“best hotel halkidiki” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Afitos
moreton wirral
“best hotel halkidiki”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2010

just come back from are stay at this great hotel againe can recomend this hotel very high on the best we have stayed in , rooms are very clean and spacious cleaned every day ,the atmospere at this hotel is great with wonderfull and friendly staff and manergment,the food is of a very high standerd ,and you want to try the barbecue night the is so much food to choice from,you can also take a stroll into town center as only a small walk away with plenty of bars and tavernes to pick from.the is a good pool and good gym for the more energetic or you can just loung round the pool and relax the is also a good play are for the kids this hotel is well worth a visit

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
  • Greek first
Kent
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2010

This hotel looked beautiful in the brochure and it exceeded expectations. When we arrived at the hotel I was slightly worried as the pathway up to the hotel didnt look great (as mentioned in previous comments), but you walk through a doorway and it is like entering another world. You are greeted by Magda, one of the owners who is lovely. She likes to meet each of the guests personally and helps take the luggage to the rooms which is welcome after travelling for the whole day. The rooms are beautiful and maintained to a very high standard. They are cleaned each day and the cleaners dont just clean clear surfaces, but they tidy things up then clean! The area around the pool is pure relaxation. The furniture looks brand new and the pool is lovely and a decent size. There are always enough sun loungers, even if you have been out for part of the day, although you have to be up early if you want a comfy sofa! The area around the pool is cleaned every day and the gardens are looked after really well. The gym is also good for such a small hotel. The bar is reasonably priced - beer and wine are cheap - and the food is homemade. I would recommend the BBQ night as the owners make this an enjoyable and relaxed night with lots of lovely food. The staff at the hotel really make you feel at home, and get to know you on a first name basis. Thank you all to Magda, Achilles, Christina, Matt, Sarah and Helena who all made it a wonderful stay.

The village is down a rather steep hill but is relatively unspoilt by tourism. There are a number of lovely restaurants - try Christos for the stuffed chicken! although expect to pay more up on the balcony.

Overall this was a well needed relaxing holiday that we really enjoyed. It is fantastic value for money and we fully intend on returning next year. If you want relaxtion in beautiful surroundings with a friendly, clean and modern hotel then you cant go wrong here.

Northampton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2010

My partner & I have just returned from our first trip to the Achtis and have had the most fabulous time. Having travelled throughout the Greek Islands over many years this was our first experience of Halkidiki and we were not disappointed. I can not speak highly enough about Magda, Achilles and the staff who make your stay here so memorable. Nothing is too much trouble and I agree with the other reviewers who have said that you leave here feeling that you have made friends.

The room was beautifully decorated to a high standard, extremely comfortable and kept spotlessly clean. Likewise the communal areas, plenty of loungers and seats around the pool and in the gardens. It is so peaceful and I understand why it has become known as the secret garden. The pool bar has a really good range of snacks and meals and we ate here on a couple of occasions. I reccommend the weekly barbeque, an excellent spread and a good opportunity to meet the other people staying in the hotel.

Further afield, the village has a lovely traditional feel to it, not over run by the ususal 'tourist tat' shops that I have experienced in other resorts. It is a bit of a steep walk down the lane from the hotel - whilst this didn't cause us a problem its worth noting for anyone who has mobility problems.

We travelled with my partners family who had not been to Greece before - this was an excellent first experience for them and they can't wait to go back. We are seriously considering it as our honeymon destination but, either way, we will certainly be going back.

Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2010

Before I start with the hotel I want to mention the staff.
Right down from the top, Magda and Achilies (owners) the staff are all
fantastic, Magda and Achilies have created such a relaxed atmosphere at
the hotel that it seems to rub off on all the staff. The pool bar is run by Matt, and the beautiful Sarah and Christina and
nothing is too much trouble for them, they are all stars!!! and we felt
like they are all now our friends.
Even the maids are lovely and always say "hello" and "how are you".
Magda is sooooo nice! she even offered to go and make me some soup to settle my stomach one day when I was unwell, I mean come on this is a hotel owner I met two days earlier and she is acting like my mum!!!!!
thats how nice she is.
Magda and Achilies are always about the place from early morning till late at night and are very aproachable, there was no hair dryer in our room for some reason
( a small crisis for my wife), 5 miniutes after mentioning it to Magda and one turned up in our room.
We chose this hotel without reading any reviews and knowing only what it said in the Thomas cook brochure. The brochure does not do this hotel any justice at all.
From the moment we were met by the owner Magda, and taken to our room, we
were made to feel like guests and not customers and having stayed in
hotels all over the world from Barbados to Barcelona this is not something I have ever been made to feel before.
The hotel is absolutely perfect, we stayed in a standard double room and it was beautiful, by far the best we have ever stayed in in Greece, the pool and gardens are really nice and well looked after and everywhere around the pool and grounds are washed down first thing in the morning and then last thing at night.
Our room was cleaned every single day by two of the nicest and happiest maids you will ever meet.
Breakfast is served in the pool bar from 8 - 10 and is a self sevice
buffet style with cereal, croissants, cold meat, fruits, yoghurt, cheese,
bread, toast, jam, honey and cooked bacon, eggs and sausage.
The pool bar is open all day and is really well run, it is operated using
a running tab system where you just sign for drinks and food and then
settle up at the end of your stay (or every couple of days if you wish)
this did not seem like a good idea at first but soon you realise not
having to have your wallet with you by the pool and not having to mess
about with change (that the Euro seems to give you alot of) is much
better. The bar is not as expensive as some either in fact at €3.50 for a
large draught beer is cheaper than some of the bars in the town.
To cover some points in another review I have seen that called this hotel dangerous and creepy, that is simply ridiculous to be honest.
The water in our room was red hot and had to be mixed with lots of cold
water, the bathroom was beautful and did not leak anywhere and was cleaned everyday by the maids.The Gym was excellent and the lights did not go off whilst I was in the there
and only reason that the bouncy castle was not up was because there had been a couple of thunder storms and there was a very strong wind blowing.
Calling this hotel creepy and dangerous is quite frankly an insult to all reasonable thinking people.
Even when we were leaving Achilies and Magda made a point of saying
goodbye, something which left my wife in tears as she did not want to come home.
All in all a fantastic holiday!

west mids
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2010

we have just returned from our first stay at the achtis which had been recommended by friends who were returning again as they were so impressed with their first stay-they do not normally holiday at the same place twice but i can see why!The hotel is very inviting and is in a lovely garden setting,the pool surrounded by lovely areas to sunbathe or take shade in very comfortable areas which are not overcrowded so appear relatively private,not like many places we have stayed where the sunloungers are placed very closely together.The managers Magda and Achilles are always available on site during the day if needed,the staff appear to be very hard working,friendly and helpful all in all i would say a good team.The rooms and communal areas were cleaned to a high standard and pool area immaculate being hosed down twice daily!Afitos is a lovely traditional greek village with lots of lovely restaurants and bars,and it was lovely to see so many locals in the square in the evening enjoying themselves and to be part of it.I would return to Afitos and The Achtis hotel again.Thank you Magda and Achilles

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
Wales
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2010

My boyfriend and I have just returned from a fabulous week at the Achtis.

When we arrived we were greeted personally by the owner, Magda, who explained that we were a little early so we could have a choice of one of two rooms. The hotel is so laid back and relaxed that there was nothing to sign to say we had checked in, which surprised us, but we soon realised that this was due to the chilled out nature of the hotel. Our room was beautifully decorated with modern wallpaper and a lovely bed frame. We had a room on the third floor, which looked down on to the swimming pool area and immaculate garden area. We were equipped with a big fridge (definitely needed to chill drinks in the boiling weather) and a kettle but no tea or coffee, but this didn't bother us as we are not coffee/tea drinkers anyway. The room also has a safe and airconditioning free of charge.We were more than happy with our room.

The hotel is very small and personal, which I found lovely as we have previously travelled to larger hotels. There are only a handful of staff at the Achtis and they are all extrememly hard working and incredibly friendly, we enjoyed getting to know them all throughout the week. We were really shocked by how well the cleaners tidied our room day after day. Not just making the bed but putting things away and making it look as though we had just arrived every single day!

The pool area is amazing. There is relaxing music played all day, and more than enough sun beds for every guest. We came on this holiday for a week of relaxation and we definitely got what we wanted.

The only complaint I would have (and it's only a small complaint) is that the shower did leak slightly. and the very long walk down to the beach... but that's just my laziness.

With reference to the previous negative review - I think the bouncy castle has now been taken down. Even so, I wouldn't have let a faded bouncy castle ruin my holiday.
There is certainly nothing dangerous about this hotel, apart from perhaps Matt's lethal cocktails ;) and we loved it so much that we are planning to return in the near future! Thank you Achtis for a wonderful week.

chesterfield
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2010

This was our second holiday stay at the Achtis hotel and once again we left for home with a heavy heart, wishing we could stay a little longer.

From the moment you arrive to the time to leave, this is holiday heaven.

Attention to detail is at the heart of the Achtis, each room is individually decorated and finished to the highest quality, right down to the Egyptian cotton towels in the bathroom.

On arrival you are personally greeted by Magda who shows you to your room, no long queues and delayed check-ins. Then time to relax, do you go to pool, plenty of sun loungers and chairs, or do you go into the garden to settle under hand thatched sun shades with hooks for bags and shelves for books, the detail once again.

We did neither and went straight to the bar.

The food and drink served in the bar is as good as anything you will find in Afitos, with freshly prepared food, daily specials and excellent service. I personally recommend you try the burger, it is the finest I have tasted, and believe me I know my burgers.

I travel the world extensively and only wish I could find an Achtis wherever I go, but that is to miss the point. What makes the Achtis is the people, from the team who manage and run the hotel to the many returning guests; you are never far away from a friendly smile and good conversation.

The Achtis team really do make the hotel stand out from the best, Christina (big love), Matt (your a star), Sarah (keep smiling), Anna & Natalie (great food). As for Achilles and Magda, they should be very proud of what they have created; they are the most finest and kindest hosts you could ever hope to meet.

And finally, the Achtis is a very environmentally friendly hotel, and therefore I would like to offer some holiday tips;

Each room has its own very spacious fridge which you can use to keep things cool. To save energy they always turn down the fridge between occupancy.
TIP: I always find that the knob with the numbers on, once turned, will make the fridge cooler.

When you arrive, take a look at the roof of the hotel, I have never seen so many solar panels. In fact I had a hot bath most nights, I'm sorry but I'm from Yorkshire.
TIP: To regulate the temperature of the water pay attention to the blue and red spots, red is for hot and blue is for cold.

We used the gym most nights; the lights in the gym are activated by motion.
TIP: Keep moving, not hard in a gym. If by chance you fall asleep, be aware you may awake in complete darkness. Don't worry, simply move an arm and the lights will come on.

We will visit the Achtis again, as will many others; it is quite simply holiday 'PERFECTION'.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Achtis Hotel? Share your experiences!