“Authentic, family run Greek restaurant” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Greek
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Omaha, Nebraska
“Authentic, family run Greek restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

We stumbled upon this place right off the main strip. The owner and her daughter run the place. We had a Greek salad and the meatballs. Food was good and the price was reasonable. Just seemed like we were avoiding the tourist traps a few blocks away. When we went to the restrooms (which were very clean), we could see them preparing the food freshly, to order.

• Visited July 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

• Greek first
bromsgrove
“Reasonable basic,good value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

Has you enter the pedestrian zone from the new harbour side you will see the sign pointing you to the Taverna on your left hand side straight after walking passed the beach to your right.

Apparently has been there from 1975....good basic food at reasonable prices.

• Visited July 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Toronto
“Home-cooked Greek food in a quiet courtyard setting”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012

I have been to Mykonos 8 times, but had never eaten at Maria's until last month when the restaurant was recommended to me by Anna, the manager of Hotel Tagoo, when I asked for suggestions for a "cheap 'n' cheerful" Greek taverna in Mykonos Town. I liked Maria's the second I saw the charming taverna, tucked into a quiet courtyard at the end of a street behind the Hondos Center, just a short walk from the hustle & bustle of Taxi Square and the Mykonos harbourside. Maria's restaurant was an oasis of calm compared to the tourist-packed streets elsewhere in Mykonos Town, and a table in the shade at the side of the courtyard proved to be the perfect spot for me to relax and enjoy some peace and quiet after an afternoon wandering around the town. I only wanted a snack, so all I ordered was a tall frosty Mythos beer, a Greek salad and grilled bread. But my lunch was refreshing and I really enjoyed the large salad with its fresh, crunchy vegetables topped with a big chunk of rich, smooth feta. I went back for a dinner the next night and sat at another outdoor table. Maria, who is in her late 70s, waved to me from the restaurant door, and her son came out to take my order. He said Maria told him I'd been there for a salad just the day before and had promised to come back, so she was happy to see me return for dinner. I told Maria's son that I didn't feel like eating meat or fish, but wanted a Greek dish that would be satisfying, filling, and would taste really good. He recommended the stuffed tomatoes and peppers, so I ordered that as well as a Greek salad and wine. The peppers and tomatoes were delicious, as promised, and the salad was just as good as the first one I had. I recommended Maria's to other people at the hotel; a group went there for dinner and came back to say they had enjoyed the moussaka, meatballs and pizzas they had ordered. In view of the good service, great food, and the pleasant atmosphere of the quiet courtyard setting, you can bet I'll be going back for another meal at Maria's next time I'm on Mykonos.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Bedford, United Kingdom
“Traditional Greek”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

Only a few yards away from the busy area, it is a quiet and tranquil spot and probably the nearest thing to a traditional Greek taverna in Mykonos Town. The cooking is excellent and the portions generous.
A full range of traditional Greek dishes were on offer. If you want to eat genuine Greek food on Mykonos, then this is best you will do (unless you bring your own Greek grandmother)
The prices were reasonable for Mykonos

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Wales
“The Hidden gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2012

Well we found this by chance last May(see my review May 11. And this time we knew how to find it.It did not disappoint,sometimes one should never go to the same place a year later as you could be disappointed,but no it was just the same,the waiter(did not know his name)remebered me from last year,which was a nice thing,I must have been trouble the last time(only Joking Honest )
Anyway it is a real find in Mykonos not over priced like some I could mention.
The food is very good,tasty and we ate there Two days running(We only had two days on Mykonos,which was enough for us,too many people off the cruise shops for my liking,but that is enother matter.
I cannot rate this restaurant more highly,it is a bit off the beaten track but,boy it is worth it an oasis in the busy busy town.
To get to it you have to walk the length of the harbour almost to the end,just pass the little beach and you see an allyway and you will see the sign "Marias Restaurant" walk up and it in front a real Greek Restaurant with so much charm and a welcome from all.
Don't just take my word,GO AND TRY.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere