“Hotel ok, hospitability so, so” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Sofia Village

Save Saved
You added Sofia Village to your Saves list
Sofia Village
1.0 of 5 Hotel   |   outskirts of Mykonos town (400m. from the town) | School Of Fine Arts area, Mykonos Town 84600, Greece   |
Ranked #56 of 86 hotels in Mykonos Town
London, United Kingdom
“Hotel ok, hospitability so, so”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2010

I have mixed feelings about this hotel, some bits were quite good others not so good.

Sophia & Panos came to pick up us at the port (we didn´t expect it as we didn´t even have told them the time of our arrival). I really appreciate this because we couldn´t find a decent map of Mykonos and I think we would have struggled to find the place on our own.
On the way to the hotel, Panos explained us where the bus stops where, the Starbucks, how to get from the hotel to the town... really useful as it is very easy to get lost in the little streets of Mykonos. He also said to speak to George if we had more questions.

We could chose between two rooms, rooms were ok with air conditioning and fridge, baths were a bit old.

We didn´t find George or Sophia friendly. George seemed to be in another world, and would often reply to our questions with yes/no answers. He didn´t seem to care much, first we thought he had a hangover, but he always treated us like that. That said, we saw other customers taking pictures with him and kissing him goodbye so our conclussion was that he got on well with the people who stayed in the swimming pool buying cocktails (thing we didn´t do).

Sophia´s English was not very good, it was difficult to understand her. Now the last day she asked us 3 times whether we had paid (she knew how to ask that) while were waiting for someone to take us to the airport. George had told us that they would take us but didn´t confirm the time, so we didn´t know if we were going to need a taxi or not. After 30 minutes waiting they took us but it gave me the impression that they were disorganised.

Hotel is up a hill, 5 or 10 minutes walk from town. It is ok if you are not carrying luggage, or in high heels.

Our room was quiet.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

125 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Greek first
san francisco
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2010

The hotel is on a hill which I don't mind. But I will stay closer to center of town if I come back. I don't mind the walking but I hate the scooter noise which you will hear a lot more outside downtown. There is a small convenient store nearby. My room has AC and a small fridge.

Free transfer from port and again to airport. (I think most hotels offer this service)

When I was trying to find my way back to this hotel at night (which may not be easy), I could hear music playing on the street. I was wondering what kind of place was the music coming from. It turns out it was from my own hotel (pool bar). Fortunately, after I got inside my room, I didn't hear the music anymore.

Has free wifi (lobby only). Not bad value.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2010

Great place, good value for money, great pool, great location, George behind the bar rocks, the walk up the hill is a killer (so get yourself a bike / car).

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
Barcelona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2010

We staied at Sofia Village for 1 week and it was absoluty perfect. The hotel is very nice but the best one is the staff. George, the guy of the pool bar, is the most lovely person in Greece. We want to thank him for all his help and we hope to come back soon to Mykonos and Sofia Village to see him.
We adsolutly recommend you this hotel.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
denver CO
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2010

despite the financial crisis, greece is not cheap, especially mykonos. we opted to spend less in mykonos and decided to stay at sofia village. it's a family-run affair, and sofia (the queen bee) and her family actually live on site. panos (her son) picked us up at the port and gave a short tour of the city. he let us know that george (he tends bar at the pool) would take care of us.

our room was quite spacious (two bedrooms and four beds) for the two of us. it was simple and clean. despite the fact that a small army of students from cyprus were staying there at the same time to celebrate graduation from university, the evenings were quiet, and we had no trouble sleeping. we opted not to eat breakfast (for five euro, one gets a grilled ham-and-cheese and a frappuccino-like beverage made by george) and bought food from a local market.

sofia village is on a hill, so the walk to the center of mykonos (400 meters) can be challenging for some. all in all, it was an OK stay for those on a budget. my only gripe was that george was not that useful. his english is not great, and his favorite answer would be, "in a minute", which became an hour or more...ah, island life!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2010

We stayed at Sofia's last year Aug/Sept 2009. Sofia is quite a character and we enjoyed her company. Yes she's direct, but thats just her way. George makes the best cocktails in Europe and we met many people whose compay we also enjoyed around his bar. We'd go back there no probs. The rooms were clean and comfortable. Need quite some energy to get up the hill from Mykonos town after many cocktails though.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Cypress, Orange County, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2009

The hotels is nice, the rooms are not to small it was a decent size with a frig and micro. Just like everyone else said the pools is amazing we used it everyday after baking in the sun all day at paradise beach. The breakfast is really not a breakfast at all Sofia will get it for you herself which is just breach, coffee and orange juice that is it. I was really surpried that is for sure but if you are actually up for breakfast. i would not worry to much because there is a starbuck right up the street going down to the road that goes to paradise and the center. Just so you know the island is super windy and someone at night you can hear the wind blowing. Lot of parking for scooters or quads. I totally didnt run into any problems with Sofia when i was there as a matter of fact she brought out fresh honey covered doughnut holes to us that were so yummy. Her son on the other hand was kind of a pill. He was rude to us on the phone went we call to make our reservation so we used another site to book it. My Fiancè asked if he could open a bottle of wine for us and he did with a sour look on this face and told us that we could not drink it by the pool or anywhere only our room. I can understand why he didnt want us to drink it there but he didnt have to be mean about it. It was a good stay....don't expect alot and you are fine. Sofia is nice but remember she is running a business and she actually lives on the property so loud noise people looking to keep everyone up all hours of the night i dont think this is the place for you.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Sofia Village? Share your experiences!