“Fantastic hotel and perfectly situated” 5 of 5 stars

Bella Venezia Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   4 N. Zambeli str., Corfu Town 49100, Greece   |
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Corfu Town
North London England
“Fantastic hotel and perfectly situated”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

Spent two weeks here in September and it was perfect choice. Agree with all the recent reviews and must praise the friendliness of Marilena, Spiros and the team. Nothing was too much trouble for them and they made us feel part of the family.We absolutely loved Corfu town and this hotel. The many ( Greek ) people we spoke to on our travels around the area covered by the blue bus line knew of the hotel and all said it was lovely. Please note hotel provides beach towels ( they don't mention it in their info but if you know you have more room in your case for more interesting items )

Room Tip: We were on the first floor , at the back over looking the garden and it was very quiet. All the room...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
  • Greek first
Paris, Ile-de-France, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

I could point out the highly qualitative comfort of the Bella Venezia's bedrooms.
I could focus on every single detail that makes this hotel so special, from the fragrant smell towels to the tasty breakfasts served in the private garden courtyard, while swallows are flying over the wisteria arbor.
I could describe the feeling you get when relaxing in the smooth couches of the English style lounge.
I could also confirm how perfect the location is, just a few meters far from very good restaurants in the most charming alleys of the old city.

But what I really wish to say is the emotion I have, when remembering how the hotel team made me feel home, every minute I spent with them.

I will never forget the communicative, friendly energy and sensitiveness of Spiros, without mentioning the unique, delicious and refreshing welcome drink of his own.
I will certainly do my best to have home-made 'frappé metrio mè gala' as addictive as all those I enjoyed every morning, following the example and advice I was given.
I will for sure, miss Marilena and Costandina's lively presence and lovely smile, each time I shared with them the exciting experiences I had, visiting outstanding spots or finding out local specialities in Corfu.
And I will keep wondering who, between Jonathan and I, was the most looking after the other, knowing that I could not compete with his natural kindness.

As a matter of fact, I will have to struggle not to get overwhelmed by the sadness of having left, when I would have clearly preferred to stay with them much more than I did.

Hopefully, I will find a way to come back there, the sooner the better.

Lawrence Durrell and Henry Miller were the first to warn us: when you come to Corfu you reconcile with yourself. Now, let me add that staying at Bella Venezia is an exquisite way to make this true experience real. Just tell the people you love: they will know you do care for them.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

This was a perfectly situated hotel for exploring the old town and wandering down to Mon Repos and Kanoni. The bus station is also nearby for trips to Achillion.

The staff were friendly and the garden a lovely place for breakfast each morning

London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

My boyfriend and I made this hotel our base for a week on Corfu. It was a great choice, because of its excellent location and even better customer service. The hotel is located on the edge of the Old Town, minutes from the Spianada and countless good restaurants, and an easy 10 minute walk from the bus station. The staff are without exception friendly and helpful, which we really appreciated. Just as an example of the service we received, on our first day I wanted to go to the beach, so the lady on reception recommended a beach, gave us a bus timetable to get there, and provided us with beach towels.

The rooms themselves are clean, and the contemporary furnishings are tasteful, though slightly at odds with the Venetian mansion the hotel is housed in. There is also a lovely courtyard which breakfast is served in every morning. I've read mixed reviews about the breakfast, but with all the cereal, greek yoghurt, fruit, cakes and olives on offer, we found it pretty great.

In general, this is a lovely, pretty good value hotel. I would say you need to know what you're getting into, though. What I mean is, this is a small, boutique hotel. So expect ambience and charm, but no gym, swimming pool, special activities for kids, or giant fried breakfasts. You can find those at many large resort-style hotel outside Corfu Town. But I would definitely stick with Bella Venezia.

Bury St. Edmunds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

We stayed at the Bella Venezia for couple of nights, at the end of a walking tour of Corfu.
The hotel is converted from a restored neo-classical mansion and is ideally situated for exploring the Old Town. The rooms are comfortably furnished and well equipped.
There is a bar and comfortable lounge area as well as a garden where breakfast can be taken in the pavillion or on the terrace.
There are many excellent restaurants within close walking distance of the hotel.
Reception staff were friendly and very helpful.

Room Tip: Avoid ground floor rooms
Alfriston, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

A lovely hotel where friendliness and good service was key. The rooms are spotless and nicely furnished. We were particularly pleased by how comfortable the beds were and how quiet the efficient air conditioning was in the room although the noisy road to the rear where motorbikes roar up the hill occasionally was an unavoidable pity but hey it's a town centre. Breakfast was a treat once you learnt what to have and what not to e.g. pastries were usually poor whilst fresh fruit was fabulous. The courtyard setting for the breakfast was always a treat with the tables set out beautifully too. The staff are so nice - I wish I had the names of the Chambermaids to mention because they were always so lovely and dedicated. All the staff were great but we particularly noticed Constantina on reception who we named the Queen of restaurant recommendations as she always got it spot on. Spiros appeared to be there all the time and was always running around making you welcome in whatever he did. Will definitely go back.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Sydney
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

Have you ever stayed at a property that you so wanted to give a better rating to ?

For me, this is such a property. It has a lot going for it, but there were a few too many little things that just didn't work that prevented me from lifting the rating higher.

Firstly, the staff. They were just so friendly and helpful - nothing was a problem and they were just so forthcoming with their ideas and suggestions. The location - just great, in terms of proximity to Old Corfu town. If you have a car, as we did, parking can be a challenge. Fortunately, we found one just outside the hotel, but it was just luck. You could easily have been forced to go some distance in search of that illusive park.

Here comes the but.... Our room was very small - same with the bathroom. Our beds were very hard, great if you like hard beds, but for us it provided a disturbed rest (or lack of it). The breakfast, which was served in a very pleasant garden was very average. What was wrong with it - basically lack of variety and offered limited choice. The staff there were like those elsewhere in the hotel - very obliging.

The final test was the price value equation. Now I will be the first to admit that Corfu in September attracts a premium relative to mainland (and provincial) Greece, but we looked at the price (135 Euros) , which was almost double what we had been paying for similar 3 star hotel accommodation in a number of other cities and felt that we had received below average price value.

No matter how much we wished we could upgrade our rating of the Bella Vista we struggled to find a reason why it should be rated much above "average" or "average plus", particularly when we bench marked it against other properties (some in other equally popular "tourist" destinations, we stayed at during our 3 weeks in Greece. Would our view have changed if the price was materially lower and the bed that much softer - quite possibly.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Bella Venezia Hotel? Share your experiences!