“Pretty place, crummy food” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Dreams La Romana

You added Dreams La Romana to your Saves list
Dreams La Romana
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playa Bayahibe | P.O. Box 80, Bayahibe, Dominican Republic   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Bayahibe
New York City, New York
“Pretty place, crummy food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

I'm not a big fan of all inclusive hotels in general and this one was no exception. The hotel is nice with various pools and a pretty beach. However there are draw backs. Our room wasn't ready when we arrived well past 3pm and for some reason we had to speak to about 3 different people about our vacay package before we could finally get to our room. We were exhausted and just wanted to lie down. We decided to upgrade the $60 per day to be part of the preferred club. This is really only worth it if you're able to stay in the preferred section of the hotel which is quieter and closer to the spa and tennis courts. For the room upgrade we would have had to pay $90 more per day but they didn't have an available room for us so we were all the way in the other side of the hotel which was annoying. Just know that Internet IS NOT included in the price of the hotel unless you are a preferred club member. And the bandwidth is pretty small too.

The room was clean but certainly nothing to write home about. The mattress was firm but the pillows were pretty crummy. Everything I mentioned until now were just some of the minor inconveniences. The worst part is the food. I can't handle all inclusive meals in general but here was ridiculous. Avoid the World cafe at all costs. I call it the "mess hall" for obvious reasons (and its a mess). The best snack food we could find was the pizza by the main pool which was quite good. For dinner we did not enjoy the Bordeaux restaurant even though it looked nicer. Finally on our last night we discovered the Ocean Grill or Seaside Grill and that was pretty decent. It's located between the beach and building 2.

Anyways, it was a nice trip and all and the hotel isn't terrible but do be aware of the food situation.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,183)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

We were really looking forward to this vacation as this was the first time that we took our third child, a toddler with us on vacation. It started out great-we got an amazing deal on a family suite which consisted of two rooms with two bathrooms, two TV's, basically, two of everything and the room was full ocean view right above the Infinity pool. The things we enjoyed:
1. Great beach-very calm, clean and warm water, plenty of beach chairs and shade provided by either palapas or trees.
2. The best entertainment program for kids I have ever seen-my teen and pre-teen have fought the daily nap we force them to take during these vacations because there was so much going on and I relented. You get Funny Money for the participation which is then used to bid for souvenirs during thrice-a-week auctions.
3. NIghtly shows were also very good, different from the usual resort fare.
4. The service is great for the most part-starting from the fast check-in to getting our luggage to the room within literally 5 minutes. Our maid, Faustina, kept the suite spotless and well-stocked with beverages and toiletries. Yubelkis at reception was really accomodating when it came to us requesting a late check out-we had an 8 PM flight out of Santo Domingo so keeping the room till 4 PM was truly helpful, and for the cost of $10 per hour, it's worth it. Alexis at the Infinity pool bar is a true asset-this guy is hilarious!
5. Fresh fruits at the beach-they cut up watermelon, papaya, passion fruit, pineapple, really nice to have a little healthy snack.

Now, here is why I had to knock off 2 stars-for the first time in my 15+ years of going to all inclusives at least once a year all over-Mexico, Jamaica, DR, Aruba, both my husband and I became sick from the food. We did not fo anything different this time, and are both very moderate drinkers, yet, both he and I spend a full day glued to the bathroom, thankfully, it happened on different days, otherwise, we would have a hard time taking care of the kids. I spoke to several other families and many complained of the same issue. I tried not to let it spoil the rest of the wonderful things that the resort had to offer, and I will probably give it another chance because there were so many other positives that suited my family, but I urge the management to conduct a thorough investigation of their sanitary practices. If you notice, most of the negative reviews about the resort are from visitors who fell sick due to the food, so clearly, there is something going on.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Rudy R, Manager at Dreams La Romana, responded to this review, November 28, 2012
Dear Babysladkaya,

We would like to thank you for taking the time to post a review in regards to your recent vacation stay with us. We are so pleased to know you enjoyed the suite, the resort, especially the Kids club for your younger and pre-teen children. We were sorry to learn that you fell ill for a day during your vacation. We would like to reiterate the many reasons that one may fall ill when traveling abroad: excessive heat, lack of proper water consumption, excessive alcohol consumption, oils that foods are prepared with, over indulgence of foods not usually consumed, foods that are made with less preservatives, foods that are natural laxatives such as pineapple and coconut, as well as many others. As proper sanitation is of extreme importance, for this reason we have an onsite quality control manager who works diligently to maintain all aspects regarding this issue. We also take proactive measures to reduce the amount of bacteria spread by offering hand sanitation to all guests upon entering the main buffet. As we accommodate numerous guests on a daily basis, we consistently remain in contact with our onsite medical facility for any reporting’s of food related issues. We are very pleased to report that we do not have illnesses regarding food related issues. We thank you for your commentary and hope to have the opportunity to serve you again in the future.
Best Regards,
Rudy Richardson
Resident Manager
Dreams La Romana Resort & Spa
Crown Point, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

We just returned from an 8 day stay here, at Dreams. We have stayed with this company before, which is why we chose this resort. The beach was beautiful...very natural looking. The resort was wonderful, restaurants are far better than most All-Inclusives, especially Bordeaux. Our room was nice. The resort, itself, is HUGE....so we walked a lot, which isn't any big deal. The pools were fun and clean. Everything around this resort is immaculately landscaped, I felt like I was in a jungle. The workers were phenomenal. We loved Alexis at the swim up bar. He was hilarious...and remembered us every day he was there. He was cracking everyone up! Eddy Murphy, of the entertainment staff, was wonderful! He checked in with us every day, he saw us, made sure we were having a good time...and even gave my husband a pair of "AMERICANA" sunglasses, that he actually wore for the remainder of the trip. The rest of the staff was accommodating to everything we needed. They always answered questions or greeted us with smiles on their faces our airport transfers were set up and on time, and the room service menu was actually awesome! The breakfast eggs and omelet were scrumptious, more so than at the buffet, but you know, a buffet is a buffet. All and all I would definitely return to this property or AGAIN a resort in this chain.

Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

The Dreams Resort is one of the most beautiful destinations I've ever been too. This was my first real resort holiday and first real romantic holiday with my girlfriend.

The beaches connected to the resort were awesome, whilst some of the reviews said they seemed small - I beg to differ. There was plenty of clean golden beaches and well keep scenery to see.

The drinks at the resort were awesome, I enjoyed them and let me hair down and I'm not normally a big drinker. There was plenty of options and plenty of recommendations either from the bar staff or people on vacation at the resort.

I decided not to take the offer on the room upgrade and didn't feel like we needed, service was pretty good in most places.

The food was average to not great, but its an all inclusive. I had some good food in the Mexican and the Asian Restaurant (even if the service in the Asian place was next to nothing). The was plenty of activities in the evening, plenty of events and activities planned during the day.

On tip, get a taxi or a form of transport their where you're not driving. Its a long driving and even with a GPS it wasn't easy to get too...

Room Tip: Don't go for the Upgrade, in my eyes it wasn't worth it. Look for lower numbered hotel bloc...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Phillipsburg, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

We came to Dreams as Guests for a destination wedding. They had a very good response and had approximately (160) people attend. We flew into Punta Canta and arrived at the resort about 5pm for a (4) night stay. We had decided to stay in the preferred club area for the extra peace and quiet available. We went to the preferred check-in with complimentary champagne and were given a room on the first floor facing the pool, not the partial ocean view room we had paid for, which are on the second and third floors. We waited for our luggage to be delivered to the room but we finally had to find and retrieve it on our own. My wife found the bags in the front of the lobby and started to bring them to the room herself when finally an employee offered to deliver them the rest of the way. The room turned out to be convenient for the pool and getting drinks at the bar. It was very clean and spacious enough for the two of us with a nice bathroom. The only minor issues were a very hard bed and not having a comfortable sitting chair in the room. The grounds were pretty and well maintained. The employees were very friendly and always looking to help with anything. The mixed drinks at the preferred pool bar were good, but to get the name brand liquor you need to request it, otherwise you get the well brand. The food was a huge disappointment for us. We enjoyed our meal at Bordeaux but were totally disappointed in the food at Portofino, so much so that we were driven to the World Café for the remainder of our stay. The World Café offered the most choices at finding something that was good to eat, which was still a challenge. We dined on a lot of fruit and found certain frequently served choices that were appetizing enough to eat. The best part of our stay was the wedding we attended on Saturday evening. The ceremony, which was outside along the shore with the sunset approaching, was a beautiful setting. The wedding buffet, which was served in one of the ballrooms, was better than the food we found at their “Casual Elegance” restaurants. We also truly enjoyed meeting the people attending the wedding and getting to meet the wonderful people of Dreams and the Dominican Republic.

Wallingford, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

This is the most beautiful resort we have been to. This was our third time doing an all inclusive (the first being another Dreams Resort in Mexico and the other a Riu in Jamaica). This exceeded both of those resorts. The water here is unbelievable! So crystal clear and calm. We snorkeled a lot over by the pier because there are so many fish and other things to explore. We found a couple of starfish right off of the beach as well. The sand was soft and there was always somewhere to lay in the sun.

The food was pretty good. The Mexican and French restaurants were our favorites. We loved having lunch over at the Seaside Grill on the deck. The drinks were plentiful and the bartenders were great. We would always ask for a Banana Mama with extra banana and they were happy to do so. I recommend going to the main pool bar for any kind of mixed drinks instead of the swim up bar. They blend them up fresh, instead of getting it from the pre-made machine.

We did not upgrade to the preferred club. We ended up being put in block 4 on the bottom level. Our room was 4139, and it was decorated very nicely. I think this is one of the upgraded blocks. It was a great location because we were right off the entranced to both pool areas. The hotel was very quiet, we never had any issues with rowdy people.

Our maid was so nice and every day we were surprised with little treats in our room (bag of coffee, key chains, a figurine, a rose, etc). We made an effort to tip her daily, so I don't know if that is why or if they do that for everyone. The entertainment team did a great job and we enjoyed their nightly entertainment. Everyone was so friendly here. The grounds people were always working hard as well.

If you go to the Gri Gri Dive Center on the end of the beach (where you get the snorkels and kayaks from), you can do their snorkel trip for $20. They take you out just a little ways from the hotel and you can see a sunken ship and feed all of the fish (bring bread!!). It was a highlight of our trip and I highly recommend doing it.

All in all, this hotel is great and we will definitely be returning!

Delavan Lake, Wisconsin, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

Everyone from housekeeping, waitstaff and entertainment staff is genuinely friendly. Coming from a tourist area myself, I know many in my area put on fake smiles for the tourists, but at Dreams Resort, the staff even had friendly eyes so you know it was for real! The food in the buffet was not the typical boring tasteless stuff you normally find in large buffets, but surprising flavorful and the variety allowed me to expand my taste buds. The only complaint I have is how long it takes to get beverages. The dining rooms are the slowest, but even the bars are slow and inefficient. I would suggest either ordering two beverages right off the bat or order the second as soon as the first arrives as the heat in the Dominican Republic will melt your ice in about five minutes.

Divers!!! The staff at GriGri Divers is just like the resort, very friendly and they truly want you to enjoy your vacation. My only complaint is the reefs near shore have taken a beating from the pollution and are very bleached out and the visibility is only about 40 - 50 feet. Not what I am used to in the Caribbean. But still, being underwater is better than being at work :o)

Brush up on your Spanish... Unlike Punta Cana where 80% of the staff speaks up to four languages fluently, only a handful here can do the same. Spanish is their language so if you can speak Spanish it will help if you do so. If you don't, please remember, you are in their country so be patient with them and make friends with those who are bi or multi-lingual, it will make your vacation that much more relaxing :o) I know that they are teaching English, French and German to all staff members, but they work long hours so I am thinking it will be many more years before they catch up to Punta Cana's skill level.

Specialty Restaurants: I was so spoiled by the quality of the food at the buffet, it sort of made the specialty restaurants seem average. Don't get me wrong, the food there was awesome also, but the hassles of wearing long pants and waiting up to an hour if you did not have reservations kept me from visiting them all, I just went back to the buffet. The grills at the beach were the only negative aspect of the food. The burgers were great, but the hot dogs were pathetic and there was nothing else available, just burgers and dogs. Once again, thank goodness for the awesome buffet. For those few reviews I have seen complaining about the food, all I can say is they must have had colds from the flight so they were unable to taste anything properly. The variety of flavors kept me trying new things every day.

Pools & Beach: Nice pools, but there really needs to be an adults only pool. Some people go on vacation to relax and get away from the kids. The beach was well groomed and as usual in the Caribbean, topless is allowed.

All in all this was a great vacation and I highly recommend this resort.

Room Tip: Building 4 is the Apple Vacations Building, right by the pools and Buffet. However, if you are an ea...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Dreams La Romana? Share your experiences!