“EXCELLENT VACATION” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Be Live Canoa

You added Be Live Canoa to your Saves list
Be Live Canoa
3.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playa Dominicus, Bayahibe 2973, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #8 of 12 Hotels in Bayahibe
Chicago, Illinois
“EXCELLENT VACATION”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2012

Thank you for an excellent & restful vacation. I have been staying at this resort for 4 years now. There is a new general manager Christiano, who has already made improvments to the pool area, the restaurants, food and service. He also annouced that they will begin remodeling the rooms once peak season is over. The entire resort is very clean, every employee is friendly and tries to be helpful. Rooms are clean, always plenty to eat and the drinks are cold. The spa is very nice! Special thank you to rosa, catherine and ingrit in the main buffet restaurant, Victor and Gloria in the lobby bar, Olga in the brazilian restaurant.
I am already planning my next visit. THANKS AGAIN!!!!!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
  • Polish first
Norfolk NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2012

There 3th to the 12th and had a very enjoyable stay. We have been all over the island and rank belive right up there with the best. Room cleaning was the best, all the bartenders were great, the grounds were well kept. The biggest suprise was the food, it was really good and was well displayed,,, I would rate this resort 8 out of 10 we have stayed at.

Room Tip: Stayed in the 300 area quiet and close to beach and buffet
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Aurora, Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2012

We want to compliment the animation team for entertaining and mixing with the guests every single minute of each day making everyone feel welcome. Their names are Banana, Carey, Salami, Maria, Coca Cola and Christina. Their friendliness and inviting spirit got everyone to their feet for dancing, water sports and dancing anywhere, anytime. They are a very important part of the resort and give it the personality that makes you want to come back just to be with their energy again.
On a scale of 1-10, they easily score a 10 or above.
Great job guys and gals.
Pat and Fred from Canada

Room Tip: Very little english so if you speak french, italian or spanish, you won't have a problem. Engli...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Woodbridge, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2012

Received a very warm welcome by the the staff who offered us drinks while our files where checked. My first impact of this resort was excellent because it was very clean and the people very friendly. We were taken to our junior suites to see if we where OK with them. My friends who travelled with me did want first floor thats where they are located, we expressed our request and they said that will give us the Panthouse on the third floor but we would have to wait till the next day for it. We did not mind the waiting and yes we got the apartment #450 that accomodates 4 and another room close to it for my brother and his wife. The manager invited us for dinner at their very exclusive A la carte restaurant. I have been travelling in the Dominican for the past 10 years and I have to say that Be Live Canoa is one of the best. Restaurants very good, the Italian one fantastic, accomodation more than expected as they are renovated and kept very clean at all times, the linen changed regularly, the animation made sure we were not bored and brought in professionals for the shows plus their own. All in all I have to say that our group of 6 for the first week and 10 the second had a excellent time and will definitely go back. The only shadow on this vacation was put on by "West Jet" on the way back as I have special needs because of health issues and have medical certificate that states I need seats with extra leg room. When I approced the check in on a wheelchair was given seat 2F asked if 1F was available and she rudely answered if I did not like my seat I can go to back, I nicely asked again to check for 1F but more rude than before said "do you want to go to the back?" what makes me mad is the fact that when I boarded the plain the seat was available and was empty. At this point I am not sure why West Jet does not take care of passengers with special needs in the same manner the other Airlines do by assigning those seats at the time of reservation to avoid problems. I have to say that I would have excellent memories from this trip if West Jet had treated me and the rest of people like myself with respect. I ask all of you who have special needs please write to West Jet to change their rules to comply with the other airlines to assign these special seats to passangers at the time of purchase and not at the airport to find out on the day you travel if you have it, especially if the person at the check in does not care.

Calgary, Alberta, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 29, 2012

Stay was from Feb 3-17th 2012.
This was our 5 trip to Dominican, 11th to all inclusive type resorts. This was the worst of all the ones we have been to.

Let me start off by saying, Be Live is not great and there are better for the price. My wife and I are not the type to complain if we are the last to get checked in. We go grab a drink, and start to unwind. We generally take it as it comes and know these trips are what you make of them. We do speak some Spanish, which at this resort is helpful, as the staff speak mostly French or Italian not much English spoken by resort staff at all.

We started our trip off by not being able to book in and were taken to a less expensive resort for the first three days. When we asked why, there was no response, and we were told in a rude fashion, to go wait by the bell boys and a taxi would pick us up. When we were finally taken back three days later, at 4 in the afternoon, we were asked to sign a release to not go back against Be Live in exchange for a bottle of Rum and a Lobster dinner. (we did not). When I said I would not sign, the response from the check in clerk was "I already put the bottle of rum in the room". Not exactly the start we wanted to a trip we had booked with friends 4 months in advance.

Rooms were clean and the maid service was Ok.

Food was typical fare and always able to find something. Again, nothing outstanding.
Service at the Main buffet was terrible to say the least. Had to search for coffee EVERY morning. The wait staff were more concerned about clearing tables then bringing coffee. The evenings were much the same, not being able to get water, beer, wine, ANYTHING.

Grounds were nice, but the grounds keepers were scarce. My wife pointed out a piece of garbage by the pool that stayed there the whole time.

Staff were generally disengaged, not rude, but not the happy go lucky persons we have beed used to in trips to the Dominican in the past.

Bar staff were the same, but came around after tipping. I like to tip when I get good service, not to get good service.

Pool was Ok to. Be warned that the swim up bar is NOT a swim up bar, or at least not anymore. It is full of plants and only on the dry side can you get drinks.

Beach area was very nice and water was the clear, calm water, that you expect from being on the Caribbean side. Much nicer beach then the first resort we were shipped to.

Positives were... the chairs were plentiful and always able to get one, beach or pool.
Same goes for the bar at night, did not have a issue getting a table. Mini Fridge was very cold, which is a nice treat.

Mexican was a 8 out of 10. Japanese was ok too, although we had the same Chef both times and our "show" was not near as good as a couple of the other Chefs put on.

Brazilian steak house was great, my wife might disagree, but I really liked it.

Entertainment was above average. The entertainment staff worked hard to get everyone involved.

To sum up, when we got back to Canada we talked to West Jet about the resort and they confirmed they are not going to offer Be Live, as a resort next year. As I found out, we were not the only ones that had a issue.

If you are still making a decision move on to the next resort. If you have already book, you won't get sick, you will get a tan, the drinks are cold(if you can get them) but Be Live should be rated as a much cheaper, lower star resort.

Waterloo, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2012

Travelled February 20-27th on a girlie getaway and I would give this hotel a solid 3.5 stars but not a 4 star.

The staff were all lovely and very friendly and always had a smile and warm welcome. The grounds are very nice and well maintained (I would actually give the grounds 4.5 stars).

The rooms are very small but kept clean. The bathrooms were updated, as was some of the room decor but the rest of the furnishings could use some updating and the bed was not the most comfortable at all. The balcony furniture could be much nicer as well. I know many will say `but home much time do you spend in your room`which is true, but a comfortable bed is important because when I am in the room it is usually to sleep and it is nice to spend time in the morning with a coffee lounging on your balcony before you start your day.

I have been on much nicer beaches. I entered in a few different places and all were somewhat rocky - personally I prefer the Punta Cana beaches. Also a couple times while we were there they had people from the cruise ships docked nearby come and use the beach for the day - it goes from a nice quiet place to a very crowded area in a very short period of time.

The pool was nice and they worked hard at keeping the surface clear of the debris that the wind blew in. The pool bar is not being utilized to its full potential and the `sit down`part is actually full of plants. If you are sitting there they will walk over periodically and serve you but the whole fun pool bar experience you find at so many other resorts is non existant and as a result the stools were most always unoccupied.

The food was the biggest downfall of the resort and this and the room amenities is where the resort is only a 3.5 star in my opinion. Buffet was usually cool-warm, overcooked and selection was somewhat limited - lots of items spread out but do you really need 3 kinds of potatoes. The Mexican ala carte was actually pretty good except for one night when I ended up finding a fairly large pebble (not quite rock size but decent sized none the less) in my food. The Brazilian was overcooked and most of the meats tasted the same - the sides were nothing special. The beach lunch buffet was the same every day and really quite tiring after awhile - would love to see them bring some fresh kitchen talent in and see a total overhaul on the dining in all areas.

We got a very good deal on the resort but to go back it would have to be even better. The grounds are beautiful, you can watch the sunset, staff is wonderful but the rooms, the beach and the food are lacking.

Ottawa, Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2012

We stayed here from Feb. 13-20,2012. The location is outstanding. Beautiful clean beach and never a problem to find a lounging chair, fantastic gardens perfectly groomed, super clean premises including the public restrooms, great room with all the modern convienences including, amazing pool, terrific security, excellent food, outstanding entertainment and more sun and fun then you can cram into a day.
The staff are extremely friendly and helpful. I read some reviews that were critical about the lack of english. If you choose to go here, please be aware that this resort caters to the Italian,German, French and French Canadian travellers, as well as english. The majority of guests are not english speaking, hence a possible source for some displeasure. We did not feel out of place at all. We never had a problem communicating or getting an answer to any question. Part of the fun in travelling is trying to learn the language and culture of the country. Remember, the whole world does not have to speak english. Try learning a bit of spanish. It doen't take much....Hola=hello, pour favor=please, ron=rum and cerveza=beer, gracias=thank you. This should get you started. Hand signals, patience and attitude should get you through your stay without any problem.

The food is excellent, with something for every taste. Try the specialty restaurants, they are free and well worth it particularly the Brazillian and Mexican ones.

And by all means, please don't overlook the nightly entertainment at the theater. The animators go to incredible lengths to entertain you, put on some of the best shows I have ever seen at a resort. The entertainment caliber is simply outstanding.

This is a hot climate where the pace of life is different form what you may be used to. You are on vacation, don't stress yourself out over little things. Enloy yourself...this is a great place to do so.

Room Tip: Ground floor is the best
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Be Live Canoa? Share your experiences!