“First trip to The Dominican Republic” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Viva Wyndham Dominicus Beach

You added Viva Wyndham Dominicus Beach to your Saves list
Viva Wyndham Dominicus Beach
3.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   La Romana, Bayahibe, Dominican Republic   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #10 of 12 Hotels in Bayahibe
Kansas City
“First trip to The Dominican Republic”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

The Dominicus Beach sisters with the Dominicus Palace, which gives you extra choices for places to eat for dinner. This was our first trip to the Dominican Republic so we did not know what to expect at all. The grounds of both places are beautiful and daily maintained. The food is so-so and if you're not picky you wont starve to death. The buffets get a little monotonous after the first two days. Pretty much the same thing morning, noon and night. Evening entertainment was provided in the theater each evening with a different show each night. A little lame after the first two nights. Amazing how the young staff can speak English, Spanish, Italian and more! Mostly Spanish spoken here, but you can usually find someone who speaks at least a little English. The beach was beautiful and you could walk for miles. All kinds of "sights" on the beach so prepare your little ones before you go!! Our room was a basic two double bed hotel room. Nothing special, not very clean, we had a garden view. It seemed to me that the only rooms that would have had an ocean view were the bungalows, which I plan on going back to try out. In the bungalows you walk right off of your patio and onto the beach. I felt the grounds were very safe and felt comfortable walking around late at night by myself. They have walking paths to all buildings and all restaurants and pools. We did not attempt to leave the resort other than one day on which we were bombarded by people trying to drag us to their stores. My son didn't feel comfortable so we went back inside the resort. The pool did not seem to be used at all during the day, actually I think it was not in working condition when we were there, but they had music and dancing in the evening before the main shows started around the pool area. Once the main show was over the entire resort was pretty quiet. There is no room service, but they did have a pizza place open where beer and pizza were served all night long. I do intend to go back just to stay in one of the bungalows!

Room Tip: Stay in a bungalow. It costs more but they are right on the ocean and not too far from the restaura...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
VivaDominicusBeach, Guest Relations Manager at Viva Wyndham Dominicus Beach, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
Dear Visitor,

Thanks for taking the time on posting your comments, which are very important for us in order to improve all of our services. We are happy to know that you spent a good vacation in our facilities and at same time we apologize for not meeting your expectation regarding the food service.

We hope you could give us in the near future another chance to show how important were your comments and so you could appreciate that it helped us a lot in our goal which is the total satisfaction of all our visitors.

Customer Care

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (222)
  • Polish first
lavaltrie
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

We did go there 10days in february 2012 and we enjoy every second of are trip.The room for the prce was perfect,the view from are room was great,the garden,the flowers,thye birds was beautiful.To go t th beach you can walk it s no to far,The staff recive ou with a big smile ll te time and you can see there happy to work there soverythingf was fine.

Room Tip: first floor just front of the garden
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Visitor

Thank you very much for taking your time to post your impressions regarding your stay at Viva Wyndham Dominicus Beach, we are very glad to read your comments.
Here we are eagerly expecting your return once again to offer you our best attentions and services in our Viva Wyndham Resorts.

New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Stayed here a full week because of a great online deal. Not very happy with my stay. Dinner reservations were cancelled without letting us know. Buffet was better than the restaurants anyway..They weren't very friendly to Americans. Also, clothing was stolen from the room and they did nothing about it. At checkout, they even accused us of stealing a blowdryer (nailed to the wall).
Pay a little more and go to a 4-5 star instead.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Guest

We deeply regret not having fulfilled your expectations as a guest with our services, facilities and accommodations. Also we want to let you know that each one of your comments has been taken seriously by our general direction in order to avoid situations like this may happen again.
We really hope that you will give us the opportunity to recover your trust in our products by visiting us again, so that, you could appreciate that your comments were very helpful for us to improve our services.

Best regards

Cincinnati, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

While some of the rooms and a few of their restaurants were being repaired in various areas around the complex, it was considered their off-season time. And the place is HUGE, so it really wasn't a problem. This isn't a place to go IF you want to add pounds from eating. They do catter to European cuisine, so expact a lot of pasta and seafood variations. Plenty to drink all over the place. 4 large bars adjacent to 4 large swimming pools. WHITE SAND beaches everywhere. Great temp and clear water. What more could you want!

Flying in? Long taxi rides from Santo Domingo or Punta Cana. If you can get there...small airport in La Romana available...but very few airlines go there!

Room Tip: Beach front bungalos are great, short walk to beach or food courts. Some of the restaurants are a hi...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Noblesville, Indiana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

My husband and I along with our two best friends just spent a week at the resort. This was everyone's first time out of the country and at an all-inclusive. Unfortunately for us it was not a good experience. When arriving at the resort we were very eager to see what all was offered. The check-in staff was nice and we were quickly escorted to our rooms. We each stayed in a beachfront bungalow. It was not what we were expecting. The room was very outdated. For the first four days we found a cockroach in the room. We eventually had to put a towel in front of our door, which helped. There were not many food options. Three of the restaurants were closed for renovations. The buffets offered the same food each day so it got old eating the same thing day after day. The drinks were not very good and were served in very small glasses. No one really spoke English and the resort catered to mostly Europeans. The beach was nice and we had a great time on the catamaran We made the best of our vacation, but definitely wouldn't go back.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012 via mobile

I just got home from a five day stay at this resort, first let me say the place itself is beautiful and the beach area is great but everything else not so good. First of all this place caters to mostly Europeans and I don't have a problem with that until it has an ill effect on my stay. I had to pay staff members in order to get what I thought was half way decent service. I constantly had to call the front desk for toiletries, something that you would think is the most basic service they should offer. As far as food selection they did not have a wide variety and by the third night you were tired of eating the same thing over and over again. They do offer 5 restaurants (3 were closed for renovations) on site but they don't tell you that they charge an extra fee if you decide to eat at one of them. The drinks were extremely watered down as well. On our third night my girlfriend became very sick, so sick that we ended up going to the doctor on site, the staff at the medical center was very helpful and treated her great. The doctor recommended bed rest and a diet of soup, bread and fruit. I took the doctors written recommendation to the front desk and was told that the hotel has a policy that no food can be removed from the eating area, do to this stupid rule I had to walk out of the hotel and into the adjacent town in order to buy food for my girlfriend. I would continue however writing this review just pisses me off more than I already am.

• Stayed October 2012
Dear Guest,

We deeply regret not having fulfilled your expectations as a guest with our service, facilities and accommodations.

Thank you for letting us know your impression in order to improve our effort for the highest quality for other future guests.

Best regards,

New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

Stayed at this resort with my brother and his wife and it was not up to my standards therefore I would not stay here again. However, I try to make the best out of any situation and I had a good time and it was also relaxing for me. So, I definitely think some ppl would have issues and others may think it's the best place they've ever been to, but I guess that depends on what your standards are. I will break my review down into categories I think are noteworthy.

Room - The room area was in my opinion below average. I don't go on vacation to stay in the room, but when I am in there...I would like to be comfortable. I just focused on spending the least time possible in the room. Literally, just slept, showered and was out the door..The bathroom was horrible! Toilet leaking, not enough counter space to put stuff on, shower was very small and there wasn't really a shower door or curtain...just a small piece of glass that didn't do much to prevent the water from spilling out onto the bathroom floor. Room definitely needed a serious upgrade.

Food & Drinks - I don't go to an all-inclusive resort thinking the food will be amazing, but the food for the most part sucks. It's tasteless and stale...the only restaurant I tried was the Mexican and the food was stale, other nights I ate at the buffet which was below average for me, but I managed to find something to eat..so I didn't starve. However, this is not a factor that would deter me from returning to a resort.
As for the drinks, this is a big issue for me. I am not eating 24/7, but on vacation I would like to have a good drink in hand and it took me 2 days to find something I was happy with. If you ask for a drink, don't expect it to taste like what you are used to back home. The mojitos are not bad (depends on who makes them) and if you lucky enough that the bar will still have mint leaves. The truth is the alcohol couldn't get you tipsy even if you sat there and drank the entire bottle (I don't really drink much at all, but I was drinking and never felt tipsy). The Brugal may get you there after a while. However, I did see some people drunk and I wondered what they were drinking. They also have a bar with all name brand liquors, which of course you must pay for (it's right near the resort shops). I suggest you bring your own mug and have them make your drinks in that..wasn't really a fan or their glasses and didn't feel like they were very sanitary.

Language Barrier: If English is the only language you speak and you do not understand any Spanish then this is NOT THE PLACE FOR YOU. Actually, Bayahibe is not the place for you...visit Punta Cana or Puerto Plata (they speak more English there). The employees speak Spanish for the most part and the shows they have in the theater are in Spanish. Mostly, the people that visit this resort speak Spanish, Italian or French...so beware if you think the language barrier is a deal breaker for you. I think if you go to another country...you should attempt to learn their basic communication words and phrases or don't bother going at all.

Resort Property & Weather: The actual outdoor property of the resort was nice...the beach was nice and the water was beautiful. I like the way the main bar (La Placita) was situated w. the pool area nearby and the beach right there..you just have to walk down a few steps. The beach was beautiful...some days the water was a little rough and other days you could see the ocean floor in the shallow areas. There were plenty lounge chairs and it was very relaxing to lay on the beach or take a swim. There is a lifeguard around until sunset. In La Romana...it's usually sunny with a chance of rain....so bring an umbrella for the sporadic downpours unless you don't mind getting wet...sometimes...it's just a two minute sprinkle...other times it was a mini monsoon (not much places to run and hide when this starts and you're outside). For the most part the weather was great and the resort surroundings were kept clean...the one exception is the bar...there were bumble bees all over slapping you left and right when you go get a drink...The resort needs to do a better job at keeping this under control during the day.

Entertainment Staff & Entertainment: Let me say that the entertainment staff are a GREAT bunch of people to stick around if you find yourself at this resort... They are very friendly, funny and try their best to show you a good time. They are the one thing I do miss about this resort in addition to the beach. They have activities and games all day by the pool and on the beach that the staff tries to get you to participate in. If you are looking for a good time then do join in the fun. Between 9pm-9:45pm they play salsa, merengue & bachata by the pool area and if you are sitting around the entertainment staff may pull you to dance...its ok if you don't know how to, they will teach you. Around 9:45pm they start telling people to go to the theater for the show....many of their shows are comical and they do a great job putting on these performances. I wonder where do they get the time to practice when they are by the pool all day entertaining guests. After the show, they usually have a party by the pool area (La Placita Bar). There they play mostly salsa, merengue, bachata, reggaeton & pop. Around 1 am...they close that bar down and they go to the Discoteca (club) on the resort....the music continues and the DJ is good.

Service & Staff: As for the service at this resort...don't expect to be waited on hand and foot. Don't expect someone to come and ask you if you would like something to drink...it's a get up and get it yourself type of resort. The staff was nice for the most part....they were friendly. Housekeeping wasn't really that speedy...waited 2 days to get an iron..I called like 10 times for it, but when it finally came...I received 2 of them..delivered 10 mins apart...still didn't receive an ironing board...but I substituted for that by using the bed.

Beach Towels: So this resort has a towel policy where you give them your towel card and they give you a towel...however....if you need to exchange that towel for a new one...you may have an issue..some of the guys did it with no question asked, but one guy told me the policy was one towel per day (which is CRAZY), especially if it rained and your towel was your only shield and you wanted a dry one.

Personally, I had a good time and my sister in law had a good time..my brother's experience was not so great. Like I said...I make the best of any situation and I don't let things ruin my vacation. My sister in law and I will be going back to DR, but to Punta Cana since there is more to do there. Not much to do or see outside the resort gates.

Feel free to ask me any questions. Also, if you are going to this resort and can fly in and/or out of La Romana International Airport...that would be a better option (it's 15 mins from the resort). Santo Domingo is an hour drive. I flew into Santo Domingo and out of La Romana. If you have any questions...feel free to send me a message.

Room Tip: Honestly, I don't know if there are any good rooms in this place...I see them renovating rooms...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dear Visitor,

Thanks for taking the time on posting your comments, which are important for us in order to improve all of our services. We apologize that our facilities and services did not meet at all your expectations, we respect your opinion regarding all the points mentioned on your review.

We hope you could give us the chance to regain your confidence in a near future.

Customer Care

Been to Viva Wyndham Dominicus Beach? Share your experiences!