“Brill week” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Gran Hotel Bahia del Duque Resort

You added Gran Hotel Bahia del Duque Resort to your Saves list
Gran Hotel Bahia del Duque Resort
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   Avenida Bruselas s/n, 38670 Costa Adeje, Tenerife, Spain   |
Ranked #8 of 40 Hotels in Costa Adeje
Galway, Ireland
“Brill week”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

Had a brilliant stay. Hotel was more than i expected. Gasped when the bus pulled up outside. Could not have expected more. 100% will be back to stay again. Pools were very clean and comfortable, not too crowded. We stayed B&B, the breakfast catered for everyones need. Make sure and book in for a massage in the spa, well worth it.

Room Tip: Pool and sea view a must
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (222)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
Manchester
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

In a way, it was like coming home having visited once before a few years ago. Reception was just the same and very friendly with the offer of a glass of chilled cava while we waited to be processed. I had sent an email ahead of our arrival and Noelia, at reception, called it up and listed our wishes and then detailed how the hotel had responded to them - very impressive! The room was bigger than our previous one, this time on the fifth floor just round the corner from Reception and overlooking the piazza opposite the Brasserie restaurant, and over the pools to the sea beyond. New flatscreen television on the wall, sofa, table and a welcome plate of macaroons which was a nice touch. The bathroom is a little cramped but at least has a separate shower and high quality soaps and lotions. We were well pleased.

Dining
We were half-board so dined around all week. First night was the Hacienda which is a more casual restaurant with terrific staff and a good menu. Calamari followed by confit duck, then chocolate brownie with hot fudge sauce, to share, far too much for one!

Breakfast is buffet style in the Bernegal Restaurant, and it has lots to offer including cava or red wine, pastries, hot food, cold food, a chocolate fountain (at breakfast, really?!). A white chocolate fountain was added towards the end of the week too! I usually eat smoked salmon and eggs for breakfast on holiday, and so I did here, but the lady egg chefs were rude and reluctant to make scambled eggs because, they indicated, we should use the pan of scrambled eggs round the corner. These pans of scrambled eggs are never worth eating for a variety of reasons- too runny, too hard, been picked over, just not appetising. The male egg chefs, on the other hand, were delighted to fulfil the order with charm and panache! Similarly, the lady who cut the fruit on the fruit counter, rolled her eyes and sighed when a request was made for a kiwi with it's skin on. Not difficult! When the male chef was on duty he got me two nectarines, apologised that they were the best he could find, then washed them and handed them to me with a smile. Ladies, take note! The introduction of fresh orange juice machines and Nespresso coffee was really good!

The Brasserie was generally fine except on one night when they said they had held a particular table for a regular couple so we couldn't sit there, only to be told half way through the meal that WE were that couple! Laugh? I nearly spilt my gin and tonic, priced at £13! And which appears on the bill separately for gin and then tonic! Curious. Creme brulee is always good at La Brasserie, except when they forget the brulee bit! it was still delicious though. Sole Muerniere also delicious as were the prawn starters. Less good was the absence of much in the way of vegetables. The mush of sliced carrots and onions masquerading as 'julliene' was simply lazy cooking, in my opinion.

La Tasca was a hoot too. I ordered a starter which said something about eggs and potatoes with prawns. The waiter brought it, and it was 2 fried eggs, covered in fries with a few bits of prawn dotted about. Much to my surprise and amusement, he then proceeded to attack it with a knife and fork until he had pretty much destroyed it. He then handed it to be with a smile saying 'Bon appetito!' It was delicious, but so reminded me of when I was 7 and had egg and chips at my friends house. The lamb shank which follwed was unfortunately well overcooked and much was left uneaten, it was solid.

La Trattoria was next with the surliest waitress in the resort. The first time we ate there, she was simply offhand. The second time she was downright rude and kept us standing waiting for a table, of which there were plenty, and we had booked, and, to add insult to injury instructed her colleague to ignore us as well. (Need to note that there are three entrances to La Trattoria and I think she was trying to making a point). Being an Italian restaurant, you would think they could make Lasagne - they can't. It came as a Bolognese sauce and Bechemel sauce in the plate with pasta slices with tomato sauce in between sitting in it. Unlike any Lasagne I have seen or eaten, anywhere.

Pools
Where's the fountain gone I didn't ask until day3! But the water was cold and salty which I didn't mind but it did chiil on first entering the pool. That's when we weren't being splashed by young kids - I know, don't sit next to the pool! But they were everywhere, and UK school hadn't broken up, but clearly others had! On little angel climbed out of the pool and blew her nose on my partners towel much to the embarrassment of her mother - who did nothing to stop her! I note on another review the manager suggests that there are 'adult areas' and mentions the Moet section - this has about 8 loungers only and is opposite the pool bar kithchens and is very noisy and smelly. There are pools specifically for children up the hill with plenty of room, but I cannot deny, if I were a child, I would want to play in the big pool! Cool fruit at 11.30 on the dot was welcome. But where were the lifeguards around this very large amorphous pool? Answer there are none. given the number of (small) children, and the not so small, diving and bombing off the rocks, this is someone's tragedy in the making.

Gym
Early morning workouts were great, if a little lonely since I was the only one there most mornings but I either let myself in, turned on the lights, got my own towel, helped myself to water and fruit, said hola to the cleaner when she turned up, then left it as I had found it an hour later. Never saw a member of staff in there the whole ten days, either in the early morning, or during the day, as we passed on our way to the pool or room.

I think we had a good holiday, but not a great one, because of some of the issues above. Probably wouldn't return because of them. But the hotel is spectacular and its location is good, being within walking distance of shops, restaurants, bars and the beach.

Room Tip: Ask for one with a sea view although you'll pay extra for it. Note too that the hotel is on a hi...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Preston, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

Just returned from 2 weeks at this lovely hotel. This is the fourth visit and yet again the menus had been revised and refreshed. On this visit I particularly enjoyed the addition of the new wine bar located around the central square. Extensive wine list and tapas available to enjoy early evening until midnight. The Asian, Spanish and French restaurants were really tip top!
In July there is live music by the lower pool and this is always pleasant. Can't fault the service and food quality at this hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014 via mobile

Really enjoyed our week. Our first visit but we will return. The size of the site means there are plenty of places to go. Pools were all excellent - some heated, some sea water.

Breakfast buffet had something for everyone.

Room quite small with an additional bed for our 7 year old, but it was lovely that she was treated as a proper guest - her own towels, bath robe, slippers etc. Made her feel really special

Service was thoroughly excellent. Friendly, helpful and thoughtful. Kids club was simply fab - she had a lovely time and was so well looked after. They were very happy for her to drop in and out and cherry pick activities as she wanted. The rest of the time we all just relaxed together.

Many thanks for a lovely stay

• Stayed July 2014
Milan, Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

A great hotel/resort with fantastic range of restaurants and good helpful and friendly staff. A most enjoyable family holiday and looking forward to the next time. I originally used the hotel for a conference several years ago and it was very good then. It was great to find out it still retained that special quality and now with added Spa facilities.

Room Tip: As the hotel is not a standard single building, it's made up of several quaint buildings with a...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
GHBDR, Gerente at Gran Hotel Bahia del Duque Resort, responded to this review, July 14, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing the Gran Hotel Bahía del Duque Resort to enjoy your holidays.

We appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the Gran Hotel Bahía Del Duque Resort. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

We look forward to welcoming you in the future.

Basel, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

We re-visited Tenerife for 1 week 24th June to 1st July after some 12 years.....and I had always wanted to stay at this resort hotel.......it was absolutely fantastic!! The hotel staff were exceptionally attentive and nothing was too much trouble - the buffet breakfast was superb - tremendous variety - even a chocolate fountain if you so desired!!
There was a variety of pool areas with plenty of comfortable beds and towels and umbrellas.
We enjoyed cocktails over looking the sea and Walter the bartender was excellent.
The rooms were clean, spacious and well attended - we had adjoining rooms and it felt like a little apartment.
The reception drinks party was delightful - plenty of bubbly and canapes...always a winner - the staff made lots of effort to come and speak to every guest - and Erwin was really helpful with suggestions for night life et.
I am so glad we made it back to Tenerife and will return again - it really was top notch!

Room Tip: We were on floor 5 and it was easy to access the reception - there is a lift down to 3rd floor for r...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

We kindly would like to thank you for choosing the Gran Hotel Bahía del Duque Resort to enjoy your holidays.

As well, we wish to thank you for taking the time to fill in our satisfaction survey. We are delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay with us. It is always our goal to make sure each and every guest has a memorable stay with us.

We sincerely hope we can exceed you expectations even more on your next visit to Gran Hotel Bahía del Duque Resort.

UK
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2014

Having stayed here a few years ago we decided to give it another try as we like the location of the hotel and had a good time. To be honest I wish we hadn't.

We knew what to expect re the layout and amenities of the hotel. Yes the rooms and balconies are smaller than most but we knew this so weren't overly disappointed. The hotel also accommodated our requests to give us a decent sea view room (which we had paid extra for).

The big disappointment however is the lack of service around the resort which frankly is below par for 5 star even for Tenerife.

A few examples:

- asking the female egg chef for scrambled eggs. She said no on 3 separate days and said they were already out on the buffet ready made. True they were, but they were also cold and runny which I did not want. Every other 5* hotel makes fresh scrambled eggs at the egg station. ( the male egg chef however was happy to make them)
- the fruit counter where I asked the lady if they had any kiwis as none were out. She rolled her eyes and walked off, then said she didn't understand. I had to ask someone else who eventually managed to get me one.
- the stroppy waitress in the Italian restaurant who simply chose to ignore us and told another waiter to do as well whilst we waited to be seated. She actually walked past us twice and started clearing tables before she acknowledged us. Just rude.
- breakfast is pretty much self service. The waiters prefer to entertain kids and chat to each other rather than clear plates away, replace cutlery or get you coffee. The good news is cutlery and nespresso machines are all easily accessible so you don't actually need the waiters. Who knows, maybe they can be done away with completely ??
- the small free water in our room and toiletries were replaced once in a week. We had to ring every day to request it.
- wifi is free but beyond dreadful. Incredibly slow

Whilst the above are 'niggles' that don't spoil a holiday in itself, when they happen day in day out for 7 days when you've paid handsomely to stay here, it makes you feel a bit ripped off.

In addition to the above, it is pretty much impossible to have a decent meal in any of the restaurants without the kids club entertainment disrupting your meal. It starts at 9pm sharp every night and only hacienda and las Aguas aren't affected. There really should be a separate area away from the main restaurants. There is really nowhere to escape other peoples children.

Finally, whilst not the hotels fault, a good proportion of the guests leave a lot to be desired. Being woken up at 1am by banging, tv, squealing and music is not my idea of a relaxing stay. If I wanted this I would have stayed in las Americas. The sound quality insulation is non existent, you hear every noise and voice as it walks down the corridor. I could also tell you the language spoken by all my neighbours as I could hear so clearly through the walls.

In summary, if you have small kids, I'm sure you'll be better catered for as this is clearly the target audience. If not, please avoid as you'll only regret it.

Stayed June 2014
Dear Client,

First of all, thank you for taking the time and the trouble to post your review on TripAdvisor.

We are truly committed to providing our clients with the highest level of accommodations and service and we regret to learn that this may not have been the case during your stay. We can assure that your comments have been taken seriously and will be analyzed in detail to take the appropriate actions.

The Gran Hotel Bahía del Duque Resort is a family Hotel, where only adults areas are also offered: Spa, Moët & Chandon area, restaurant Las Aguas,…

For a future stay, we would be so pleased to inform you about the most quiet periods in the Resort. We stay at your disposal at gm@bahia-duque.com.

Looking forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Hotel Management

Been to Gran Hotel Bahia del Duque Resort? Share your experiences!