“Great, Great Time!!!!!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Viva Wyndham Dominicus Beach

Save Saved
You added Viva Wyndham Dominicus Beach to your Saves list
Viva Wyndham Dominicus Beach
3.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   La Romana, Bayahibe, Dominican Republic   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #10 of 12 hotels in Bayahibe
Orangeville Ontario
“Great, Great Time!!!!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2011

This was the first time to the Dominican, and i have heard bad stories about how awful Dominican can be... but NOT THIS RESORT! I had an excellent room! i just got the standard room and my family got the upgraded rooms, I have to say i had the best room out of them all so sometimes the upgrades are not better. The only thing i did not have was a balcony or ocean view, however i sit by the ocean from morning till sun down and the room is just there for me to change, shower, and sleep, so it did not bother me at all... excellent room... wow!!

the resort was nice and clean and it was nothing like I have seen before on my travels, very classy, lights shining on the main area at night! the entertainment was just UNBELIEVABLE! I loved that the resort had BEACH parties and POOL parties with a DJ there and everything. they have night time dance and then at 11:00 you go to the disco... very fun and recommended for sure! The night time shows were really good too! i loved the trapese artist show they put on... it was just like watching a cirque de soleil show!

The people on the resort are nice, especially the entertainers.

The only small issue i had was: at the buffet you are either not serviced at all for drinks, or over serviced when it was not busy, there was no in between. THE PERK about this tho was that you can go and get your own anyways, so it was not a big deal

This resort has many europeans in it, so the standards have to be kept up for the Europeans to keep coming back... and they are doing a great job

ALL IN ALL i had a WONDERFUL time and I would go back any day, any time! if you have any doubts going to this resort, just go, you will love it. We met up with a couple that was there and they have been to different areas in the Dominican and they said nothing compared to what this resort had to offer! ENJOY YOUR TRIP :)

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
VivaDominicusBeach, Guest Relations Manager at Viva Wyndham Dominicus Beach, responded to this review, March 11, 2011
Dear Guest

We are extremely pleased that your experience with us was great! Our goal is meet our visitors expectations and we are very happy that in your case we accomplish our mission.

Your comments regarding the service at the buffet have been also considered as a beautiful improvement opportunity; we thank you for that.

Hopping to have the pleasure to be again at your service in the near future,

Warmest regards,

3,201 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (198)
Mississauga, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2011

We booked a 10 day stay, got to the resort and we did not have a bungalow as we paid for, after a 5 hour wait the clerk behind the desk gave us a room, we asked where our bungalow was, that we had paid for, she as much as said here is your room take it or leave it. we left the front desk in disgust, went to our room and talked to the sunwing rep the next day, he said that they were overbooked and said that the following day we should be in a bungalow. we were offered vip services in place of a bungalow if we wanted it. we turned it down as waited for the bungalow. all in all not a bad resort, but the front desk service is bad. We got the bungalow 2 days late. and we did not get any re-imbursement for it and not even we are sorry from the hotel management. we asked to speak to a manger several times on the day of check in and was told that there was no one in management there. Its a darn shame because the rest of the trip was good, the resort has alot to offer, you can snorkel right off the beach, food was good, nightlife is good, other than the check in ordeal we did have a good time.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Customer:

Thank you for writing your feedback about your recent stay at Viva Wyndham Dominicus Beach.

We are very happy that you enjoyed our beach food and night entertainment. On behalf of our general manager we deeply apologize for not meeting your expectations regarding the customer service at our front desk. Your comments have been considered and we would like to thank you for giving us the oportunity to improve in this area.

We sincerely hope that this experience do not prevent to visit us again giving us the precious chance to recover your trust in our product and service.

Kind regards,

Gatineau, Quebec
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2011

We stayed at this resort the first week of March. We flew with Sunwing and worried about the reviews of those who flew with Sunwing and ended up getting the Villa Dominicus rooms, as these are honestly on the outside of the resort between two streets. We arrived at Reception at around 1 pm and had to wait for our room until 3 pm, which was fine, these things happen. We really lucked out, because we ended up getting a bungalow with somewhat of an ocean view (these would be upgrades). The room was clean and yes the rooms are outdated and require some renos. We did hear alot of other people complain about their rooms and alot of room switching was going on. The food was good, you always had a variety of food. The A la Cartes were not that fantastic. We paid extra to eat at El Paco (Italian) because we were at the Beach and El Paco is a Palace restaurant ($10 US per person). We also did La Roca Grill and the Mexican. If you want to eat at Atlantis (on resort) near Infinity Pool, you will have to pay $20 US per person). I actually prefered the food at the buffet then at the A la Cartes. The grounds were some of the prettiest I've seen in my travels to resorts. They do have free Wifi but it never worked during our stay. We did the Saona excursion on the speedboat, and that was ok, but I think it's probably better to do it on the Catamaran (more comfortable). We had no issues with having water bottles in our room. Although true that most of the clients at this resort are Italians, I did not find this to hinder our trip at all. I found that the service was ok but not outstanding. We found that most people spend their time at the beach and quiet at the pools. The beach is beautiful! All in all, I def think that this resort is worth the money and I think with a little reno's to the rooms, this place could def get a 4 to 4 and half star rating. I would def go back!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
VivaDominicusBeach, Guest Relations Manager at Viva Wyndham Dominicus Beach, responded to this review, March 14, 2011
Dear Guest

Thank you for publish you feed back about your experiences in our installations. We are very glad that you have a good time and that you are thinking to come back to visit us again!

We are very grateful for your all your comments, because our guest’s opinions are the most important instrument we have to evaluate the level of our services and products and to improve them every day.

Hope to see you next time you come!!

Warmest regards,

New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2011

I relaize that I am a little biased about this place being an Italian-American who speaks a decent amount of Spanish, but I really enjoyed this place. Let me start with the cons- First off if you are being picked up by airport shuttle, it will be a two hour trip from Santo Domingo airport. If I go back, I will definitely try to fly into La Romana airport which is only 30 minutes away. Another negative about the room that I was in was that it was quite loud at night. The walls appear to be a little on the thin side, and we were relatively close to the dance club, but the noise wasn't intolerable by any means. This club is also very huge- you may have to walk as much as 20 minutes to gte from one end of the club to another- not a big deal for me, but may be a deterrant for others. Now for all of the positives- First off the service I experienced was much better than other places I have stayed in the Dominican Republic. At the buffets, little things like always having enough plates and silverware were nver an issue at this place. If I needed a high chair for my 9 month old son, someone would help me find one in less than 5 minutes. When I checked in, I asked for a crib and it was delivered to my room within 20 minutes. When my toilet wasn't working perfectly, I called the front desk and someone came to fix it within 15 minutes. When we had to leave dinner early one night beccause my son wasn't feeling well, the staff of the restaurant delivered our dinner to the room after we left. Again it helps to speak a little Spanish, since I would say English is no better than the fourth most widely spoken language at this club next to Spanish, Italian, French, and German. Food-wise I was rather pleased as long as I chose vegetarian items or stuck with the local fish. La Terezza is the main buffet place where we ate all of our breakfasts- I was always able to get egg white omlettes with whatever toppings I wanted in a timely manner and the usual staples- pancakes, french toast, croissants were quite good as well. There were also several places, such as the bar La Papaya, in the club where you could enjoy a traditional Italian breakfast of pastries with a cappuchino or espresso. If you chose you could add a little grappa or sambuca to your caffeinated beverage which I definitely appreciated. For lunch, I defintelky recommend walking to the far end of the club and eating at La Roca buffet instead of La Terezza. Much less crowded and more relaxed. What I really enjoyed about lunches at this club was the plethora of vegetarian options, and I am by no means a vegetarian. Every day there was a new fresh pasta choice at the pasta bar, or you could have your own custom pasta created for you. Every day they had a brick oven pizza at the buffets, but my favorite thing to do would be to get a triangle of brick oven pizza with no sauce or cheese and put olive oil and vinegar on it or top it with stewed eggplant. these little things meant a lot to me, but might not be appreciated by others. I also feasted on Dominican rice and beans each day. Another great thing about lunch was that they had small sandwiches, burgers, and warm foccacia bread at La Papaya and other locations if you missed or didn't want to eat at teh buffet. You could actually get food there from 2:30 to 5 when the buffet were closed. To top it off, they had a place that specialized in only brick oven pizzas which I thought was open from 7 PM to 7 AM, but was actually open from 12:30 PM to 7:00 AM- I was surpised by the quality as well. We had the dinenr buffet one time and decided to eat at the sit-down places the other four nights we stayed. Being a beach member and not a palance member, we had to pay a nominal $10 per person for Il Placo (Italian), Viva Cafe (Mediterranean), and Bambu (Oriental), but not for the Mexican restaurant. The food at the sit down places was fair and the portions were relatively small, but a quiet ambience made for a good experience. The Viva cafe especially had a really nice outdoor beach side setting. All of the wine comes out of a carafe, so you're not getting top quality stuff which I expected. If I was still hungry, I would get some pizza from the pizza cafe and bring back a couple of Presidentes to the room before putting my son to sleep. The beach, as has been described, is spectacular. We had zero trouble finding beach chairs every day and there is ample shade because of the numerous palm trees. I ran on the beach three of the days I stayed and the sand is soft for about a mile and a half as you run away from the club before it turns into a terrain full of tiny rocks covered in sand. One place I would have liked to spend more time was the pool near La Roca cafe-it was an infinity-like pool that seemed to just disappear into the ocean and it was very quiet and not crowded. They definitely need to put more places to sit around here and develop it a little more- it could be really awesome. All in all, this one of the top places that I have stayed in the Dominican Republic for the budget-conscious. If you like the little Italian-friendly thing that this club offers as much as I do, this is the place for you.

Belleville
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2011

Feb 1 -15th
We started our vacation with a flight from Toronto with Air Transat and booked Club class for the first time. The flight was wonderful, service and food was excellent. We definetly travel with AT again. We were advised the day before our vacation that the Bungalows were not available at the Dominicus Beach and they were overbooked and we would have to spend our 1st week at the BeLive Canoa instead. . The arrival into La Romana airport, from the time we left the plane, clear customs, got our luggage and got to our bus was about 20min, very fast service. We arrived at the Canoa, speedy check in and went to our room. The rooms were basic but very clean and had a coffee maker and refrigerator stocked daily with coke, sprite and beer. The BeLive Oasis Canoa was a excellent resort, great beach, nice pool no problem getting chairs by the pool or beach. The shoreline is a little rocky but then is nice and sandy. The food was great, lots of variety, no lineups and all the staff was very friendly and would always try and speak english and we would also try and speak a little spanish to them. The resort would be 70% Italian, 20% French Canadian and 10% english speaking. The Italians have there own club, beach area and water sports desk. The food is also geared more to European travellers but again lots of variety. The only problem very little is done in the english language for watersports or shows at night. If you Italian or French Canadian you would love this resort. We did the Altos de Chevon tour(Caso de Campo) and the Bavaro Runners and both were well worth the money.
The second week we were moved to the Viva Wydnam Dominicus Beach, upon arrival we were advised still no bungalows available. We were put in the Viva Wyndam Palace resort and were advised to speak to Nordene the Air Transat Rep the following morning to see about the bungalows. In the mean time we had a look at the Bungalows and found there were really quaint but very small for 2Adults and a teenager. The palace rooms were very large, nice bathrooms and very beautiful grounds. We spoke to Nordene the following morning and said we would be happy to stay where we were but would like to move to a ground floor. He was very efficient and had us moved. I had been in the travel business for 25yrs and he was by far the most helpful, organized representative I have come across. Thanks again Nordene! The Palace buffet and restaurants were very good. The resort is very Large. The Palace and Beach are really all one resort. Lots of walking. They have an area that is located just outside the guard gate called the Viva Village, much older rooms and run down. Spoke to a couple of your girls and they were okay with it but they new before they left they had booked the budget rooms.
We found the service at the Viva Beach buffet restaurant very poor but, the Palace buffet was very well organized and had very good friendly service. Again all beach and night entertainment was in Italian/ French and spanish. Again this resort also is geared to Italians, Spanish and French, very little English speaking but all the staff try to accomodate you, including maids,waiters/waitresses. The Viva Beach is very busy and lots of noise. The Palace is quieter and more relaxing. The village of domincus is right outside the gates of the hotel. Very safe to walk and talk to the street vendors,do some shopping and many apartments and condos in this area for the snow birds.
All in all we throughly enjoyed our vacation. Weather was fabulous. Just would of preferred more of an english speaking resort so we could enjoy the nighttime shows and afternoon entertainment.
We were picked up and transported to the airport. Nordene was again at the airport to have things organized for Air Transat. We had Club Class checkin, so no long lines to wait in. We definetly travel with AT Club Class again, great food served on china, with wine, liqours, wide comfy seats and a new plane on the return with each seat having there own TV screen and a great selection of movies/Tv shows to choose from.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
VivaDominicusBeach, Guest Relations Manager at Viva Wyndham Dominicus Beach, responded to this review, March 3, 2011
Dear Guests,

First of all we would like to apologize for our necessity to send you in another resort for the first week of your stay and we are so glad that this inconvenience has not avoid for you to enjoy a pleasant vacation and that despite of all you left the Dominican Republic bringing with good memories of our resort.

Being you a person who worked for 25 year in travel business with his big experience we received your comments with a bigger pleasure and I can confirm in the name of all the staff of Viva Wyndham Dominicus Beach and Palace that it has been a big honor serving you during your stay.

Hoping you will give us another possibility in the future to offer you our services and products, please accept our

Best regards

Silvia Cassone
regina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2011

A beautiful, lush and expansive resort and that is where the praise ends. I read the reviews and took most with a grain of salt. Unfortunately the reviews were very accurate. This resort is more into taking your money and trying to sell time shares. If they would take the amount of staff that are selling time shares and put them to work in other areas maybe the resort might be more enjoyable. The rep for Sunwing and Viva told us: To have a better room(in our case a bungalow) buy a time share. The rooms we were in, as they said, were rooms designated for travel agencies. They were sub par. But if we joined their timeshare, rooms would be much better. 4 other couples, all Canadian found the exact same thing on our trip. The rooms very outdated, moldy, in much need of taps, sink, counters, furniture (none of the drawers opened or closed), no coffee maker, bar fridge, clock, etc. The pictures on the web site were very misleading. The staff is very rude, including the front desk, bar servers and restaurant staff. We were called AMERICANOS snidely numerous times by staff for speaking English. There is practically no English spoken on the resort. The majority of the people visiting on the resort were European. They were in 2 groups, young and rude or old and rude. Maybe that's why the staff were so rude. The only person that was nice, friendly and courteous was the housekeeper. She was so over worked but always pleasant. The bar staff were the worst I have ever seen. None of the Europeans ever tipped the bar staff (first time I have not tipped), the staff was always so busy. It took 5/10 minutes to get a drink and if you asked for 2 they glared at you. Viva sure saves on liquor as a lot of people don't wait around to be served. The vendors off the resort were great and fun to visit with, even with my broken Spanish and their poor English, we had fun shopping. The beach was nice except the views of the overweight older topless European women, and not to forget the elderly European men with diapers in their speedo's
This could a very nice resort, the grounds are nice, the area is beautiful but poorly run and managed. If this resort was a boat it probably sink before it left the dock, it is so top heavy with managers walking around and no staff to attend to resort customers. They need more courteous, attentive, pleasant staff in visible areas of the resort,like housekeepers, bar staff, coffee staff, restaurant staff would be beneficial. Update the rooms and don't pester people on their holidays to buy time shares.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
VivaDominicusBeach, Guest Relations Manager at Viva Wyndham Dominicus Beach, responded to this review, March 2, 2011
Dear Guests,

We received your feed back with a big sorrow for discovering that we could not satisfy your expectations for your vacations in our resort.

In Viva Wyndham Resorts our most important commitment is to reach the satisfaction of all our guests` needs and for this reason we will use your constructive critical and your advises about our organization and management like a big opportunity for improving the quality of our services and products in order to make them more effective day by day.

We hope you will return to visit us another time in the future for having the possibility to surprise you with our efficiency and good service, please accept our most sincere regards.
canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2011

background on us--- a fortyish couple normal travel alone to the dominican republic 3-4 times per year..this time took our 18 yr old niece and an 18 yr old family friend (also female)

sunwing from toronto...flight good...cannot comment on sunwing transfer as hubbys best friend was there to pick us up at airport..BUT enrique sunwing rep was useless..never there when book said he would be,,have send letter to sunwing about him...on other hand THANK YOU to the resorts AIRTRANSAT REP for helping us out on last day..even calling the sunwing rep for us..you ROCK.. even after spending an hour waiting up in rep area for enrique..who said he was on his way while we were on phone...it was the airtransat rep who told us not to wait...enrique had now called to say he wasnt coming...whatever.

resort...

beautiful.... clean...probably in our top 2 or so for looks..
clean...nice beach with both coral areas for snorkling and sandy areas for swimming..

reception,,,horrible. we arrived..take our girls to their room ( nice guy very helpful) very pleased with that room...then they lead us away..we had requested close to the kids..they put us in room far from them...a building that actually was horrible..up on the third floor...up rickety wooden steps...to be greeted by a fridge at our door outside...leaking all over floor...he opens door for us..a double bed...a beat up dresser and two night stands with graffiti carved into it...ok..we took a breath we are there for the outside weather..beach and pool not room..sooo...hubby tipped bellman..he left.hubby sat on bed..it collapsed (he is an average size man 5"10 180 lbs...)
so off to reception we go...WILTON at front desk was rude...he argued withme that the reason the girls room was better was that they had paid for a different catagory of room than us..give me a darn break!!! I booked the whole thing..paid for the whole thing they were booked same price.same catagory.. he told us he would see if they could change the room "possibly" tomorrow. I took out a pc of paper i had with some names and phone numbers on it...asked for kennedy..he said he wasnt available..but ohhhhh...by miracle the room RIGHT beside the kids was suddenly available. so we went back and moved oursselves

staff was surley and rude for most part except for Narci at infinity pool...he was soooo good that i have in fact forwarded his name and his photo to the manager of our fav punta cana resort (one that we frequent reqularly) sooooo wyndham if you read this i suggest u give narci a raise asap...) I was told no wine 3 days at the main bar...wow.

excursions,,,

kids were disappointed as u cannot book parasailing here (according to sport hut) however i told them to walk the beach towards iberostar and they would find someone selling it,,,\

went out front into dominicus and asked the resort front gate guard where to catch gua gua to bayahibe so we could get to la romana..he told is how dangerous it was for "three pretty ladies" but his friend would take us there in his taxi for just 35-40 dollars us...well i made sure to tell him i knew exactly where we were going..had done it many times from both the canoa and the iberostar...and that we have family that lives there..he shut up,,six dollars and two gua guas later us three girls were safely at jumbo in la romana...shopping our hearts out...then a quick ride to where we were going...ya. so not safe. lol....safer than many areas here in sw ontario...

ok..back to resort.

pros.
beautiful grounds
beautiful (EVEN IF SMALL) pools
great snack bar
best pizza bar i have ever encountered in dominican republic
best wine i have ever encountered in dominican republic (when u can find it)
Narci. at the infinity pool

cons
rude condesending reception staff
hard to get a coffee or tea in buffet in morn (but lots available at bar in courtyard)
maid service spotty at best but at least they are incredibly pleasant ,,eventually cleaned the dead bug of the mirror myself after i couldnt stand looking at it anymore
water for in room hard to get
no soda or beer in room
no shampoo or soap in room (we came prepared because i stick to a certain brand.).girls were coming in constantly to borrow as none in there room either

in conclusion,,,would i book this resort again? well...it would have to be considerably cheaper than any other in the area..but maybe..but at least next time we would know what to expect..we make our own good time.;and we still got what our main goal was;..sun,,no work..family time..and time with good friends who live in DR and came in for a couple days...

booking may right now..back to barcelo dominican beach in punta cana..not as pretty as viva...but they treat us like gold and we are kinda sorry we cheated on them with viva lol

lets hope viva improves on customer service...all the other things are there and done well...

i put i would not recommend to friends...if they improved service i would

pools spotless...smaller than we are used to..not enough loungers..no swimup bars (fine by me)

food...very decent...for the first time in over thirty trips to this island..NO tummy upset..at all...not huge variety...but decent taste and quality..only got one alacarte out of a guarentteed three....they were full>? so much for a guarantee eh/ but we did la roca grill and the chicken cordon bleu was very nice and so was hubbys steak...beautiful ocean views
buffet...hard time to get tea or coffee....omelette guys incredibly slow only doing one omelette at time.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family

Been to Viva Wyndham Dominicus Beach? Share your experiences!