“Before you book this hotel BE AWARE...” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Dreams La Romana

You added Dreams La Romana to your Saves list
Dreams La Romana
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playa Bayahibe | P.O. Box 80, Bayahibe, Dominican Republic   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
$50 Air Credit+Kids Free
Ranked #5 of 13 Hotels in Bayahibe
GreenLeadersGold level
Holmfirth, United Kingdom
“Before you book this hotel BE AWARE...”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

My husband and I have just returned from Dreams La Romana after a two week holiday that was supposed to be a special treat for my 40th birthday. We stayed at the hotel back in December 2008 and had a lovely holiday, the hotel was very clean, food good very peaceful and friendly staff so was looking forward to returning and experiencing this again...how very wrong we were.

Firstly the bed linen was dirty, the room (changed rooms by the 3rd night and was charged £200 as we were told it would be an upgrade but the room was no better or plusher than our original) smelt damp and old, dirty chairs and table, scratched mirror and lamps that a cleaners cloth has never seen!

This hotel is NOT peaceful, there is a continuous flow of staff pushing noisy carts through the grounds. At the main pool they play the worst music that is constantly repeated...if your a Rick Astly fan you will love it.

Lastly and this is the most important information that you really need to know is that on the 4th morning after eating at the Oceana restaurant my husband woke up with diarrhoea and was sick. He spent the day and night in bed he had taken imodium but this did not stop it. He suffered from the diarrhoea for the duration of our holiday. I too had a much milder stomach cramps and felt nauseous for the duration of the holiday. We only ate bread, pizza or dried food for the rest of the holiday and no drank only water as we had lost our appetites and were worried about getting worse. We are still suffering even after our return home and my husband has had to visit our dr as he has lost a total of 15lb. We are awaiting the results of a specimen taken but the dr said it was most likely to be caused by food poisoning. We did report my husbands S&D to concierge who confirmed that there had been other cases reported. He said the hotel would check on my husband to make sure he was ok but knowbody bothered.

The standards at the hotel have dramatically dropped since our last visit and is certainly not for couples who wish to experience a luxury relaxing holiday. The pictures on Thomsons brochure and the Dreams web site are very old and are definitely not a true reflection of the hotel as it is now. We feel cheated out of our money that we had saved for the holiday and would strongly advise anyone thinking of going to reconsider.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,340)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Thai first
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

We stayed in the hotel from 3rd December for 11 days and generally liked the experience. We stayed in the Preferred club, block 7 , rooms 7301 and 7302 which were the adjoining/ interconnecting rooms. Room 7301 had a civilized woodpecker who used to wake you up at 6:25 am but then went quiet for the rest of the day. I know that in some other rooms woodpeckers don’t stop until sunset… So I think , our woodpecker was a good citizen.

The hotel has got excellent location far away from the world. It’s got large grounds which are perfectly maintained by staff. Really beautiful grounds, they also have 7 flamingos and small birds sections there which are a great attraction for small kids. Every single time we went for lunch or breakfast our 3 years old daughter ran to say “hello” to the birds.

Rooms were clean and in good order, though there were some issues like toilet flush not working ( fixed ourselves), wine glasses not provided in the room, bottle opener not provided ( had to ask and wait for it for 2 days), shampoo not replaced on a daily basis… Nothing you could not leave without… However, when you upgrade to Preferred club you expect a better level of service.

Beds were very comfortable, the aircon in room 7302 was not working right and you could not change the setting/mode, so when working it was very noisy. The aircon in the interconnecting room 7301 was in good working orddr and had settings at low, med and high. It was great to have it on low for the nights. I slept in the room 7302 and had to use earplugs to sleep with aircon on as it was noisy.
However, room 7302 was woodpecker free!!

One thing to remember with interconnecting rooms, it is important NOT to close them or put something on top of the doors to prevent them from closing as they don’t have proper handles from both sides of the door. We had an occasion when the child closed the door in the interconnecting room and locked everyone in one room. It took us about 1.5 hours to resolve the issue.

Staff in the hotel does not speak much of English, so any Spanish will be of an advantage. Preferred club had a nice pool area where people used to reserve the best sunbedas t 6am or earlier… But you can always could get a sunbed by the preferred pool “not in the top area”…. During our stay the areas by the main pool and infinity pool were also not very busy BUT they do play music and have activities there. So if you like peace and quite – preferred might be your ONLY option.

RESTAURANTS:
We had breakfast at Sea Grill many time – nice setting, sea background BUT very slow service and stale bread, limited food choices.

World Caffee – was ok but reminded a lot of the canteen in a large institution. More choice but food was bland and not very appetising. Same stale ( yesterday) bread that was warmed in the owen…
Sea grill was very good for lunch – not many amazing choices but you can always find something to eat. In addition to the A-La –Carte service there was a mini salad and cake bar where you can help yourself as much as you want.

World caffee for lunch – had a lot of choice but the environment was much of the canteen…

Pizzaria by the main pool – nothing fancy but good and fresh pizza, recommended.

EVENING meals:

Himutsu – Asian restaurant with very nice décor and environment. Good quality food ( a – la carte) but limited choices. Waiters – hit and miss. We were forturnate with David twice – he was really attentive and good. The best time to come for dinner here is 7pm. Any time later you can wait for 45 mins for every course of meal which is OK when you don’t have small kids.

Sea grill – was excellent in the evening as well. My favourite meal was “ Grill mix”, well prepared and full of taste.

They have a live band playing there most of the evenings and they go from table to table playing/singing songs. This can become quite annoying once the novelty is worn out… We sometimes felt paying them just to keep quiet for some time ( and listen to the waves).

World cafe – for dinner – was ok but nothing to write home about.

Italian restaurant – massive disappointment. At our first visit the staff was incredibly slow and the food was bland and nothing exciting… During the 2nd visit – the service was quicker but the food left more to be desired. So, massively over rated place and does not worth the hype.

We did not go to the Mexican restaurant as it was next to the stagnated water full of mosquitoes, and Oceania – was not the best choice for 3 of us…

The beach was lovely, great for small kids. The pools were cold, in my mind as not heated.
The preferred beach is rough ( sand on a concrete) and not appealing.

SHOWS

Circus – was very good and interesting by the main pool.

Michael Jackson show – theatre – was a very bad beginning as the organisers did not bother to check the sound volumes. It was wayyyy toooo loud and we had to leave ( along side with many other families) as they were deafening children. We complained about it but nothing came out of it….

MAIN NEGATIVE POINTS FOR US: NOISE

NOISE is something you can’t escape from he hotel. The walls in the rooms are very thin so you hear what your neighbours are doing. They have night entertainments by the main pool and they don’t stop until 11 pm. But the worth were the private weddings which hey organised by the sea side, just outside of the block 7 and 5. They were very noisy and there was nothing you could do but wait till the end at approx 11:45pm which was very annoying as I thought block 7 was a quiet one.
Smoke: way too many people smoke everywhere even when they see small kids in the area. I found that astonishing but management did not do anything about that.

There will be a few “pests” trying to sell you things, just ignore them. Preferred pool was not hassled at all but beach was.

FOOD – we were not badly sick but I had a few bad days with stomach pains etc after eating in Word café and Chinese spring rolls… So the hygiene needs to be improved.

Overall. Dreams La Romana is a very good resort with food much better than in oter All Inclusive but there are some issues that you need to cope with eg. Noise….

Room Tip: far away frm the main pool, buildings 5 and 7 and 8 are good
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

The DR is gorgeous. Having been to dreams in Mexico, a group of 13 went to la romana to celebrate my recent wedding.

The physical layout is beautiful. From the pools and beach, to the flamingos. Gorgeous.

The language barrier we encountered immediately deterred me from wanting to return. This was a non issue in Mexico so I was surprised in the DR.

staff was actually very cold and rude. I felt like I was burdening everyone I made a request of. They also accepted tips as though it was required of me and not something that was optional.

Rooms were clean but slightly outdated. Good maid service

Food was hit or miss. I ate twice at sea side. First night was incredible. Second night, the calamari was cold and the steak was all fat. Again, hit or miss. Room service was nothing great either. Very rude staff.

Be prepared for vendors to bombard you at every turn as well. It's brutal.

The concierge was my biggest problem. My 2 friends and I love to golf when we travel. We were recommended a set of courses by the concierge (Jean Carlos) and shown a book with all the info. We chose one and reserved a cab for 6am the next morning so that we could hit range before our 7am tee time. Jean Carlos made all the calls.

The next morning...no cab. We finally caught one at 630. We arrived at 650 and nobody...NOBODY...was there. Around 715 a guy showed up. He opened the garage and gave us our clubs. He told us the range and pro shop were closed so he gave us 20 recycled balls and sent us on our way. Once our caddy arrived he informed us that the course was on strike. Other resorts knew this and this was why nobody else was there. We ended up paying 115 each and 40 bucks for the recycled balls. The electricity had been turned off too so credit cards were an issue

We were angry so when we returned to dreams we explained to the concierge and explained. He informed us that it wasn't their problem. He even called the course and our me in the phone with them. I still don't know why seeing as how they spoke all Spanish.

After getting nowhere with the first guy I found out that jean Carlos was also the manager. He was very nice in person and assured me he'd investigate and get back to me.

2 hrs later he called and basically said it wasn't the resorts problem and even began raising his voice to me. I've emailed the GM and have yet to hear back

The DR is gorgeous and worth visiting. Unfortunately our stay was tainted by rudeness and inconvenience of the hotel and its staff. You have better options and I would encourage you to consider them.

• Stayed December 2012
Tyler, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012 via mobile

I found this place on a lark while stumbling upon cheap carribean.com. Prior to this I had never considered visiting Dominican Republic. Now, as a result of my experience at Dreams La Romana, I cannot wait to go back. I loved it. We were greeted with flutes of chilled champagne, and it just got better after that. The rooms, the grounds, the staff, the pools, the beach, the food and drinks...all top-notch. And TRULY all-inclusive!

Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Ny
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

Just came back from Dreams. Wasn't sure what to expect. It was a great experience had one of the best times. We were treated like family from the start of our vacation.Darling of apple rep was beyond helpful and a pleasure to deal with a real doll so sweet. Kenya out did her self. She planned a beautiful dinner at the pier for my nieces anniversay that was delicious everything looked and tasted so good. She made sure my husband always had his favorite drink.there was so much to do we were never bored.we are now planning to return with our family. Can't wait to return to Dreams LaRomana to see our new friends. Thank you for a wonderful experience. Happy Holidays to all....

Room Tip: Building 5 perfect spot
New York, New York, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

The facts: we spent thanksgiving week at Dreams La Romana; purpose was to relax and spend time with the family. We never left the premises, always ate in their restaurants. My son started having vomit and diarrhea after a few days. The last night he had to go to the bathroom 15 times and at the end only blood would come out. We had to rush him to the local hospital for dehydration, he had consequences of this for almost a week, even after we got back. total bill of the hospital: $700.

Other facts: the doctor at the hotel told me that there had been other cases, some very severe, of bacteria intoxication. I spoke with other people working in the hotel, like the photograph, and also admitted that there was a problem but management refused to aknowledge it.

When I confronted the hotel with the medical bill, the answer was the party line: "a tourist may become susceptible to a sickness due to many different factors such as: the change in climate, the heat, the sun, difference in the style of cooking, excessive drinking, rich foods, etc...A mixture of one or more of these reasons certainly could cause illness to one very easily".

As if my 8-years old would drink excessively... The story is very different when speaking to my (American) doctor, who says that the reaction was simply too strong and was probably caused by severe food poisoning.

The hotel refused to refund me for my medical bill, and only offered a certificate for 3 nights to go back to a Dreams hotel... as if I wanted to come back and get poisoned again!

Please email me if you want to have a copy of the medical report from the hospital, as I cannot post it here. My email is jacopo@dalessandris.com.

Bottom line: a terrible experience, but what's even worse is the poor customer service and the fact that such a large company is hiding the reality to their customers and making a profit while risking their health, hoping that we would just not talk about it... Feel free to contact me (email above) if you want more details about the story.

Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Rudy R, Manager at Dreams La Romana, responded to this review, December 22, 2012
Dear Jacobo D,
Thank you for taking the time to post your review regarding your recent vacation stay here with us. We would like to take a moment to clarify a few statements regarding the above mentioned review. As we have been in previous communications via email, we would like to reiterate the following: we understand that your son became ill during your holiday stay. As a visit to the onsite doctor became necessary, we are aware that you diagnosed the illness as food poisoning even prior to receiving a consultation by our onsite medical doctor. We certainly understand your frustration with your son becoming ill, however as you stated that the diagnosis was gastroenteritis, please understand that this is not food poisoning. As we clarified earlier, our onside medical doctor explained that he had heard cases throughout his practice, not cases presently. As members within your family were also consuming the same varieties of cuisine, we were very pleased to learn that no one else within your party became ill. As a gesture of good will, being a service oriented business, we felt that offering you a certificate to return to our beautiful resort was a courtesy; however we were disappointed to learn you graciously declined. We understand that anyone traveling abroad is subject to many differences when entering a foreign country, for this reason we take the opportunity to simply state the facts of what can contribute to falling ill while on vacation. We do hope that your son is feeling much better and hope to have the opportunity to serve you again in the near future.
All the best,
Rudy Richardson
Resident Manager
Dreams La Romana Resort & Spa
West Haven, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

Dreams La Romana has a beach area that rivals those of Antigua! The pools are awesome, but the true star of the resort is the ocean! The ocean water is some of the calmest I've seen in the Caribbean due to the resort's unique location.
The nightly entertainment here was usually held outdoors and for the most part was just mediocre. The food was quite good for an all inclusive and the variety available will satisfy everyone's tastes.
The drinks were quite good as long as you found the right bartender! Some were more experienced than others and that made quite a difference in the quality of the drinks.
The hotel is predominantly comprised of European guests, with very few American and Canadians, while just the opposite was true of Dreams Palm Beach in Punta Cana.
The ride to the hotel from Santo Domingo Airport was a 2 hour experience you will never forget,,,,it's a ride which will take you through some of the poorest parts of the DR. The best advice I can give you is to either fly into La Romana airport, which caters to mostly European airlines or fly into Punta Cana Airport and take the new constructed highway directly to Bayahibe, which cuts the ride down to only 35 minutes.
All in all, Dreams La Romana is a little known gem in the DR which is on our return list and one I would definitely recommend as a must see!

Room Tip: Buildings #3 & #4 are centrally located to everything. Don't pay extra for the preferred roo...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Been to Dreams La Romana? Share your experiences!