Message from TripAdvisor:
TripAdvisor has grounds to investigate that individuals or entities associated with or having an interest in this property may have attempted to interfere with traveler reviews and/or the Popularity Index for this property. Please take this into consideration when researching your travel plans. We make our best efforts to identify suspicious content and are always working to improve the processes we use to assess traveler reviews.

“CAVE DIVING ACCOMODATIONS” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Dreams La Romana

You added Dreams La Romana to your Saves list
Dreams La Romana
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playa Bayahibe | P.O. Box 80, Bayahibe, Dominican Republic   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #11 of 13 Hotels in Bayahibe
GreenLeadersGold level
ontario
“CAVE DIVING ACCOMODATIONS”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

Stayed at the hotel as it was locate near the cave diving area and there was a cave diving shop at the hotel-GRIGRI DIVERS. this was from 15 December to 22 December 2012.
After reading some of the reviews on line we were prepared for problems at the hotel. I am happy to say we did not experience any problems exept to 2 minor ones in our room which were fixed quickly. Upon arriving our safe would not work and after a couple days our air conditioner stopped working. within in 5 minutes of calling in both problems were fixed. there can be breakdowns as to me as long as there is a fast repair and response.

We were very quickly through the airport and on a van to the hotel. We had booked with AIR CANADA VACATIONS and the service at the airport was great. Within 40 minutes we were at the hotel and checking in. Our rooms were ready and were taken to our room with the porter pointing out the meal locations and time.

Rooms were cleaned every day and reservations were not required for the specailty restaurants which left flexability in our planning.

Plenty of chairs at the pool and beach throughout the day.

We were as noted above for Cave Diving. The dive shop on site was very helpful. We did one day of ocean diving including a night dive. the reefs we went to had a large amount of life on the reef during the day and night. One of the better reefs I have seen in many years.

Meals were great in the specialty restaurants with great service. the buffet is a buffet and catters to a large number of guests who are mostly European.
I did experience a bit of an upset stomach the second last day but this could be just the change in diet. I was with two other cave divers and they did not experience any problems nor did I hear of anyone with problems at the hotel.

Overall a good experience considering where you are in the world. If there was one complaint it would be that the cleaners would yell at each other in the hallway while cleaning.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,412)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Thai first
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012 via mobile

First of all the do not fly into Santo Damingo. It is 2 hours from hotel. Punta Cana airport is closer.

When we arrived they tried to talk us into preferred rooms at front desk. The bellman convinced us otherwise. He was right. The only difference was a private pool away from the nicer pools and WiFi.

The resort hasn't been updated in a few yeas and needs it.

Lastly, we spent the last to days on the toilet. A week after returning to CT and a trip to doctor all four in our party are feeling better. The doctor thinks we we exposed to E. coli. We only ate on the resort so it must have come from the food. Yuck! I checked a couple reviews when I returned and it looks like I was not alone.

Needless to say, I would not return!

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Ridgefield Park, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

Dreams La Romana is a very nice resort, however they really need to review their food, it is absolutely horrible..... the food has no taste at all every day was the samething no taste I also tried the different restaurants and they were just as bad, either dreams la romana take back their chefs to school or change them because eventually people will not go back there because of their food, the staff took their time to meet your needs the bar tenders when you ordered a drink they took their time to bring it to you. For people that spend big money there in weddings when it comes to food the quality is very very poor would I go back there no I will not......

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Holmfirth, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

My husband and I have just returned from Dreams La Romana after a two week holiday that was supposed to be a special treat for my 40th birthday. We stayed at the hotel back in December 2008 and had a lovely holiday, the hotel was very clean, food good very peaceful and friendly staff so was looking forward to returning and experiencing this again...how very wrong we were.

Firstly the bed linen was dirty, the room (changed rooms by the 3rd night and was charged £200 as we were told it would be an upgrade but the room was no better or plusher than our original) smelt damp and old, dirty chairs and table, scratched mirror and lamps that a cleaners cloth has never seen!

This hotel is NOT peaceful, there is a continuous flow of staff pushing noisy carts through the grounds. At the main pool they play the worst music that is constantly repeated...if your a Rick Astly fan you will love it.

Lastly and this is the most important information that you really need to know is that on the 4th morning after eating at the Oceana restaurant my husband woke up with diarrhoea and was sick. He spent the day and night in bed he had taken imodium but this did not stop it. He suffered from the diarrhoea for the duration of our holiday. I too had a much milder stomach cramps and felt nauseous for the duration of the holiday. We only ate bread, pizza or dried food for the rest of the holiday and no drank only water as we had lost our appetites and were worried about getting worse. We are still suffering even after our return home and my husband has had to visit our dr as he has lost a total of 15lb. We are awaiting the results of a specimen taken but the dr said it was most likely to be caused by food poisoning. We did report my husbands S&D to concierge who confirmed that there had been other cases reported. He said the hotel would check on my husband to make sure he was ok but knowbody bothered.

The standards at the hotel have dramatically dropped since our last visit and is certainly not for couples who wish to experience a luxury relaxing holiday. The pictures on Thomsons brochure and the Dreams web site are very old and are definitely not a true reflection of the hotel as it is now. We feel cheated out of our money that we had saved for the holiday and would strongly advise anyone thinking of going to reconsider.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

We stayed in the hotel from 3rd December for 11 days and generally liked the experience. We stayed in the Preferred club, block 7 , rooms 7301 and 7302 which were the adjoining/ interconnecting rooms. Room 7301 had a civilized woodpecker who used to wake you up at 6:25 am but then went quiet for the rest of the day. I know that in some other rooms woodpeckers don’t stop until sunset… So I think , our woodpecker was a good citizen.

The hotel has got excellent location far away from the world. It’s got large grounds which are perfectly maintained by staff. Really beautiful grounds, they also have 7 flamingos and small birds sections there which are a great attraction for small kids. Every single time we went for lunch or breakfast our 3 years old daughter ran to say “hello” to the birds.

Rooms were clean and in good order, though there were some issues like toilet flush not working ( fixed ourselves), wine glasses not provided in the room, bottle opener not provided ( had to ask and wait for it for 2 days), shampoo not replaced on a daily basis… Nothing you could not leave without… However, when you upgrade to Preferred club you expect a better level of service.

Beds were very comfortable, the aircon in room 7302 was not working right and you could not change the setting/mode, so when working it was very noisy. The aircon in the interconnecting room 7301 was in good working orddr and had settings at low, med and high. It was great to have it on low for the nights. I slept in the room 7302 and had to use earplugs to sleep with aircon on as it was noisy.
However, room 7302 was woodpecker free!!

One thing to remember with interconnecting rooms, it is important NOT to close them or put something on top of the doors to prevent them from closing as they don’t have proper handles from both sides of the door. We had an occasion when the child closed the door in the interconnecting room and locked everyone in one room. It took us about 1.5 hours to resolve the issue.

Staff in the hotel does not speak much of English, so any Spanish will be of an advantage. Preferred club had a nice pool area where people used to reserve the best sunbedas t 6am or earlier… But you can always could get a sunbed by the preferred pool “not in the top area”…. During our stay the areas by the main pool and infinity pool were also not very busy BUT they do play music and have activities there. So if you like peace and quite – preferred might be your ONLY option.

RESTAURANTS:
We had breakfast at Sea Grill many time – nice setting, sea background BUT very slow service and stale bread, limited food choices.

World Caffee – was ok but reminded a lot of the canteen in a large institution. More choice but food was bland and not very appetising. Same stale ( yesterday) bread that was warmed in the owen…
Sea grill was very good for lunch – not many amazing choices but you can always find something to eat. In addition to the A-La –Carte service there was a mini salad and cake bar where you can help yourself as much as you want.

World caffee for lunch – had a lot of choice but the environment was much of the canteen…

Pizzaria by the main pool – nothing fancy but good and fresh pizza, recommended.

EVENING meals:

Himutsu – Asian restaurant with very nice décor and environment. Good quality food ( a – la carte) but limited choices. Waiters – hit and miss. We were forturnate with David twice – he was really attentive and good. The best time to come for dinner here is 7pm. Any time later you can wait for 45 mins for every course of meal which is OK when you don’t have small kids.

Sea grill – was excellent in the evening as well. My favourite meal was “ Grill mix”, well prepared and full of taste.

They have a live band playing there most of the evenings and they go from table to table playing/singing songs. This can become quite annoying once the novelty is worn out… We sometimes felt paying them just to keep quiet for some time ( and listen to the waves).

World cafe – for dinner – was ok but nothing to write home about.

Italian restaurant – massive disappointment. At our first visit the staff was incredibly slow and the food was bland and nothing exciting… During the 2nd visit – the service was quicker but the food left more to be desired. So, massively over rated place and does not worth the hype.

We did not go to the Mexican restaurant as it was next to the stagnated water full of mosquitoes, and Oceania – was not the best choice for 3 of us…

The beach was lovely, great for small kids. The pools were cold, in my mind as not heated.
The preferred beach is rough ( sand on a concrete) and not appealing.

SHOWS

Circus – was very good and interesting by the main pool.

Michael Jackson show – theatre – was a very bad beginning as the organisers did not bother to check the sound volumes. It was wayyyy toooo loud and we had to leave ( along side with many other families) as they were deafening children. We complained about it but nothing came out of it….

MAIN NEGATIVE POINTS FOR US: NOISE

NOISE is something you can’t escape from he hotel. The walls in the rooms are very thin so you hear what your neighbours are doing. They have night entertainments by the main pool and they don’t stop until 11 pm. But the worth were the private weddings which hey organised by the sea side, just outside of the block 7 and 5. They were very noisy and there was nothing you could do but wait till the end at approx 11:45pm which was very annoying as I thought block 7 was a quiet one.
Smoke: way too many people smoke everywhere even when they see small kids in the area. I found that astonishing but management did not do anything about that.

There will be a few “pests” trying to sell you things, just ignore them. Preferred pool was not hassled at all but beach was.

FOOD – we were not badly sick but I had a few bad days with stomach pains etc after eating in Word café and Chinese spring rolls… So the hygiene needs to be improved.

Overall. Dreams La Romana is a very good resort with food much better than in oter All Inclusive but there are some issues that you need to cope with eg. Noise….

Room Tip: far away frm the main pool, buildings 5 and 7 and 8 are good
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

The DR is gorgeous. Having been to dreams in Mexico, a group of 13 went to la romana to celebrate my recent wedding.

The physical layout is beautiful. From the pools and beach, to the flamingos. Gorgeous.

The language barrier we encountered immediately deterred me from wanting to return. This was a non issue in Mexico so I was surprised in the DR.

staff was actually very cold and rude. I felt like I was burdening everyone I made a request of. They also accepted tips as though it was required of me and not something that was optional.

Rooms were clean but slightly outdated. Good maid service

Food was hit or miss. I ate twice at sea side. First night was incredible. Second night, the calamari was cold and the steak was all fat. Again, hit or miss. Room service was nothing great either. Very rude staff.

Be prepared for vendors to bombard you at every turn as well. It's brutal.

The concierge was my biggest problem. My 2 friends and I love to golf when we travel. We were recommended a set of courses by the concierge (Jean Carlos) and shown a book with all the info. We chose one and reserved a cab for 6am the next morning so that we could hit range before our 7am tee time. Jean Carlos made all the calls.

The next morning...no cab. We finally caught one at 630. We arrived at 650 and nobody...NOBODY...was there. Around 715 a guy showed up. He opened the garage and gave us our clubs. He told us the range and pro shop were closed so he gave us 20 recycled balls and sent us on our way. Once our caddy arrived he informed us that the course was on strike. Other resorts knew this and this was why nobody else was there. We ended up paying 115 each and 40 bucks for the recycled balls. The electricity had been turned off too so credit cards were an issue

We were angry so when we returned to dreams we explained to the concierge and explained. He informed us that it wasn't their problem. He even called the course and our me in the phone with them. I still don't know why seeing as how they spoke all Spanish.

After getting nowhere with the first guy I found out that jean Carlos was also the manager. He was very nice in person and assured me he'd investigate and get back to me.

2 hrs later he called and basically said it wasn't the resorts problem and even began raising his voice to me. I've emailed the GM and have yet to hear back

The DR is gorgeous and worth visiting. Unfortunately our stay was tainted by rudeness and inconvenience of the hotel and its staff. You have better options and I would encourage you to consider them.

• Stayed December 2012
Tyler, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012 via mobile

I found this place on a lark while stumbling upon cheap carribean.com. Prior to this I had never considered visiting Dominican Republic. Now, as a result of my experience at Dreams La Romana, I cannot wait to go back. I loved it. We were greeted with flutes of chilled champagne, and it just got better after that. The rooms, the grounds, the staff, the pools, the beach, the food and drinks...all top-notch. And TRULY all-inclusive!

Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bayahibe
Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus
4.0 of 5 stars 976 reviews
Grand Bahia Principe La Romana
Viva Wyndham Dominicus Beach
Luxury Bahia Principe Bouganville Don Pablo Collection

Been to Dreams La Romana? Share your experiences!