“Ticked almost all the boxes for family holiday” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Dreams La Romana

Save Saved
You added Dreams La Romana to your Saves list
Dreams La Romana
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playa Bayahibe | P.O. Box 80, Bayahibe, Dominican Republic   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Free Nights!
Ranked #2 of 12 hotels in Bayahibe
Sheffield
“Ticked almost all the boxes for family holiday”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW via mobile

An extremely good resort for families with older(ish) children looking to relax and have fun with lots of food options with appealing pool areas, excellent beach and plenty to keep all entertained.

Let's start with the highlights - all restaurants provided a good quality of food and service with only one disappointing evening meal (Seaside Grill) in the 2 weeks we were there. Lunchtime choices were even more impressive with pizza bar, BBQ burgers and hot dogs at Barefoot Grill, Seaside Grill (much more impressive at lunch time than in evening esp calamari!), World Cafe buffet as well as additional ad hoc food events on the beach. Breakfast buffet was also impressive, good quality and wide variety.

Lots of bars too with decent quality and variety of drinks. Entertainment team worked hard - we saw and participated in a number of daytime events aimed at both kids and adults. There was no pressure to join in but the relaxed but exuberant atmosphere in these events made it a pleasure to sit back and observe or get involved - the daily water aerobics in the turquoise sea or the one off Dominican sunset party were particular highlights. Can't judge evening events as we tended to retire to our room early but our kids didn't and they had a great time making friends at core zone and enjoying the entertainment.

The resort grounds were also impressive, large and well maintained gardens with maturing planting as well as a really gorgeous beach (snorkelling right off the beach was particularly enjoyable, starfish as well as other species) - this was probably the stand out highlight for us.

Downsides? A few but nothing substantial and in truth, if I could rate this resort a 4.5 then I would.

Our room was OK - comfy beds, decent bathroom and excellent air con but the rooms could do with an overhaul. Decor is looking a little dated and the fixtures and fittings are not to the higher standards we have experienced in Mexico.

In addition, in 2014 free wifi really should come as standard in a resort that markets itself so highly (although I do admit that making the decision not to pay for wifi and going internet/email/Facebook free for 2 weeks was a wonderful retro experience!).

Service was largely a hit but occasionally missed - one or two staff seemed less than happy in their role but this was the exception.

My main gripe was the lack of air con in some areas in the evening. Some shared areas (lobby bar, Mexican and Asian restaurants) are open sided buildings with fans to circulate air. In a hot and humid climate this could make for a less than comfortable time. Not a lot can be done about this (esp if the building architecture is already in place) and we were there in August but it was often a cooling relief to step back into the air conditioned loveliness of our room later in the evening.

On the whole I would recommend Dreams la Romana to families esp those with older kids (ours are 14 and 11). It gave us oldies a chance to relax in a high standard resort and on a wonderful beach enjoying good food and drink while also providing our kids with lots to do, many new friends to make and activities to keep them entertained in a beautiful place.

Coming from the UK we have tended to take our family holidays around the Med before (albeit we have visited Mexico as a couple a number of times). We choose DLR because we felt (largely based on TA reviews) that it gave us much more variety in resort experience and at a higher standard than resorts in Spain/Greece/Egypt could. When we priced up these holidays we were pleasantly surprised to find DLR coming out at only slightly more than these Med resorts in August so we decided to go for it. I'm very glad we did, we got much more holiday bang for our buck and I doubt we will ever return to the Med for a family holiday again.

Stayed August 2014, traveled with family

4,731 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,039)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
3 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

We stayed in this Resort for 3 weeks in July/August 2014. This was our 2nd visit; we already came in 2010 for 3 weeks and had a really good time. This time our stay started badly, then got worst and our problems were ignored by the management for 4 days despite many requests. Finally, they only noticed us and acted/solved our problems when I published a bad review on TripAdvisor a few days after our arrival. They wanted us to remove our review and from that point things started to improve. I told them I would remove my review as soon as I was happy, which I did and told them I would write this new review at the end of our vacation.
Basically this resort is great if you don't have any problems. Otherwise it can become very irritating. They push you to upgrade to Preferred and tell you if you want good service you should upgrade. This is not acceptable because they downgrade the normal service which is already quite expensive, telling you to upgrade and pay about 60$/night/room extra if you want a VIP service. We didn’t want VIP, we wanted the normal 4* service that we paid for.
First our reservation was complicated. We needed 2 rooms for 3 weeks. After checking prices on the internet I contacted the hotel directly and they offered a 5% discount. When we arrived at the hotel there was no trace of the discount. Even though I showed them our email confirmation from Louise at the eConcierge Service they refused and we lost 500$. When we got to our rooms we found that the cards didn’t work, so back to reception (we come from France so 8 hour flight and jet lag make all this going and coming quite tiring) and when we open our rooms we had a view on a car park/side road! No way would I agree to this for 3 weeks. So back to reception and they tell us to come back at 3pm the next day to change our rooms. The next day we waited over an hour at reception and had to get really angry before somebody offered us rooms that were exactly what I didn't want. I asked for no ground floor and king size bed. We were offered ground floor and 2 small beds. When I complained we were told that there were other customers and as we were asking for a favor we should stop complaining! This can seem petty but we are staying 3 weeks and I had made my demands very clear and was promised that everything would be fine. I was tired of arguing and we took the rooms and while one was OK for the children, our room did not have a coffee machine, the toilets leaked and made a lot of noise all day/night and the air conditioning could only be set on high with no temperature control as the other buttons did not work. Well it took 24h and 4 phone calls to have a coffee machine. I was told that if I wanted coffee I should call room service. That works only if you want coffee in 1h30mn... After 4 days and many complaints about the toilets and air conditioning (4 sleepless nights as the room was very hot and the noise from the toilets very loud), and after my bad review Jonathan from the concierge desk finally called us and within a few hours they had changed our toilets, repaired the air conditioning with a digital control and… repainted our balcony (not sure what that was about). We were also offered a romantic dinner for 3 to apologize and we got Wi-Fi for 1 device for the duration of our stay (by the way, 7$/day/device for Wi-Fi is daylight robbery). I am wondering if we would have had working air conditioning and working toilets if we were preferred! I was paying a lot of money already and I believe I should not have to upgrade to have the basics.
Add to that a great timeshare/discount offer that was proposed to us after 4 hours explanations and tour of the Preferred rooms to buy a 12.000 US$ subscription to be able to have future discount in Dreams and other resorts of the Group over the next 40 years! It was supposed to last 1h30 and we were quite angry to have lost again more time for something so weird. I particularly liked the “of course you will not be needing it for 40 years as you will be dead but your children can use it then”. I am 40 years old and the last place I want to be reminded of my death is during my holidays! They pester you everywhere in the hotel to do this (never telling you really what it is about) and even after we did it, at least twice a day we would be stopped by a member of staff asking us to take the tour. They gave us a 100US$ voucher to use in the hotel to have taken the time to listen. Except we never could find out what we could buy with it, in fact the reception desk didn’t really know either. Finally they agreed to let us use it for laundry service, but it was complicated!
Unfortunately, they do not reward loyalty we have stayed with them (Dreams) 4 times in different countries for a total period of 3 months and when I suggested they could offer us Wi-Fi during our stay as a customer gesture and to replace the 500$ lost upon arrival they did not even consider it.
Apart from our personal problems, here is a global review of the Resort:
Good:
- Beautiful beach and gardens
- Good coffee at the Coco Café
- Rooms and restaurants are clean
- The main swimming pool is clean and quite big
Bad:
- Transat are booked at 7am by people who are never there
- The doors of the rooms are very thin so at times it can be very noisy (doors slamming, people talking in the corridor…)
- Rooms need to be restored (air conditioning, bathroom, paint…)
- The food is OK but repetitive if you stay for more than a week
- The restaurants in the evening can have very long waiting times (over 1h)
- Animation team is lazy and not very entertaining (repetitive). They chat up the young and pretty on the beach (and sometimes the very young, I heard parents complaining after witnessing a member of the entertainment team talking in very inappropriate terms to their daughter who was 15). They are not very implicated
- Evening shows are just average, some are OK but most are cheap and not well rehearsed
- They host conferences and seminars and a couple of times we had businesses playing noisy team building games for hours on the beach right in the middle of us (not very relaxing for the rest of us who are on vacation)
- On week-ends they offer cheap prices for locals, and while I have no problem with that it means that the atmosphere changes radically as big groups come to spend the day and are very noisy and want to make the most of it. It is then almost impossible to get a chair on the beach or by the pool or a drink anywhere. They drink and eat in the pool which becomes dirty.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
essex
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

We returned last Thursday from dreams la romana and all I can say overall we had a fantastic time, most of the staff were great I would like to mention our very best waiter of the whole resort who was CHRIS in the new world buffet restaurant who always had our table laid and everything ready for us when we arrived for breakfast & would ask if we were back for lunch if we were he would have drinks and the table laid ready for us..... Excellent member of staff, also diomody and maritza in the lobby bar they were excellent too. We had a room in block 2 which was near the beach and the infinity pool and very comfortable and our cleaner did a great job. We did not go for the preferred club option and still cannot see what they get different to everyone else except a different pool and beach but there beach was above the rocks and you could not just walk into the sea, they had orange towels instead of brown but they had the use of all the same restaurants as us I think they got free wifi but it is a lot of money to pay for what I see that they get.

The food at this hotel in ALL restaurants is excellent their only problem is they do not have a booking system and for the first week of our holiday did not have a problem waiting or getting into any of them except the Italian which we waited for for over an hour only to be told at 9.30 that there were still 7 tables waiting before us, we left and had no choice but to go to the buffet. Unfortunately unless you want to eat early especially from Friday to Sunday you will have no chance in getting into any of the restaurants as locals from Santa Domingo arrive for the weekend and its very busy everywhere. We tried again the second week to get into the Italian but after a wait of approx 1 hour our buzzer buzzed when we went into the resturant we were told it wasnt cor us (as apparently everyones buzzers buzz) again they told us 14 tables in front of us so we visited the buffet AGAIN which is great and has a good variety for everyone but can be a bit monotonous on a daily basis. It didn't spoil our holiday not by any means but I think dreams should reconsider there restaurant booking procedure.

We went on a trip to seona island which was a lovely day but please be aware that the hotel charges 99 dollars each for this trip and we walked to the end of our beach and booked the same trip (people who booked through the hotel were on it) and paid just 45 dollars each so don't be afraid to book with them they were great people.

The beach party was absolutely fantastic it's just a shame they don't have this more often, the group were great and the entertainment team were fab. A nice change as there is not much evening entertainment on they do have shows some days in the theatre but its so hot in there and very packed we only went once. Other than that its a singer which seemed like every other night (the same singer) who sang all the Spanish songs and on other nights it was an organist who did its do it for us and everything finishes at 11pm. Which is a shame as bar is open till 2pm. The English love to dance and we proved that at the beach party. Maybe you could move it to the seaside grill area where they have the weddings? Please please please dreams get some varied entertainment for adults after 9pm and later than 11pm WE ARE ON OUR HOLIDAYS.
Some of the sun beds on the beach need a bit of DIY as many were broken. The staff on the beach both serving drinks on the beach and at the bar and grill were lovely along with the staff at the infinity pool.
Make sure you take dollars as it is very expensive to either exchange English pounds or use our debit card as they first convert it to Dominican money and then to dollars so for every £50 you change up you only get £40 worth of money and you cannot pay for trips, taxis with Dominican money which I find strange.
All in all it was a great holiday. And thank you dreams for your hospitality.

Tina

Room Tip: Email them prior to your arrival with your preferences for your room, we did and got exactly what we...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

From the moment we step foot to the moment we left our experience was EXCELLENTO. UPON ARRIVAL WE WERE GREETED AND HANDED A NICE GLASS OF CHAMPAIGN. This was the start of an amazing week. The resort was beautiful and the workers were very friendly. There was something always going on for each age group.
Our room location was in the center of everything (section 4 best location for a room). The rooms were nice, very cleaned and well kept but did need a little update to them. I still don't understand why the showers had half a door.
When it comes to food there is always something to eat at anytime of the day. Even at 5am when you get hunger from partying all night. The buffet was amazing for breakfast and lunch. Great choices and even food prepared for you on the spot. At nighttime my family and I ate at all the restaurants. We enjoyed each one, and was amazed from all the delicious food we ate. Also the service we received from all the workers, especially Carmine and Victor . My family are big lobster eaters so we also ate at the all you can eat lobster night, it was an extra $40 a person but it was worth every penny. In some restaurants we did have to wait an hour but a few we only waited for 20 mins or less. The coco cafe had great coffee and cakes if you're a coffee drinker like us new yorkers.
During the day we spent our time at the beach and pool side. The beach were well kept, very clean, and clear waters always. You can even see your toes (something people from New York are not use to). The beach was very relaxing and a great place to hanglow and enjoy a nice drink or two. There was always seats available no matter what time you got there. For the pools we stood by the swim up pool which was great. The swim up bar was fantastic , especially the bar tenders Francisco 1, Francisco 2, and Indiana. They always made sure our cups were filled and made amazing drinks.
Nightlife, we always missed the shows because of the time we ate dinner. After dinner we would grab some drinks in the lobby watch their live singing before heading to the casino and the disco. The casino was small and simple with slot machines, and tables. The disco was actually really fun, great drinks, great music, and dancing. It was a great experience and made new friends from around the world. The bartenders Jordin and Alexandra kept the drinks going and great service. The disco closes at 2am so everyone would head over to the beach and continue to party. If you have children younger they have their own personal hangout spot with games, activity and music. My 14 years old sister did enjoy going there at nighttime. Entertainment you can always find. With such an amazing entertainment team like Treasure and Eddy Murphy.
Overall this was an amazing vacation and I will recommend it to everyone.This hotel is great for families, couples, and even a group of friends of any age group. I would go back in a heartbeat.
Dreams LaRomana thank you for the amazing service and a great experience in your hotel.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Newburgh, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

The place was lovely, very clean and constantly maintained in quiet ways, unobtrusively. The entire staff was professional and very helpful at all times. Victor at the front desk was extremely helpful as was King and a wonderful young woman named Darling. Our room was clean and the bed was so comfortable, taken care of early in the day. The main pool was gigantic, lots of music and activities there and a wonderful server named Yahiha who took care of us all day, always with a smile. The infinity pool is more quiet and over looks the sea, very nice. We like all the restaurants, esp. the French and Italian. A special thanks to David and Petersan, great service!
I also want to mention Manny (or Manino) a wonderful waiter who went out of his way to keep us happy with plaintains and salsa poolside! At the breakfast buffet, the selection was fantastic, the hostesses were friendly and a special thank you to Ronnie, so funny and pleasant every morning.
As for the beach, it was a little smaller than I thought but very clean and tons of chairs under lots of shady palms. Drink service on the beach was also excellent. The only negative I can give here is the casino, which was just a room with about a dozen machines and 2 tables, hardly can be called a casino at all. Other than that, Dreams La Romana was great and affordable too.

Room Tip: There are no elevators and some buildings have a third floor, so choose a ground floor unless you do...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

My friend and I visited this beautiful resort in June 2014. We both agreed that this place was pure paradise. It was very picturesque immaculately clean, and the staff simply couldn't do enough to make our stay 1st class. The varied restaurants (no booking required) were tip top where needing to dress up to dine made it extra special.All of which were of no extra costs.
We took breakfast in the buffet restaurant each morning, overlooking the flamingos, The staff were exceptional there too and extremely friendly, particularly Belkis Frutas..
We visited the private beach daily where once again the staff/service was brilliant. Amazingly one of the staff there went above and beyond the call of duty, where I lost my sunglasses in the sea and this towel assistant ( think he was named Loky Loky) immediately jumped into action by getting his snorkel and goggles and off he went... amazingly he retrieved my glasses. What a man:)
The only downside to our vacation was the 'time share' pressure sales.. however we did voice our negativity to these people directly, not rudely, but they did get the message..

All in all.. most definitely a place we would love to return to..Well done..

Room Tip: rooms near the premier class are more peaceful, however we never experienced any excessive noise any...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Vanderbilt Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW via mobile

Hey guys is Courtney and Alexis from Virginia. I have to thank you all for the most amazing experience we've ever had. Junior always greeted us with the warmest smile. Went out of his way to ensure we were taken care of. Alex, Jordin and Junior2 from the disco were AMAZING! so much fun! And boy can they dance! Eddy Murphy.. thanks for the bottle of rum we won playing ring toss on the beach. The staff were all very welcoming but these guys literally made our vacation! We will miss you all. Seriously. Our friends already know your names. Haha.

• Stayed August 2014

Been to Dreams La Romana? Share your experiences!