“Will definitely return and recommend” 4 of 5 stars

5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Avda. Bruselas s/n, 38660 Costa Adeje, Tenerife, Spain   |
Ranked #5 of 39 Hotels in Costa Adeje
GreenLeadersSilver level
Sheringham, United Kingdom
“Will definitely return and recommend”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2011

Having never visited Tenerife before, we were recommended to Costa Adeje by a number of friends who all raved about the this area. We always like to get a Sun break in Winter and this year (2011) decided to give it go.

We chose the El Mirador principally because it was a smaller Hotel than many of the other 5 stars around Costa Adeje and we were not disappointed. It has a large hotel feel, but with only 120 rooms and the biggest bonus for us - NO CHILDREN!!!

The spacious feel of the hotel extends to the suites, which are immacuately clean, well furnished and have a either a balcony or terrace with a sea view. The pool area is quiet, uncrowded, there are lots of sunbeds to choose from and you don't feel like you are sitting on top of anyone. In the week we were there the Hotel was full, but it didn't feel at all overcrowded.

Service and standards are excellent and the the staff /guest ratio is high.

There is one thing that lets this hotel down, however, and this is the food. I would describe it as variable. Breakfast is fine - great choice, lots of fresh fruit, a guy cooking eggs etc, all the usual stuff you would expect in a Hotel of this standard.

We ate lunch twice. The first time it was excellent, the second time we ordered exactly the same dishes and it was poor. My apple pie was still frozen in the middle and I had possibly the driest Pasta Bolognese I have ever tasted in my life.

Similarly, we ate Dinner in the buffet restaurant twice. Again, the first time it was excellent , the second time it was awful. I have never tasted duck or hake with absolutely no flavour. The desserts that evening were also tasteless. Perhaps Chef's night off? Other people were similarly unhappy - so not just us. Shame, because when it's good it's great.

Minor gripes - and more about me being fussy than anything else:
There is only 1 computer to access the internet for guests which always means a queue;
You are never quite sure whether you will get (obviously new) beautifully luxurious, fluffy towels in the bathroom or old, thin, boiled to death white ones;
We had to ask for the mini bar to be filled (water, tonic etc) on a couple of occasions.

However, I will return. We can always have Dinner out and there are some good Restaurants about within walking distance. (Don't eat at La Nonna - appalling!) The proximity to the beach, the surroundings and the 'boutique' hotel feel would all encourage me to return.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2011

Myself and my husband stayed at the El Mirador over the new year. Our last holiday before our 1st baby is due in May so we wanted abit of luxury and thats what we got with this hotel. I would say that it is one of the best hotels that we have stayed in, and we have stayed in some nice places.
The hotel feels very private but is central to resturants, bars and the beach , although we didnt go to the beach as the pool area was so nice.
We stayed on B&B basis and it was just perfect, everything you could want was available, including champange and caviar!
The room (more of a suite) was spectacular, with a balcony with sun loungers.
The hotel also has a spa and we both enjoyed our treatment there.
We would love to return back to this hotel but it maybe a few years before we do as its an adults only. Just perfect!

midlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2011

My husband and I have just returned from this hotel where we celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary. The Hotel was lovely and in a fab location, the staff were very helpful and polite and the rooms were lovely all though a bit cluttered. We had a lovely view of the sea from our balcony. On arrival in our room we found there to be no lock on the patio door, it had been broken. We called reception five times during the week, after 3 days the lock was finally mended with a screw and a flimsy hook which the cleaner broke again the very next day. On the fourth day [which just happened to be our silver wedding anniversary] we had rather a heated conversation with reception about not being able to lock the door, the receptionist told me not to worry as the hotel had security and that nothing is likely to happen. This made us very frustrated to say the least! We have stayed in some lovely hotels prior to this one and on special ocassions have alway had a little something ie flowers, cake or even just a little card in recognition of the celebration. This time we received no recognition what so ever; only a heated conversation about the lack of a lock to ensure the security of our belongings! I am wrong to think that a simple door lock is a fundamental expectation?.......... such a shame because the place was really lovely otherwise.

lancashire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2011

Stayed here last week with my partner.I stay in a lot of hotels due to business and leisure from Glen eagles to your basic bb.Found the rooms to be spacious and very clean. Not many hotels abroad offer suites, and these were better than Vegas.Loved the walk in wardrobe. Great double balcony.Fantastic breakfast and nice staff.Better than some 5* hotels in london by far.Will stay here again if visit tenerife.

Manchester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2011

El Mirador is a lovely hotel and I certainly anticipate returning at some point in the future. I thought the underground entrance was impressive although at times the taxis seemed to have problems when they met traffic coming through the single access point.

Reception was quite grand and always clean and tidy. Drinks were offered on arrival whilst checking in. I think that they need maybe more staff. Sometimes there was quite a queue waiting to be served which was sometimes a little irritating if you wanted to order a taxi to go out immediately and the staff were booking in new arrivals.

Off reception there is a “library” where you can access the internet. I think there should have more than one computer available, as we had to queue every time we wanted to use it. And when you are on the internet, you feel pressured to get off it as everyone is sitting on the settee next to the computer awaiting their turn.

We had a very spacious room 1403, which had the most fantastic balcony. Loved the bathroom, and it was always well replenished with lots of lotions and potions. The towels were of variable quality though, lovely fluffy brown ones one day, and then scratchy white thin ones the next. I was also surprised that there were no tea making facilities in the room. However you do get 2 free bottles of water every day.

The pool area was spectacular, lots of sun beds and umbrellas for all. You could absolutely feel how relaxing it was as an adult’s only hotel. It was blissful without children splashing and playing. The pool boy was very helpful. I think the bar staff could have come around more frequently offering to get drinks from the bar. They did on a couple of occasions appear with free glasses of sangria which was nice.

The staff were excellent, and so friendly. Everyone smiled and said hello and nothing was too much trouble. It was my birthday during the holiday and the hotel surprised me with a couple of boxes of chocolates which I thought was a lovely attentive touch.

Breakfast was everything I expected from a hotel of this calibre. There was something for everyone. Really good quality food and service and nicely done.

We had lunch at the Pool Beach Club La Pérgola which was quite expensive for lunch, but it is a five star hotel, so it was in line with what we expected. A sandwich, a pasta dish, one diet coke and a glass of cava came to approximately 30 euros. For example, the Club sandwich (which always came accompanied with chips) was 9 euros but was a large portion. The Omega 3 tuna and salad sandwich (which always came accompanied with chips) was 7 euros.

The main courses included items like lasagne, penne Bolognese and grilled salmon and were all very good quality. My only niggle is that it would have been nice to have seen a wider choice of more simple sandwiches offered for lunch – without chips.

But the ambiance is fantastic next to the pool, beautifully laid out in exquisite surroundings. The waiters were polite, friendly and couldn’t do enough for you. One day my partner wanted anchovies which were not on the menu as an individual dish, but the chef was happy to prepare a special meal just for him, which is really excellent service!

(If you wanted a good lunch alternative, pop over to the Riu Palace – go in the main entrance and take the lift down to level 6 and walk straight to the pool bar, where you can get good sandwiches, or a salad buffet for around a total of 15-20 euros for two people).

We often had an early evening glass of cava at La Tosca, which is simply lovely overlooking the pool.

The only evening restaurant we tried at the hotel was La Torre Del Mirador, which fast became one of our favourites – see separate review for more information on it.

We found it to be a good hotel in lovely surroundings, with friendly, helpful staff and we intend to return.

Macclesfield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2011

I have just returned from the El Mirador having stayed for 1 week which wasn't nearly long enough. My husband and I had been to Tenerife the year before and stayed in a larger hotel which wasn't by the sea, we went to look at the Mirador in 2010 and liked the look and feel of the hotel so booked for this year. From the moment that we arrived we fell in love with the hotel, all the front of house staff were lovely and very welcoming, On arrival we were offered a glass of cava and given all the information that we required to enable us to feel at home which we did immediately. We booked a superior suite which was on the 4th floor and the view of the ocean from our beautiful suite was to die for. I have worked in catering for over 20 years and was a little concerned about the buffet option as i liked to be served and didn't want to feel herded in a buffet environment. i shouldn't have worried as the buffet restaurant was as good as it gets with loads of choice and the staff could not do enough for you. The head chef prepared special pastas for my husband in the evening which were excellent and the main courses were served at the table, the choices were very extensive despite previous reviews..we were spoiled for choice!! The Head waiter David and his staff were an absolute credit to the hotel, always smiling, happy to make our stay a personal and memorable occasion. All areas of the hotel were the same, my husband and I could not fault the professionalism and commitment of the staff to make our stay as wonderful as possible.
All public areas were immaculate, the hotel is a complete oasis of traquility made all the better because there were no children! I love children and have 2 of my own but it was wonderful not to hear the little souls around the pool areas which were very restful and peaceful.
I have stayed at the Grand Bahia previously and loved it however, this hotel is as good, not as expensive and you are made to feel special because the personal service is so good.
I returned on Friday 28th Jan and on Sat 29th booked again for next year. This hotel is new and is only going to go from strength to strength but in m y opinion for location, food, customer service and pure luxury, the El Miradoe takes some beating.
Special thanks to Emelia and her team who were wonderful.
Lynne

Copenhagen, Denmark
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2011

Iberostar’s El Mirador in Adeje, Tenerife is by no means what it pretends to be. The imposing underground driveway, the faux Roman entrance and the free drinks at the reception notwithstanding, the service doesn't come anywhere close to what one can expect on a five star hotel. Nearly the entire front office staff had bad manners and management was ineffective and very inflexible. We expected a lot after having read all the positive reviews. For example, just as we had sat down to check in, and while the receptionist was still busy on the phone, she grabbed our credit card without even so much as “Welcome”. The junior suite we booked was fine although it could have profited from some preventive maintenance. Some of the food was completely non-descript (some was admittedly very tasty) and the service was, at best, poor. Dirty plates and silverware found on several occasions in the dining room, waiters who spoke no English, and cold and raw food that should have been hot at the a la carte restaurant.

On the 4th day of our twelve day stay, we discovered bugs in our room. Not one or two, but swarms in the drawers, in the bathroom, on the walls. We, of course, told the reception who promised they would send someone up immediately. We asked them not to spray with the pesticide they had showed us because my wife gets muscular pain, dizziness and problems with breathing when in contact with pesticides. We expected they had to spray a lot since there were so many bugs. Twice they came to the door with the same spray - they promised us that the anti-bug spray they used could not be smelled! They promised not to spray. Off we went to dinner. When we returned, we could smell that they had sprayed. My wife got sick again after having to sleep in the room. Naturally we complained again to the manager on duty, Emilia. After much haggling, they offered us another room, which they claimed was an upgrade and larger. It was almost identical to the room we already had, apart from a smaller balcony. It was musty and the furniture needed replacing. Two dead flies and one live bug on the floor – which we killed and brought back to the reception – made no impression. We refused the switch, they refused to repay the unused part (7 days) of our prepaid stay, and we moved.

You decide if you want to stay there, but be careful about your health.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Iberostar Grand Hotel El Mirador? Share your experiences!