“christmas party night stay over” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa

You added Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa to your Saves list
Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Tarporley Road, Whitchurch SY13 4JH, England (Formerly Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Country Club)   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Whitchurch
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
“christmas party night stay over”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

Stayed at this hotel for a christmas party night, we were joined by 2 other couples. The party meal consisted of 3 courses in which the main course was a carvery, we were serve with the starter at the table where as we had to leave the table for the main and sweet. The staff were proficient in direction and clearing tables, my one cripe was that whenthe dinners were eating, a small group of staff stood talking and I had to get up and walk over to them to get their attention for them to refill the water jug which there was one of for a table of 8. The hotel was clean, spaceous rooms. There was a buffet breakfast, with cooked english breakfast serve to you at the table, cant fault it or the staff. We found that the prices at the bar were high, for when we arrive our party were going to have lunch but even tea was the same price as a spirit from the bar, so we left and had lunch elsewhere. All 3 couples said how uncomfortable the beds were and very creeky, to the degree that everytime you moved it woke each other. The spa was relaxing with the pool, sauna and steamroom, 4 of us experienced a wonderful 1/2 hour massage. We would probably return.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
GMHV, General Manager at Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa, responded to this review, February 2, 2013
Many thanks for taking the time to pass on your feedback following your recent spa break here at Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa. I was pleased that on the whole you enjoyed your stay with us; however I was disappointed to read your comments about the banqueting team. I have spoken with my food services manger about this and instructed him to address this at future events. I have also spoken to my housekeeping manager about the quality of the beds and I am pleased to tell you that we are intending to replace a large majority of our bed stock within the next couple of months. I sincerely hope you decide to return to Hill Valley again later in the year as we are investing quite heavily in the property with brand new lounge furniture, an exciting new sports bar and new luxury bedding for all of our bedrooms. Kind regards, Terence P Southward

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
Stonehouse, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

This is a modern hotel, with staff who do their best. The restaurant is bright, not very atmospheric, almost stark in appearance and the food is good quality, though not on a par with other Macdonald Hotels. The rooms are large and very clean, with complimentary mineral water and as we booked an executive room, we had a bottle of wine waiting for us. The executive rooms are on the ground floor with a small terrace area outside right on the golf course. However there is no partition between each terrace, and so there is no privacy between each room. That is fine in the winter, but may be not in the summer when you might be able to sit outside. The TV in the room has Sky Sports, but this is linked in to the TV in the "Sports Bar", so you cannot really watch what you want. The Sports Bar is just an area off the bar with a TV and people just have the TV on without necessarily watching what was on and so if you wanted to watch the Sports in your room, this could not really be achieved. The swimming pool and sauna areas are fine, although there are not enough loungers to satisfy staying guests and pamper day guests. We had a problem with our key card as it did not work on the second day, which took the reception staff some time to rectify.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to pass on your comments following your recent stay with us here at Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa. It was slightly disappointing to read your comments in relation to your visit; however I genuinely feel you have some valid points to make. I have been in discussions for the last 12 months with the Macdonald board in relation to investment in 2013. I am delighted to tell you that within the next 2-3 months we are launching a new sports bar which will be fitted with large screens for sport & a snooker table; all the furniture in the lounge and reception is to be replaced with much more modern furniture keeping in tune with the rest of the hotel and we are considering erecting partitions on our ground floor executive block. I would urge you to re-visit Hill Valley later in the year where I am convinced you will change your opinion. Kind regards, Terence P Southward
Derby, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

Just returned today from an overnight stay - my partner booked a special deal to celebrate my 50th birthday which included a full body massage for the both of us (was supposed to be in a dual room but ended up being in two separate rooms), a cream tea of sandwiches and scones, use of the spa and pool area, a three course meal, an overnight stay in an executive bedroom with a complementary bottle of wine and then a fully cooked breakfast the following morning. Our room was spacious and exceptionally clean and the bed was incredibly comfortable. The food throughout was delicious and plentiful. The hotel was lovely and quiet which suited us down to the ground. What stands out most for us, however, was the professionalism and friendliness of all the staff we encountered but we must put a special shout out for Esther, Bernard and Nigel - a real credit to the staff team. All in all a really lovely 24 hour stay and would definitely venture back.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
I would like to take the opportunity of thanking you for taking time out to feedback to us following your spa break late last year. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and I do hope you will visit again in the summer when the hotel and grounds are at their best. We do have such a wonderful hotel with magnificent facilities; however it is the team of people that work here that make the difference and I was very pleased to read your comments in relation to the members of staff you came across during your visit. I will be sure to pass on your comments to the people concerned. Kind regards, Terence P Southward
Keelby, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

Freinds and i, had a golf break in the summer and had a great time. Its a modern hotel, but unlike some places i've been, retains a real freindly atmosphere. All the staff were very accomodating. The place is located in a lovely setting. Lots of good things about it, although bar prices are what you come to expect. Expensive. Food was very good, included in the price. The snooker room needs sorting out, you keep banging your cue against the wall. Rooms tidy, but had some telly problems. Would recommend it to anyone,oh and the golf course was in my top ten.
gray and lads

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Many thanks for taking the time to pass on your feedback following your stay here at Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa at the back end of last year. It was very pleasing to see that you and your friends enjoyed your experience. You will be pleased to hear that the snooker table has now been relocated in our new sports bar which will be opened at the end of March. I look forward to welcoming you back maybe later in the year as the Emerald Course is spectacular in the summer. Kind regards, Terence P Southward
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for 2 nights, as some of our party (of 6) were attending a nearby charity 'Tough Mudder' event. The reception staff were really friendly and helped us with booking taxis and room service at 11pm (although only cold room service after 10pm). The rooms were clean and spacious, lovely bathrooms and juliet balconys, or ask for ground floor if you smoke as they have tables outside. Our room was ready promptly at 2pm, we arrived a little early and the reception held our bags while we had a drink at the bar.

There are allot of bad reviews re the price of drinks, we had a few in the hotel, £4 a pint roughly, which to be honest I think is pretty standard, it is more exspensive than a pub but it always is in hotels, the same for food, we had breakfast included and some late night sandwhiches after spending the night in the pub! (room service always costs too much!) But the price of the hotel, general drinks and breakfast is not over priced. There are great places to eat and drink in Whitchurch too! take a shaort walk or a £5 cab.

The breakfast was very good, as it is with other Macdonald hotels I have stayed in. Full cooked breakfast table service and plenty of youghurts, cheese and ham, cereals, fruit and pastires etc to choose from.

The local town of Whitchurch is quaint and full of freindly locals, thanks to Simon and Debbie for showing us all the good pubs!

The staff were really friendly and even turned a blind eye to us coming in covered in mud after the charity run in chomley castle (which is a beautiful setting).

The swimming pool was clean and warm, with a sauna, steam and rainforest shower (i didn't try out the gym, treatments or golf). The only thing it oculd do with is a jacuzzi!!!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
GMHV, General Manager at Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa, responded to this review, November 24, 2012
I would like to thank you for taking the time to pass on your feedback in relation to your recent stay here at Macdonald Hill Valley Spa, Hotel & Golf. I am thoroughly delighted that you had an enjoyable experience here at Hill Valley and I certainly hope you will return when the event is held again next year. Kind regards, Terence P Southward
Colchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for two nights with 4 other family members for a family wedding locally.
We found the staff from the moment of arrival were welcoming, smiling, and helpful.

The rooms were comfortable, large, and clean. The TV reception was extremely poor and let the room down. This however was the only fault with the room. The walls weren't paper-thin and you didn't hear doors slamming through the night.

We had dinner in the main restaurant for the first night and sat in the conservatory. The staff were very attentive and the food was decent. The only complaint of the meal is that a couple of items on the menu were unavailable and had to be changed. This only came to light around 10 minutes after the waiter took our orders. Perhaps the kitchen team would let the waiting staff know of food not being available so they could inform guests before deciding their choices.

The breakfast (although very pricey if you are only eating a bowl of cereal / some toast - £17.50 each) was excellent. Everything, where possible, was locally sourced food items which made the breakfast nicer and a bit more unique. The waiting staff again were excellent and very attentive. There was an endless supply of tea, coffee, and toast for our group and we weren't rushed either. They were also more than happy to substitute food without a grumble.

Overall a very high standard hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
GMHV, General Manager at Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
Many thanks for taking the time to pass on your much valued feedback following your recent stay here at Macdonald Hill Valley Spa, Hotel & Golf. It was very pleasing reading through your detailed feedback and I was delighted that you enjoyed your experience on the whole.

I have asked my maintenance manager to investigate the television reception for the bedrooms and have already spoken at length with my executive head chef about the availability of menu items. I understand that we will run out of certain items from time to time; however I have emphasised the importance of managing the food & beverage menus much more closely and also how important it is to communicate this with his restaurant team.

I sincerely hope you will return to Hill Valley sometime in the future and maybe take advantage of our wonderful newly refurbished spa facilities as I am conscious you may not have found the time last weekend due to your family wedding. Kind regards, Terence P Southward
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

Just been for an overnight stay with two other couples. Lovely and clean. Bedrooms spacious and cosy. Superb shower. Drinks and bar food is really expensive, price way too high for the type of food available, but food was well presented and was fresh but still too pricy. The evening meal (inc in price) was good. Reasonable choice for table d hote which makes a nice change. All staff were really welcoming, pleasant and helpful, nothing was too much trouble. The boys enjoyed the two rounds of golf too!!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
I would like to thank you for taking the time to pass on your feedback following your recent stay with us here at Macdonald Hill Valley Spa, Hotel & Golf. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us; however I was disappointed to read your comments in relation to our prices. I can assure you that a great deal of time and competitor analysis is taken before setting our prices, and we feel that our food & beverage prices are in line with similar four star golf resorts. I was also delighted to read your comments in relation to the staff here at the hotel and I will be sure to pass on your kind words to the team. I do hope to see you back at Hill Valley again in the near future. Kind regards, Terence P Southward

Been to Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa? Share your experiences!