“glad to be home” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Dreams La Romana

You added Dreams La Romana to your Saves list
Dreams La Romana
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playa Bayahibe | P.O. Box 80, Bayahibe, Dominican Republic   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #5 of 13 Hotels in Bayahibe
GreenLeadersGold level
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“glad to be home”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

just come back (sat) after 2 weeks at this hotel. the beach is fantastic the girls work hard on the beach getting drinks constantly always have a smile on their faces. swim up pool bar is great except when there are gangs of people shouting and screaming after to much drink. rooms are nice and clean the bed was so comfortably.room service is good (thats the only time you can get some chips with the meal). breakfast good but other meal times in buffet restraunt terrible, i lived on boiled potatoes (when they were not hard) and slices of tomatoes. entertaintment was terrible lobby bar ok if you like piano music all the time.cut my finger on piece of glass on seat asked girl for tissues as there was blood everywhere and she just looked at me and walked away, asked wan the male waiter and he was very helpful,went to seaview grill to try as it was open when we got there it was closed even though it was advertised as open om that evening, complained to the men on the conseige desk and was told it was a printing error, took my room number and was told it would be reported to the hotel manager did not hear a thing from him, so i dont think he was bothered at all would not go back to this hotel again and would not recommend it.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,349)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Thai first
Allentown, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

Well the arrival into the Punta Cana Airport was just like last year when I went. You’re greeted with a band with an older guy pushing his tip basket with his foot out in front of you.
The new road was very nice and quick. We arrived at Dreams in about 35 minutes. The driver didn’t speak English but that really wasn’t a problem.
We were great with a “Welcome Home” and a glass of champagne. It was a great first impression when you get out of the van into the lobby and you can see straight through to the pool and then the ocean. I love the resorts that have it set up like that. You get that “I’ve arrived” feeling.
I told them that we were staying in the preferred club and they whisked us off to the private check in. We were very well received and given all of the details of the resort that we needed. We were then led to our room and come to find out that it was actually a room that I requested. It was a very good first impression of the room as well. Room looked to be freshly painted and clean. The balcony was too small for my taste but that wasn’t an issue. Just know when places say partial ocean view they mean it but I knew that going in so that wasn’t a problem. The bathroom was very nice but the shower looked like it could use a grout cleaning (petty) but it was one of the nicest showers that I’ve seen in a resort.
The resort was a nice size. The preferred club pool was clean and mostly quiet. The preferred club room was nice and air conditioned. It’s always a great place to get out of the hot sun and to e-mail home when needed. They did put food out but I would suggest that they do better at that. I stayed at a resort last year in Punta Cana and was in the preferred club and they put out some serious food. They had sandwiches, chicken fingers, fries, desserts and all kinds of food items. Dreams had some little items that I would consider a very small snack and seemed to be almost the same thing every day. I think if they up-graded their food selection it would be much better.
We didn’t get the chance to try too many of the restaurants since there was only the two of us (me and my brother). We ate at the buffet for breakfast and most times for dinner. We didn’t want to miss anything at dinner since they seemed to be different every night. We did the Japanese restaurant and it was very good. We ate at the grill on the beach on the first day. They had the best pork chops but I never saw them again. They just may do that on the weekend but I’m not sure. We at lunch at the Seaside Grill but only one day. Get the steak and onions, excellent. Wanted to go to the Jungle restaurant but never made it there. We did make it to the French restaurant and that too was excellent.
The beach wasn’t all that small. I’ve seen post about a small beach. Yes it’s smaller than some beaches that I’ve seen but I would consider it a decent size. We even go to feed the fish when we went snorkeling. It was kind of cloudy but it was because of all of the storms that were out to see and bought in some unsettling waves.
The shows were ok (lip singing) but nice. The best was the fire and water show that they did in the pool. Be sure to take the camera that night. I forgot mine in the room. They did a great job.
The folks that work there were all nice but only one really stood out and that was Elizabeth. She just seemed to be the happiest and most outstanding worker. She deserves a raise for sure. She even carried drinks to folks sitting out at the pool during a heavy downpour. I gave her a nice. The ladies that cleaned rooms were always nice and pleasant. They didn’t speak English but if I needed something like a wash cloth, all I had to do was say Mira and they came in and I showed them. I asked for Agua and I got 10 bottles. People there over all didn’t speak English but I know very little Spanish to get by. My Spanish got better the more I drank. What was funny is that they all thought I was Dominican.
Oh we went fishing and no fish. I kind of knew that the fishing would probably not be so good since there wasn’t much mentioned in any blogs.
All in all I would say that this is a 4 star resort. I’m on the fence about going again but only because I usually do my country visits twice. I did the DR last year and this year so I’ll be going somewhere next year. I think if family and friends wanted to go there I would probably go with them. I would say that you would enjoy this resort so go and have a wonderful time.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Higuey, Dominican Republic
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

I had an amazing time with my wife at Dreams La Romana. We were celebrating our first year anniversary and lovedit. The honeymoon suite was nicely decorated and very spacious, separate living area from bed room, jacuzzi and ver confortable. We also had a nice romantic dinner at the wedding gazebo with a beautiful ocean view. our waiter Savinon was perfect. the chief concierge Mario was very helpful and accommodating. he made the difference in this trip. the staff was very friendly and we definitely are coming back very soon.

Room Tip: Honeymoon suite and preferred club is worth it.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

I enjoyed my stay at the Dreams La Romana Hotel. The staff here is quite friendly even though their English I found to be quite limited. I was most impressed by the activities they provide nightly whether it be a movie by the pool or the circus coming to town on the hotel grounds. The property itself is quite beautiful and expansive. However, I took away a star because my bathroom drain wasn't working properly and I had a difficult time always requesting fresh towels. I also took a star away because of the lack of water sports. There was no jet ski rentals, no parasailing, none of that which was my primary reason other than relaxation for being on vacation. Also the hotel doesn't provide transportation and is really far. It took 2 hours from Santo Domingo Airport and was quite costly. The cheapest I found was was through Dominican Tours and it cost for two people rountrip $168. All and all though the trip was nice and my boyfriend Naiym and I had a good time.

Room Tip: I got a standard room which for me was perfectly fine. My tip is you are hardly in your room other t...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
essex
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

We visited Dreams in September 2012 - This was our third trip to Dreams LA Romana, this time with friends, (we usually travel as a couple) and again we were stunned by the beauty of the resort and the staff. Our plane was delayed by 8 hours, so very late and very tired when we eventually arrived, (the new road reduces the transfer time from 2 hours to 50 mins) - Check in was painless, complete a form, take your keys and after a welcome drink and an explanation of where your accommodation block is it is a 5 minute wait for the bellboy to arrive with your luggage

The Grounds - are constantly being groomed and are stunning, fabulous selection of palm trees and shrubs with splashes of bright colourful flowers everywhere.

The rooms - are of a good size, having stayed in block 7 and block 3, the balconies are very small -just room for the two of us and a little table, but lovely views of the grounds/pool. The beds are large and linen very clean and changed daily, all the usual hotel toiletries are supplied along with towels and face cloths. Bathrooms are starting to appear worn, but do the job adequately. Although one day we had no hot water. My only issue would be with the hairdryer - it only ran on high (which was dangerously hot) and cut out because it overheated. Maid service was excellent - towel art was a lovely touch (many thanks Veronique)

The Beach - beautiful white sand, again cleaned every day, and the staff constantly roam the beach taking drinks orders and picking up any rubbish as they go - excellent. The sea is a fabulous colour and warm and usually calm - very inviting. We were fortunate enough to have dry, hot and sunny days for all of our stay even though it was "rainy season"

The restaurants: The buffet is great for breakfast - everything you could want, from cereals and yogurts, to spanish omelettes and pancakes. The dinner service is fine, but evening meals elsewhere were preferable. The French restaurant - very smart, service was good, but meal was very disappointing, greasy and tasteless - chose not to eat there again. Italian restaurant was again very nicely decorated and the meal was great. The best meal was sitting on the patio overlooking the ocean - simple food, burger, ceasar salad, steaks & chicken, but very good food and service. Asian restaurant - nice surroundings, and the food was good - not a great deal of choice but what they have is tasty.

Evening entertainment is a little lacking, just the lobby bar for live music, (too old for the disco) but there is the theatre. The staff try very hard to out a top class show but somehow just don't pull it off. Good on them tho - got more energy than us in that heat!!

The pools - both the main pool and the infinity pool are clean with plenty of loungers and shade available at the main pool, but the infinity pool is for those hardened sun worshippers - very few umbrella's available. The view from the infinity pool overlooking the beach is stunning. There are daily games to take part in both on the beach or at the main pool if you so desire.

The staff: All of the staff from from Waiters, maids, barmen and gardeners were very friendly and smiley. It was great to have a reply of "my pleasure" when being served, and when walking the grounds even the gardener's greeted us. The bar staff at the Infinity pool were a hoot - kept a smile on our face, benny in the buffet was a sweetheart, to many people to name individually - but thank you to all for your service.

We have already decided that this will not be our last trip to Dreams, the resort is beautiful, clean, friendly and as relaxing or busy as you want it to be.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

We was planning our vacation during a year, and we was comparing Punta Cana Vs. La Romana; we decided to have a different destination and chose la Romana; and definitively we found a Paradise. All my family and I stayed in Dreams La Romana, it is a huge hotel, we a awesome staff, good location, excellent venues for private event. We made our trip directly with the hotel and our Group Planner was Amazing Shirley Sanchez took care of all my group; she is very professional, and helps us a lot with our private check in, rooms, and our beach event. She is the best group Planner ever!!!
Restaurants: the staff is awesome in all restaurants, the food is excellent and all restaurants have a good ambience.
rooms: Are comfortable and clean; even when you are in the caribbean they were cool.
if you will stay in this resort you have to do it at the Preferred club, it is a private area with a pool, internet, a dedicated staff , premium drink we absolutely loved it.
Private Event: This hotel really have good areas for a private party. the banquet services excellent; the food, the waiters, decorations, we cannot ask for more.
if you ask us about come back to this hotel, the answer will be Absolutely!!!! WE WILL!!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

GREAT TIME!! HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
I just returned from staying at Dreams La Romana with friends and must say I am very happy to have chosen this resort. I particularly enjoyed the gorgeous grounds, fun pool and the beach. We received great service from all staff who are not only warm and friendly, but very professional and dedicated.
Dinner at Oceana was fantastic (go for the Surf & Turf) and Coco Café was a delight in the morning.
We are already planning to return to this amazing resort, it was all EXCELENTE!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Dreams La Romana? Share your experiences!