“An Excellent Choice” 5 of 5 stars

“An Excellent Choice”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

Best hotel in South Eastern Europe,
I read the
comments of a few'' unsatisfied'' guests and realize that their dissatisfaction probably has nothing with the hotel.
Several times we have stayed, will be staying next weekend also, however, compared to all the hotels in North Greece this is the best hotels without exception.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

272 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Nicosia, Cyprus
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

Unfortunately we paid a lot of money for this hotel "Porto Carras" without deserve it!! It was very dirty and old hotel without good service. The food was very terrible and its quality was very low!!
i definitely do not suggest this hotel to no one!! I also believe that the photos shown are misleading!!
Too disappointed!!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Belgrade, Serbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

For that amount of money you could get a better holiday. Only if you like screaming when you eating,sleeping and swimming, go there. Or your wife feed you with dog food. But think again, you probably don't wait in line for a meal . Here you will wait . For food, cafe, but not for beer (they mix with water) or house wine ( disgusting). Finally, you will go to Neos Marmaris to eat suvlaky every evening. With your "all inclusive" card in your pocket.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
G_Stamatiou, General Manager at Porto Carras - Sithonia, responded to this review, August 29, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your choosing our resort for your vacations. Your constructive comments are very important to us.
We sincerely apologize for the deficiencies you experienced during your recent stay. Please accept our sincerest apologies for the disappointing visit. We hope you will allow us another opportunity and will ensure you enjoy a delightful and seamless stay on your next visit.

Kind Regards,

George Stamatiou
Hotels Director
Doboj, Bosnia and Herzegovina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

How I spent my holiday at Porto Carras Sithonia, Halkidiki, Greece:

Each year, our family, as all other, is looking forward to a vacation, to forget the everyday responsibilities, problems and stress we are often exposed to. In April, 2012 I reserved and paid on time the required amount of money, for the holidays in the second half of July in Greece. To my great sorrow, pleasure in the holiday began to spoil my employees from the agency when I was 10 days before looking for a hotel voucher. They informed me that there was an "overbooking in the hotel," and that in the same hotel does not have room for us. This is not the first time that happened to me. 2 years ago we had a bad experience on vacation in Tunisia, when due to "overbooking" we were not placed in the hotel that I paid for. I thought that this accident happened, and that would not again, but ... That is why I insisted this year to stay in a hotel that I chose for the holidays with my family.

The Agency assumes no responsibility (although wet pays money on its account), because it is an intermediary agency from Serbia - which negotiates an arrangement with the hotel in Greece. Our communication has turned into a terrible quarrel and inconvenience with the agency official, who took my money and with which negotiated our holidays. Finally, they enable us to vacation at Porto Carras Sithonia. After the circus, we went on holiday with some trepidation that we will meet the same problem when we get to the hotel. To my delight, it was OK, we settled into the hotel. The room was clean, but it was not equipped for the standard EU should offer a 5 * Hotel: little yellow ants walking on the bathroom, one night I chased a black cockroaches, no LCD TV (as indicated in the advertisements), TV program modest, only a few channels, of which only one channel in English, the Internet is paid 7 EUR / day, and all other services not included in the "ultra all inclusive" arrangement within the complex are very expensive.

Another disadvantage that must be addressed is the pool hygiene, because during our stay was really suspicious. In a pool are swiming adults and children. During our stay, after 2-3 days, at the bottom of the pool have developed green algae, and instead drain and disinfect the pool, they have rubbed with the brushes and probably kill the algae with chemical preparations, which remain dissolved in the water bath). Besides, I do not think enough people hired to serve in a restaurant because the waiters just could not get clean tables during all 3 meals, even though they worked fast. I must say that we were satisfied with the offer of food, variety, quality and quantity. Staff in the restaurant were friendly, and in both the buffet by the pool and on the beach. During our stay, after a few days, stopped to procure natural fruit juices, they're probably drinking too much, so instead of it, they just offer soft drinks (cheaper product).

The basic motivation for our holidays in Greece and the choice of hotel are good advertising on web sites and guests impressions or comments, clean beaches, beautiful warm, clean, clear water and enjoy in a relaxing swim, lazing around, having fun with your family – as we are on vacation. Due to an insufficient number of beach umbrellas and chairs, the first 2 days of going to the beach (about 9 h in the morning), have become anxious search for free parasols and sun umbrellas where we can enjoy the grace of vacations by the sea, because nearly all have been busy. I think that on vacation in a 5 * hotel was reasonable that all guests have the opportunity to use umbrellas and lounge chairs on the beach. It is easy to calculate: the number of beds in the hotel, how many guests can be maximal, 2 chairs / umbrella, take into account that families come with small children, that some families are with 3 members, so they need 2 umbrellas and thus enable guests to be pleased with the service.

This year it was not even close to expectations, because I, like many hotel guests had to get up at 6 h wear towels on the beach, if we would like to reserve a place. But, well, I accepted it as inevitable and the solution for comfortable family enjoying in the holiday, cafe, swimming, walking in the hotel complex. After a few days of the regime, another surprise was waiting for us. When we arrived on the beach after breakfast, one of our towels was missing (we used our own beach towels). I was shocked by the officials for relations with the guests, when she told me that the day before the start, and that is still pending, the action by the seizure of one thing from the chairs of the group find without users supervision. It is said that the director had commanded it, to prevent reserving sun beds! I wonder if he had this summer at least once during the day, around 11 am, pulled out of his air-conditioned office and came to the beach to see how it looks overbooked.

On some umbrellas were highlighted information that the hotel staff will take things if find bed without supervision (but not where to find them). All my attempts to get back our towel, have been unsuccessful, because no one knew what happened, and did not even bother to at least be polite and say they are sorry for that. About 15 years consecutively spend their holidays at the seaside in different countries, in the morning we used to leave towels on the beach and no one touching even on the public beaches. I could not believe that we are going to stay at the 5 * hotel with guarantee of guests safety, in a closed type complex and had so problem. I propose, also, to review the security video cameras (towel is large and easily visible because of the colours), maybe it was someone under his arm brought to the hotel. One officer said that they have, and the other that they have no video control at the Hotel entrances, sent me to look for some officers on the beach, instead of humiliating discreetly solve the problem, as I am guest. The remaining days of our hollyday, we could go swimming together, have meals, coffee or juice because someone had to keep a towel on the beach! I would recommend that the Hotel Management until next season to find a solution to this and similar problems with which hotel guests faced. It should be mentioned that they also picked up things and hotel towels from the other guests no supervised on the beach. If the hotels beach towels are missing, it is charged 20 EUR / pcs. We counted, picking up for example, 25 towels x 20 EUR = 500 EUR of additional revenue per day for the hotel, because their towels left in hotel again. Cool.

In addition, I wonder if any of the managers saw the dirty old - white chairs on the beach, and only those old green and brown chairs (which were subsequently brought from somewhere). A little good will, detergent, sponges and water, could provide sanitary conditions for the use of those sun beds and guests are not thinking about possible skin infections during the holidays. During the evaluation of the services we provided at the Hotel, I took into account the fact that Greece's financial situation is really hard and it's impact on the standard of services provided, but no excuse for the inconvenience we have suffered. This was our first time to be a guest at Porto Carras Sithonia, but I'm not sure whether I want another of these "adventure to be paid."

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Nicosia, Cyprus
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

The hotel is clean but not very well maintained and smells a bit weird. The minibar was empty. The concierge during our check-in didn't speak greek, only english and russian! The travel advisors at the lobby ONLY SPOKE RUSSIAN!! The all inclusive price does not include cocktails or ice coffee. The whole complex is impressive but it is more of a big playground rather than a resort. The location on the other hand is excellent and very beautiful. However we rented a car and traveled to other nearby beaches in order to have a relaxed vacation because there were too many children. As I said, it is a big playground.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. Clearly from the details you have provided, we fell well below your expectations, and we are very sorry for this.Since our intention at all times is to satisfy all our guests, we have greek, english and russian speaking staff. We presume the travel advisors you mention must have been the represenatives of russian travel agencies, that are usually present at the lobby of the hotel in order to give information to their guests.In addition, we are sorry that you were unsatisfied with your stay in our hotel due to the fact that there were too many children, and indeed Porto Carras Sithonia can be considered as a family hotel. We feel happy though that you had the chance to explore the beautiful beaches and get to know Sithonia, this truly unique destination. Once again, thank you for sharing your experience and bringing these details to our attention.

Kind Regards,
George Stamatiou
Hotels Director
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012 via mobile

We stayed in the hotel for 10 days and enjoyed the sea and views. The hotel is "tired", the staff smiles only when see their supervisors. The restaurant is average by menu but the tableware is often dirty which is awful. Sunbeds on the beach are "reserved" from the early morning . I would not go again. For sure.

• Stayed July 2012
harlow
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2012

my wife 3 kids aged 7 5 and 2 went to this fantastic hotel, it was one of the best holidays i have been on. Lots of thing to do 3 great pools the ocean on your doorstep, Staff was great (hse maids great with 3 kids room hard to keep tidy but they would come tidy room arrange there teddy bears on there beds each day) bar staff good. Ok now negatives no ware to change money on site not great for a 5 star, but that is it loved it.

Room Tip: we had a golf view but could see the sea and mountains