“Needs help...” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Dreams La Romana

Save Saved
You added Dreams La Romana to your Saves list
Dreams La Romana
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playa Bayahibe | P.O. Box 80, Bayahibe, Dominican Republic   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Free Nights!
Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Bayahibe
“Needs help...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

I was a little disappointed with Dreams La Romana. Considering this trip was my 4th time in DR I was able to compare to others.

Rooms - old and need work (I did not stay at the Premier club which I heard has better rooms). The shower head was broke and kept falling while showering, the lamps in the room were old and 1 was broke, the bathroom mirror was filled with scratches, the rooms were old. I stayed in building 2 which I felt was a good location. It is central to everything especially considering I have 2 young children. Also, the doors in the rooms do not have chains at the top which I wasn't too pleased with considering the maids just knock then open the door. They barely give you a chance to answer your door.

Hotel grounds - well kept and beautiful. no complaints

Food - very good for DR. I especially liked the Oceana (steak/Crayfish awesome). Mexican was good as well. I have no complaints. The buffet which we ate at for breakfast and lunch was good. At lunch there were always different choices all pretty decent. Unfortunately coffee was terrible but much better at the coffee shop located in the lobby. During off hours a little hard to get food for an all inclusive. If you travel with kids try to bring snacks for off hours.

Pools - I liked the Infinitely pool because of the views, swim up bar, and access to the beach from it. Plus worked very well which children. It has a shallow ledge throughout the pool which is good for kids. The main pool which has alot of activities for kids was ok but too big and busy, not as relaxing.

Staff - UNFRIENDLY! even after being tipped! I was very unhappy with the staff. There were a few nice bartenders like Alexis, Juan, and Olivio from Seaside Grill. If you got a "hello" you were lucky. I lost my luggage and got the run around from the staff about calling the airport, etc... after a couple of days my husband spoke to the manager who was just as useless. The language barrier is awful. Most of the staff does not speak English making it so difficult to communicate.

Entertainment - Almost each night there was a show by the main pool. Each show was different and funny. We enjoyed them. On Monday nite they have Monday night football on the beach. They set up an unbelievable venue but so sad hardly anyone showed. They said they do this every Monday night. It was great.

I think this resort is great for families considering all the activities, shows, etc... they have however they really need to work on updating the rooms and getting their staff to be friendlier.

Also - last thing - trip from Santo Domingo airport to Dreams is 1 hr and 45mins! a nightmare especially with kids.

Not sure if I'd go back the trip from the airport alone was a reason for me to not go back but I did like the grounds, food, and pools!

Room Tip: Try to stay at Premier club other rooms are old and need work.
Rudy R, Manager at Dreams La Romana, responded to this review, December 4, 2012
Dear Newyorktravelermc,
We thank you for taking a moment to share your feedback in regards to your recent vacation stay with us. We are so pleased to know that you enjoyed the facility, especially the pools and food selections. While your room location was in building number two, this building is one of four that were most recently renovated. As we understand that the maintenance of certain fixtures within the room can be an issue, we do hope that a reporting was made as we have an onsite hotline directly to our maintenance department to resolve and rectify any situation immediately. We are very surprised to learn of your comments regarding our staff as the Dominican culture is best known for its gracious hospitable nature. Unfortunately as we are unable to control lost luggage, this is an issue handled directly between the guest and the individual airline involved. Our concierge department is available and always pleased to offer assistance, however all is at the discretion of the airline directly. We do hope to have the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

All the best,
Dreams La Romana Resort & Spa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,083)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

We just came back from Dreams La Romana with the group of 22 people. Starting on day 3 of our trip different members of the group, both adults and kids, started to get sick with food poisoning symptoms, the worst of which was abdominal cramps that are still there 3 days after coming back. There are numerous food service problems at the hotel starting with snails attached to salad, to flies on the food, to dirty glasses and stained silverware.
During the stay we complained to the manager of World Cafe about the obvious health code violation problems ( not sure if they follow any health code down there). The answer was always the same- guilty look in their eyes, shrugged shoulders and no apologies.
Two days before leaving, after some of the kids got sick, we complained to the hotel managers Mario Rosseli and Jose Guerrero. All we wanted to hear is their apologies and were very curious if they are going to do anything about it. After listening to our story, we were told that we should have visited the hotel doctor. I replied that I am an internist practicing in the US and my friend who was traveling with us is a PA and we are well aware of the symptoms and treatment of travelers diarrhea. We also told them that any reasonable person would treat themselves with lots of fluids and bland food for couple of days, and that most people would visit a doctor in DR only if they find themselves in a medical emergency. The reply was that they will file a report. There were no apologies offered whatsoever!!!
There are numerous reports of food poisoning in this hotel on tripadvisor and the manager's response is the standard copy and paste answer that this is due to coconut reach drinks which is a natural laxative. As a doctor, I guarantee you that it has nothing to do with coconuts and everything to do with unclean food preparation.
On a positive note, the rooms and beach are nice
Do yourselves a favor and stay away form this place.

Rudy R, Manager at Dreams La Romana, responded to this review, December 4, 2012
Dear Drshura,
Thank you for taking a moment to share your feedback regarding your recent vacation stay with us. We take a moment to clarify a few of the statements regarding the above mentioned review. The sanitation and cleanliness of both our food preparation and presentation is of the utmost importance to us. We follow very strict guidelines and have always implemented policies and procedures to maintain our excellent standards of practice. While you stated that you unfortunately had fallen ill during your vacation, what fails to be mentioned is that we did suggest you visit our onsite medical facility for any treatment necessary. As a gesture of good will, we offered to cover any medical expenses; however you graciously declined to visit. As stated within your review, whether being in the Dominican Republic or anywhere else, if you deemed this to be food poisoning, surely this would have been considered a medical emergency. As we do not utilize a standard copy and paste response to our reviews, we simply state the many reasons that one may fall ill when traveling abroad. As we are a service oriented business, listening to each of our guests’ comments is certainly of extreme importance to us. We do hope that you are feeling better and hope to have the opportunity to serve you again in the future.
Best Regards,
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

We stayed at Dreams La romana from 5th-19th November. We first visited in may 2010, and loved it so much we decided to return with 15 of our friends and family to get married.

Having read a lot of negative reviews recently we were a little apprehensive that standards might have slipped. However we were pleased to discover this is not the case!

We did not get the room we requested, but this was resolved within 24 hours with the help of Jenny the wedding co-ordinator. We were very happy with our second room.

Hotel itself very clean, beautiful grounds, well maintained. Excellent service from all of the restaurant and bar staff. Maid kept our room spotless. Food is very good for an all inclusive hotel. I think sometimes other people expect too much - it's not Michelin Star but it is fine for a few weeks. None of our guests had any complaints. Only restaurant that fell short was Italian (food bland), but Asian and Dominican were exceptionally good. Drinks plentiful and staff will make anything you like. If you ask for top shelf brands you will get them. Otherwise you will get cheap brands. To be expected!

Wedding itself was amazing. Whole day went really smoothly, everything from photographer to flowers to reception were top class. Could not be happier.

In summary, do not be put off by the bad reviews. All of our guests (ages ranging from 16 to 60) had a ball! I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to others, and we will be returning in the future. So if you're going, relax and enjoy ;)

• Stayed November 2012
Bayahibe
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

The staff are the key to this resort. They are the best. It is nice to be able to leave the resort and fill safe. You can snorkel right of the beach most resorts for this price you can not. The food is better than most all inclusive resorts. This is the only resort that I have been back to multiple times.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

I'm not a big fan of all inclusive hotels in general and this one was no exception. The hotel is nice with various pools and a pretty beach. However there are draw backs. Our room wasn't ready when we arrived well past 3pm and for some reason we had to speak to about 3 different people about our vacay package before we could finally get to our room. We were exhausted and just wanted to lie down. We decided to upgrade the $60 per day to be part of the preferred club. This is really only worth it if you're able to stay in the preferred section of the hotel which is quieter and closer to the spa and tennis courts. For the room upgrade we would have had to pay $90 more per day but they didn't have an available room for us so we were all the way in the other side of the hotel which was annoying. Just know that Internet IS NOT included in the price of the hotel unless you are a preferred club member. And the bandwidth is pretty small too.

The room was clean but certainly nothing to write home about. The mattress was firm but the pillows were pretty crummy. Everything I mentioned until now were just some of the minor inconveniences. The worst part is the food. I can't handle all inclusive meals in general but here was ridiculous. Avoid the World cafe at all costs. I call it the "mess hall" for obvious reasons (and its a mess). The best snack food we could find was the pizza by the main pool which was quite good. For dinner we did not enjoy the Bordeaux restaurant even though it looked nicer. Finally on our last night we discovered the Ocean Grill or Seaside Grill and that was pretty decent. It's located between the beach and building 2.

Anyways, it was a nice trip and all and the hotel isn't terrible but do be aware of the food situation.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

We were really looking forward to this vacation as this was the first time that we took our third child, a toddler with us on vacation. It started out great-we got an amazing deal on a family suite which consisted of two rooms with two bathrooms, two TV's, basically, two of everything and the room was full ocean view right above the Infinity pool. The things we enjoyed:
1. Great beach-very calm, clean and warm water, plenty of beach chairs and shade provided by either palapas or trees.
2. The best entertainment program for kids I have ever seen-my teen and pre-teen have fought the daily nap we force them to take during these vacations because there was so much going on and I relented. You get Funny Money for the participation which is then used to bid for souvenirs during thrice-a-week auctions.
3. NIghtly shows were also very good, different from the usual resort fare.
4. The service is great for the most part-starting from the fast check-in to getting our luggage to the room within literally 5 minutes. Our maid, Faustina, kept the suite spotless and well-stocked with beverages and toiletries. Yubelkis at reception was really accomodating when it came to us requesting a late check out-we had an 8 PM flight out of Santo Domingo so keeping the room till 4 PM was truly helpful, and for the cost of $10 per hour, it's worth it. Alexis at the Infinity pool bar is a true asset-this guy is hilarious!
5. Fresh fruits at the beach-they cut up watermelon, papaya, passion fruit, pineapple, really nice to have a little healthy snack.

Now, here is why I had to knock off 2 stars-for the first time in my 15+ years of going to all inclusives at least once a year all over-Mexico, Jamaica, DR, Aruba, both my husband and I became sick from the food. We did not fo anything different this time, and are both very moderate drinkers, yet, both he and I spend a full day glued to the bathroom, thankfully, it happened on different days, otherwise, we would have a hard time taking care of the kids. I spoke to several other families and many complained of the same issue. I tried not to let it spoil the rest of the wonderful things that the resort had to offer, and I will probably give it another chance because there were so many other positives that suited my family, but I urge the management to conduct a thorough investigation of their sanitary practices. If you notice, most of the negative reviews about the resort are from visitors who fell sick due to the food, so clearly, there is something going on.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Rudy R, Manager at Dreams La Romana, responded to this review, November 28, 2012
Dear Babysladkaya,

We would like to thank you for taking the time to post a review in regards to your recent vacation stay with us. We are so pleased to know you enjoyed the suite, the resort, especially the Kids club for your younger and pre-teen children. We were sorry to learn that you fell ill for a day during your vacation. We would like to reiterate the many reasons that one may fall ill when traveling abroad: excessive heat, lack of proper water consumption, excessive alcohol consumption, oils that foods are prepared with, over indulgence of foods not usually consumed, foods that are made with less preservatives, foods that are natural laxatives such as pineapple and coconut, as well as many others. As proper sanitation is of extreme importance, for this reason we have an onsite quality control manager who works diligently to maintain all aspects regarding this issue. We also take proactive measures to reduce the amount of bacteria spread by offering hand sanitation to all guests upon entering the main buffet. As we accommodate numerous guests on a daily basis, we consistently remain in contact with our onsite medical facility for any reporting’s of food related issues. We are very pleased to report that we do not have illnesses regarding food related issues. We thank you for your commentary and hope to have the opportunity to serve you again in the future.
Best Regards,
Crown Point, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

We just returned from an 8 day stay here, at Dreams. We have stayed with this company before, which is why we chose this resort. The beach was beautiful...very natural looking. The resort was wonderful, restaurants are far better than most All-Inclusives, especially Bordeaux. Our room was nice. The resort, itself, is HUGE....so we walked a lot, which isn't any big deal. The pools were fun and clean. Everything around this resort is immaculately landscaped, I felt like I was in a jungle. The workers were phenomenal. We loved Alexis at the swim up bar. He was hilarious...and remembered us every day he was there. He was cracking everyone up! Eddy Murphy, of the entertainment staff, was wonderful! He checked in with us every day, he saw us, made sure we were having a good time...and even gave my husband a pair of "AMERICANA" sunglasses, that he actually wore for the remainder of the trip. The rest of the staff was accommodating to everything we needed. They always answered questions or greeted us with smiles on their faces our airport transfers were set up and on time, and the room service menu was actually awesome! The breakfast eggs and omelet were scrumptious, more so than at the buffet, but you know, a buffet is a buffet. All and all I would definitely return to this property or AGAIN a resort in this chain.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Dreams La Romana? Share your experiences!