“Hit and Miss” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa

You added Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa to your Saves list
Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Tarporley Road, Whitchurch SY13 4JH, England (Formerly Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Country Club)   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Whitchurch
Lindfield, United Kingdom
“Hit and Miss”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

This was a mid-week break on D,B & B basis. The room was lovely and spacious and very comfortable. First night's sleep was destroyed at 6.00am by a spurious fire alarm. Very disappointed that there was no formal apology from the hotel. When asking about this, I was told they couldn't because they did not know exactly what caused the problem!! Not concerned what caused it but surely they should apologise first to the guests affected.
My wife had an excellent spa treatment at a very good price and the pool area is pleasant to relax in.
We were not expecting gourmet food but it certainly was not four star either. When they cannot produce good fresh chips then you start to worry and chunks of broccoli/cauliflower/carrots are lazy veg. The menu is full of promises and background but the food in general disappoints. The best course I had was the asparagus/duck egg/ crispy bacon. This was not shown on the menu or offered as a choice but luckily I saw it on a poster in the foyer! The restaurant is need of a facelift and better tables and the plastic roofed conservatory is an draughty eyesore. Breakfast was good and recommend the black pudding.
Various young middle managers were very friendly but overall there seemed to be bit of a staff shortfall as we had to seek out service quite often. A better lounge area for resident couples/singles rather than the soulless bar area/foyer is needed.
All in all a hit and miss experience - maybe golfers are more forgiving of the deficiencies.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the golf course are better as entry road is on the other side.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
Leeds, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

We stayed here as a gift from our son and daughter in law to celebrate our wedding anniversary. All of the staff in the hotel, without exception, were extremely friendly and efficient. We were even asked if we wanted our room serviced, and if so what time. We were on a dinner, bed & breakfast package and found the food to be of excellent quality. The room was large and had the advantage of French doors which could be opened to take full advantage of the views over the golf course. Being a golf resort there were, of course, plenty of golfers in large and small groups but in no way did they affect the overall wonderful experience of this weekend.

Room Tip: If you have a room which isn't on the ground floor you can leave the French doors open to get fr...
Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
GMHV, General Manager at Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa, responded to this review, June 13, 2013
Many thanks for taking the time to pass on your feedback following your recent stay with us here at Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa. Hill Valley is a perfect location to celebrate such things like wedding anniversary’s as you really get a sense of relaxing and getting away from it all. I am delighted that you had an enjoyable stay with I sincerely hope you decide to return to Hill Valley again sometime in the future. Kind regards, Terence P Southward
Devon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

Booked through secret escapes we had 2 lovely nights at an excellent rate. Though I frequently have to stay in hotels alone for work, it's not something I relish; I was by myself on the first night and felt comfortable and welcomed and enjoyed an excellent meal in the restaurant.

I was joined on the second night by my husband, we enjoyed excellent service in the bar - not sure that I would have gone in there by myself, the bar is large, bright and rather soulless, no little corners for a lone female to tuck herself into with her kindle - followed by another super meal in the restaurant. Breakfast was excellent and cooked to order.

The room we stayed in was a "classic double" it housed 2 comfortable chairs and one of the largest beds I've ever seen! The bathroom had both a bath and a separate shower cubicle.

I have booked another stay!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
GMHV, General Manager at Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa, responded to this review, May 24, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to pass on your comments following your recent stay with us here at Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa. It is always very pleasing to receive such feedback from our guests and even more pleasing that you have already booked another stay with us! I look forward to welcoming you and your husband back to the hotel again in the near future. Kind regards, Terence P Southward
Braintree, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

Stayed 1 night with a group on Dinner B&B plus 2 rounds of golf, could not fault the golf courses as they had been under snow a few weeks before our visit. Hotel was very clean thoughout, rooms where a good size, the staff from the moment we arrived till we left could not have done anymore (10 out of 10). Breakfast was excellent, freshly cooked and hot,the cold buffet had a good selection and everything was nice and fresh. Evening meal was ok but nothing special. The down side was being kept awake with people running along the corridors between 2 and 4am!!! but would still recommend it for a golf break.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Many thanks for passing on your much valued feedback following your recent golf break here at Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa. I am delighted that you had an enjoyable stay with us and I certainly hope you decide to return to Hill Valley again in the future. Kind regards, Terence P Southward
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

I have never been here before but came for some pampering with my friend. We were able to book in early which was a bonus and a big Thank you to Harry on reception for sorting this out and the little problem of which room we were having.
There is also a refreshment lounge at the top of the stairs before you go down to the spa, where you can sit and relax with free coffee and tea before having any treatments or you can go and enjoy the facilities on offer.
I had two treatments as part of my package and i had a back massage and a facial, both of which were lovely. i also had another treatment the next day as there was a special offer on of 50% off . I was lucky enough to have a lovely girl called Sophie (with blonde hair,as i think there are 2 sophies ) who was very professional and put me at ease straight away and would like to say a big Thank You to her also.
As for the food, i was amazed by the three course meal and must say how delicious it was and also the breakfast choice -too much for me to manage, but very nice.
I really enjoyed my stay here and am thinking of bringing my step-daughter for her 18th next year.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
What a wonderful review! Thank you for taking the time to pass on your feedback following your recent spa break here at Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa. We spent over £400,000 on our spa refurbishment last year which included a rasul, additional treatment rooms and our exclusive spa lounge and I am delighted that you and your friend enjoyed your stay with us and made the most of our new facilities. I look forward to welcoming you and your step daughter to the hotel in the near future where I am certain you will have another relaxing stay with us. Kind regards, Terence P Southward
Grenoble, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

Our guests (our party had 20 rooms booked) found the rooms to be of a high standard and the staff were polite and very professional with a personal touch. Not easy to achieve.
The wedding day went without a hitch and we were inundated with comments regarding the fantastic food and service.
We have stayed here before on trips and found the Hotel to be of a high standard and service to match, which is why we choose it for our wedding and our guest agreed, so it made our day.
We would definitely recommend their wedding service and I’m sure that we, and several of our guest will be returning to the Hotel in the future.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Firstly I would like to congratulate you and wish you every happiness for the future. Thank you very much for your wonderful feedback in relation to your recent event held here at Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa. I am conscious how stressful and time consuming the organisation of such events can be and I am extremely happy that the day went according to plan and your guests enjoyed the celebrations. I sincerely hope to see you back here at Hill Valley again very soon. Kind regards, Terence P Southward
Aberdeen
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

Lovely setting in the middle of two golf courses so really quiet. Hotel was immaculate throughout, obviously brilliant housekeeping team. Large rooms with separate seating area and flat screen TV. Huge bathroom with separate shower and bath. Staff were fabulous, especially Harry on reception who went the extra mile for us, and the golf pro who leant us his umbrella from the boot of his car! Breakfast was lovely with cold buffet selection but hot main course, cooked freshly for us, the best of both worlds.
The only reason I have not given a fully deserved five stars was due to the awful bed which squeaked all night, totally not fit for purpose. On reporting it staff were excellent, offering us a change of room and sincere apologies. We couldn't do this as we were heading out to a wedding. They came in and changed the mattress which did make it better. Am assured they are looking at changing the beds which is much needed.
Other than the bed our trip was great and would definitely stay here again. If you like golf I would highly recommend!

Room Tip: Try and get a room overlooking the golf course not the car park
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for passing on your much value comments in relation to your recent stay with us here at Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa. I was delighted to read that you had a wonderful stay with us and I can assure you that a capital project for bed replacements is being processed with our head office at present and I would hope to have the new beds very soon. Once again many thanks for your feedback and I hope to welcome you back to the hotel again in the near future. Kind regards, Terence P Southward

Been to Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa? Share your experiences!