“Dream trips during our stay at La Romana” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #8 of 30 Activities in Bayahibe
Type: Boat Tours, Adventure
More attraction details
Owner description: Deep Sea and Bottom Fishing trips specialist in Bayahibe/La Romana. We also do private tours to the islands.For a great day out..Come and fish with captain PEPE recognised as the best fisherman in the area. Multilingual staff with more than 20 years experience.We are based in Bayahibe Beach at Cyber Cafe Coco in Bayahibe
Southam, United Kingdom
“Dream trips during our stay at La Romana”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

Where do i start,initially made contact for advice/info with 'Bigbite' aka Sara regarding the fishing.
After a few days chilling in DR,a short stroll from Dreams found myself and my wife outside the Bahibe fishing centre,ok not being unkind to Sarah and Pepe but its very much in keeping with the style of local buildings!!,but i was greeted with a warm affectionate welcome,whereby i then proceeded to book a full days deep sea-fishing on the boat 'Sara' for myself, as well as the island excursion trip for mysel and wife.
The deep-sea trip was the best trip i have ever had!!!! Pepe tried so hard to help me catch fish and did not clock watch,sticking rigidly to times.Due to his enthusiasm and friendliness i had a magnificent trip.We had to work at it though as for a major part of the day,i had caught a few tuna and a couple of 'cudas',but enjoyed it none the less!!!thats fishing!!!!,however,on the return back,still fishing and with Pepe not giving up,i managed to catch two large Mahi-Mahi (40 to 50lb),this in itself was fantastic,but then i managed to fulfill a life-long dream after many years of trying to catch a FISH OF A LIFETIME----- a Marlin (approx 90 - 100 lb).Pepe was as excited as i was!!!!!!,arriving back in the dark,we were met by his lovely kids,who took photos of us with the fish!!!!
Three days later,my wife and i experienced the island trip,along with ten other holiday makers!!!
Had a great time,witnessed the beauty of the DR,as well as seeing first-hand local life,Pepe made the trip educational as well as fun!!! He cooked up lovely Lobster,Mahi-Mahi (caught by myself),chicken etc on the BBQ.
I would definately recommend this trip at the Bahibe fishing centre, if you would like an excursion that shows the natural way of life in the DR and not a commercalised 'booze cruise'.
Thanks Sara and Pepe for making our holiday!!!!!!!!!

Visited March 2013
bigbite, Owner at Bayahibe Fishing Centre, responded to this review, March 23, 2013
Coz

Many thanks for your great review.
We really happy to hear that this was a life experience for you.
We haven't forgot our promise about having as a model on our next bill board.

We look forward to meet you on your next visit

Greetings from paradise!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Natchitoches, Louisiana
16 attraction reviews
“Huge Disappointment”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

Let me begin by stating that the website is misleading, you will not be experiencing a “taylor made” trip, and their idea of a “private charter” is exactly the same as ASPLABA’s: pre-set routes with all the same stops, but for a higher price. To be fair, ASPLABA boats do not have shades, nor English-speaking guides/captains. However, even though it was assured when booking, we did not get an English speaking guide/captain through this place either, and that was the main draw to book with them. So the several areas we slowed, or stopped for no apparent reason will always be a wonder, and asking anything was nearly impossible, even equipped with the scrappy basics of the language.

The booking process should have been simple, we knew what we wanted. However, there seemed to be some sort of serious communication barrier over email. Asking very plainly for a half-day trip to one island on a specific date led to all sorts of confusion and HEAVY steering toward another (to us-undesirable, over-visited) island. It soon became clear that there was no flexibility even to skip the normal stops on the way to the island. Sigh. As if that weren’t exhausting enough, we were then booked for the wrong day, correct date, and that held its own new series of challenges to straighten out.

So the arrangement was made, a deposit paid (through paypal, convenient) and we were to meet the day before to finalize. Except no one was to be found, local inquires led to inform us that no one had been there all day. Great. Upon return several hours later, we met Sara, who we had exchanged emails with and communicated verbally in English just fine. She promptly tried once again, for the um-teenth time, to steer us away from the island trip we had researched and planned and looked forward to, and toward the standard Saona trip. First there was snorkeling there, then there wasn’t, then the sea was too choppy, then it should be fine, and once again the hard-sell on Saona. This was tiring, we thought we’d just come by, set the time and pay the balance. She showed us pictures of the island, the standard set you’ll find on the internet, and we held fast to our desire.

The day of…we met Edwardo, a kindly (Spanish speaking only) boatman for our trip, who clearly had instructions on where to take us. We stopped along the way at all the places we had asked NOT to stop and a place or two we’re not sure why (communication barrier), finally arriving at the island Catalinita, where we were dropped on a stretch of very sharp rock bedded water leading up to a 20 foot wide by 6 foot steep beach. Wow. That was our stop. Now I can site you sources (multiple guide books and traveler experiences) until I am blue in the face that talk about Catalinita’s “coral reef in about 2 meters of water that makes for great snorkeling,” the infamous Shark Point, beaches “littered with large conch shells,” where you can “maybe see an elusive manatee.” This experience was nothing of the sort. Edwardo did his best and we went to another spot since there was absolutely nothing at all at the spot we were dropped, and snorkeled from the boat, but it was not near the island, and certainly disappointing. This was to be one of the great highlights of the trip to DR and it was a complete let-down.
My advice: go with ASPLABA, set it up when you get down there, their little shed is right next to the overpriced fruit stand. Because even if you get everything in writing with this company before you go, it may be a complete mess when you arrive. And do not regard the information on the website, there is no freedom to pick and choose what you would like to do or where you would like to go, it is all pre-set with no variation, same as ASPLABA. As for our trip, I don’t understand what happened, it certainly would not have supported the pictures she showed us for the Catalinita trip-nothing like it at all.

Visited February 2013
Thank you for your review.

I am actually very surprised about your comments.

To start with, when you contact us, you didn't contact us through our webpage email, but through the taxi boat services email that belongs to ASPLABA. In theory, this review should not even be here as we have different businesses.

As you contacted us requiring a taxi boat services you knew very well what you were getting for your trip.
We exchanged over 20 emails and when we met, I did explain all the options to you again. You also knew that your captain was non English speaker and you agreed as you said you speak some Spanish. YOU AGREED TO ALL.
If you wanted an English guide we would arrange a National Guide to go with you, but you did not ask for one.

ASPLABA prices are fixed. We don't offer any higher prices than the standard prices. You may be got cheaper offers from desperate people. That is you choice.

My website has pictures of the fishing which is my main activity and Saona island which is my second activity. I don't know about what pictures you are talking about as I don't have neither Catalina or Catalinita on my webpage.

I am sorry that you thought that Catalinita island was different.
You were advised that Catalinita is not the best choice for a great beach and you decided to go there to snorkel and you were told that you will be taking to and old pier by Saona island for another snorkelling spot . you also agreed to that.

It is nobody's fault if the sea was choppy. In fact, you knew that and you decided to go ahead with the trip

The captain tries to please our customers. Regardless of the luck of communication between you two, he will slow down in points of real interest to see if he spots an iguana to show you or another animal. He also gave you the choice in case you change your mind of getting in the natural swimming pool to search starfish. If the captain went over a minute to realise that you want to continue and skip that stop I apologise for that.

About my office, the day we arranged to meet, I was at the office. If you decide to go any other time, do not expect to find me every day as we are a small tours company and we go ourselves to the tours. Most of the small tour companies in the area work like that.

About the date get in it wrong, you changed the date of the trip yourself twice. We have everything in writing in our emails so do please verify them

Overall, I realise that you expected something else from the destination and the sea conditions were not great when you did the trip.
I would recommend you to do a deeper research about your choices, as seems you get a wrong idea or you get the wrong information.

I realise that you wrote another review for a local restaurant expecting to eat a great steak.
I seriously don't know where you get your information from, but meat in this country is horrible which proofs me you your research is inaccurate.

It is obvious that your review is to harm rather that to advise other travellers for no reason.

I hope next time goes better for you
Cincinnati, Ohio
“You need to fish with Pepe”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Simply said fantastic people and experience. Everything from scheduling, coordinating, booking, and pricing was clear with no gimmicks. Always a concern when booking from USA, but no problem here.

Me and two friends spent two full days of fishing with Pepe on the Sara I. We had a great time. Pepe is a true fisherman. He was born to fish and I think he wanted to catch fish and enjoyed the trip as much as us. He works hard to find the fish, does not watch the clock. Pepe lives to fish. He is also a fun person to fish with and I feel like I learned more about ocean fishing than with any other charters I have been on.

The only note of advice I would include is that I had not fished on a small boat such as the Sara. Trueyly enjoyed the fishing and it felt more like fishing that trolling around on a big boat doing nothing. However, because the boat is smaller we did get soaking wet with salt water. No big deal, but if you are not expecting this it could be a suprise.

Bottom line is if you are looking for a great fishing adventure with a great fisherman, Pepe is your man.

Caught some good Mahi Mahi in the 30+ pound ranges as well as several Tuna, and a nice king fish. Cooked up the Mahi right in the resteraunt next door to Bayahibe.

Would do again and again the best part of our trip to DR was fishing with Pepe.

Visited February 2013
bigbite, Propietario at Bayahibe Fishing Centre, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Many thanks for your great review!!!!
We are glad that you can appreciate the great passion that we have for fishing!!!!!!!!!!!
It was a pleasure to have you with us
We love to see you again on your next fishing trip!!!!!!!!!!!!
Parlin, New Jersey
13 attraction reviews
“The highlight of my trip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

Walked from Dreams over to Bayayibe along the beach and took a catamaran to Saona Island which I always do when I go to the DR. Lots of fun and dancing until we get there. Then back on speed boats to the middle of the ocean where you can see star fish beautiful water is about 4 feet deep its a natural pool but in the ocean unbelievable. Also food is part of the deal great lunch.

Visited January 2013
bigbite, Propietario at Bayahibe Fishing Centre, responded to this review, February 17, 2013
Many thanks for sharing your experience.
We are glad that you enjoyed your time and we hope to meet you again in near future

Regards
Divide
“PePe and Sara are the best!!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

Enjoyed an all day charter on Sara ! with Pepe that we arranged via thier website in advance. Caught bonito, barricuda and a king fish on the deep line. Wonderful lunch on Soana Island with bbq lobster. Then the afternoon was handfishing with the yo yo reel - "traditional style." Pepe hooked a cuda and I brought it in by hand. Their hand fishing feels like fly fishing for us from Colorado. PePe and I got into a hand fishing contest in some flats between the island and the mainland. Yes I lost! He is quite a fisherman! We caught 30 fish in all!!!! My wife was aboard and enjoyed the day! She's not as serious a fisher person, but enjoyed the day as well. Also Sara went out of her way and helped us book a show at Altos De Chavon in the Casa De Campo Hotel. This is a must see! She not only booked it, but arranged and ensured ground transportation to and from. We were very well looked after by the person Sara booked our transportation with. That was an extremely nice touch to top off our vacation!!!! I hope to one day be back to out fish Pepe!!!!!

Visited February 2013
It was a pleasure to have you and we are glad that you enjoyed your trip and show in Dominican Repubic.
Many thanks for your review and we hope to meet you another year

Regards