“Great holiday” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 12 hotels in Kriopigi
Kronstadt, Brasov, Romania
“Great holiday”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012

great beach, great food and different every day, excellent staff, excellent services

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

147 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
  • Greek first
Maastricht, Limburg, Netherlands
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2012

I just came back from a holiday at this hotel and I can honestly say that the only good thing there is the beach. Actually, not so much the beach itself but the sea water.

First, we arrived late in the evening after the end of the dinner that is offered by the hotel and which we have booked as well. The good thing was that the staff was able to organize a dinner for us (at 22:30 in the evening), the bad thing was that we were not able to pay at that moment because their credit card reader was not working. However, the receptionist was pretty relaxed about this and told us that once it was fixed, he would call us.

We went to our room and I have to say that this was the room with the best view ever! It was in one of the adjacent building, on the top floor, a corner room which gave us an incredible view of the sea and the garden. However, the furniture was poor. I have to say I didn't really pay much attention to the furniture - what I wanted was a hotel that has a beach so that I didn't have to drive a few kilometers every day to reach a nice beach; I also have to mention that the room had a big terrace with nice comfortable chairs which gave me and my partner the chance to spend some nice evenings there and witnessing one incredible sunrise.

Now comes the bad part. Imagine you are on a holiday: you wake up in the morning, relaxed, knowing you are not working today but you can spend the whole day lying on the beach. Yes, but first you need to wake up between 7:30 and 10:00 so that you can have some breakfast (Ok, I know it is like this with all of the hotels but I never understood this - who was the one who lied to the hotels staff around the world that the guests would like to wake up early in the morning every day just for a breakfast when this could be the one week of your whole year where you actually have the chance to sleep in?). I survived the idea that I have to wake up early in order to get some food for which I have paid but I could not survive the thrill of being right there in the restaurant trying to make my way to get some food - every day there was a problem with the coffee mugs - they were always missing; the plates were not enough; the juices - better don't even try them, my perfume tastes better; the salami and the cheese were just 1-2 types, same with the jams; the pastries were of a poor quality (except one with apricots, I highly recommend it); and finally, the kids - I was just on the queue to get some fruits when a kid sneaked in in front of me and took the last piece of watermelon. OK, you say, it's just a kid, let him have it. Yes, but when this repeats a few more times, you realize that the kids are your greatest enemy if you want to make it to the food!!!

Then your day continues pretty calmly - you go on the beach, you see the serene water and the life seems perfect. Of course, you have to pay for the chairs and the umbrellas while it would be way more useful if their price was included in your final bill; of course, you have to deal with babies' crying, kids' screaming, and parents' inadequacy to take care of this mess but, unfortunately, kids are not forbidden there. I don't want to sound like a person who hates kids. I just dislike badly raised kids, and I dislike their parents as well. When I was a kid I was not allowed to move a cm away from my chair and not a single sound was coming from my mouth. However, if you ask the parents nowadays whether they can get their kids to their room so that they can scream there, the parents give you a mean look and start shouting at you that it's just a kid. So much for the silent afternoon. However, somehow you manage to listen only to the small waves and enjoy the fish swimming around your feet.

Later, after this generally chill day on the beach you are extremely hungry and in need of a proper food. And here comes the greatest nightmare. The hotel is providing dinner but the hotel does not have the capacity, the facility and the proper services to accommodate everyone. So, we had to wait in a queue for at least 20 min. every day until we were seated. Then, on of us had to sit to keep the table while the other is walking around like a mad person trying to find some plates. Then the fight for the food starts again - you are just about to get the last piece of something, when a kid sneaks in and gets in front of you. Not only that, but there was absolutely no variety in the dishes. The only thing that we had more choices was the salads - usually 5-6 different types. Otherwise, it was just a pasta with tomato sauce, a meal with some meat and sauce, and some pastry. The first day they had fish - my partner doesn't eat fish, so he got some of the meatballs - I honestly believe they were made with the sand from the beach. Moreover, I will never forget how a new plate of watermelon was brought and immediately a mother with her three kids armed with plates and forks took all of it and brought it to their table leaving a few more guests like me looking blankly at the empty plater.

Oh, another thing to mention - at least in our room the red sign for hot water was for the cold water and the other way around.

From all of the above, I can definitely recommend the place for the families - please, feel welcome to go and make a mess. However, I do not recommend it to anyone who actually wants to have some peace and order and wants to have a break.

And, finally, it is ridiculous nowadays for a 4 stars hotels to make its guests pay for internet connection that can't be used anywhere else but in the lobby and the hotel cafe and bar.

I wouldn't give this hotel more than 3 stars!

Room Tip: Choose room 837!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Kent
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2012

On first sight, this hotel looks idyllic......

Then you get inside and the horror movie starts playing......... This is the first time in nearly 4 years that I feel the need to post a negative review of a property, and during that time, I have been dismayed to read reviews of some hotels I had booked, only to find that they were unlike the majority of the reviews posted. But not this time.... This hotel deserves very bad review it's got and then then some!

Let's talk about the positives first it will only take a moment. The situation of the hotel is great, on a hillside on a shelf above a beautiful beach. They obviously make a lot of effort with grounds keeping and external maintenance, and their staff are so friendly and helpful. That's the end of the positive experience.

We drove into the overflowing car park and tried to find a small place to park our little hire car. There was nowhere on site and we were directed to a field across the busy road, which I refused to do until I had offloaded our luggage. The security guard who asked me to move did it so nicely and while we were checking in did manage to find me a space on site, so kudos to him.

Then we got to reception which was a long hot walk down a steep hill (this hotel is not for those who have mobility problems), and one of the two staff on duty decided to walk away without dealing with us, or offering any explanation of why she wasn leaving us to her colleague. Then, despite handing over a voucher which clearly said we had booked a twin bedded room with sea view, the receptionist first tried to put us into a small double dungeon with a fabulous view of the wall of the building downhill from it. We went straight back to reception who tried to tell us that there was no other room available... I stuck to my guns and funnily enough, a twin room with sea view in the main building was suddenly available - except when we got there, it was on the hillside view side of the hotel. Back to reception we went... To be told that there really was no other twin room available, and if we would give them tonight they would sort us in the morning. While we accepted the twin room, I did get on to our tour operator, who managed to speak to a manager, and got us an assurance of a move, with an apology of free sunbeds and umbrella on the beach for our stay.

The twin room we spent the first night in was small and at first had no functioning zircon. The shower room was tiny, and using the shower meant flooding the floor as the shower tray was so shallow it overflowed.

Then we won't to what was described as a full breakfast........ Well it wasn't what I would call a full breakfast, it was a continental breakfast with eggs in many forms (fine for those who can eat the horrid things - not so good for those like me who are allergic to them and even the smell can make me quite ill ) it wasn't worth the 10 euro/ person it would have cost had we been paying, and the breakfast experience put us off the dinner offering which was an extortionate 25euro/ person. In fact explorations of the nearby restaurants saw us getting food and drink for two for less than 25 euro for both of us!

When I went to reception, I was told that I had indeed been earmarked for a new room, but it wouldn't be available until around 2pm and I was given my free beach set voucher. The sea view room was a million times better, with a double and single bed, and a proper bathroom, so kudos for that, but as I was collecting my new room key, I couldn't help hearing another couple who had just arrived being given the same runaround as we had had the day before.

Short answer is that I wouldn't stay in this dump again if you paid ME to do so. The food is really bad, the majority of the accommodation is pretty dank and it's very overpriced for what it offers. If I wasn't on a tight budget, I would be looking for an alternative place to stay, as it is, we are spending on eating out as much as possible and frequenting the local supermarkets for bottled water.

Room Tip: Sea view rooms in main building are worth fighting for. The rest aren't worth it! Go elsewhere t...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Bucharest, Romania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2012

Although the surroundings are beautiful the hotel is a hole. The service is miserable, the rooms are outdated and full of ants. No shampoo, no towels, bad odour. The personnel is stupid and arrogant. It's a typical family hotel in Greece, meaning you can find lower income people from around Romania and Greece, uneducated, filthy and noisy. Don't go there under any circumstances!

Room Tip: Choose another hotel.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
rus
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2012

Comfortable hotel with very clean beach (has a Blue Flag). Hotel is very good for relaxation, not for active people. Very green big territory with pool and beautiful garden.
It has a good infrastructure for disabled persons.
Walking 10-15 minutes to Kriopigi village and 30-40 minutes to Kallithea. Bus stop is near entrance to the hotel.

Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Belgrade, Serbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2011

Very nice hotel! Magnificent beach! Food is mostly typical Greek. As we were on honeymoon we got suit and it was lovely room with see view. I kindly recommend this hotel as well for young people as for older. Overall we had beautiful vacation and honeymoon.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Belgrade, Serbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2011

was there in '02 with girlfriend, all arranged by Tui and Dertour. First receptionist tried to put me n some house opposite of the street and hotel, after little quarrel with manager we got small room in hotel. After 4 days they gave my better room cause I paid first 5 days to Dertour and other 5 days to Tui. Halfbroad was avarage, w/o choices for 4* hotel, furniture was dated in that time, restoran service and maid stuff was avaragepool insufficient for number of gests, nice garden, view, clean beach with blue flag but stairs or elevator down there. My good friend was there 2 weeks ago, didn't listen to me and past worse then me; food hellable, poor service, rooms for 2-3* hotel etc. Position of the hotel is correct, but all in all this is no more than 3* hotel needed total restauration and change management approach.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Alexander The Great Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!