was in the Mexican restaurant Taco Bell is better a soggy mushy taco shell and beef that I could not even chew. We were not expecting the best food since most all inclusives are not 5 star dining but were expecting better than this. the pool could have been cleanier with much sand in it from the beachgoers and debris floating around and dead bugs. Also no waiter service other at the pool than either the swim up bar or walking to the other side of the swim up bar. One day someone came over to us I ordered a seltzer and he brought me a beer because he could not understand us.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,
On behalf of Mr. Amando Pozo, hotel Manager, we thank for writing a comment on Tripadvisor about your experience at Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus and for choosing our hotel premises and facilities for your holidays.
We regret to acknowledge that our nightly entertainment, our exquisite gastronomy and our family friendly ambience could not meet your expectations nor ensured you a pleasant holiday as we aim in Iberostar. We would like to clarify that kid’s activities are taking place at our Lucy’s Club near building 7.
In case you decide to visit us again, we remain at your disposition for further assistance.
Kindest regards,
Buffalo Grove, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

I am a huge fan of Iberostar resorts, but this one disappointed me a little bit. Good things first:
- Food: Very nice. Even the buffet was very good. The seafood, fish, meat. All good
- Drinks: Good quality liquor
- Beach: clean
- Pool: plenty of space
- Staff: very helpful, very nice!!!

Things that needs to be improved:
- Rooms: old, run down. Needs major renovations. Very poorly lit rooms (for girls, tough to do make up) :)
- A small issue with drinks: Once you sit down for dinner at the ala carte restaurant or the buffet and order drinks, the waiters are refusing to bring them, explaining that they have to go to the bar (on the other side of the lobby). Quiet annoying if you want to have a drink (besides wine or beer) with your dinner
- Entertainment for kids: very minimal comparing to Iberostar Dominicana or Iberostar Lindo (in Rivierea Maya)

Not sure if I would consider going back, there are plenty of other very decent Iberostar hotels.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear guest,
Firstly we would like to thank you for your loyalty when choosing Iberostar Hotels and Resorts for your holidays and for the time you took to post a review about your experience at Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus.
In the name of Mr. Amando Pozo, we appreciate your nice words towards our staff members and our gastronomy. In Iberostar the whole team is committed to ensure a memorable stay to our beloved guests as you well know after several visits to our hotels in Mexico and Punta Cana. Likewise, we appreciate your feedback regarding how we can improve the experience of our guests and we reassure you that it has been shared with the whole departmental heads.
We are looking forward to welcome you back in any of our hotels worldwide. Please feel free to contact us before your next vacation in Iberostar.
Yours sincerely,
Trumbull, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

My family and I stayed at this resort from 7/27/13-8/3/13 and we had a great time. The property is breathtaking and the pools and beach were wonderful. My husband and I are seasoned travelers and wanted to share our love of traveling with our children and we succeeded. My children are 13 and 10. My 10 year old son is VERY picky when it comes to food and he loved choosing his own meals and found many things he liked which was always an expensive issue on our other vacations. Our favorite restaurant to eat was the Colonial. The steak and lobster made the whole family happy as well as the wonderful service. The employees of the hotel are very friendly and the star friends included everyone in all the fun activities on the beach as well as the pool. The beach was my favorite even though people did get up early to save spots under the umbrellas but there was never an issue getting an umbrella, I was able to get a good spot because I got up early (6:30am) to relax on the beach while my family slept, it is my favorite thing to do even when I'm home. The beach has some rocks but you can see straight to the bottom so they are easy to avoid. Be sure to use the catamarans, kayaks and snorkeling gear provided they are so much fun. I am a very picky traveler and have reviewed other hotels on trip advisor, but there is nothing bad I can say about this resort we would definitely go back. We were very happy with our choice and always felt welcomed and safe which is extremely important when its comes to traveling with children.

Room Tip: All the buildings were centrally located and easily accessible to the beach, pools and buffets so I...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for writing some comments about your stay at Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus and for having chosen Iberostar Hotels and Resorts as your holiday’s destination.
On behalf of Mr. Amando Pozo, hotel Manager, we would like to express you how pleased we are to read that you enjoyed “a great time” as you stated in the review due to our specialty restaurants and nightly themed buffet, our wide daily and nightly entertainment options and the excellent service provided by our staff members. The friendliness of our staff is one of our strengths and the key to the success of our services and facilities in Iberostar.
We will be pleased to welcome you back again; please do not hesitate to contact us before your arrival.
Yours sincerely,
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013 via mobile

This was our first time at IHD, but second stay at an Iberostar. We travelled from July 27 to Aug. 3 2013.

The good
Having stayed at an Iberostar before, we knew that the staff was the best part and the IHD was no exception. Service was terrific in all of the bars and restaurants (except one). The star friends also do a great job of entertaining you and filling your day with activities for all ages. Specifically, we received exceptional service from Victor, Morla, Nicholas and Lenny (aka happy Lenny). These guys work hard and for long hours, but you'd never know it.
I also want to mention that most staff have pretty good English, so if your spanish isn't great don't worry. This isn't the case at all resorts and we struggled a bit at the Iberostar Bavaro in Punta Cana.

There are three pools at the resort and the main one is huge! You'll have no trouble at all finding a chair / palapa either by the pool or on the beach. You can easily find a place to quietly read / sun bathe or be closer to the action at the pool bar. There's also an artificial reef about fifty yards off shore where the water is only about neck deep. It's teeming with life and the calm waters make it easy to swim.

The food in general was good, not great. This is fairly typical of all-inclusive resorts, but the IHD was better than most. We enjoyed the Mexican restaurant the most, but the buffet was good too. Another reviewer suggested that you skip the Japanese restaurant and we agree.

There's no staff pressuring you to buy timeshares or excursions. You'll find this at 3 or 4 star resorts, but Iberostar is better than that.

The bad
The biggest issue we had was that on Tuesdays they allow local vendors into the resort to sell their wares. I've seen this at 3 and 4 star resorts, but was caught by surprise here since the IHD was rated 5 stars. Magnifying the issue was the fact that these vendors are allowed to setup from 6-10 pm directly in front of the restaurants and are VERY AGGRESSIVE. We couldn't get to dinner without being harassed by at least three vendors. We dreaded leaving the restaurant, knowing we'd have have to traverse the vendor gauntlet afterwards.

While this is an all-inclusive resort, use of the safe was $2 daily and you only receive 1 hour daily of snorkeling, kayaking, etc. The activities are mutually exclusive, so you need to kayak for an hour one day and snorkel the next, or be very mindful of your time.

The resort and grounds were nice, but didn't seem as well kept as the Iberostar in Bavaro. The water in the fountains and ponds near the lobby looked green and even had a slight odor. This could have been due to the time of year though.

At the Colonial (French restaurant), my wife was served fresh fruit for dessert and the plate was covered in ants. We received less than great service at the Colonial in general, but ants in food is unacceptable. Fortunately for us, this was the only time we experienced bad service at the IHD.

Summary
In general, this resort was alright. We felt it was particularly well suited for families, less so for young couples. While we were there we looked at some of the other resorts and the IHD was clearly better than the rest. The only comparable resort seemed to be Dreams.

I don't know that we'd return here, but we most definitely love Iberostar. If you're set on staying in La Romana, the IHD is a tremendous value and probably the best place to stay. If you're looking at visiting the Dominican Republic in general, I'd urge you to consider the Iberostar Bavaro or Grand Bavaro in Punta Cana.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,
On behalf of Mr. Amando Pozo, hotel Manager, we thank you for your loyalty when choosing Iberostar as your holiday’s destination and for taking time to post a review about your experience among us.
On the one hand, we want to express you how glad we are to read your positive words about the excellent service provided by our friendly staff, the variety of our gastronomy and the beauty of our premises. We have congratulated Victor, Morla, Lenny and Nicolas for making your holidays pleasant.
On the other hand, we extend our apologies for the episode with the dessert in our Colonial restaurant. We have shared your feedback with our Food and Beverage Manager so this event does not reoccur.
Our team in Iberostar Bavaro will be more than pleased to welcome you back and we remain at your entire disposition for any further assistance.
Kindest regards,
Gloucester, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

I just finished reading a review from Iowa and felt I needed to respond. Really! Are you sure you stayed at the IBHD?

I would say I am a seasoned traveler, I have traveled all over the world and have never stayed at a resort or hotel less than a 3 star rating. The IBHD is one of the BEST places I have stayed.  The staff is one of the best staff you could ask for.  They are well trained, polite, and trustworthy. Our room was ransacked at Disney! I feel safer at the HD than anywhere else I have stayed and that includes 38 of  the US states I have traveled.

I have stayed there to many times to count..Always in October and May.  I have NEVER had a poor meal. There are literally 100's of entrees to choose from.  And if you felt  you did not receive the food you had wanted you could always ask. They are there to accommodate you and do a great job at that. Any one of the chefs would have made you anything you wanted.

The beach... you are kidding right!  I live on a beach in Massachusetts. I know what rocks are and rough water. The beach is amazing!  I have NEVER have seen a rock in the water.  I have been there during hurricanes and other than a couple of coconuts falling..there is not a rock, seaweed, or shells on the beach. ( I wish there  were shells I collect them) The beach is kept spotless.

Did you really think that the Star Friends should spend their well earned lunch with you...Do you accommodate  people on your working lunch?

I have met so many people from all over the world staying at my second home.  I have also "adopted" the wonderful men and woman into my family and wish I could see them more.

You are very entitled to your opinion but you need a few more air miles under your belt before you see how great the IBHD is. I wish you well with future travels and look forward to reading a new review from you once you realize
how wrong you were about the IBHD!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
IberostarHotelsRD, Quality Manager Iberostar República Dominicana at Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus, responded to this review, August 4, 2013
Dear Guest,
We would like to thank you for writing a review on Tripadvisor about your recent experience at Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus. In the name of Mr. Amando Pozo, Hotel Manager, we also thank you for your loyalty when choosing our hotel as your holiday’s destination.
Thank you for highlighting out the friendliness of our staff members and the variety of our gastronomy. In Iberostar those are part of our guiding principles so we can ensure a memorable stay to our beloved guests as the multiple experiences you have lived among us in the company of our staff.
We are waiting for your next visit to your “second home” and will be waiting for your contact for any request you may have before your return.
With kindest regards,
Goole, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

We travelled to IHD last year from 30th Aug-13th Sept ,we were a party of 4 myself, my husband and my two best friends who we have travelled with many times. One of my friends who holidayed with us is a T5/T6 paraplegic for all those not medically aware my friend is crippled from chest down. We arrived late afternoon and was greeted by front of house manager sorry cant recall the gentleman's name but what I can say is that he was a star. I had previously emailed hotel to see if we could have ground floor rooms close to beach, I also have health problems I suffer from COPD and Fibromyalgia which can restrict my ability to walk far, We were personally escorted by front of house gentleman to our rooms , he also asked us which restaurants we would like to eat at , we told him our choices and days and times we would like to go, he organised everything and our reservations we posted under our door a couple of hours later. we were given ground floor suites in block 4 which was perfect for us as we are beach lovers. The buffets and a la carte restaurants were wonderful especially el colonial the lobster is awesome and the steak house was equally lovely, we went to Japanese but we were not keen there was nothing wrong with the food it was just not our thing!! the beach was outstanding and the water was wonderful we never ever struggled to get sun loungers at pool or beach. the grounds are the best we have ever seen and the courtyards in all the blocks were different it was a pleasure to walk around, and everyday we discovered something new within the gardens. All the staff was wonderful including the gardeners who we made a point of chatting to every day they worked tirelessly and don't get the same attention as other staff members(which is a shame) We have travelled to Dominican Republic on six other occasions to different resorts around the island, we enjoyed our stays at those hotels as well. We have travelled to other Caribbean islands inc Jamaica and Cuba which were equally beautiful. But I have to say IHD is the best we have stayed at, it is simply paradise . We will be travelling back to IHD later this year and cant wait. I have to say To Mr Guzman and Mr Pozo well done for the constant high standards at IHD and to all the staff cant wait to come and see you all again including Lady Gaga who never stopped entertaining everyone. If your looking for a little slice of laid back paradise this is the hotel !!!! We also made friends at this hotel from different countries who we are still in touch with, it is a very friendly well run hotel. YOU WILL NOT BE DISSAPOINTED

Room Tip: This is not a large hotel compared to others we have stayed at , all rooms were well placed and the...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
IberostarHotelsRD, Quality Manager Iberostar República Dominicana at Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
Dear guest,
On behalf of Mr. Amando Pozo, hotel Manager, we thank you for having chosen Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus for your holidays last year and for taking time to share your experience on Tripadvisor.
We are much honored to read your motivating publication referring the excellent service of our friendly staff before, during and after your stay last year. In Iberostar we are committed to provide an excellent service to our beloved guests so they can “enjoy being a Star” as you and your friends certainly did according to your publication.
We hope to welcome you back any soon. Please do not forget to contact us before your arrival.
Best regards,

Been to Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus? Share your experiences!