“Excellent experience” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Dreams La Romana

You added Dreams La Romana to your Saves list
Dreams La Romana
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playa Bayahibe | P.O. Box 80, Bayahibe, Dominican Republic   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Bayahibe
Cary, North Carolina
“Excellent experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2014

We went to Dreams La Romana in February 2014. It was 2 adults and 3-year old. All 3 of us had the best time ever: the staff was extremely nice, our room was ocean front on the 3 floor, which meant vaulted ceilings and some exercise:). The food at the buffet was exceptional and the presentation especially at dinner was beautiful.
My son went to Explorer's club and Genesis and other girls there made sure he was taken care of and had a great time. They even had a pirate day, camping night, bungee jumping and so much more.
Entertainment was great. We loved doing yoga on the beach, aerobics with Picasso and dancing with Rihanna and other girls and guys as they all dance great (Chocolate, Edward, Felix come first to mind).
I went to the gym to work out and the staff on duty were so great and helpful. I even got personal lessons as it sure felt that way. Don't forget to smell essential oils in the spa that are made in DR (sweet orange is my favorite) and drink some chlorophyll water: so good for you and it is free!
They just opened a gelato store that unfortunately is extra cost but boy it was worth it: it is made in DR by real Italians using their old traditional method.
The little stores they have at the resort are great: we bought a number of things there that were unique and well priced.
Remember not to feed the flamingos: some tourists were very rude and claimed it was not written in their language and proceeded feeding poor flamingos. Our people food is very damaging for them.
I will even mention my favorite towel girl Joly that became my friend there as we spoke everyday while I was walking by or getting my towels.
Always keep your eyes peeled on the schedule: there are so many fun events, you will never be bored. And the water is gorgeous: swim a lot.
The locals and the staff love it when you smile, say excellente, and try to speak Spanish even if you just say Aqua, mucho gracias etc. Your experience will be so much better if you are happy and nice. They live at their job and deserve to be respected!
Have fun and I hope my review was helpful.

Room Tip: I liked top floor ocean view not front as I like it more quiet. We were in building #3, which was ri...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Mr J M, Chief Concierge at Dreams La Romana, responded to this review, March 11, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Dreams La Romana as your holiday destination and we appreciate the time you have taken to post a review of your experience,

We are delighted that your time at our wonderful resort exceeded your expectations, and we are pleased that you enjoyed our entertainment team, and that your son enjoyed our Explorer's club, we appreciate all of your great feedback!

We hope to welcome you back again soon!

Chief Concierge

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,181)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2014

We are an extended family of 7 that traveled February 23 for one week. We ranged in ages from 21-85. This ended up being the perfect place for us and exceeded our dreams.

Resort highlights-
>Easy to get around. Well laid out property. Seniors had no problems getting around in fact we saw many wheelchairs and strollers around the property so access is easy.
>Staff go beyond their duties to assist you. Very well trained in hospitality!
>So many activities you will never have time for all of them. They slip a paper under your door in the evening to show the activities for the next day plus all the restaurants and their hours.
>Extremely clean grounds and buildings. Even the guys who walk around picking up glasses for the bars move swiftly and efficiently so they can return them for washing. I'm convinced they must get paid by the bag and not by the hour!
>One of the most gorgeous warm infinity swim up bar pools facing the ocean. Its on the web cam if you want to take a peak! The other pools are stunning as well.
>Top shelf liquor but make sure you ask or you will get regular stuff. Bar man is Alexander at the lobby bar. He sure knows his drinks and always has a smile for you.
>Entertainment staff put on great shows and really go full out to keep you entertained.
>I heard some people say rooms were outdated, worn and noisy but we did not find this. Our rooms were lovely, spacious and smelled fresh. Wonderful maids.
>Alacarte lunch overlooking the ocean at the Seaside Grill was our favourite lunch place.
>Fresh made pizza by the pool was the best pizza we've had in the Caribbean and always hot!
>No reservation dinners at the Alacartes were the best we've ever had at a 5 star. Food was excellent, staff were well trained and professional and decor was something you would find in a high end restaurant in North America. Loved the candles on the table! The staff at the French Bordeaux restaurant did a fabulous job wishing our parents a very Happy 61st Wedding Anniversary. They were thrilled!
>Ocean was warm and the most beautiful colour of turquoise blue. Lovely soft white sand. Lots of lounge chairs to be found if you were up by 8 or 9am. Lots of palm tress for shade and quite a few large palapas. The ocean is not very wavy which is nice for floating and relaxing. Not a long long beach but the quality of beach makes up for the lack of distance to walk.
>Louise the e-concierge was very helpful for room requests due to our elderly parents. Lovely lady and extremely professional. She was our email link to the resort prior to our arrival.
>We saw many weddings set up here and think this place is the perfect place for a wedding since it suits so many ages groups. They do a fabulous job making the day special by what we could see from watching the set up and happy couples and families around the resort.
>We booked the private pool with lobster lunch and couples massage and felt it was well worth it.
>We would book the preferred next time for the breakfast at the Seaside grill and lovely quiet pool and beach. It's not for everyone but we thought it would be nice next time if it's just my husband and I and no kids.
>Loved watching the boats at Bayahibe each day. This area is popular for excursions.
>Pretty pink flamingos on the path between the Buffet and the Lobby.
>Modern lounge and bar areas. Furniture is in great shape and new looking. Loved the conversation areas near the bar where the Italian and the French Restaurant are. Nice chill out area.
>We were never bothered by time share people but knew where to go to see them.
>Easy 40 minute drive to the airport in Punta Cana. The new highway is fantastic!
>Starbucks type coffee shop near the main pool and lobby for tea, coffee, iced Capps etc and snacks. There is even a gelato place across from there but it's extra $ but very good.
>Nice volley ball court in the sand and many people playing.
>Lovely fresh fruit served on the beach in a blue boat beside the volley ball court.
>Kids and teens can be kept busy all day. They are well equipped for them. Loved seeing the kids watching movies on the beach or pool. Adults and seniors are kept busy too!
>None of us got sick from the resort. We never drank tap water but did drink pitchers of water at tables and had ice in our drinks. We always washed our hands before eating and used hand sanitizer at the buffet that was handed out at the entrance. Great idea Dreams!

Only negatives but can be improved....
>This place needs free WIFI. Free WIFI is like running water these days. It should be included. Signing into the access code and having to sign out every time we needed to use our wifi plan was a big pain in the you know what. The signal was ok on our iPhones but we had some trouble with our iPad sending emails with attachments. It was like sending a shark through a worm hole!
>Buffet was the weakest I've seen in many places we have been including Cuba. I was surprised how dimly lit it was considering how high the ceilings were. The food serving area has low ceilings and the sound can't go anywhere so it's really noisy. There is only one main walking area where the food is located so you are trying to get by people carrying their plates plus staff carrying trays. It was a hectic place at 8 am! Either install a traffic light (joking) or spread out the food stations so people can access the food from all sides rather than walking up and down that main traffic isle. Buffets that have islands are much easier to access for large groups of people. Another beef of mine was ONE toaster for the entire buffet....are you kidding me? I just had cold bread than wait through the line up. Many times there was only one made to order egg station open which was another line up so forget that.... I wasn't interested in waiting since my toast would have been cold by then. The frustrating thing was the line up was right in front of the food trays so I had to plead with the people in line to access those trays of food. Many times the food was cold and I know this is because when I felt the actual metal tray it was cold so no wonder the food got cold fast since there was no heat coming from below. I didn't think the food quality was that great compared to the alacarte food we ate on the rest of the property. The furniture in the buffet was similar to the resorts in Cuba and the linens in the morning had seen better days. I really didn't expect this here at Dreams. It seemed like the overall experience at the buffet was at a completely different resort when compared to the fabulous Dreams Alacartes. Next time we will book preferred to avoid the breakfast buffet. Staff were great in the buffet by the way. Always got hot coffee and tea in a timely manner and our plates cleared when necessary. They just need to revamp the logistics of the food stations and do something with the decor to make the buffet on par with the rest of the resort. So if you're wondering why many reviews say..."The buffet was just ok" now you know what they mean.
Overall the wonderful highlights of Dreams La Romana make up for the lack of free WIFI and the weak buffet. We loved this place and will be back and will recommend this resort to others.
Only other thing I would add would be to try and get a flight into La Romana instead of Punta Cana because the Punta Cana airport is really busy and crowded with so many travellers all congested into one area and so many flights. The 40 minute bus ride was no problem but we felt the Punta Cana airport was one of the worst organized airports we had ever visited and we travel many times a year for business and pleasure all over the place.
If you want more information on Dreams La Romana go to the Trip Advisor Bayahibe Forum and read posts by fellow travellers and destination experts who are more than willing to answer questions. It's a wealth of information.
Thanks Dreams La Romana for making our family trip so memorable! 5 Stars Exceeded our Dreams:)

Room Tip: We loved building 2 so we could be near the infinity pool. We had a view of the pool and ocean (slig...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Mr J M, Chief Concierge at Dreams La Romana, responded to this review, April 8, 2014
Dear Guest,

We thank you kindly for choosing Dreams La Romana as your holiday destination and we appreciate all of your wonderful feedback.

We are delighted that you have left such an in depth review which I am sure will be a great help to our future guests, it has been a pleasure to read your comments.

We hope to welcome you back again very soon!

Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2014

With all of the mixed reviews I wasn't sure what to expect from this resort, but we had a lovely time. We traveled as a group of 6 ladies, and we all enjoyed the resort very much. It is very nice and clean, the grounds are immaculate, and the spa was fantastic! The layout of the resort is well thought out and accessible. The food was good, and always a nice selection to choose from. The beach was crowded, but the water was very calm and aqua blue. Considering what we paid for this vacation we feel that the value was well beyond our expectations! We stayed in the building 3 over looking the swim up bar. The beach is not very long, so no big long walks along the beach are possible.

Room Tip: 2nd or 3rd floor room avoids the hallways being used walk ways and are much quieter.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Kerrie,

Thank you for allowing Dreams La Romana to be your hosts during your vacation and we appreciate the time you have taken to share your experience

We are delighted that your time with us exceeded your expectations and we appreciate all of your wonderful feedback, we are very honored.

We hope to welcome you back again very soon!

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2014

My family & I went to Dreams La Romana mid-November on our sixth trip. Absolutely love it and love it more each time we go. Fabulous place all around, starting from the from the staff as representatives of Dreams to the restaurants, beach, pools and general atmosphere!
There are so many activities available and really not enough hours in the day in which to do them, unless, of course, you just want to lie in your longer chair and let the sun & water do the rest!! Perfectly fun when in this small paradise. The Explorer's Club for the children is wonderfully staffed and kids truly enjoy all that is offered to them from morning to night. Restaurants have excellent & plentiful food and complimentary room service is available 24/7, biiiiig plus especially when traveling with kids. Very kid friendly resort! This has become a beloved annual destination vacation soon to become twice a year, I hope!
The waters are always calm and beautifully inviting and we have been lucky, NOTHING but a soft wave!! The grounds are kept impeccably clean and well trimmed and colorful. Full service spa as well, gym also, although I only had time for one visit...I can do all these at home, no need to take time out from the sun & beach!!!!
The staff is terrific everywhere you go, and it is hard to single our people as they all collectively deserve a 5 Satr salute for making this resort run so smoothly!
Rene & Glennis, in my opinion, are two of the warmest & efficient "good will ambassadors" in the hospitality industry. Rene & Glennis are definite assets to the resort and their expediency, professionalism and efficiently are most appreciated! I think they deserve a big congratulation for their efforts to accommodate guests' requests. And, with a warm smile, too!! It all starts with management and their example is surely followed.
I miss Dreams La Romana and wish we could be there right NOW. I love the comfort of going back to a fabulous and always improving familiar surrounding and look forward to many annual trips there!!!!! Thank you everyone at DLR for making our annual stay there so great!!!

Room Tip: Prefer the 2nd floor in any building simply for having more of an overview.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Cavan, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2014

We stayed here for our honeymoon in the perferred club. Perferred club was a great choice as we had a private pool area and beach area. The beach can get a bit crowded so you need to get there early if you want a prime spot. Staff were extremly helpful and friendly. The resort was exceptionally clean. Lots of things to do in teh resort and also day trips outside the resort. Recommend to anyone to do a day trip with the Bavaro Runners as you get to see how the locals live and also a trip to Saona Island where you go snorkling and swim in a natural swimming pool in the ocean.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2014

I recently stayed at Dreams La Romana on a "girls" getaway with members of my family and I was pleasantly surprised how wonderful the resort was. The rooms were clean, service was extremely good, the staff very helpful and friendly and the amenities were also excellent - very good value for money spent. We were greeted on the first day by the friendly and ever accommodating Geraldine at the front desk who quickly helped to change rooms so that our party was all in the same building and on the same floor. We celebrated two special birthdays while we were there and the staff was very helpful in helping us make arrangements, in particular, Benjamin at Restaurant Bordeaux who couldn't have been more helpful. We all had a wonderful time and highly recommend the resort.

Room Tip: Rooms on the second floor are quieter.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Mr J M, Chief Concierge at Dreams La Romana, responded to this review, March 6, 2014
Dear Shelley

Thank you for allowing us here at Dreams La Romana to be your hosts during your much anticipated vacation and we appreciate the time you have taken to post a review of your stay with us

We are thrilled that your time here exceeded your expectations, and we are so thankful for your wonderful comments regarding our staff, particularly Geraldine and Benjamin. We really hope we have the pleasure of serving you again in the future.

Southampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2014

I went to Dreams La Romana with my (adult) family from 10-24 January and I have one thing to say... "WOW"! We had such an amazing time, the whole place is amazing and the food is out of this world. We only ate in the main buffet restrauant once, on our first night, but the food was very good. We ate in the french, italian, seafood, seaside grill, mexican and asian, and the good was such good quality. All the staff were very friendly, especially the member of the enterainment staff known as Eddy Murphy. The waitresses on the beach were also very friendly and helpful, especially Jazmin and Karina. We just had such a great holiday and I would love to go back to this hotel and would not hesitate to recommend it.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Dreams La Romana as your holiday destination and we very much appreciate the time you have taken to share your experience with others.

We are so pleased to learn that your much anticipated vacation with us exceeded your expectations, we are very happy that you enjoyed our extensive food selection, and we appreciate your wonderful feedback.

It would be our pleasure to serve you again in the future

Chief Concierge

Been to Dreams La Romana? Share your experiences!