“Beautiful Family-Friendly Resort” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Cadaques Caribe Resort & Villas

Save Saved
You added Cadaques Caribe Resort & Villas to your Saves list
Cadaques Caribe Resort & Villas
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Boulevard Americanus Dominicus, Bayahibe, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #4 of 12 hotels in Bayahibe
Fort Lauderdale, Florida, United States
“Beautiful Family-Friendly Resort”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2012

We just spent a week here with our two kids, ages 5 and 7. This is one of the most beautiful and well maintained properties we have ever stayed at. There is a fabulous water park and also an ocean playground for the children, plenty of comfortable lounge chairs, and no crowds. The staff, especially Peggy and Francisco, were incredibly friendly and helped us with any problems we had. Halfway through our stay we upgraded from a hotel room to a two-bedroom apartment for a very reasonable difference. Highly recommended, especially if you're looking for a quiet, family-friendly vacation.

Room Tip: If you have kids, pay a little more for the 2-bedroom apartments.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Carmen C, General Manager at Cadaques Caribe Resort & Villas, responded to this review, March 30, 2012
Dear Sherry,
Thank you for your great review! Peggy and Fransico very happy that they were able to make your stay wonderful. I was too. We look forward to have you back soon, and please let your friends know, of our jewel in the Diminican Republic. Thank you again.

231 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Grimstad, Norway
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2012

If you like a relaxed, laid back holiday on a white beach with turquoise water and you dont have to be entertained all the time, I am happy to recommend Cadaques Caribe Resort. It is a wonderful consept with a small hotel (56rooms) and houses with apartments, gym, spa, shop,medical service available; there are also wonderful pools for small children and adults . There are possibilities for watersport. The rooms are well eqipped, all with a balcony. The atmosphere and service is friendly and personal. The area is very beautiful, clean and well kept. The kitchen is not perfect, but we loved spending our holiday with Dominican families and some Europeans at this beautiful place, instead of visiting luxury tourist ghettos (which we seen some of).This was our best and most relaxing Caribbean holiday ever.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Carmen C, General Manager at Cadaques Caribe Resort & Villas, responded to this review, March 31, 2012
Dear Mr& Ms Wilsen,
Thank you for your kind comment about Cadaques, and glad to hear you had a great time and a relaxing vacation with us.I have spoke to the chef regarding your feedback. We look forward to have you back next year. Best regards.
U.S.A.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2012

I really wanted to love this place - I stayed with my 18 year old son for 6 nights using a Groupon. The beach is gorgeous. The pools are gorgeous. The grounds are well-tended and clean. The resort is quiet (a bit too quiet - although we were apparently visiting during their "high" season, it was almost eerily dead, with many services not available).

To provide perspective for this review - we are well-traveled (and undoubtedly spoiled) Americans. For the price I paid (about $150/night for two, with free breakfast using our Groupons), it was a pretty good deal. I spent ~$60 more per day on lunch/dinner. If I were paying in the $250+ range per night for the room, however, I would have thought the services were inadequate. So it really depends on what type of deal you book. Also important - we did not have a rental car, so were pretty much stuck on the resort for all of our food, entertainment, etc. (with the exception of a one day excursion off property, which is addressed below).

I chose Cadaques specifically because it is not an "all inclusive" (I've stayed at a couple of those before), and I was looking forward to not being tied down to mediocre buffet-style meals, seating times, etc. - the resort's web site says there are 3 different places to eat (the Ocean Grill, a Wine Bar, and a Cafe) - as it turns out, the Wine Bar was never open during our stay, and the Cafe had no capability to charge to the room or accept a credit card, which was really inconvenient, as I only had a few hundred dollars with me in cash.

The comments included in all of the reviews previous to this one are legitimate, and your experience will depend on what you expect. It appears the resort is trying to attract more Americans/Canadians/Norther Europeans. I'm not sure, however, they're quite ready for Americans - there are still kinks in the hotel services. The staff are friendly, but most do not speak English. The only place you can get food and charge to your room (or a credit card) is the Ocean Grill. The pizza there is great, and we also enjoyed the pastas and grilled lobster. Breakfasts are mediocre. Meals on our last day (which was a Monday) were basically inedible - I think there was a different chef on duty. The pina coladas were good (they do use fresh pineapple), but all other cocktails (rum punches, etc) were too sweet. My advice: stick to bottled beer and pizza and you'll be happy. Some variety in meals would have been nice - but if you don't bring a big wad of cash, you'll be limited to the Ocean Grill.

The on-site shop has a very limited selection (no books or magazines, so make sure you bring your own), and again, only takes cash. Despite reassurances in advance from the hotel staff that we could use US dollars and credit cards, life is much easier if you bring Dominican Pesos.

Our room was nice, but I had to call in Maintenance twice to fix the toilet. Housekeeping only restocked the shampoo and soap twice during our stay. Towel service was mixed - sometimes there would be a bathmat and hand towels, and sometimes not. Had to ask. The showers are "european" style (e.g. handheld) with poor water pressure and temperature control - it was either blazing hot or cold - not much in between.

The Children's water park is impressive, but it was only turned on a couple of times during our 6 night stay, for a few hours at a time. Great tubular water slides, but watch your kids - the supervision was inadquate - they don't make sure kids are out of the way before letting others go down the slide. The attendant yelled at my son when he plowed into a girl who simply stopped at sat there at end of the slide -- the kid at the top can't see if the other kids have gotten out of the way before they go down - it was a pretty unpleasant altercation (with the attendance yelling in Spanish and me yelling in English). On the weekends, it appears they allow "day passes" for the water park pool, so you get a local crowd. During the week, however, when only resort guests were around, it was almost never turned on.

The folks who own time shares at the resort are mostly Italian, as noted in previous reviews. This is a great opportunity if you speak Italian.

The on-site doctor (at least, it was a guy in scrubs) does not speak English -- I had a difficult time making myself understood when the dread montezuma's revenge was in force. As they say, don't drink the water, and be careful what you eat when off property.

The Spa - I did get a massage, and it was OK. No need for an appointment - just walked in. Again, the place was pretty dead.

The resort appears to have lots of vacant shop space - there is an arts/craft store, but once again, not open during our stay.

Check-in and check-out was no problem, so they seem to have that worked out at this point. There is no information at the hotel front desk about activities on the island, so you're on your own in that respect. The internet service (which was free with our deal) was fine - not good enough to download movies from Itunes, but sufficient for researching tours on the island, etc.

I wanted to book a tour of Saona Island with Seavis Tours (they get the best reviews) - first one guy at the front desk called said Seavis was totally booked...I went back to the front desk in the evening, and a different guy called, and told me he had secured a tour with Seavis for the next day -- but when they showed up to pick us up, it was a totally different company (apparently Seavis has the contract with Cadaques for these types of tours, but often the front desk staff will book with a "pirate" company - I'm assuming they must get some type of kick-back for this). And these are expensive day tours - $100 per person, so I wanted the tour to be with Seavis. Luckily, the hotel manager was in the lobby when the pirate company showed up to pick us up -- he sent them away and called Seavis personally to get us on a tour the next day -- I was grateful for his help, but annoyed that I had to go to this extent to get things straightened out - just glad I didn't get in the van with the first company.

It's really a shame that more services are not available - with the beautiful setting and nice grounds, this place could be making money hand-over-fist. I would have indulged in much more shopping, drinking and dining, if I could have charged to the room or used my credit card.

One plus - not once was I approached about buying a time-share.

Summary - if you speak Spanish, you'll undoubtedly have a better experience -- I agree with the reviewer who said it was just "too much work to relax" here. I was constantly worried about running out of cash, getting different food than what I ordered (example: my son is a vegetarian and ordered mozarella sticks - sounded safe - but they came with ham wrapped around them, which was not specified in the menu), or just generally communicating with the staff. If you're looking for a beautiful, quiet place, this might be just your cup of tea, but make sure you bring your own sunscreen, books and plenty of pesos! It would be a great place to crash if you have a rental car, and can get around the island for a wider choice of restaurants, activities, etc. on your own. You might also have a better experience if you rent one of the condos, and can cook some of your own meals.

My son loved the place - he's more mellow than I am (and was not footing the bill, I might add). He was just happy with the beach and the quiet.

Room Tip: Book a room with a balcony.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Carmen C, General Manager at Cadaques Caribe Resort & Villas, responded to this review, March 9, 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write this review, and I can only say that I was sorry that you did not have the best experince with us , unlike many other guest, that had it...... I have already spoken to the managers involved, and we continue to make adjustments and improvements on all the issues you mentioned. I am glad you like te Saona trip, and our facilities as well, and I am glad that you are feeling better....I took you to the doctors office that morning. So please bring your son back , and next time around I am sure your experince will be a better one. You have my card, so please feel free to call me for any future reservations for you or your family, and will be sure to cater to them accordingly. The employes are taking mandatory english classes.....Thank you
Dusseldorf, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2012

Unfortunately, we could only spend one night here, but went away with an (almost) perfect impression.

The resort itself is very beautifully and tastefully arranged, much more so than just about any beach resort you will be able to find in Europe. Same goes for the rooms (though the Europeans arent lagging behind as much in this regard). Internet is free and reasonably fast, the beach (and the whole resort) is not at all crowded with plenty of sunbeds (and palms to supply shade) for everyone. They have some watertoys and a little waterpark inside the resort, which I suppose is nice for kids. Most of all, the place is significantly cheaper than some of the other resorts in Bayahibe (which I havent been to, but have a hard time imagining that they have significantly more to offer than the cadaques).

My few points of criticism are as follows:
- Restaurant choice in the hotel is limited, and the food, while ok, is really nothing more than ok. This is the point where I think some improvement would pay off the most.
- The weight lifting machines in the gym could use a little oiling
- They play music at the beach. Luckily, it is rather quiet if you choose a sunbed farther away, but I still find this annoying. I prefer the sound of the wind and the waves (which I dont have at home) over the blaring of music that might not even conform to my personal taste. Besides, anyone who DOES want to listen to music can bring their mp3 player.
- 3 types of sugar in the room but no creamer to go along with the (complimentary) coffee? C'mon.

Again, though, these are all more or less minor issues and pale in comparison to the beauty of this place and its surroundings. Definitely recommended for a somewhat affordable beach holiday in the Dominican Republic!

Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the tine to give us and give this almost perfect impression.......and you are right we are not , but we stive to be, for our guest. You. I did mention to the apropiate departmnets on the issues you mentioned and our Excutive Chef is very aware of her goals for our guest. We look forward to have you back. Thank you
Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2012

I most say that the food in Cadaques is the best we've had in years ! The CEVICHE ! you have to try it !!!!!! the VIEW AWESOME !! if you have kids .... this is the right PLACE !
DONT FORGET TO ASK FOR THE CHEF>>>> LAURA !!! She is the BEST !!!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest,
I am glad you are back home safe.....It was a pleasure to have you are as our guest, and to read that you truly enjoied our facilities and services. The food was great, and I am glad, since we continue to make improvements in all areas.......I am glad that Francisco made was very helpfull, and that I was able to directly create a better experince for you. Thank you, Thank you for being our guest, and hope to have you back soon.
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2012

very clean,quiet,relaxing place. if you are not looking for crowds of people,loud music and entertainment then this place is definitely for you.We've been to many resorts in Dominican, including in PertoPlata,PuntaCana,and they all look alike.This one is different.First of all it is new,built about 2 years ago,in a style of a little village.Most of the suites are privately owned condos.Only one building of 56 rooms operates as hotel.Property is very well maintained.The manager of the resort Mr Ronald Maidens was there every day(even on his day off),to make sure everything is ok.He speeks well english (actually he is half canadian) and can address any of your concerns.Our thanks to Francisco at the front desk,who was very helpfull and made our stay more pleasant.Now food is great.You do not have the quantity of typical all inclusive resort,but the quality is there.They have a good chef..There was never a crowd in resaurant as anywhere else in the resort.Their bar is great.They were making pina-colada with real pieces of pine-apple.Coffe and espresso were very good. they have a store on the property were you can buy your own alcohol at prices better than at the other resorts .Rooms are clean with AC,fridge,safe TV. Bedding is very good The only complain- people shutting their doors loudly which resonates in the court yard of the building. Now, the beach is excelent,white sand,good quality beach chairs.There are plenty of them available under the sun or in the shadow.The beach was only about 1/3 full at any time.Beach towels of a nice quality always smell fresh.The water of the sea is clean,sandy bottom,shallow area with inflatable slides for kids. Huge pool and water slides that operate daily

Room Tip: some rooms have balcony where you can sit, relax,have a drink and listen to the birds
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2012

I like the colonial style of the buildings, it makes you feel like you're in a quiet village, perfect for rest. Te view is awesome! There's a good feeling in the air. The waterslide is a blast! I was scared at first because of the height, but is safe and definitely a must-do of the hotel. I enjoyed it a lot!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to tell us how much you enjoied Cadaques. We are always listening to our guest and your comments very well received. Thank you for being our guest.

Been to Cadaques Caribe Resort & Villas? Share your experiences!