“Paradise!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 9 hotels in Afitos
Portsmouth
“Paradise!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2008

Just got back and absolutely loved it! This hotel is simply a paradise! Contrary to other reviews the rooms are large and spotlessly clean. The food is lovely and the restaurent is spotlessly clean. The grounds of the hotel and the views are simply breathtaking. Personally we had no problems with the service as other people have said, infact one day it was raining and a member of staff knocked on our door to ask if we were ok and whether we needed anything. It was just the perfect holiday spot and so relaxing. The sunbeds on the beech are free to hotel guests and there are also sunbeds around the pool as well as numerous areas with stunning views to sit. For a deposit of 10 euros (fully refundable at the end of your stay) you get clean beach towels each day.

My only critisism is that the prices of drinks are over the top. 10 euros for a Jack Daniels and coke which we found excessive, but stick to Mythos beer and you'll be fine!

I would recommend this hotel to anybody who wants a relaxing holiday in the perfect setting.

• Liked — The stunning location
  • Disliked — Price of drinks
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

100 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
  • Greek first
Martigues, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2007

My wife and i stayed at the Afitis early Oct 2007. I must say that i was rather worried after having read others reviews but it was too late as i had already booked.
My God what a great surprise, eveything was just perfect, the room, the pool, the meals. By the way the young waitress, Lena was wonderful, always a little smile and a nice word.
I highly recommend this hotel and please do not beleive what others say. I am even wondering if those reviews are not from other hotels around....

• Liked — the overall quality
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Auckland, New Zealand
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2006

The main problem of this hotel is that they want to look like "Intercontinental" but it's only small family hotel with small stuffy rooms, bad service and flies in restourant.
Narrow beach, prices for sunbed+umbrella - 5 euro, 1 beach towel for 2 weeks if you don't ask on reception......
Dangerous Input in water.

• Stayed June 2006, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Northern Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2006

I stayed for a long weekend at the end of August, The hotel itself is nicely situated on a semi-private beach. The grounds are very nice. My double room was small but very functionally laid out and nicely decorated with good storage space. The bathroom was not spacious but okay, except the shower stall was very small (I'm a petite female and I thought it was very tight!). There were international channels on the TV, a mini-fridge (guests are warned not to use it for personal food/drinks), balcony with drying racks for towels and swimsuits, and nice beach towels (changed every two or three days) in the room. The bed was a little hard but not uncomfortably so. The room was very clean and serviced daily, though I am not sure if the sheets were changed during my two night stay. The included buffet breakfast was substantial and tasty (cereals, breads and cookies, fruit, yogurt, meats, eggs, juices, coffee, tea, etc.) and served pool-side. While there were families with young children, they were not disruptive and usually stayed by the pool instead of coming down to the beach. The beach is a little secluded and there is a rental fee for the umbrellas and lounge chairs (I can't remember if it was 5 or 7 euros for the day) so it was mostly hotel guests. There are pleasant lounging areas in the lobby, including a reading room and game room. I did not patronize the hotel's dining facilities. The pool area was pretty and clean but there weren't that many chairs set up (no charge for use). The hotel was pleasantly quiet so a good night's rest was possible. Generally, I have to rate the hotel facilities highly.

The biggest problem was the service. The hotel staff were absolutely apathetic. (But they do speak English, at least.) I had to call three times to make a reservation. Each time I was told they were too busy (I called at non-peak hours) and to call back. Finally, I called and demanded that they stop wasting my time and just tell me if they had a vacancy or not. The front desk would not give me decent driving directions to the hotel from the village (although I asked twice before heading down to Greece from Macedonia) so I wasted 40 minutes driving in the village and along the beach trying to get there. Even when I called as I was driving because I was so lost, they were very unhelpful. When I checked in, no one told me that it was dangerous to enter into the water except via one access point from the beach so I went in and got five sea urchin spines wedged into the back of my heel. When I couldn't get all the spines out myself, I went to the front desk and asked for tweezers or a needle or ANYTHING to help me get them out. Totally unhelpful. Wouldn't help me find a doctor, told me to walk up to the village to see if a pharmacy sold tweezers (walk ten minutes uphill with searing pain in my heel?), wouldn't even call up to the pharmacy to check, and finally told me the pharmacy was closed anyway for the afternoon (at least I didn't make the trip in vain). I got more help from a German couple also staying at the hotel who told me that the front desk should have told me when I checked in about the dangers of walking into the water from the beach (and they lent me some tweezers!). The staff wasn't surly or even rude. They were just totally, completely unhelpful and apathetic. No sense of customer service, no desire to help. Just utter apathy. Even getting a local restaurant recommendation was just very difficult. I understand this is a common complaint about Greek service but for a hotel this nice with an international clientele, you would think maybe there would be some effort into properly training the staff?

Since the hotel is down by the beach and the village of Afitos is up the hill, it's a long windy drive down. But there is a steep walking path (mostly wide stairs) going up into the center of the village so it's very easy to get to the restaurants and shops, though you may arrive somewhat breathless. The village is overrun during the summer with tourists but still charming. It's small so you can easily walk through most of the village in about an hour or two. If you are an American and used to starting dinner before 8 PM, you won't have any problems finding a table in a restaurant. There's a wide variety of eateries from ice cream and sandwich places to full service tavernas.

All in all, the hotel is very nice and the privacy of the beach was wonderful for relaxing. But the service was so dreadful that it really marred the experience. Not sure if I will go back or not.

• Liked — Well-designed rooms
  • Disliked — Service was terrible
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Bucharest
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2006

To start with the end, better stay home. Hotel is rated 4*, what a joke, it's more like 2-3* according to US/EU standards. Room, so-so. Small fridge with bar inside the room, don't try to put your personal drinks inside, they will throw them out. Also don't try to go to dinner with short pants or slippers, you are not allowed. Oh, forgot, this is not Waldorf Astoria, i's a small hotel on the beach. Forgot to mention, my brand new BMW M3 was vandalized in the parking lot of the hotel second night, steering wheel and navigation/CD stolen, EU 5,000 lost, car immobilized. Nobody cared, policeman came to the scene could not stop laughing by what had happened.

Stayed July 2006
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2006

We have stayed a few times at the Hotel Afitos. My gosh, what a wonderful spot. The beautiful breakfasts are to faint and die for! And, I can rank the waters here as having provided me with the venue for the "very best swim of my life." We liked to stay in one of the rooms outside of the main building. If you look at the picture of the hotel, there are @ 6 suites on the left side of the building. Our favorite was the room on the top floor, huge patio (you could have 10 guests comfortably), the orange trees reaching up so close you could touch them. Fabulous view, and a great awning to provide cover from the hot sun or the sometimes sudden and brief rain storms. We were only there for one, but what an experience! Cleared right up.

The town of Afitos is charming, nad our favorite in the area. Enjoy.

Mcorah

• Stayed June 2004

Been to Afitis Hotel? Share your experiences!