“just ok but not the best if you only speak english” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus

You added Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus to your Saves list
Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playa Bayahibe, Bayahibe, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Bayahibe
kitchener,on
“just ok but not the best if you only speak english”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

the people who visit this area are mostly from europe and english is not the first language in the resort and can become a problem if this is an issue.

we flew westjet out of toronto. unlike sunwing a free meal is not provided and except for the lame jokes it's air canada all over again. on sunwing you feel you're on vacation on westjet you're on a charter.

when we arrived at the airport our sunquest representative put us on the wrong bus and we went to the bahia by accident. 2 hours later we reached the iberostar. you should always confirm before you leave that you are on the right bus. we've travelled to over 10 resorts and never had this problem.

on arrival the front desk could care less we we're there, in fact he yawned it was 6pm.

we got what we asked for, so far as room choice. nothing fancy, avg for the price you pay. $2/day for the safe. for the price you pay and security it should be free. the nice part was you could use the wifi from the room(excellent). you can buy access for $3/day for 2 hours unfortunately it expires after 24 hours. it would be nice if it didn't expire.

i choose this resort for the snorkeling and it's nice of the beach by the far buoys away from the lighthouse unfortunately it was too windy for 4 days so didn't do alot of snorkeling not resorts fault. the beach is nice but the towel wars exist. you would think of all of the complaints on tripadvisor from all different resorts that they would find a solution. Maybe not hand out towels at 8am and have security verify that once a towel is put down someone sits in it. people treat it as a game and it's not.

i did 2 excursions with pro excursions. snorkeling and horseback riding. the snorkeling was in french and although our guide tried in english the main guide was in french we felt we missed out on alot of the jokes and explanation. they should have an english or other language excursion but not both.

the food was just ok for the price you pay. we did 3 ala cartes steak house, mexican and japanese. except for the japanese you had to use a buffet to get you salad which is not what an ala carte should be.

the biggest issue we had was that the power went out in our room the 2nd last day before we left just before dinner. the end result was we had to change rooms. no problem things happen. this is where the non english and issues happened. when we phoned about the problem, we were told someone will be there in 10 minutes. an hour later we decided to go to dinner because no one showed up. on our way we met the electrician so we went back to the room with him. we found out we had to move. it was at night and we couldn't see anything we were assured from a manager who came that we would have someone will help us move with flashlights. no one showed up and we moved ourselves with a flashlight i brought.

At checkout I mentioned this to the woman at checkout and asked if i could get a refund on the safe. She could have cared less, no refund.

I found at this resort where english is not a common language amongst the staff. If a problem does occur frustration sets in. I found the same issue in Cuba whereas Mexico is a completely different experience.

As a suggestion have a manager do the checkout and ask how your stay was, not someone you never even asks how your stay was.

It is how things are handled when a problem arises that makes the resort and the way the resort handled our minor situation with the power failure was disappointing.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
IberostarHotelsRD, Quality Manager Iberostar República Dominicana at Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
Dear guest,
On behalf of Mr. Amando Pozo, Hotel Manager, we thank you for choosing Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus as your holiday’s destination and for posting a feedback about your stay on Tripadvisor.
On the one hand, we appreciate your positive valuation about the variety of our gastronomy and the beauty and cleanness of our hotel premises. In Iberostar one of our guiding principles is to upkeep our premises.
On the other hand, we extend our apologies for any and all inconveniences related to the breakdown of service from our Front Desk and Maintenance team. It is through communications of this nature that we are given an opportunity to assess and evaluate our performance, as well as to ensure that we maintain and deliver the level of service expected from our Hotel. Our manager has shared your entire publication with the corresponding departments so we can take measures and improve our procedures and standards.
We will be honored to welcome you back again and show you our improvements. In case of you decide to visit us; please do not hesitate to contact us before your arrival.
With kindest regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (305)
  • Polish first
Milwaukee
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

This was our second trip to LaRomana in a year's time. Last time we stayed at Dreams which was a dream. We heard that Dreams and Iberostar are in constant competition as to which will be rated #1. I really don't think that they compete. The rooms and grounds at Iberostar were very clean and rarely saw any type of bug. The beach here is rougher and rockier which made us hang out by the pool. Not really why we flew to the Dominican Republic. There is no pool/ocean service unlike Dreams where they came around every ten minutes or so. I would have to say that service was the worst I have ever experienced in all of our years of travelling (yes, we do tip!) In seven days we did not run into anyone else from the states. There was a language barrier not only with the tourists but with the staff. I cannot tell you how many times we were told "no english". Our rep (Alphonso) was never around but we saw him at breakfast several times?????? We were told to check in the day before we were to leave to make sure that our flight time was still the same. After spending an hour hunting him down all he did was open his book and say that we were on the schedule. There was no checking with the airline that I could tell. My husband wanted to make golf reservations at Teeth of the Dog. He went up to guest services every day and there was only one person who put any effort into it at all and that was on our third to last day. Unfortunately the only time he could make a tee time was for the day we were leaving. If only he had talked to that person earlier (her name was Arellia or something like that...she was very helpful). The food is average. They limit you to 3 nights of the finer dining but if you are willing to stand in line at 2 p.m. you might be able to get a reservation if there are any spaces left. If you want decaf coffee they slam a jar of Necafe on your table. You cannot get a cappacino at breakfast...only at the lobby bar???? You can only get name brand liquor at the lobby bar which was always crowded at night and you could never get a seat. Checking in was easy though when they hand you their packet it explains that you cannot reserve areas at the pool or the beach. As he explained their policy he rolled his eyes basically telling us that they don't enforce this (they don't) If you don't have a towel out by 7-7:30 forget getting any shade. In the packet it also explains that there is a $2/day charge for the safe. When we checked out they said there were no charges so we will monitor our credit card statement. There is a sewage odor occassionally....I understand they use recycled water to water the grounds. This was our second time at an Iberostar (last one in Mexico) and I don't think we will every stay at one again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
IberostarHotelsRD, Quality Manager Iberostar República Dominicana at Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus, responded to this review, March 8, 2013
Dear Guests,
Thank you for choosing Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus for your vacations and for taking the time to post a feedback on Tripadvisor.
In the name of the Hotel Manager, Mr. Amando Pozo, we want to express how much we regret that our value for money could not meet your expectations. Iberostar Hotels & Resorts is the leading hotel chain for vacation hotels with more than 100 hotels at the disposal for our beloved “Stars”. In each of our hotels Iberostar our guiding principles are to provide the best service and to offer the best quality of products in exquisite gastronomy and both aspects are highly appreciated by our loyal international costumers and the key of our success worldwide. We regret that this was not your impression when you visited Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus.
We remain at your entire disposition in case you decide to “enjoy being a Star”.
Schaumburg, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

We have traveled to Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus last week of February. We stayed for 7 days. We were party of 3 (my wife, 3,5 year old son and myself). It was our third trip do Dominican Republic. Previously we stayed at Iberostar Bavaro (also great resort) and Dreams Palm Beach (just good resort).
We have traveled thru apple vacations on non stop flight from Chicago. It took 4 hours. Transfer from airport to resort took 40 min. It was nice and smooth ride.
Got to the hotel, got room in quiet building nr 3. It was close to everything.
Pools were very nice and clean.
Food was absolutely amazing, We mostly ate at the buffet or snack bars There was always plenty of choices.
Drinks were good, there is few bars in resort where you can get drink or cafe no matter where in resort you are. Are favorite was beach bar in lighthouse.
Grounds and gardens are very beautiful and extremly well maintained.
There is kids club (Lucy's Club) open during the day with little pool for toddlers and playground.
Entertaiment team goes beyond to make you happy there. Every day at 8.30 there was show and mini disco for kids and very nice show or disco with live band at 9 for adults.
Staff is very friendly and helpful.
Beach is very nice with lots of chairs but at the time ocean was not very pleasant and there were some big waves so we couldn't really swim.
Rooms are spacious and functional. A/C worked very well. Rooms were made up twice a day!
One day we rented out the car, which was nice expirence. We saw Bayahibe fishing village, basilica in Higuey, Boca de Yuma and couple other places. Gas is expensive there $ 5.5 per gallon.
In case you wonder if there is a doctor in the resort I have to tell you that there is one.
Very profesional, fluent in English, great doctor. Our son got bad cough and we went to see him. He gave him medicine and he got better fast.
There weren't many Americans in hotel. There were French, Germans, Spanish, Canadians, Russians, Argentinians. We made friends with Germans, they son at the same age as ours.
We tipped staff for their hard work, We suggest do the same. These are really hard working good people.

Overall it was 7 days in paradise. I would recommend this resort to anyone. Thank you Iberostar for another fabulous vacations.

I also have to say that when whoever writes bad reviews for this place will not be happy anywhere.

Room Tip: Get room in building 3 or 4.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,
We want to thank you for posting some comments on Tripadvisor about your experience at Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus and for choosing our hotel for your family holidays.
In the name of the Hotel Manager, Mr. Amando Pozo and his team, we would like to express you how glad we are to hear that your stay was unforgettable due to our beautiful premises and facilities, our exquisite gastronomy, and the friendliness of our staff members, especially from our Star Friends team and their activities for the entire family. Those are aspect of our commitments in Iberostar so we can ensure memorable holidays to our valuable costumers as the one you lived in Punta Cana at Iberostar Bavaro.
We are looking forward to welcome you back, please contact us before your arrival.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

If anyone has read my reviews they know I'm a loyal Iberostar fan and after staying 5 nights at the Hacienda Dominicus that has only been reinforced. This was my first vacation to this particular hotel and it won't be my last! To me this vacation from which I just returned was one of the best experiences I have ever had at an Iberostar resort. As others have said the accommodations and grounds are beautiful, well kept, and a pleasure to experience.
So as not to be too windy here are my highlights:
1) The staff are very gracious and love to smile - they seem quite happy working for this company which translates to wonderful service for the guests. A shout out to Morla and Nino at the pool bar - 2 great guys that enjoyed having fun taking care of the customers. ATENTTION MANAGEMENT - THESE GUYS ARE GREAT DON'T LOOSE THEM!
2) The housekeeper for my room had it cleaned every morning while I was at breakfast - she did a wonderful job. The room was impeccably clean from check in to check out. ATENTTION MANAGEMENT - PLEASE RECOGNIZE THE YOUNG LADY THAT WAS ASSIGNED MY ROOM #3202 from 2/27 to 3/4. She deserves your praise and my thanks!!
3) Food in the buffet was tremendous - there was a great assortment every night. Everything was delicious and even a picky eater could have found something they liked. The food at Iberostar Hotels seems to be one thing this company really excels at. There is always variety and what should be cold is and what should be hot is. I noticed many peoples surprise at what was offered and it seemed they took full advantage by going back for seconds - who could blame them the food was delicious! The restaurant manager was present every night and made sure by his inspection that everything was presented to great satisfaction. I should say the hotel seemed very heavily booked yet tables were cleaned immediately, plenty of staff were on hand, and overall dinning was a pleasure. I did not eat at any of the ale carte restaurants but did hear from some other guests that they were pleased.
4) Entertainment staff - "Star Friends Team" - these guys and girls work their butts off entertaining all day everyday and are particularly great with kids. So family travelers this is the place to go - THEY LIKE KIDS! Plenty of activities everyday for all ages.
5) The pool and beach - yes I observed some lunatics heading for tagging their sun loungers at the crack of dawn. This is not uncommon at any resort and certainly not the fault of the hotel. I found no problem getting a sun lounger on the beach at 10:30-11:00AM everyday and yes I had a palapa (thatched) umbrella for shade too! The beach is beautiful with palms and trees for extra shade. The beach bar lighthouse is really cool to have a drink at. The beach looks as if tidal erosion is becoming a problem but I have seen this same thing in Mexico, Jamaica, Cozumel, as well as other locations - people it's not the hotel's fault. There is no problem going into the ocean and the sand on the beach is very clean. So - TOO ALL THE NITWITS THAT HAVE TO RESERVE BEACH OR POOL SUN LOUNGERS AT THE CRACK OF DAWN - GET A LIFE. lol
On Saturday the management of the hotel gathered on the beach at a lunch party to put a face to the pride they have in their staff and the hotel - a very nice touch!
In conclusion I would recommend the Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus to anyone looking for a relaxing and enjoyable vacation. You certainly get plenty of bang for your buc - another words it's a great bargain. Please feel free to email me any specific questions you may have and I'll do my best to answer them. Give this hotel a try and I think you'll be very happy and satisfied - I know I am and can't wait for the next opportunity to go back. Lastly - thank you to all the staff and management of the Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus for making my vacation a wonderful time well spent.

Room Tip: Building #3 has rooms that face the pool and are close to the beach.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
IberostarHotelsRD, Quality Manager Iberostar República Dominicana at Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Dear guest,
In the name of the hotel Manager, Mr. Amando Pozo, we would like to thank you for your loyalty towards Iberostar Hotels and Resorts as your holiday’s destination and for taking the time to write a review about your experience at Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus.
It is a great honor for the whole team to acknowledge that you had an excellent and relaxing experience while visiting our hotel. Your motivating words referring our varied gastronomy beautify premises and excellent service have been shared to all our staff members especially with those staff member who made a difference during your stay, e.g. Nino and Morla at the pool bar. As you are used to, in Iberostar we are committed to ensure our guests to “enjoy being a Star”.
We are looking forward to welcoming you again; please feel free to contact us before your next vacation with us.
Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus Feb. 2013

My wife and I have take about a dozen Caribbean vacations over the last 15 years. Most have been to all inclusives, and most have been with Apple Vacations. We fly out of St. Louis and are limited to Cancun, Punta Cana, and Jamaica for non-stop flights.

We had been to Punta Cana twice before. I enjoy scuba diving and my wife likes to snorkel. Punta Cana faces the Atlantic, the beaches are great, but the waves make diving poor at best. On one of those previous vacations we took a day trip to the La Romana area. The water visibility was much better.

Recently a new 4-lane highway has been completed from Punta Cana to the La Romana area. It’s an easy 40-minute drive, and now you have the added choice of resorts facing the Caribbean side. We chose the Iberostar. Because it was rated #1 on Trip Advisor, it was a little cheaper than #2 Dreams, and we have been satisfied with other properties that we have used.

We left St. Louis at 7:30, and by 1:00 we were checked in, I had my sun glasses on, and a rum drink in my hand! At the check in, we were told we were in building #1. The clerk showed us a map and told us the preferred buildings were #3, #4, and #7. I asked if we could be moved. He checked with the manager and came back moved us to the third floor of building #3 (overlooking the pool). It was an awesome room!

The grounds and beach area are immaculate. The maintenance staff are always cleaning, painting, and planting. At night the lighting along the pathways is breathtaking. The staff was always very polite and helpful. I asked several of the staff how many languages they spoke and the answer was typically four or more.

That brings up my next point. Although everyone speaks English (one staff told me that English is the universal language), and everyone loves the US dollar, there are very few Americans at the resort. There are lots of French, Canadians, Russians, and Germans. Age ranged from one month to ninety years, with lots of children. If I heard English, it was almost always Canadian.

The food and drinks, as we expected, were fantastic. We ate at three a-la-carte restaurants. I ate lobster twice. The only complaint I have is I did not see peel and eat shrimp or crab legs at the buffet restaurants.

Much to our surprise the waves were much stronger than we had expected. I talked to a number of locals and was told that this was unusual. In spite of the waves I did manage two dives. They were both very good. I dove with the dive shop on site. The dives were shallow (40 ft), at 1:30 in the afternoon (when the sun is the most direct), and very close to the resort. I saw a 10 ft. long eagle ray on the second dive. The dive master was more excited than anybody. It is a great memory.
Another favorite activity is walking the beach. My best guess is you can walk about a couple of miles to the south and maybe a half mile to the north, I actually managed to lose weight in the vacation. However, the beach at Punta Cana is better for walking.

Just to the right of the Iberostar property is a public beach for the town of Dominicus. We walked over there several times. There are a lot of different shops and street venders. Just smile and wave boys and keep on walking. There is also a cigar factory called Juan Pablo (?). I paid $32 for 5 hand rolled cigars.

We also took a local taxi to Bayahibe. We caught the taxi in front of our resort. The 5 minute ride cost $1/person. A private taxi cost $10 total. Our taxi was a van, stuffed from floor to ceiling, with 20 hot and sweaty people.

It was fun to explore Bayahibe. We walked north to the Dreams property. In my opinion, the Iberostar beach is much better. If you follow the ocean in a southerly direction you eventually find a path/road that will take you back to Dominicus. It’s probably less than 2 miles, so take water with you.

My negative comments follow;
On rare occasions we could smell an odor at the resort. We were told that the water used for the grass and flowers is “recycled“. We made sure we stayed up wind of any sprinklers.

Our son tried to contact us by calling the resort. He told us he called 4 – 5 times, and had difficulty communicating with the person on the phone. The phone message was finally slipped under our door several hours later.

Another issue I have is regarding the resort Internet charges ($3 for two hours and it must be used within a 24 hour period). The service was terribly slow, and we lost connection a number of times. Most places we go don’t charge for WiFi, and the speed/service is much faster.

And my final complaint is with Apple. Our Apple rep. does not work on Wednesdays. We were leaving on Thursday and normally you meet the day before to determine your departure time. We had to make two trips to the customer service desk and combined we waited over an hour before we received the information. It seems to me that the Appple rep should just slip a note under every customer’s door on Tuesday with the departure time.

All in all, a great trip. Very relaxing. No tattoos and no sunburn. We will be going to a resort in the La Romana region again. .

Room Tip: Ask for Building #3, 4, or 5.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
IberostarHotelsRD, Quality Manager Iberostar República Dominicana at Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
Dear guest,
We would like to thank you for choosing Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus for your first visit to La Romana, and for the time you took to post a review about your stay among us.
In the name of Mr. Amando Pozo and his team, we would like to express how satisfied we are to read that you had a relaxing experience whilst your stay among us. In Iberostar we are committed to provide an excellent service with a friendly staff as well an exquisite cuisine. We appreciate your positive valuation about those aspects of our services.
On the other hand, we have forward your suggestions regarding how to improve the experience of our valuable costumers to the corresponding departmental heads. Our staff members and Managers welcome your feedback and apologize for any inconvenience.
We will be honored to welcome you back again, please do not hesitate to contact us prior your next visit.
Shoreview, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

We just got back from spending 3 nights at Iberostar Haciena Dominicus. Overall, it was pretty nice. The grounds were beautiful with lots of well maintained vegetation, various kinds of ducks, and also peacocks. The paths were also well maintained and it was always pleasant walking from wherever you were to wherever you wanted to go. The pool area was quite large, nice, and clean but we didn't spend much time at the pool. We spent more time at the beach, which was larger than the beaches in many resorts. Getting lounge chairs in the shade was a bit of a challenge but we managed to get what we needed every day. The bars at the pool and beach were easy access. There never were long lines waiting for a drink, which is something we've experienced at other all-inclusives. The quality of the drinks were just ok and there was less variety than I would have liked. The room was not fancy, but clean and fine. The maids did a good job of keeping them clean. We used up all our bottled water the first day so I requested that the maid leave more. She left triple of what we initially had, so we were set. (Thanks to the maid for being attentive to our request!) The staff was very friendly, which I consider a big positive. I wish I spoke Spanish because communications were sometimes difficult. But that's my problem because, after all, it is the Dominican Republic. The food was just average. The variety was large enough but much of it was mediocre. The group I was with considered the "Mexican" restaurant as the best restaurant we went to. I particularly liked the octopus ceviche. There was a lot of steak, and though many in my group considered them too chewy, I thought they were very flavorful. My one suggestion would be for them to have more Dominican food, especially in the buffets. I found stewed beef tripe one day at the lunch buffet. That, along with some rice and beans made for a good lunch. I would have liked other Dominican style stews and fish dishes. The desserts were not very inspiring and lacked variety. Overall, the positives outweighed the negatives and all in all it was a pretty nice vacation.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
IberostarHotelsRD, Quality Manager Iberostar República Dominicana at Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Dear Guest,
First at all, on behalf of Mr. Amando Pozo, hotel Manager, we thank you for taking time to write some comments about your experience at Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus and for choosing our hotel for your vacations.
We appreciate your motivating comments about the excellent service of our staff members, the beauty of our premises and the variety of our gastronomy. In Iberostar we are committed to provide the best service to our valuable costumers. Likewise, we have shared your suggestions about the quality and flavor of our gastronomy with our Executive chef so he can work with our team to deliver the level of service expected by our guests.
We are looking forward to welcome you back and remain at your disposition for further assistance.
New York, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

This resort was great. The nature present here is beautiful and sometimes just walking from your room to dinner was a mesmerizing experience. The rooms were ok and had no luxurious amenities. However, the room just like the rest of the resort were SPOTLESS. By far the nicest part of this resort is the beautiful beach with the calm waters. Food was good, nothing special but very fresh and an abundance of tropical fruits that you will never eat in the States.

I can only think of two downsides:
#1- There is nothing to do at night- If you like to party and stay out late then you will be truly disappointed. The shows are ok but not something you wanna do every night. The disco plays the same music every night and is not that entertaining. There is no casino on premises. However there is a local casino 2 min walk out of the resort or 20 second shuttle ride. The casino is a mixture of local and people from other hotels at a ratio of 1/5. Great casino with its own disco in the back. (disco full of locals). The walk is decently safe although can feel intimidating in the dark. The shuttle and the casino are safe. We chose to walk a few times instead of waiting for the shuttle.

#2: You are allowed limited reservations to a la carte restaurants. In my opinion this is a MAJOR issue. Often the buffet was mediocre but the a la carte places for great. Come on Iberostar! Your competitors Dreams La Romana who are 10 min away offers unlimited visits to a la carte at first come first serve.

I would recommend this hotel but would probably not come back unless there was a good deal

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
IberostarHotelsRD, Quality Manager Iberostar República Dominicana at Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Dear guest,
In the name of Hotel Manager, Mr. Amando Pozo, we want to thank you for choosing Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus for your holidays and for your time when posting a review on Tripadvisor.
We would like to express you how pleased we are to acknowledge that you had a wonderful holiday due to the friendliness of our staff members, our varied gastronomy and the beauty and cleanness of our premises. In Iberostar one of our guiding principles is to upkeep our premises. Our Housekeeping crew, maintenance and gardeners are happy to know your positive valuation about their service.
We will be happy to welcome you back again, feel free to contact us to help you in your next visit.
Yours Sincerely,

Been to Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus? Share your experiences!