“Great Experience” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa

You added Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa to your Saves list
Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Tarporley Road, Whitchurch SY13 4JH, England (Formerly Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Country Club)   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Whitchurch
Brough, United Kingdom
“Great Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2014

Staff were friendly and informative on places to visit.
Food was well prepared and tasty. (we had breakfast & evening meal)
Rooms were of a good size with onsuit facilities
Prices through a discount worked out very reasonable (we stopped 5 nights)
Overall a good experience for both of us, although neither of us played golf or on this occasion used the spa.
I would recommend this hotel as a get away to relax and do your own thing.
Richard & Denise Boyes

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
GMHV, General Manager at Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa, responded to this review, July 1, 2014
Dear Mr Boyes

Thank you for taking the time to post your review following your recent visit to Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your visit, we very much look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Kind regards,

Marc Smith

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
Mold, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2014

This review comes with a massive warning. DO NOT go and drink in the bar without first checking EXACTLY how much you will have to pay for the drinks.

We were lulled into a false sense of security when our first round was ONLY!! around £50.00 for a beer and white wine spritzer round for 9 people. The second round had one more spritzer and one less beer and was £79.00!!!! the bar staff opted to use the most expensive white on the menu for the second round of spritzers which were nearly £15.00 EACH.

On checking out the following day we were promised that we would be contacted by the food and beverage department to discuss the extortionate charge. We have waited nearly 4 weeks and still there has been no contact.

All other aspects of the visit were fine.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Moira J

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments following your recent visit to Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel.

I am very sorry that you found our bar prices to be expensive, we offer a substantial drinks menu that has been carefully selected to offer both great choice and great value.

My bar team would never undercharge a first round of drinks to lull you into a false sense of security, I am very sorry you felt this way. I have investigated your points raised with my team and I have carried out training sessions to ensure bar staff are fully trained in all aspects of drink service.

Thank you once again for bringing these issues to my attention and I do hope they won't deter you from a return visit sometime in the future. Please contact me directly on gm.hillvalley@macdonald-hotels.co.uk where I shall be happy to make all the arrangements for you.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2014

Just back from a weekend golf break at Hill Valley. It's a nice hotel, the rooms are excellent, the staff friendly and helpful. I can't comment on the Spa as I didn't use it.
The Golf was good but the shorter course very hilly.
The food was good and my only issue was the cost of food and drink was very expensive. A large glass of wine £14.00! with 20% discount!! Be warned.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
GMHV, General Manager at Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa, responded to this review, June 12, 2014
Dear David P

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your review following your recent visit to Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel.

I'm pleased that by all accounts, you had a fantastic stay with us. I'm slightly puzzled by your comments regarding the wine prices - we offer a quality selection of wines that range in price from £4.95 to £11.50 per glass, we certainly do not have a wine on our list that is priced at £14.00 with or without discount!

I'm really sorry for the confusion and error here and I do hope it won't put you off a return stay. Should you wish me to look further into this, please contact me direct at gm.hillvalley@macdonal-hotels.co.uk where I will be more than happy to discuss this with you.

Many thanks, Marc Smith.
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2014

Spa day spoilt by incompetent staff and lack of working facilities. Pool was cold , sauna and steam rooms were not working, which is a recurring thing when speaking to the regular members, really wasn't a pleasant spa experience as suggested in the brochure.

Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
GMHV, General Manager at Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa, responded to this review, June 11, 2014
Dear John A

Thank you for taking the time to post your review following your recent Spa Day at Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel. At the outset would you please accept my sincere apologies for the disappointing visit.

We have been experiencing some difficulties with the Sauna and Steam Room but I'm pleased to report that these problems are now fixed and next time you visit I guarantee that you will have a memorable experience - for all the right reasons.

On that note, should you choose to visit us again, please contact me direct at gm.hillvalley@macdonald-hotels.co.uk where I shall make all the arrangements for you.

Once again, my apologies, I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Manchester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2014 via mobile

Haven't stayed here since last year and have to say, lots of improvements - met by excellent receptionist (Harry) who was great after a very long drive, marvellous meal on the Saturday evening with charming and talented service from Rachel, wonderful food (braised beef shin was incredible!) and some pretty great Merlot to go with it!

Overall, very clean hotel, top quality bedroom with loads of room and nice views of the golf course. Definitely back with golf clubs next time, the main course looked very well kept. One final thing worthy of a mention....the General Manager (Marc) cajoled us into checking out late and having Sunday lunch.......what a result THAT was......need to diet for the next six months now....and then go back again! :)

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Dear ScottieManchester

Thank you for your lovely comments following your recent stay at Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel. We're delighted that you enjoyed your stay and that you noticed the improvements we continue to make.

I've passed your kind words over to Harry on reception and Rachel in the restaurant, they are two young members of the team that are a delight to have, they are passionate and enthusiastic in everything they do and we're very proud to have them at Hill Valley.

It was great to talk with you and I'm pleased that you enjoyed our Sunday Lunch and late check out. Sunday Lunch is a new offering for Hill Valley but the reviews have been fantastic.

Once again, thank you for choosing Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

New Milton
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2014

Just returned from enjoyable weekend at Hill Valley. Received a warm welcome and friendly staff continued to be a feature of our stay. Our room and other facilities very good, clean and well maintained.

Only a couple of niggles. For some reason the fire alarm sounded once late on Friday night and then again very early on the Saturday morning, waking up our 17 month child twice! Also, ordered room service and was served decidely burnt chips with burger and found pasta dish a little bland.

Overall, positives greatly outweigh the negatives!

Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Dear David W

Thank you for your comments following your recent stay at Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, I'm pleased that on the whole, you enjoyed your stay with us.

Please accept my apologies for the fire alarm, I'm sorry that it disturbed you and your family. I'm also sorry that your room service was not to our usual high standrads, I have discussed your comments with my Head Chef and Restaurant Manager and I'm confident we wont have this issue again.

Thank you once again for posting your review, we hope to welcome you back again in the near future.

Many thanks, Marc Smith.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

Myself and my other half booked in for a last minute spa day. We arrived and were warnly welcomed by the front of house staff who showed us round the facilities available to us and talked us through how the day worked out and checked times with us, we went through to get changed and found robes and towels in lockers waiting. The spa itself if clean and well facilitated, love the fact it has a relaxation room and a spa lounge both nice extras meaning you can relax without having to be pool side. When the time came for our treatmeants the girls were super professional and again treatmemt rooms clean and well equipped. The whole place has a lovely atmosphere throughout. We had the afternoon tea spa day, the treatment and the afternoon tea were fabulous, generous portions so much so that we couldn't eat all, even though tried so hard... The hotel were kind enough to let us use an empty room to get ready in after spa day as I had evening plans and there wasnt plug sockets to straighten hair. All over a great day, staff couldnt of done more to help or make our day perfect. Definitely will go back.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Hannah C

Thank you for taking the time to post your review following your recent visit to Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, I'm delighted that you enjoyed your Spa Day.

I have passed your kind comments over to the team, it's rewarding to read that their hard work is recognised.

Once again, many thanks for your post, we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Kind regards, Marc Smith.

Been to Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa? Share your experiences!