This was a mid-week break on D,B & B basis. The room was lovely and spacious and very comfortable. First night's sleep was destroyed at 6.00am by a spurious fire alarm. Very disappointed that there was no formal apology from the hotel. When asking about this, I was told they couldn't because they did not know exactly what caused the problem!! Not concerned what caused it but surely they should apologise first to the guests affected.
My wife had an excellent spa treatment at a very good price and the pool area is pleasant to relax in.
We were not expecting gourmet food but it certainly was not four star either. When they cannot produce good fresh chips then you start to worry and chunks of broccoli/cauliflower/carrots are lazy veg. The menu is full of promises and background but the food in general disappoints. The best course I had was the asparagus/duck egg/ crispy bacon. This was not shown on the menu or offered as a choice but luckily I saw it on a poster in the foyer! The restaurant is need of a facelift and better tables and the plastic roofed conservatory is an draughty eyesore. Breakfast was good and recommend the black pudding.
Various young middle managers were very friendly but overall there seemed to be bit of a staff shortfall as we had to seek out service quite often. A better lounge area for resident couples/singles rather than the soulless bar area/foyer is needed.
All in all a hit and miss experience - maybe golfers are more forgiving of the deficiencies.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Escape to Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa in the heart of Shropshire, a golfer's paradise with two challenging courses to get your teeth into and a wonderful Spa with Rasul, rock sauna and eight treatment rooms for those who just want to lounge around and relax. Surrounded by peaceful grounds, it's amazing how accessible this hotel is in Whitchurch on the A49 and close to the major motorways; M53, M56, M6 and M54. Be inspired with plenty of local attractions on your doorstep including nearby Chester Zoo and the Ironbridge Museums and after a busy day, retire back to the hotel for a delicious meal produced using only the finest, quality ingredients. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Priceline and Agoda so you can book your Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Country Club Hotel Whitchurch
- Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf And Country Club
- Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel Country
- Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa Whitchurch, Shropshire, UK