“We had the best experience as freshly-certified open water divers with Sharky's Crew :)” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Diving Dominican Republic

Improve this listing
Certificate of Excellence 2014
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Canadian owned, family ran PADI certified dive boat operation in Bayahibe, on the Caribbean coast of Dominican Republic, specializing in private scuba diving, scuba lessons and trips. The schedule is done completely by the clients (weather / sea conditions apply). Note: We take reservations on first come first served basis, no credit cards accepted.
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

I am not surprised that Sharky's Dive Shop maintains 100% "excellent" reviews here. From the planning stages with Denise, to the actual dives, and everything in between, I have not one complaint about my family's experiences with this amazing establishment. My 16-year-old son and I were planning on going for our open water certs this past summer. I reached out to several people and did a great deal of research, and it was Denise who maintained steady contact with me and gave me honest, objective information and feedback about all of our choices. It was based on this information that we decided to obtain our certs at home and then do our first ocean dives with Sharky's (although doing the checkout dives with Sharky's would have been an incredible, safe, fun and stress-free experience, I personally would have been stressing with good ol' "test anxiety" on vacation, so this worked out best for me.) What I gathered from my first phone conversation with Denise, and throughout all of my email contact with her, was that she and her husband set out to provide a unique service to folks visiting their area who wanted to have a very personalized diving/snorkeling/boating experience, and they have successfully maintained this goal.

I knew that as a brand new diver, I was going to have a certain amount of anxiety about being certified and therefore "capable" of diving with my buddy, but not yet having the experience to really feel like we could handle any possible situation that may come our way at the bottom of the sea, and therefore I wanted us to have close supervision on our first dives. I did not want to be one of several other divers with one dive master who may or may not be able to keep a close eye on us. Denise assured me that we would have exactly what we needed and asked for, as they cater to private groups, and that we did! We planned 4 dives, two per morning, with my other son and my husband snorkeling above. We had such an amazing experience with each dive, that we added on two more dives when they were able to fit us in during an afternoon, and I wanted MORE!!! Nick (instructor) and Pierre (dive master in training) were incredible with us - they were both knowledgeable and experienced, kind, patient, funny. We could not have asked for a better team and I could not have felt more relaxed and safe for my first dives. I was anxious leading up to the first dive, but Vlad's humor and explanation of the dives helped, and then being on the boat with Captain Gato and Nick and Pierre was exciting. I knew that once I was down at the bottom I would be fine, and sure enough I was. I felt like I was "home". The visibility was 100 feet! Crystal clear water, amazing amount and variety of fish, coral, the reefs were very healthy and with Pierre in front and Nick in back, again, I could not have felt safer. Over the course of the six dives, we saw a large moray eel, observed and then swam behind a southern stingray, and did our first wreck dive. I was blown away by the sheer beauty surrounding me. We were able to stay down for 60 minutes each dive, and were told that we did great. Well, thanks to Nick and Pierre (and Vlad and Denise!) we really DID do great! We can see how this is the best way to dive...no matter the amount of experience you have...to be able to just have your own private group, and go for half a day or a full day, in a very relaxed, fun environment. The crew also took care of all the equipment, making it very easy to sit back and relax and enjoy the scenery and rides before, after and in between dives. And by the way, the snorkelers or our group walked away with plenty of smiles, too :)

A bonus is that both Denise and Vlad are very happy to chat and give plenty of information about the surrounding area. Denise had recommended Dreams La Romana, an all-inclusive resort, just a short walk down the beach from Sharky's. It worked out very well! The resort was beautiful, clean, great food and service, and it was wonderful to be able to walk along the beautiful beach to Sharky's and get a feel for the area. We also explored the small fishing village of Bayahibe and got a sense of the local culture, which is important to us. We took a short cab ride to Dominicus to do a little shopping - all of which were recommended by Denise. Next time we will explore further out in between plenty of dives with Sharky's! That time cannot come a minute too soon :)

Thank you SO much Denise, Vlad, Nick, Pierre and Gato: an amazing group of people, who care deeply about their clients, the sea, their country, and having FUN! Muchas gracias! Merci beaucoup!

Visited August 2013
demi56, Manager at Diving Dominican Republic, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
WOW, this is probably the longest and most detailed review we've received. Thank you soooo much for taking your time to post it. I am pretty sure it will give great info to all divers and also all new visitors to Bayahibe and the area.
It was fun to have you and your family with us and sure hope we will see you back soon.
Thanks again for booking with us

Wirral, United Kingdom
“Another wonderful day out!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

We are not divers, but love a boat trip and a bit of snorkelling.
We were staying at Dreams Punta Cana but knew it would be worth the 3 hour round trip for a wonderful day out with Vlad and Denise, having been before.
Definitely recommend booking in advance, the superb personal service now means that Sharky's crew is booked out will in advance. For our 2 week stay they only had 3 free days even booking before we got there.
Last time we went to Catalinita, this time we thought we would go to Saona.
We set off from Bayahibe around 9.00am, for a speedy ride to Picina Natural, this is such a lovely spot, being on a private tour means you can miss all the crowds and it really feels like your own natural paradise. From there we moved to a spot for snorkelling, before making our way to Saona. We got there nice and early, had some snorkelling around the broken down pier before a buffet lunch, more snorkelling on a beautiful beach, before heading back via the mangrove and the Picina Natural again. This is a popular spot for boat trips on the way back to Bayahibe and you really appreciated the "private" time we had had here in the morning. We had a great secluded spot but looking out past the boat there was around 20 boat loads of people.

We got back into Bayahibe around 4.30pm, the day went so fast.

After having kept in touch with Denise and Vlad since our last visit 3 years ago it was a great time and was lovely to catch up with old friends. Denise does such a great job on Facebook and TA keeping us all up to date with the local news and giving us all our DR fix.

You do not need to be able to dive, in fact you don't even need to snorkel if that's not your thing, but for a different view of the island with some lovely, beautiful and deserted spots I can highly recommend taking a day trip with Diving Dominican Republic.
One of these days we might even go as far as to learn to dive!!

Thanks to all of you for a great day, again!!

Visited July 2013
demi56, Manager at Diving Dominican Republic, responded to this review, August 10, 2013
First of all thank you for coming back and of course thank you for taking your time to post this beautiful review!!!
It was great to see you all and personally catch up on all happenings since your last trip. I am glad you enjoyed another beautiful day on the boat exploring the Bayahibe area / coast. As you said, even non divers can go for a private trip, stay away from the crowds and enjoy the day without rushing anywhere.
If you or the kids decide to start scuba diving and you need to know more, you know where to find us.
Thanks again for choosing our crew for your snorkeling excursion
Denise
“Wonderful dive shop and dive sights”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

Sharky's is the best! Vlad and Nick were our dive guides and they were great and very patient with our group. We went on six morning dives and one night dive. Some of our divers were very leery about the night dive but we all ended up enjoying it and had a great time thanks to our guides. The reefs were beautiful and we got to hold starfish, my favorite! Denise was very friendly and helped us so much. She knows everything about the area and was there every morning to see us off and every afternoon to welcome us back. I will definitely return to Sharky's!

Visited July 2013
demi56, Manager at Diving Dominican Republic, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
Thanks for taking your time to write this nice review. I am glad you all had a great time and enjoyed the night dive as well. I am not sure if I know everything, but I try my best to give our clients as much info as I can :)
Thanks again for diving with us and hope to see you back soon
Atlanta, Georgia
7 attraction reviews
“Great dive shop”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

The dive shop was great. Vald and Nick were awesome dive guides in the water. The reefs were beautiful and healthy and the diving was comfortable for our dive group. We had divers from open water to instructor. We loved the fact that the dive boat was exclusively ours and just our group was on the boat. We were treated like kings and queens. Our gear was assembled and cleaned by the staff. What a great service. Denise was great organizing all of the dives. She was also very helpful in our stay in Bayahibe. We initially booked a hotel in Punta Cana and the drive or boat is 30 minutess plus and we did not want to be that far away from the dive shop. We choice a hotel in Bayahibe and the walk to dive shop from La Romana is about 15 mins. Denise was great to meet us the first day and pick up our gear. Sharky's dive shop made us feel at home. They made sure all of our gear was cleaned and that we got everything back. The night dive was superb. We saw octopus. eels, crabs puffer fish just to name a few. On every dive we saw magnificent marine life. Sea horse my favorite, sting rays, turtles, spotted ray eel, puffer fish, drum fish,trumpet fish,starfish andd honey comb cowfish and much more. The reefs were so healthy. Thank you Sharky's dive shop for great dives. We will definitely return to this dive shop again.

Visited July 2013
demi56, Manager at Diving Dominican Republic, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Thanks for a nice, fast and detailed review.
It was great to have your dive club diving with us and I am really glad you all had fun together. I am also happy that you liked my recommendation for Dreams La Romana resort, which is only a short beach walk from our shop.
Thanks again for choosing Sharky's crew for you scuba diving trip and hope to see you back in the near future
Dover, England, United Kingdom
“Fantastic snorkel trip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

Just got back to the hotel after our day trip with Sharky's for snorkeling. We had booked before we came out and enjoyed the short walk from our hotel to the shop. We were greeted and made to feel at home right away. The trip itself was fantastic. We stopped off to snorkel in a variety of places...about 7 different locations...far more than any other trip we have done in the past. Plus the chance to travel through the mangroves. The food was also the best of any snorkel trip we have done anywhere in the world. Everyone at Sharky's are really friendly and made the day highly enjoyable. My mum is terrified of water, yet she still came in with the support of the crew which is testament to the quality of the service you get here. I cannot rate Sharky's highly enough and would suggest anyone looking to do snorkeling in the DR use them. Thank you so much for a fabulous day.

Visited July 2013
demi56, Manager at Diving Dominican Republic, responded to this review, July 28, 2013
Thank you soo much for the fastest review ever! I guess you still had a wet bathing suit on when you posted it LOL.
I am really glad you had a fantastic day and that even your mum got in the water and tried snorkeling. If you ever plan a trip back, you know where to find us. Enjoy the rest of the vacation in Bayahibe and thanks again for booking with us.