“Won't be back” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Dreams La Romana

You added Dreams La Romana to your Saves list
Dreams La Romana
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playa Bayahibe | P.O. Box 80, Bayahibe, Dominican Republic   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Bayahibe
Chicago, Illinois
“Won't be back”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

3rd time at the Dominican, the first 2 was at Punta Cana, Secret Excellence and Melia Caribe Tropical. 1st time at La Romana at Dreams La Romana Resort and Spa. Compared to the 2 places I've been in Punta Cana, this resort has nothing to offer. From the airport 2 hours drive to the place. Receptionist slow checking in, the rooms is clean, thank you to our housekeeper Herminia Herrera, great lady, very good at her job. The beach is great and clean, but would be great if they have server at the beach that would come by more often. They only served the fresh coconut if you are upgrade, which is not the case at Secret or Melia. They don't have premium drink again unless you upgrade. The food is average, anywhere at the place, buffet, or restaurant. Nothing is special. The food presentation is average. No wifi unless you pay for it which is outrageous amount of money. The only thing I had fun with is the staff named Picazzo and Jacob, they somehow become my family and makes you sad leaving. Other than that I don't think I will be back.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Rudy R, General Manager at Dreams La Romana, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Trip Advisor response to - 613Nothappy

Dear Guest,

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for choosing Dreams La Romana as your holiday destination and we very much appreciate the time you have taken to write a review of your stay with us.

We are very disappointed to learn certain aspects of your stay at our wonderful resort failed to meet with your expectations, please allow me to clarify some points if I may, premium drinks can be found in our lobby bar which is for all of our guests to enjoy, premium is not limited to our preferred guests we are sorry if this did not reach out to you as expected.

We are very sorry that you did not enjoy our extensive food selection, along with our world café buffet we have 7 a'la carte restaurants for our much valued guests to enjoy, it is disappointing to us that none of this appealed to you.

Regarding our wifi, we do currently charge for the use of this, however we are working towards having free wifi throughout our resort and we hope this will be in place very soon.

However, in spite of some issues that you encountered we are very pleased to hear that you enjoyed the use of our beach and that our entertainment team helped make your stay with us more enjoyable, we will certainly pass on your kind comments to the staff mentioned.

We do hope you reconsider your decision to not return to our resort, as it would give us great pleasure to serve you once again.

Resident Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,161)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013 via mobile

Me and my husband just went for our 2 year anniversary, it was wonderful. The staff was excellent all around, very clean and very friendly. The entertaiment at this resort was the best ive ever seen, very talented. They had a acrobat act that made the circus look bad, it was great! The drinks at the bars were fantastic, try a carribean queen it was our favorite. The resturants were great, if you want a great steak try the ribeye at the seaside grill. The mexican resturant was also really good. They had a whole day filled with fun on the fourth of July. But my favorite part was the infinity pool, you can sip on your cocktail while staring into the beautiful carribean ocean..breathtaking!!! If you want a vacation of a lifetime you will find it at Dreams La Romana.

• Stayed July 2013
Rudy R, General Manager at Dreams La Romana, responded to this review, July 7, 2013
Trip Advisor response to - NicoleMSkeen

Dear Guest.

May I take this opportunity to thank you for choosing Dreams La Romana as your holiday destination and we thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay with us.

We are delighted to hear your time at our wonderful resort met with your expectations and we thank you kindly for all of your wonderful feedback.

We would love you to return to our resort in the future as it would be a great pleasure to serve you once again.

Sayreville, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

Just came back on July 4th. Stayed 8 days with wife and 2 kids (10 and 16) After researching and reading many reviews we booked this resort base on the property reviews and the cost of package (preferred room $5443 with air for 4). I try to read as many bad reviews and try to analyze and ask is it the problems due to hotel or person's expectation or bad things happened to traveler. We have been to other all inclusive resorts such as Beaches with family and Sandals with just my wife. Base on my experience I will try to write an objective and not to be personal feeling.
1. Tranfer and reception and check in: We land in Punta Cana and about 40 min drive to hotel. I used Dominican Airport Transportation for transfer (hotel does not provide transfer) to hotel and to airport. Private car, clean and air conditioned. Spent less than 5 min before we were in the taxi and picked us up at the hotel on time. We had preferred room so we were taken to preferred lounge and registration was quick and done in comfortable room with snacks and drinks we were served. I show there were some lines at the check in lobby some mornings so some may experience delay at the check in counter. One way to avoid this is travel middle of week not weekend.
2. Room and property: Room very clean and smelled fresh not moldy. Clean bathroom and comfortable bed with nice linen and cover. However size is little small for family of 4 but enough closet but only 2 clothing drawers not good. The Air condition was quiet. The room looks like renovated recently. Stayed in 7203 preferred section. Over all room is closer to very good but I am not sure about not preferred side of rooms. The property is very clean. Common area and pool area bathrooms were cleaned often. This is very large resort with many guests all you can ask is consistent clean up crews working around the resort and they do.
3. Beach: This area is where each person's expectation differ and see differently. although we felt this was a beautiful and nice beach some may not like as we did because of sea weed washing up and milky looking sea water due to very fine sands. These are very minor problems which depending on a day's condition lesser of problems and some section of beach you will not find these problems. I rate beach above average.
4. Pools: 3 pools all clean and good. We spent most of our pool time at preferred pool which is smallest pool with about less than 60 to 50 people so quiet and pool side service is quicker and you can walk up to bar and gets served with out any wait. Also rest room was locate very close to pool. Main pool will have inflated slides for kids and we spent little time when my 10 yrs old son wants to. Infinity pool was ok too.
5. Pool and beach area chairs and towels: Unless you want to sit specific chair you do not need to go out morning time to put your towel. Some still do. In preferred pool area has the attendant station to give towels and arrange you with chairs and umbrella if you ask. As preferred guest we can get towels any time we wanted. I think non preferred guest receive tickets each day for towels. But getting towel is not problem for either case.
6. Food: This is area we did not like that much. I think they are below average. Nevertheless we found some we like. My son and I liked room service menu and buffet. The specialty restaurants were hit and miss. Over all they are just below average. Asian is worst. My daughter and wife went to French and they liked it. Some reviews stated like foods are bad and nothing to eat. Although it is below average they have variety and if you do not fine some you like then I do not know what to tell you. Our family is big eaters and we were full all the time.
7. Drinks: Not a big drinker but enjoyed many mixed drinks and I liked Mama juana. Some stated that they do not serve prime brand liquors but I show them opening JW black from box unsealed so if you still think they are serving a fake liquor and hotel goes that much to hide then I got nothing to say because I could not tell the difference of real JW black and fake one. Any case if you are big drinker then you are in heaven.
8. Staffs: I found it to be very good and most staffs were smiling and wanting to help you. This does not mean I did not encounter some not too friendly staffs. Most of staffs in position to inter act with guest are and should friendly and they are but ground keepers for example are just focusing on their duty which is fine with us. I am not a very smiling person although I'm friendly thus I try consciously to smile and say hello first to every staff I meet and 100% time you get smile back.
9. Service: Every vacation we had had some issues to deal with and this time was no different. We arrived in the hotel around 2pm and room was not ready. Yes I understood check in is 3pm. We asked in advance few times and also when we were checking in for roll away bed but no bed in the room as we walk in. Also we had a problem with toilet. We had to wait long time for sitting although there seems to be empty table and wait staff forgot to bring my food. Now I do not judge by issues we had but how these issues were handle by hotel and staffs as soon as we inform of problems.
For room not ready no problem and they direct us to buffet and when we return room were ready. Informed bell boy about the roll away bed problem solved in 5 min he brought one and set it up and maid came in later to put sheets and pillows. The toilet problem was inform to concierge staff in the morning and when we came back 5 in the afternoon still not fixed. I can see how it could happen so I when back and this time I asked them that we will be out between 7:30 to 9:00pm for dinner and send some one during that time. Came back 9pm fixed the problem. We did not wait not even 5 min for sitting and received good service except from Asian restaurant. Don't know why but if you read reviews this restaurant have some issues. Over all good service!!
10: Do or not do preferred: I can see both way. Price is not much different so if you can afford then I said yes and enjoy breakfast in seaside Grill (only for preferred guest) over looking sea and relaxing time at preferred lounge or have them arrange private tour with taxi.
11: Entertainment: They have activity and show schedule for each day. No review from me since I did not do any.
12: water sports available for free and with some fee
Some complain that all 8 restaurants are not opened every day and it is true but we found to be not a problem and enjoy all except Jungle.

Final conclusion is good resorts I would go back!!!!!

Trip Advisor response to - Don2191963

Dear Guest,

We are very pleased you were happy with your allocated room, and we are delighted you enjoyed the use of our beach and pool areas.

We thank you for all of your feedback, this is very important to us and can only help us to make improvements in the future.

We do hope you return to our resort in the future as it would be our pleasure to serve you once again.

Geneva, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

First the not so nice things, because that is what readers would need to know:
I was counting on a wifi access because I had to stay in touch with my work. I had to pay $60 for a week access and was promised that it would work from my room. It didn't. There was no wifi coverage in the area of my room nore anywhere near. Even in the restaurant area, the coverage was slow and weak. I ultimately gave up.
The other problem is with the shop in the hotel. Prices are ridiculous. You'll pay $30 for a small sun cream. We discovered towards the end of our stay that there is a small supermarket nearby. On top of ridiculously high prices, they try to con you on exchange rates. If you have Euros, they will systematically try to apply the exchange rate the wrong way around. I witnessed the same salesperson do it twice in a row, so it wasn't just ignorance.
SO, IN SHORT, AVOID THE SHOP AT THE HOTEL IT IS EXPENSIVE AND THEY AREN'T HONNEST. THE SAME APPLIES TO THE BANK AT THE HOTEL.
Lastly, they advertise 7 restaurants, but you need to be aware that they aren't all open at the same time. They don't accept reservations, and if you go a little later than the opening hour you might need to wait up to 1.5h to get a table, so you ultimately go back to the buffet.
That's it for the bad stuff. If you know it, you can avoid it and it's no hassle.

Now the good stuff:
The location is very nice with a beautiful beach and very nice pool area.
The service is excellent in the restaurants but can be improved at the reception. Rooms are very nice, spacious and clean. We had a family room (two connected rooms with ensuite bathrooms) which was very comfortable for a family of four. The prices are very reasonable for the quality of the rooms.
It is truly all inclusive, including access to various restaurants and bars without limitation. The food is very good at all restaurants as well as the main self-service buffet. The waiters are very helpful, even willing to get you an espresso which they have to get from another bar.

If you avoid the shop, the bank and the wifi, it's almost perfect!

Room Tip: Family rooms are excellent.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Trip Advisor response to - MadMac1969

Date of review - 5th July 2013

Dear Guest,

We are very pleased to hear that despite a small number of issues your time at our resort met with your expectations, we are happy you were pleased with your allocated room and that you enjoyed our vast food selection.

We are also happy that you pointed out the issues you had at our resort, we appreciate all of the feedback our much valued guests leave with us, this can only help us improve in the future.

We would love you to return to our resort in the future as it would be our pleasure to serve you once again.

Kent
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

I have recently come back from 1 week with my daughter from this hotel. ... Booked it 4 weeks ago at a really good price. The hotel was everything and more . I have no hesitation in recommending it . So many places to eat and so much choice . Cocktails all day long made from proper alcohol !!!. The beach was lush . plenty of pools and every day different entertainment . Try the aqua aerobics in the sea. Really good work out and made fun .
Look out for Picasso . A real character. Take a day trip to see the island . Great way of seeing them from a catamaran One word of warning ..... do not go on any horses !!! not looked after at all.!!! oh and take high factor and mozzi spray. have dollars ready for entry ( 10 ) and 20 for leaving .!!! I reckon we should start that one !!!. Change your currency before you get there . They charge high interest . Have a good one !!
Diane Kent.

Room Tip: They were all good.!!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Rudy R, General Manager at Dreams La Romana, responded to this review, July 5, 2013
Trip Advisor response to - Diane W

Date of review - 4th July 2013

Dear Diane,

May we take this opportunity to thank you for choosing Dreams La Romana as your holiday destination and we appreciate the time you have taken to write a review of your stay with us.,

We are delighted to hear that your time at our wonderful resort met with your expectations, we are so glad you enjoyed our extensive food and drink selection and we are very happy that your enjoyed the beach and pool areas.

We sincerely hope you return to our hotel in the future as it would be a great pleasure to serve you once again.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

Got married at this hotel and it was a dream come true everything was perfect from start to finish.... do not hesitate to book this hotel♥♡♥♡]♡♥♡♥ food was amazing especially the italian and the steak house. Loved getting involved in all the water sport activities. If you are thinking of getting wed here all I can say is do it as the setting is one that you will never forget and the hotel go above and beyond to ensure you have a perfect day.

Room Tip: Stayed in the preffered which are lovely
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Trip Advisor response to - jacobs2012

Date of review - 3rd July 2013

Dear Guest,

We are very honoured that you choose to marry at our wonderful resort, and are delighted that your big day went smoothly, on behalf on the entire staff and management team we would like to offer you our congratulations and we wish you all the luck for the future.

Goodlettsville, Tennessee, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

My family of 10 spent 7 days at the Dreams La Ramona. We were all in the Preferred Club. The rooms, staff, property and food overall were very good.

I have three recommendations for the hotel:
1. Preferred Club Pool and Bar - should have food/snacks to order.
2. Beach and Main Pool Service - needs to be improved. It was very slow. Beach service also should include food.
3. Jungle resturant should be open more nights per week. Families are in the Dominican Republic they want to enjoy Dominican food more often.

Other than that overall the hotel was good. Everyone enjoyed their stay. Entertainment at night was great.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Rudy R, General Manager at Dreams La Romana, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Trip Advisor response to - Michele V

Date of review - 2nd July 2013

Dear Michele,

May we take this opportunity to thank you for choosing Dreams La Romana as your holiday destination and we very much appreciate the time you have taken to write a review of your stay with us.

We are very pleased that you and your party enjoyed your stay at our wonderful resort and we are very happy that you enjoyed our entertainment programme.

We thank you for offering suggestions to us, this can only help us make improvements in the future should we feel it necessary.

We do hope you return in the future as it would be our pleasure to serve you once again.

Resident Manager

Been to Dreams La Romana? Share your experiences!