“Never Again” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Meson El Torito

Meson El Torito
Urb. El Beril, Res. Mango | Frente al Hotel Riu Arecas, 38670 Costa Adeje, Tenerife, Spain
+34 922715566
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with
Meson El Torito is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #40 of 64 restaurants in Costa Adeje
Cuisines: Spanish, Grill, Winery
Good for: Doing business, Special occasions
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Description: With Mesón El Torito, “Restuarantes de Adeje” establishes itself in the world of Canarian catering with a top level establishment dedicated to the Spanish cuisine. An establishment where quality is palpable and exquisite in every detail and in every corner.One of the best wine cellars in Tenerife with more than 200 references from the Canary Islands, Spain and around the world. A wide choice of Spanish dishes to satisfy the most discerning palates. The essence of traditional Castile with the emphasis on addressing the smallest detail for the benefit of your satisfaction.
Cork
“Never Again”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2012

Normally I wouldn't be hugely critical on a one off visit but I wrote offering an opportunity for explanation but received no reply.
It was equals the worst ever and certainly the 'food' put in front of 2 widely travelled children was easily the worst looking and tasting dish I had ever seen---Oliver Twist style gruel.

• Visited January 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
RestaurantesdeAdeje, Director Comercial at Meson El Torito, responded to this review, May 10, 2012
Dear Sir

We have not received a letter or any other complaint for that matter from you.
Our contact details are provided on TripAdvisor and our Website.
Please note that TripAdvisor is not means of direct contact but a website where guests may leave their reviews for others to see.
I have no doubt that if we had received a letter, email or call from you we would have replied straight away.
We pride ourselves in the quality of our food and service so are sorry you’re widely travelled children did not enjoy their meal or that it was so bad you have had to compare it to Oliver Twist. As a renowned restaurant in the South of Tenerife for many years among holiday makers and residents alike, we have always maintained a great reputation for our dishes, so such criticism does come as a surprise. However if you would like to write us a letter detailing your dissatisfaction we will get back to you.

Kind regards,

Mesón El Torito

69% Recommend
UK
“Quality food but maybe lacking in ambience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2012

My wife and I enjoyed a lovely dinner here, I had octopus to start followed by local fish in garlic, my better half enjoyed a really well cooked rare fillet steak "poco hecho" and the canarian potatoes were perfect, dry salty very hot and fresh, often in the canaries this isnt the case, when they seem to be cooked en mass, our spuds were divine!

If you are staying in the la caleta area and fancy walking out for dinner then you will be pleased with the grub, however the large restaurant without lots of custom on a Wednesday night in January may have been the cause of it feeling a little empty/quiet. Service was fine meat and fish good, price acceptable.

• Visited February 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Northumberland
“Over priced and mediocre food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2011

We have eated here on a previous holiday but this time the food seems to have detiorated. We wanted lamb but they had run out so we were offered roast piglet which was swimming in grease. We did have starters which were substantial and we couldn't finish them but neither of wish were wonderful - Padron peppers was one and mushrooms with fried parsley was the other. We didn't have dessert. The restaurant is out of the way. We wouldn't dine here again.

Visited November 2011
Plymouth
“Not as great as it used to be”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2011

We have visited this restaurant a number of times over the last few years whilst on holiday in Tenerife and were looking forward to eating there on this holiday. Sadly, we were rather disappointed and felt that both the quality of the food and the service had dropped. We always had very much enjoyed the roast suckling pig but they had run out so we had to reselect our choices. My husband's pasta was rather bland and I chose the sweet and sour pork which was presented to me without any rice or vegetables. Well, I am a confirmed carnivore, but to simply be given a big plate of meat with no side dishes was rather off putting. Perhaps I should have ordered side dishes but surely the waiter should have pointed that out to me?
All in all we were disappointed and will not be visiting this restaurant again.

• Visited November 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Bologna, Italy
“Amazing!! Incredible!! Perfect Restaurant!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2011

We visited El Torito in Tenerife yesterday and I can't begin to tell you how impressed I was. We (an American woman and an English man) were visiting with two friends from Tenerife and they took us here for lunch. Everything was incredible. The ambience; the service; the wine; the food; the wonderful Spanish liquor at the end of the meal. We had a view of the beach. The restaurant was immaculate, spacious, and beautifully decorated. To start we had this fantastic cheese (I call it a spanish version of parmesan) and then this starter which is peppers fried (without pepper) and sprinkled with sea salt. I've never tried this and I'm so glad I did. It's now on my list of top 10 foods. The Spanish red wine was perfectly spiced with low acidity and seemed better aged than it's label read. Then onto this soup drizzled with just a bit of olive oil. It is now my second favorite soup, my parents' vegetable soup still being my number one. Next it was onto the scampi, which again WOW. We finished off with a cup of white coffee and a shot of a Spanish liquor that was a cross between a jaegermeister and a tuaca.

This style of restaurant is my favorite. You could entertain clients and it would make sense. You could go for a nice date with your spouse and it would make sense. You could bring your family and it would make sense. It's a good size restaurant but the way it's layed out- those that want to party and be a bit loud, could do so without affecting couples' time or a business meeting.

The service was impeccable and in my opinion a lot of restaurants could stand to learn a thing or two from this restaurant. Juan took very good care of us and I can't wait for the day I get the opportunity to return back to Tenerife even if only to repeat my dining experience.

Restaurants of this caliber are few and far between.

Thank you!