“"Dreams" applies to everything but the food” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Dreams La Romana

You added Dreams La Romana to your Saves list
Dreams La Romana
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playa Bayahibe | P.O. Box 80, Bayahibe, Dominican Republic   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Big Fall Savings!
Ranked #9 of 13 Hotels in Bayahibe
GreenLeadersGold level
San Juan, Puerto Rico
“"Dreams" applies to everything but the food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

I stayed at Dreams La Romana from November 15 to November 18 for a wedding.

Service was very good. Room was cleaned up every day, and the fridge was kept stocked at all times. The staff is very friendly and attentive, including the bars and restaurants.

The hotel itself was very clean and its gardens were well-kept. The pools, beach, and recreational areas were very clean, except for the pool tables which require maintenance.

The room was clean and everything worked as intended. No problems with lack of water pressure, hot water, or broken machinery. Good selection of TV shows and movies.

The biggest thing going for this hotel is the beach. Beautiful, well-kept, and crystal-clear waters with no strong currents which allow you to stay in for hours at a time. I saw a few snorkeling areas too around at the corners of the beach.

Beverage selection was mostly National in terms of beer and drinks, with a few international exceptions. The drinks are well prepared and taste great.

Nightly entertainment seemed to be good. Shows at the pool area, and entertainment for all ages. The night club was good, and there's an entertainment area with xbox's, ps3's pool tables, batting cage, and ping pong tables. Again, the pool tables need maintenance. Movies were also shown at night at the pool area.

Main and biggest CON experienced at Dreams was the food. The day after I arrived and ate lunch (Seaside Grill) and dinner, I began experiencing symptoms of food poisoning, up until my last day at the resort. I am unsure about what caused it, be it the "extra cheese" added to 2 slices of pizza that looked and tasted like it was a few days too old, or the piece of meat I also had at during lunch. I avoided drinking or using any tap water, and I still got sick. Many other friends and visitor there for the wedding were also complaining about being sick. The food itself was average in taste. Usually hotels are known for certain appetizers, dishes, or desserts. In the case of Dreams, not one slice of food that I ate was considered very good, or even above average.

This was my first visit to the Dominican Republic and to an "all-inclusive" resort there or anywhere else. If I visit again, I will definitely fly in directly to La Romana or Punta Cana and avoid the nearly 2 hour drive from the Santo Domingo airport to the resort (due to frequent stops by the bus driver, some at the passenger's requests). Unfortunately due to the food sickness I experienced at Dreams, I cannot recommend this resort until that problem is removed. Spending 3 out of 4 days running back and forth to your room's bathroom was not my idea of a vacation.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,430)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Thai first
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

Traveled nov 12, for a friends wedding, read reviews and went not knowing what to expect. But should of not worried. The staff our so happy and friendly and love being there. I enjoyed every day! The food was amazing and drinks were exciting and refreshing. It is a relaxing environment and there's no pressure but they do hope to get you involved in the entertainment, thanks to Picasso and mr chocolatè also benny at breakfast and alexis at the bar. I hope to return ASAP

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

I was a little disappointed with Dreams La Romana. Considering this trip was my 4th time in DR I was able to compare to others.

Rooms - old and need work (I did not stay at the Premier club which I heard has better rooms). The shower head was broke and kept falling while showering, the lamps in the room were old and 1 was broke, the bathroom mirror was filled with scratches, the rooms were old. I stayed in building 2 which I felt was a good location. It is central to everything especially considering I have 2 young children. Also, the doors in the rooms do not have chains at the top which I wasn't too pleased with considering the maids just knock then open the door. They barely give you a chance to answer your door.

Hotel grounds - well kept and beautiful. no complaints

Food - very good for DR. I especially liked the Oceana (steak/Crayfish awesome). Mexican was good as well. I have no complaints. The buffet which we ate at for breakfast and lunch was good. At lunch there were always different choices all pretty decent. Unfortunately coffee was terrible but much better at the coffee shop located in the lobby. During off hours a little hard to get food for an all inclusive. If you travel with kids try to bring snacks for off hours.

Pools - I liked the Infinitely pool because of the views, swim up bar, and access to the beach from it. Plus worked very well which children. It has a shallow ledge throughout the pool which is good for kids. The main pool which has alot of activities for kids was ok but too big and busy, not as relaxing.

Staff - UNFRIENDLY! even after being tipped! I was very unhappy with the staff. There were a few nice bartenders like Alexis, Juan, and Olivio from Seaside Grill. If you got a "hello" you were lucky. I lost my luggage and got the run around from the staff about calling the airport, etc... after a couple of days my husband spoke to the manager who was just as useless. The language barrier is awful. Most of the staff does not speak English making it so difficult to communicate.

Entertainment - Almost each night there was a show by the main pool. Each show was different and funny. We enjoyed them. On Monday nite they have Monday night football on the beach. They set up an unbelievable venue but so sad hardly anyone showed. They said they do this every Monday night. It was great.

I think this resort is great for families considering all the activities, shows, etc... they have however they really need to work on updating the rooms and getting their staff to be friendlier.

Also - last thing - trip from Santo Domingo airport to Dreams is 1 hr and 45mins! a nightmare especially with kids.

Not sure if I'd go back the trip from the airport alone was a reason for me to not go back but I did like the grounds, food, and pools!

Room Tip: Try to stay at Premier club other rooms are old and need work.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Rudy R, Manager at Dreams La Romana, responded to this review, December 4, 2012
Dear Newyorktravelermc,
We thank you for taking a moment to share your feedback in regards to your recent vacation stay with us. We are so pleased to know that you enjoyed the facility, especially the pools and food selections. While your room location was in building number two, this building is one of four that were most recently renovated. As we understand that the maintenance of certain fixtures within the room can be an issue, we do hope that a reporting was made as we have an onsite hotline directly to our maintenance department to resolve and rectify any situation immediately. We are very surprised to learn of your comments regarding our staff as the Dominican culture is best known for its gracious hospitable nature. Unfortunately as we are unable to control lost luggage, this is an issue handled directly between the guest and the individual airline involved. Our concierge department is available and always pleased to offer assistance, however all is at the discretion of the airline directly. We do hope to have the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

All the best,
Rudy Richardson
Resident Manager
Dreams La Romana Resort & Spa
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

We just came back from Dreams La Romana with the group of 22 people. Starting on day 3 of our trip different members of the group, both adults and kids, started to get sick with food poisoning symptoms, the worst of which was abdominal cramps that are still there 3 days after coming back. There are numerous food service problems at the hotel starting with snails attached to salad, to flies on the food, to dirty glasses and stained silverware.
During the stay we complained to the manager of World Cafe about the obvious health code violation problems ( not sure if they follow any health code down there). The answer was always the same- guilty look in their eyes, shrugged shoulders and no apologies.
Two days before leaving, after some of the kids got sick, we complained to the hotel managers Mario Rosseli and Jose Guerrero. All we wanted to hear is their apologies and were very curious if they are going to do anything about it. After listening to our story, we were told that we should have visited the hotel doctor. I replied that I am an internist practicing in the US and my friend who was traveling with us is a PA and we are well aware of the symptoms and treatment of travelers diarrhea. We also told them that any reasonable person would treat themselves with lots of fluids and bland food for couple of days, and that most people would visit a doctor in DR only if they find themselves in a medical emergency. The reply was that they will file a report. There were no apologies offered whatsoever!!!
There are numerous reports of food poisoning in this hotel on tripadvisor and the manager's response is the standard copy and paste answer that this is due to coconut reach drinks which is a natural laxative. As a doctor, I guarantee you that it has nothing to do with coconuts and everything to do with unclean food preparation.
On a positive note, the rooms and beach are nice
Do yourselves a favor and stay away form this place.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Rudy R, Manager at Dreams La Romana, responded to this review, December 4, 2012
Dear Drshura,
Thank you for taking a moment to share your feedback regarding your recent vacation stay with us. We take a moment to clarify a few of the statements regarding the above mentioned review. The sanitation and cleanliness of both our food preparation and presentation is of the utmost importance to us. We follow very strict guidelines and have always implemented policies and procedures to maintain our excellent standards of practice. While you stated that you unfortunately had fallen ill during your vacation, what fails to be mentioned is that we did suggest you visit our onsite medical facility for any treatment necessary. As a gesture of good will, we offered to cover any medical expenses; however you graciously declined to visit. As stated within your review, whether being in the Dominican Republic or anywhere else, if you deemed this to be food poisoning, surely this would have been considered a medical emergency. As we do not utilize a standard copy and paste response to our reviews, we simply state the many reasons that one may fall ill when traveling abroad. As we are a service oriented business, listening to each of our guests’ comments is certainly of extreme importance to us. We do hope that you are feeling better and hope to have the opportunity to serve you again in the future.
Best Regards,
Rudy Richardson
Resident Manager
Dreams La Romana Resort & Spa
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012 via mobile

We stayed at Dreams La romana from 5th-19th November. We first visited in may 2010, and loved it so much we decided to return with 15 of our friends and family to get married.

Having read a lot of negative reviews recently we were a little apprehensive that standards might have slipped. However we were pleased to discover this is not the case!

We did not get the room we requested, but this was resolved within 24 hours with the help of Jenny the wedding co-ordinator. We were very happy with our second room.

Hotel itself very clean, beautiful grounds, well maintained. Excellent service from all of the restaurant and bar staff. Maid kept our room spotless. Food is very good for an all inclusive hotel. I think sometimes other people expect too much - it's not Michelin Star but it is fine for a few weeks. None of our guests had any complaints. Only restaurant that fell short was Italian (food bland), but Asian and Dominican were exceptionally good. Drinks plentiful and staff will make anything you like. If you ask for top shelf brands you will get them. Otherwise you will get cheap brands. To be expected!

Wedding itself was amazing. Whole day went really smoothly, everything from photographer to flowers to reception were top class. Could not be happier.

In summary, do not be put off by the bad reviews. All of our guests (ages ranging from 16 to 60) had a ball! I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to others, and we will be returning in the future. So if you're going, relax and enjoy ;)

• Stayed November 2012
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

The staff are the key to this resort. They are the best. It is nice to be able to leave the resort and fill safe. You can snorkel right of the beach most resorts for this price you can not. The food is better than most all inclusive resorts. This is the only resort that I have been back to multiple times.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

I'm not a big fan of all inclusive hotels in general and this one was no exception. The hotel is nice with various pools and a pretty beach. However there are draw backs. Our room wasn't ready when we arrived well past 3pm and for some reason we had to speak to about 3 different people about our vacay package before we could finally get to our room. We were exhausted and just wanted to lie down. We decided to upgrade the $60 per day to be part of the preferred club. This is really only worth it if you're able to stay in the preferred section of the hotel which is quieter and closer to the spa and tennis courts. For the room upgrade we would have had to pay $90 more per day but they didn't have an available room for us so we were all the way in the other side of the hotel which was annoying. Just know that Internet IS NOT included in the price of the hotel unless you are a preferred club member. And the bandwidth is pretty small too.

The room was clean but certainly nothing to write home about. The mattress was firm but the pillows were pretty crummy. Everything I mentioned until now were just some of the minor inconveniences. The worst part is the food. I can't handle all inclusive meals in general but here was ridiculous. Avoid the World cafe at all costs. I call it the "mess hall" for obvious reasons (and its a mess). The best snack food we could find was the pizza by the main pool which was quite good. For dinner we did not enjoy the Bordeaux restaurant even though it looked nicer. Finally on our last night we discovered the Ocean Grill or Seaside Grill and that was pretty decent. It's located between the beach and building 2.

Anyways, it was a nice trip and all and the hotel isn't terrible but do be aware of the food situation.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bayahibe
Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus
4.0 of 5 stars 1,180 reviews
Grand Bahia Principe La Romana
Luxury Bahia Principe Bouganville Don Pablo Collection
Dreams Palm Beach Punta Cana

Been to Dreams La Romana? Share your experiences!