“Great Location, Beautiful View, Friendly Service” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel Gorgona
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Tagoo, Mykonos Town 84600, Greece   |
Ranked #42 of 82 Hotels in Mykonos Town
Los Angeles, California
“Great Location, Beautiful View, Friendly Service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2010

The hotel is family owned and run, and were super friendly. The wife gave my boyfriend and I the option of choosing rooms. We ended up choosing the one with the bigger balcony. Every hotel has a view of the ocean, facing west, so you can experience the sunset every night. Breakfast was served every morning, which was the typical Greek breakfast. Eggs, sausages, croissants, pastries and fruit.

The location is pretty central to attractions, 5 minute drive from the port and a 10 minute walk into town. When we arrived at the hotel the wife suggested we get an atv to explore the island, which was sound advice. We rented the atv for a day and which made the trip into town that much quicker and we went to the famous beaches on the other side of the island with ease.

The rooms were a little small, but that's the case for Europe, and the bathroom was a little tight as well. The room also comes with a safe and refrigerator. Bed is firmer than what I'm used to, but again, that's all of Europe.

Overall, a great hotel, prime location, and great service.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2010

Travelled back to the Gorgona after 4 years and was not disappointed.
Joanna and her family have fully renovated the hotel and it has really paid off.
Crisp, clean whites in the rooms. Beautiful new bathrooms and fittings. None of the charm has been lost though.
Firstly, our plane into Mykonos was very late, but her son was still there waiting to pick us up. I had requested a specific room and Joanna had accomodated for this!
The new breakfast room is great and has a wonderful selection for the buffet breakfast - cereal, yoghurt, cheese, meats, eggs, breads, sausages - amazing!
The pool and the view are still fantastic and in great condition and they still make great drinks at the pool bar.
Friends who met up with us in Mykonos were very jealous they weren't staying with us.

Yes - its up a slight hill about 800m out of town, but that makes it quiet enough to be out of the hustle and bustle, but close enough to be there when you want to (and besides - it's only 2 mins on a quadbike!). It's also away from the Bus Station where the young, rowdy kids all hang out (and the most over-priced shops are).

Rooms are bright and spacious and cleaned every day. Security is good - new security shutters and windows in all rooms so you can still get a breeze through and have the windows locked!

When I think of Mykonos - the only place i want to stay is the Gorgona!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
Miami Beach, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2010

I had booked/confirmed a room at a 4 star hotel in town through Travel Zone-Greece (beware) for 1 week. 2 days later I was notified they were over booked. With 1 day notice, Travel Zone-Greece gave me 2 other options. I choose the Hotel Gorgona. With limited internet access, I did not receive confirmation until the following morning (the day of the reservation). I was unable to catch the 1 boat leaving from Santorini for Mykonos at 11:00am with such short notice.

When I arrived at the hotel following day hotel I found it was a 20 minute walk to town, not 10 which they advertise. My room was located next to the laundry room and housekeeping staff. I had to pay extra for internet, 20 Euro for 5 hours access. Each time using at least 20 letters and numbers to signed on and it never worked. I spent several hours going back and forth to the front desk trying to get access. In the room, the shower leaked and closet door was broken, 3 light bulbs were out and there was peeling paint on the walls and ceiling. I was not happy.

I expressed my complaints to the staff (I later found were the owners). They were rude and ultimately stated " they did not care and leave if i wanted". It was dark and I was unfamiliar with the island so I stayed the night. In the morning, I attempted to pay for the night I stayed, which I was denied. I requested a statement that I only stayed at the hotel for one night. THEY REFUSED!. I stood at the front desk for 3 hours on the phone with TRAVEL ZONE-GREECE, the local booking company MATT HOLIDAY'S and THE HOTEL GORGONA OWNERS all stating there was nothing they could do.They were sending me in a circle. I finally gave up and exited. They charged my credit card $763.00.
Shame on them all, especially the on site owners!!!. Please feel free to contact me for any questions

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2010

I've stayed at the Gorgona several times now. I first booked here with the gay firm Respect before that went bust. Having not been to Mykonos in 4 years and wanting a relaxing week away with my other half, I scoured to find a deal that would get me to Mykonos and the Gorgona with it's fabulous pool, friendly welcome, views across the bay and out to Delos and Tinos and the ever blue Aegean melting into the distance. I was a little bit nervous booking independently, however, the welcome we got was as warm as ever and everything almost as I remembered it. The main difference being that the hotel had a makeover last year so there is now double glazing to combat the Cycladic wind, keep out some of the noise and help make the air con work better. The breakfast area has been modernised to be self service and much more light and airy.

The Gorgona may not be the most luxurious or expensive hotel in Mykonos but unless you're high maintenance it offers everything you need for a great holiday. Comfortable, clean rooms, great pool, fantastic views and friendly staff, close enough to town to be a 10 min walk but far enough to feel like you're away from all the crowds.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Wellington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2010

For me being just out of town was fine. Rooms not super large but well appointed. I really liked it here and good service, big pool and comfortable beds would see me coming back

• Stayed May 2010
Brooklyn, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Hotel Gorgona in Mykonos on our honeymoon and we had a fabulous time! The hotel was very clean and the staff was extremely friendly. It is a family owned facility, so dont expect luxurious rooms and service. It was perfect for us. We had a room with a balcony which faced the ocean and we had views of the gorgeous sunset every evening. The pool area is just breath taking, also facing the ocean with excellent views. The complementary breakfast was just enough to hold you off until lunch time. With coffee, juice, bread, cold cuts, and yogurt.
We stayed in Mykonos for 4 days and had a great time. The staff was very helpful in letting us know where the hot spots were to hang out, and which beaches were the best ones. The hotel is located about one mile north of the center of town, which is perfect because of the noise (Mykonos is a bit of a party city). We rented a moped (which I highly recommend) and got to see the entire island in the 4 days. We hit up almost every beach and got to see the country side as well.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Chicago, il
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2009

The stay here was good! They picked us up at the ferry on time and they I've a big bus which was great for the luggage! Very friendly family owned hotel. It was the perfect distance from the center of town only about a 10 min walk. The only thing that I disliked was that there was no fulltime restaurant/ food area Except in the morning there where u could get a fresh cup of coffee. Other times they will give u instant coffee and charge u three euros for it so totally not worth it! Bring ur own toiletries bc they really don't give u any.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel Gorgona? Share your experiences!