“Former regular customer, I will not visit again” 1 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Afitos, Afitos 630 77, Greece   |
Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in Afitos
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Rome, Italy
“Former regular customer, I will not visit again”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

This was my very favourite hotel in Greece. Since 2010, I have stayed there some 8 times : alone, with friends, with my partner, with my parents and with my parents in law. I loved the very nice location, the private beach and the amazing service. This is no longer the case and I will never visit again.

My partner and I went to the hotel to pick up his parents after a week there and we booked a week end for us. We got a sea view room - nothing amazing per se but the view is really stunning. Upon our arrival on Friday evening, we noticed that the room was very hot and the AC did not seem to work fine. We thought that it would take some time to cool down due to the 38 degrees outside and the AC was off when we got there so we tried to fall asleep because we were really tired and it was very late. We woke up at 7 a.m. because it was so hot that we both felt like suffocating. We then called the reception and the staff told us that "it is normal to feel warm when the sun goes up" but he came to check nevertheless. He realized that it could do nothing and asked us to wait for the technician. Half an hour later, and upon another call, another person came, pushed some buttons and realized the obvious: the AC did not work. We have been told that the technician should do some more works. We told him that it was fine but meanwhile we needed to sleep somewhere else and with the AC because we really needed to sleep a bit after our four-hour drive and the uncomfortable rest we just had. He then said that the booking department would call us at nine, when they arrive. My partner went sleeping ON THE BALCONY, in a desperate search for some breeze and I remained on the bed waiting for the phone call that never came. I must have fallen asleep and then woke up again around eleven in a pool of sweat in a 40 degree room. I called again, nobody at the reception seemed aware of the problem we reported. We learned that the hotel could not give us another room becasue it was fully booked. Desperate to find some air, we put on some clothes, left the room and asked for someone to fix the problem asap so that we could go back and sleep a bit. We then went to the pool, asked to get something to eat but the kitchen opens at 1 so we had to wait. I asked for a coffee with no milk (I am allergic,and they know that perfectly after so many stays, the most recent just a few days before) and I got my coffee with milk. Pointed out that I said NO milk and after a long wait I got it fine. Then go back to check the room and nothing had been done. I urged the reception to speed up because I really wanted to rest, I have been asked to wait so we could all go and check the room with the technician and I instead asked that they took care of the problem while I tried to get some food. At one we went for lunch at the restaurant a la carte and ordered some fish, making it clear that I did not want milk or butter in it due to my allergies. The staff said she got it and when I got my meal it tasted very buttery - after I inquired with three different people and the chef, and after they all told me that there was no butter, the fourth person inquired better with the chef and found out that it was cooked in butter. I then decided to check the room and just go to sleep without eating and was told the everything was fine. I went upstairs and yet again found a 40 degree room with the AC off. I turned it on and found out it was still broken. Called the reception, a staff came with another technician and both said that I needed to wait a bit. Nothing cold came out of the AC, we did wait but it was increasingly hot so we packed to leave.

We went downstairs to explain that we did not appreciate: the sloppy service, the lack of follow ups and the lie about fixing that ancient AC machine. We then informed that we were leaving one day before because our little holiday was anyway ruined. Please, do mind that I had paid half stay in advance (157 euros!). I told them that I of course did not intend paying for the second night and I did not find it fair to pay for a fully equipped sea view room and breakfast considering that this was not what we got - no AC, no proper assistance, no breakfast because we were dealing with the AC and could not sleep. The staff pretended to be understanding and then asked to pay for a coffee and a burger that we had over lunch, but not for the fish with butter that almost killed me. I was furious: a top hotel messed up everything for a silly AC issue and does not think to take care of two regular customers who just a week before had paid something like 1,500 euros for two rooms and several extras?! Nobody thought of giving a complementary meal and tried to keep us there? It did not come to their minds that I had already paid 157 euros to get one night on the balcony, a sloppy service for lunch and to spend 7 hours pushing them to fix the AC that was never fixed? So much for a customs-oriented hotel! I pointed it all out and said that I was shocked to see how little initiative they showed, and the staff did not do anything to apologize but invented excuses to say that other staff did not report about our problems. Whose fault is that? Not mine, I believe. Still, I left at 2 in the afternoon after a horrible night and an even worse day, not getting a refund (not even partial!) for the first day and did not get any offer to compensate i.e. really fix the AC, get us a complementary dinner and put on the table some special offer for a week end in September, when the hotel is empty anyway. Nothing of this, no attempts to keep two regular customers and they even tried to get some little money for the small food we had while waiting for a room that I paid for an never got.

Heartbroken, I had to go back home and promised them not to go back again. I am really sorry for this, we loved Afitis very much and it is extremely offensive to be treated like that - the hotel has all our contact details and they could have called us later to try and make it up to us but nothing.

Please, think twice before going: a clearly understaffed and getting old hotel where the customer service is perfect only when there are no problems. Good luck!

Room Tip: Get the mountain view: rooms are newer and cooler (if the ancient AC does not work, you may apprecia...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Giota V, Manager at Afitis Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Our Hotel has a history of over 35 years,while at the same time the majority of our clientele are repeated and loyal guests.Our core value is to solve any issue that might occur immediately and locally on the spot.
Regarding the below claim we would like to share following details:
The booking was made on the 15th of June for a period of stay from the 21/6 – 23/06. The booked room type was a Double Sea View room at the daily rate of 137,50 euro per night which was also the amount withdrawn by us as a deposit.
On the 21st of June clients checked in at our Hotel at 21:00. At 07:00 in the morning of the 22nd of June, they contacted the Reception desk in order to report that their A/C was not properly functioning. Our technician checked the A/C at once and at 11:00 in the morning the problem was solved and guests were informed relatively.
Guests went for lunch on the same date at our Mesogeios a la carte restaurant. They informed the waitress in duty that they are allergic to milk and butter. Unfortunately, our Chef informed us, that the waitress lacked to provide this information to him. When the plate was served and this was noted, the waitress took it back and our Chef prepared another plate suitable to their preferences.
Shortly after their lunch guests asked to speak to a Supervisor and declared that they wish to leave the property.Moreover, they shared to the front office clerk that they expected to get a total refund of their deposit. Additionally, they left without paying their extra consumptions of the total amount of 40.00 euros.From our side, they were charged only with the amount of the first night of their stay.
For sure the above mentioned situation is very unpleasant for us too and we are feeling deeply sorry that our customers did not enjoy their vacation.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
  • Greek first
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

We returned home yesterday after spending a week at the Afitis Hotel. Generaly Greece don't do 5 star as we know it ...although whenever I've stayed in 4 star hotels here they are basic but very clean. The Afitis standard room is basic but very clean and we had a supurb sea view. The Hotel staff are first class and very attentive which made a huge difference from where we had stayed before in Afitos. We chose half board and wasn't disapointed, the breakfast offers enough options to satisfy all, and the evening meals were of very good standard with a fair variety of traditional Greek favourites. If your looking for a relaxing week with good weather I would recommend the Afitis Hotel.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 123, I enjoyed a lovely sunrise every morning with beautiful views over the well m...
Thorpe Bay, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

My wife and I returned today having spent a week at Hotel Afitis. We booked on a recommendation which it completely lived up to. The Champagne reception on arrival set the scene for what was a wonderful relaxing week in the sun. We booked on a bed and breakfast basis, our room was lovely and the breakfast selection was excellent. We ate out in Afitos every night which was very cheap but had lunch at the hotel which was lovely. The view is stunning and the service was second to none. We would thoroughly recommend this hotel to anyone who is looking for a relaxing week in the sun, we would definitely return.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

I never normally post reviews , but after reading the bad one posted here , I wonder. If this guy was in the right place,.
We are here now. Fabulous place . Clean and well run, food great room is super fresh and new looking . The walk up to the village is 10 mins, lot of steps . Hey get overly it! Walk off your dinner . Not so much to do around this area. But suited us for Great break. Staff are great in all of this Hotel. The road to the hotel is not great . Hey. It is Greece. We found it safe ,clean, friendly . Would recommend it to anyone
Tony. C

• Stayed June 2013
Skopje, Republic of Macedonia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

Don't hesitate to book this hotel. It has great value for the money. The rooms are renovated and cleaned every day. The food is amazing, it has a variety of cuisines - Mediterranean, traditional and international. There is always some specialty served for dinner by the Chef of kitchen that adds an additional warmness and elegance to this hotel.The personnel is always at your service, very friendly yet highly professional and well trained. I am traveling in Greek hotels for more than 20 years and this is the only hotel that fulfilled my expectations - cozy and quiet environment, clean rooms equipped with all the necessary stuff(including free WI-FI), parking space, excellent cuisine, friendly personal, great beach and spa.

Room Tip: If you can afford it, choose a room with sea view, because it is breathtaking.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

We came for a quiet weekend and we really loved the amazing environment, the friendly service and the perfect location of the hotel. In particular, the amenities (pool, gym, breakfast) are very good and the room itself was faultless. After booking the room I contacted the hotel via email to arrange an early check in and they went out of their way to be helpful. I would stay at this hotel in any world city. Great value for money and exceptional service.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Barnsley, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

Anyone looking at the afitis hotel site should seriously consider reading previous customer comments and view room photographs on trip adviser. The hotel and its amenities are tired if not exhausted. The views presented are true but the pool area is in much need of a revamp, chipped/broken tiles etc.
Road access leaves a lot to be desired and a car is necessary. The short uphill walk to the village and return is not for the faint hearted and should not be attempted in the dark., it is hazardous. I initially booked this hotel and having read comments posted on trip adviser cancelled within 24hrs. Unfortunately my deposit could only be transferred to another hotel in the region but i was still determined to check out the above as I found it hard to believe the comments made. My wife suggested we asked to view a room, I suggested I had seen enough from the approach and outside that there was nothing to be gained from viewing a room and we left, relieved that we had made the correct choice..

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Afitis Boutique Hotel? Share your experiences!