“a great holiday...” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Dreams La Romana

You added Dreams La Romana to your Saves list
Dreams La Romana
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playa Bayahibe | P.O. Box 80, Bayahibe, Dominican Republic   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Bayahibe
wales
“a great holiday...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2014 via mobile

Just returned from the Dreams La Romana ...why do people make negative comments about staff at this hotel? They were ALL so friendly, helpful and polite...with a special thanks to JOSE, INGRID and VICTOR at the restaurant Bordeaux and JOLY at the towel place. First class people. I can't remember all the names but wish I could as I can't praise them enough. Hotel was great but it's the people working there who help to make the stay special. Thank you ALL. Hope to return...

Stayed April 2014
Mr J M, Chief Concierge at Dreams La Romana, responded to this review, May 1, 2014
Dear Guest

We are delighted to learn that your stay here at our beautiful resort met with your expectations, and we thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience

We will make sure to pass on your kind comments to the staff mentioned who helped make your stay even better, and we certainly hope we have the chance to welcome you back again very soon!

Chief Concierge

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,183)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Ottawa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2014

Perfect location, meals and activities for adults and kids alike. We visited this location with a party of 13 including two kids under 5. Good selection of food at various restaurants. Activities for the kids and themed activities during the afternoon and evenings. Great overall service. Cleaning service and Restaurant service really do deserve tips (even being for an all inclusive resort) as they do a terrific job and appreciate the tips. I would suggest, if you plan to give a tip, do it at the end of your stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a poolside room (Block 3), it is convenient with kids and the pool closes at 6PM so quiet at...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Dear Guest

Thank you for choosing our wonderful resort as your holiday destination and we appreciate the time you have taken to tell us about your experience

It is a real honor that you have rated us 5 stars and we are delighted that your time here exceeded your expectations, it would be a great pleasure to welcome you back again in the near future

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2014

I can honestly say I do not know how someone can not give a good review about this hotel we paid to upgrade to preferred club and it's definitely worth the money. The waiter service around the pool is so good and all of the staff couldn't be any friendlier. The hotel is spotless and the rooms are big, the beds are comply and the restaurants amazing my favourite being the French restaurant. I would recommend this hotel to everyone.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Guest

Thank you for the time you have taken to tell us about your experience, it was a pleasure to be your hosts during your stay at our wonderful resort.

We are so pleased that your time here met with your expectations, and we are so glad you enjoyed the benefits of our Preferred Club, as well as our delicious Bordeaux restaurant!

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future

Ft. Smith, Arkansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2014

For a family bringing children, this is a great resort. For a huge, diverse group, say a big wedding party, this is a great resort. For a couple wanting a romantic getaway, it's just okay. This is a family oriented resort. There are a lot of kids everywhere. There were kids at the swim up bar in the pool. There were kids running around the lobby bar all evening. There is no section of the resort for adults only, except for one restaurant named Bordeaux. There is no pool or beach area that will be kid free. Had I known this before booking, my wife and I would have picked a different place. We have stayed at many other all-inclusive resorts that weren't adults only, and none of them had a quarter of the kids running around as this resort. That being said, here's what we thought:
We flew into La Romana (LRM) via American Airlines. The resort is only 15 minutes from LRM, so I highly recommend flying into that airport versus Punta Cana or Santo Domingo. It's a small airport and was easy to get through. You do have to pay $10 US per person fee for your tourist pass before going through customs. We took a taxi from LRM to Dreams, which was $35 US each way but was for the vehicle, not per person. Check in was pretty easy, although we had to wait a few minutes for our room to be ready. As we had arrived at 4:30 PM, we thought that was strange, but found that to be the earliest our room would be cleaned all week. We were given room 7344, which was in the 7th building, which is one of the furthest West buildings and was a long walk to anything unless you are a Preferred Club member. The Preferred Club pool is right between buildings 5 and 7. Our room was on the third floor, which was a chore, as none of the buildings have elevators. Our room was clean and nice, with a soft bed. The room was cleaned daily between 5 and 6 PM which was inconvenient, as we were returning from the beach or pool around that time to get ready for dinner. Our room was at the end of the building, so I guess it was one of the last ones they cleaned each day. They did do a great job cleaning the room, however. The mini fridge was stocked daily with water, sodas, and beer. The room had a thermostat, but it didn't seem to work. The A/C ran all the time unless you turned the unit off. The room never got very cold, though.
Breakfast every day was at the World Cafe, which is a huge buffet with several omelet chefs that will fix your omelet how you want. There were always lots of options at the buffet. For lunch, there was the beach grill, which served hamburgers/hot dogs, the Pizzeria by the main pool, the Seaside Grill, which had a menu, and the World Cafe, which had a buffet. All of them are pretty good. Seaside Grill was my favorite for lunch. The coffee shop, Coco Cafe, offers coffees and snacks all day. We stopped by there almost every day. Dinner had many options, and we tried them all except for the World Cafe buffet. One thing worth mentioning is that none of the restaurants require reservations. Some of the restaurants have a dress code, and they are enforced. Every specialty restaurant was good. Portofino and Bordeaux were my favorites, and El Patio and the Jungle were my least favorite. Be careful when ordering the fish at the Jungle, as it claimed to be deboned but wasn't. It is also served as a whole fish, with the head and tail on, with a glassy eye staring at you. It was not what I was expecting. Other than that, all the specialty restaurants were pretty good.
The grounds at this resort are amazing. They are meticulous with their groundskeeping. It's one of the cleaner resorts I've been to. The beach and pool areas are nice, but you do have to get up early to get a prime spot. We were always able to round up a couple of lounge chairs after some hunting, though.
We were given a promotional $200 in resort credit, which was a joke. We were given a coupon book with some $40 spa coupons, $20 spa coupons, and $10 wine coupons. You could only use one per service, and the prices were so high that you were still paying retail prices after using the coupons. The wine list was the same way. Upon receiving the coupons, they tried to upsell us on the Preferred Club and were pushy about it. We were approached several times during our stay to try to sell the Preferred Club. They wanted us to sit though a 90 minute presentation, which sounded to me very similar to a time share promotion. Having been through that hell before, I declined each time they offered it.
The resort is a short walk down the beach to Bayahibe, a small fishing village, which has some shops and restaurants. It's a neat place to check out, but beware the vendors along the way. They're pretty pushy and they don't offer the deals for souvenirs like you'd get in Mexico. There are a couple of evenings during the week when the resort will allow vendors to set up booths by the main pool, and they are the same way. They have a regular gift shop on site and you can buy souvenirs, snacks, toiletries, etc. Do not forget to bring sunscreen, as the gift shop charges $20 US for a small bottle.
I dove one day with the resort's dive shop, Gri Gri, and the dives were pretty good, but the price for a two tank dive was expensive ($110 US), especially when I brought all of my own gear. They also made you set up your gear at the dive center and carry it, tank and all, across the beach to the boat. They put us on a small 6-pack boat, which I normally don't mind, but the seas were rough that day, so we were all soaked within seconds of boarding. Being that I had to haul my gear from the opposite side of the resort and then haul it back and forth to the boat, I didn't bother diving again.
We booked a Saona Island tour through Gri Gri. The price was $75 US per person. They left from the dive center and took us out with a group of 25 or so to a trimaran power boat that took us to a shallow area 3-4 ft deep where there were starfish everywhere along a sandy bottom. We were able to pick them up and have pictures made while holding them. Then we went to Saona where they had a lunch prepared and offered snorkeling while there. It was a fun trip, and they offered plenty of rum on the boat to keep things lively on the trip back. There are many other tour operators that do a Saona Island tour, and I would probably book with someone other than Gri Gri the next time. It wasn't bad at all, but their boat was pretty run down when compared to the other boats that we passed doing the same tour. I do definitely recommend doing the Saona Island tour, whether it's with Gri Gri or someone else.
We also booked a photo shoot with the photo shop by the main pool. They took quite a few nice pictures, but their prices are outrageous. Their smallest photo album- 25 pictures- was $450 US. Print or digital pics were $10 US each. We bought a CD with 10 pics on it for $100 US. Last year, we bought a 25 pic photo album from the Cozumel Palace and it was much cheaper.
The area this resort is in- Bayahibe- is neat. I preferred this area over Punta Cana. The water is calmer, and there is a town nearby that you can walk to. I don't like feeling stuck at a resort.
Overall, this is a nice resort. It's by far the largest resort I've ever stayed at. Service overall was a little slow, but wasn't the best or worst I've had at AI resorts. The food was good. The kids were many. I give it 5 stars for families or large groups. For a couples retreat, 3 stars. If I go back to the Dominican Republic, I'd probably stay in this area again, but at a different resort.

Room Tip: Buildings 5 and 7 are near the Preferred Club pool and would be recommended for PC members. For eve...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest

We are very pleased that you chose our wonderful hotel to be your hosts during your vacation and as always we thank you for the time you have taken to share your experience.

We thank you kindly for your feedback, we are sorry that you did not realize that we were not an adults only resort and we apologize for any inconvenience regarding this, we always take on board our much valued guests feedback as this is an excellent way of making improvements in the future, so with that in mind we very much appreciate all of your comments

Lenoir City, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2014

Went here with my best friends and sister for my 40th birthday, and we were all blown away! Beautiful grounds, pools, beach, and friendly service. We went Preferred Club and it was well worth the $. Manuel, Omega, and Eddy Murphy were all hilarious and FUN! Loved everything about this place and it Exceeded all of our expectations! Weather was perfect. Rooms were clean and lots of little extra touches made it AWESOME! I would def go back to this resort! Highly recommend!

Room Tip: 3rd floor rooms in Preferred Club have wood vaulted ceilings
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Guest

Thank you for choosing our beautiful hotel as your holiday destination and we appreciate the time you have taken to tell us about your experience

We are delighted that your stay here exceeded your expectations, your feedback has been a pleasure to read, and we will certainly pass on your kind comments to the staff mentioned who helped make your stay even better.

Come back and visit us soon!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2014

We have just returned from two weeks at this hotel and wow, what an amazing trip we had!

We were a party of 20 including myself and my groom, and we couldn't have asked for a better setting for our big day. The hotel staff are amazing, the cocktails and champagne are yummy and plentiful!

I'm not sure how anyone can complain about the size of the beach it's a great size and we always got a bed, even during the Easter weekend when the hotel was very busy!

Our rooms were in blocks 5 and 7 and these are the best rooms at the hotel - we also moved after 10 days into the honeymoon master suite which was simply stunning - we had our own private pool! It was great, although there were a few nosey neighbours coming to take a look when our pool/ jacuzzi was going! But we didn't mind too much, there were a lot of well-wishers.

The preferred club is well worth the money and the staff there are wonderful, Bianca, Julissa and Marcia are wonderful and Marcia - thank you for being so lovely throughout the fortnight, I was glad I got to see you before we left! :)

The grounds are immaculate there is always a lot of staff maintaining the grounds and the pools.

The restaurants were great and catered to everyone in the group - our particular favourites were the Portofino (Italian) Bordeaux (French) and the Seaside Grill. I wasn't too keen on the Asian fusion and Oceana but they were still nice. The buffet was great too and the seaside grill deck was fab for lunch too! Special thanks to Zacaria, Jose Maku and Victor for always being friendly and smiley when we saw you :-)

There are plenty of activities, I tried cocktail making, salsa and water aerobics and some of our party went scuba diving. You can do as little or as much as you like. There is always something going on at the beach and there's often parties on the beach at lunch. The entertainment team are great, Edwin, Rhianna, and especially Eddie Murphy made our trip so much fun!

The spa is beautiful, we had a couples massage and I had hair and make up for the wedding and it's fab - the tropical gardens are a lovely getaway and so quiet as well.

We also had a private dinner at the gazebo a few days after the wedding, it was very romantic although a word of caution - there were a fair few bugs hanging around our meal for two that were attracted by the lights!

I can say wholeheartedly that we all had a fantastic trip, people can pick holes in things all the time, but in a beautiful resort with loved ones and lots of food and wine, why complain about a thing? Relax and have fun! We all certainly did :-)

If any brides are thinking of this as a wedding venue, please check out my full wedding review here http://www.bestdestinationwedding.com/index.php?app=reviews&module=reviews&section=reviews&do=view&id=4432 Special thanks to Yanna and Piro for being such AMAZING wedding planners, you gave us the best day ever!

Happy holidays!

Room Tip: Go preferred club and if you're on honeymoon, the master suite is a must!
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Dear Guest

We are thrilled that you decided to host your wedding day here at our beautiful resort, and we are delighted that your big day was everything you imagined and more.

We are so happy to hear you enjoyed the benefits of our Preferred Club, and that you enjoyed our delicious food selection, your feedback has been a pleasure to read.

We look forward to welcoming you back again in the future!

lancashire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2014

we stayed at Dreams la Romana in late January 2014 with a large group of friends, we had a great time and there was loads to keep you occupied if that's what you want or if you just want to laze by the beach or sea then that's ok too.
the hotel itself is very nice and the main buildings are open plan, its very clean and staff are very helpful. the food in the main buffet was very good. there are a number of a la carte restaurants included and most are excellent , personally we didn't like the Chinese but the rest were really nice. you did have to wait for most a la cartes but this wasn't a problem as they give you a pager and you can return to any bar, and you'll receive a page when your tables ready.
I must mention that most of our group came down with some sort of tummy bug during our stay most shaking it off within a few hours but a couple were ill for a couple of days, although we couldn't pinpoint where it had come from, and I didn't hear of any major problems within the hotel.
and all restaurants have hand sanitizers at the front door.
the hotel room itself was clean and pretty much like most hotel rooms, although we did have a small problem with our over bath shower leaking on the floor.
the beach gets very crowded and like lots of people feel we only got a sunbed with some shade because we got up early. The sea is beautifully clear and turquoise.
there is a beach bar service with staff attending you at your bedside.
The bars in general we very good and you never waited long, with the international brands very welcome.
we didn't really do entertainment apart from a little team volleyball, but there is plenty going on both throughout the day and in the evening.
the hotel boasts a coffee shop with pastries which is a really nice touch.
A big downside for me and I assume for lots of people is wifi !,Dreams charge for this and whilst I don't expect it to be free I know some hotels do offer it free in reception ect.
the bit that grates is that not only do they charge for this but the $25 you spend is only for 6 days ! meaning if your there for 2 weeks and want wifi every day its $75, you can only use it on one device too so if you have an iPhone and ipad it'll cost you $50 per 6 days.
I felt a little ripped off with this.
the local town is a 10 min walk down the beach and was safe and welcoming.

I would recommend this hotel and would consider returning.

Room Tip: Block 2 was very quiet.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Guest

We are very grateful for the time you have taken to tell us about your experience and we appreciate the fact that you chose our beautiful hotel as your holiday destination

We are very happy to hear that your enjoyed your stay here with us, we are pleased that you enjoyed our delicious food selection along with our Coco Café!

We hope we have the chance to welcome you back again very soon!

Chief Concierge

Been to Dreams La Romana? Share your experiences!